• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Aiii

So not worth it
If these are supposed to be the best drivers in the world then I think it's okay to expect them to be able to start consistently well without a computer helping them.

Agreed, putting more emphasis on the driver's is a good development.

Having a driver or two stall or lose ten places due to a slip up at the start only adds to the excitement.

If these are supposed to be the best drivers in the world then I think it's okay to expect them to be able to start consistently well without a computer helping them.

Yup, the computerised starts are utter bullshit. I remember being so disappointed watching them keep going round before the start and doing practice starts at the end of the pits. Some drivers had four or five goes at it. Ridiculous.

acm2000

funny how differently people react to vettel as soon as he steps in to a ferrari

same driver, same ability we all knew he had, different colour car

AndyD

aka andydumi
Anyone get general seating a the Circuit of America? Thinking about going this year but can't swing the $250-300 bleacher seats. I wonder how the experience is on the grass.

We did it and it's fantastic. There are several good spots to watch from with the best being the first turn area as it's raised and they slow down significantly right in front of you.

hitgirl

We did it and it's fantastic. There are several good spots to watch from with the best being the first turn area as it's raised and they slow down significantly right in front of you.

Ah yes, first turn seemed great. So did the area around all the food stands. Did you have to get there early to get a good viewing area of first time? Or could I roll up and find a decent spot?

tomtom94

They usually can. I just don't understand these new measures. How does it affect the race if the team are suggesting clutch settings over the radio, or drivers are doing practice starts to get used to the clutch? All it does is make all the drivers more likely to make random mistakes. I don't get why that's a positive. It's fucking hard to get an F1 car to start consistently by their very nature. That's why we have these issues in the first place, and they're still not perfect as they are now (as Mercedes proved on Sunday and Webber proved multiple times while at Red Bull). I don't get why making it harder does anything except make the start slower and more likely to be filled with mistakes.

I mean, I get that it's happening, I get why it's happening, I just think it's counterproductive from a viewing perspective.

I fail to see how mixing up the grid is counterproductive from a viewing perspective. Cars out of position has always made for good viewing.

With regard to the start, these aren't random mistakes, these are the best drivers in the world controlling their car. Should be also provide traction control? I mean, avoiding wheelspin is hard and can compromise them in on the start and on the exit of corners.

Shaneus

I love this:
The FIA adds that the “bite point update from the bite point finder should be disabled by setting BBitePointFinderUsed to zero.”
They make it sound like it's a flag used in the ini file of Codies' F1 2015 game.

Back to the roots, I say!

hqsg2sf.jpg
Jaguar morphed (eventually) into RBR? I think I knew that, but it's been a VERY long time.

Sadly I don't think there's a classy way RB blue and AM green could be merged. But I still think they're a better match than with Infiniti.

tomtom94

I fail to see how mixing up the grid is counterproductive from a viewing perspective. Cars out of position has always made for good viewing.
Because it makes F1 look amateurish. And it makes the starts slower.

With regard to the start, these aren't random mistakes, these are the best drivers in the world controlling their car.
Then they need to be allowed to control the car to the best of their ability. But we're restricting them being able to do that by the very nature of these rules. I don't understand why a team shouldn't be allowed to pass on data to a driver given it's still up to the driver to implement it. And people arguing that drivers shouldn't take practice starts... really?

Should be also provide traction control? I mean, avoiding wheelspin is hard and can compromise them in on the start and on the exit of corners.
No, traction control over the bulk of the lap makes driving less challenging and I'm glad it's banned.

Like, if you want me to explain my position, I can't really say much besides I think the start should be fast and I don't enjoy watching drivers suffer because the clutch didn't kick in. Broadly speaking I think the 'driver control' reforms have ignored the amount of extra controls a driver now has to deal with in the course of a lap, as well as the fine margins between success and failure, but like I say, I understand why they're being implemented. I just think the way they're being implemented makes the sport worse.

There is no "clutch didn't kick in"... there's "I let the clutch out too soon" or "I misjudged the bite point". It's exactly as it is now, but based on the driver's ability to judge the bitepoint for themselves rather than having a computer do it.

... and fuck yes I'm arguing against practice starts, at least as they exist now. Watching drivers go round the course multiple times to pit exit is farcical. Doing them in any of the practice sessions is just fine by me, or even just one or two on race day. Not as many as they feel like.

tomtom94

... and fuck yes I'm arguing against practice starts, at least as they exist now. Watching drivers go round the course multiple times to pit exit is farcical. Doing them in any of the practice sessions is just fine by me, or even just one or two on race day. Not as many as they feel like.

I think this is a ridiculous viewpoint and I think I'll just leave it at that.

Fox Mulder

Just posting this here seeing as I just noticed it, but there's an OT for the F1 2015 game: F1 2015 |OT| Bernie says "Think before you buy.”

I can't remember... is this the one that Codies were half-assing so they could put the next game in their new engine? Or am I thinking of 2014 and *this* is the new one?

They presumably half assed 2014 while building up a new engine for this 2015 release.

It's lacking features, but looks pretty and hopefully the handling and AI are good.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Ah yes, first turn seemed great. So did the area around all the food stands. Did you have to get there early to get a good viewing area of first time? Or could I roll up and find a decent spot?

We got to the track hours early, maybe 3-4 hours because of the various support races that happen early on the day of. We got a good spot, but it fills up fast, maybe with an hour or two to go it becomes near impossible to find a good spot. And by good spot I mean enough room for a blanket and chairs for 4+ people.

If you just show up with a backpack and want to stand or sit on the ground, you can always squeeze in as people mill about and move around the whole time, just don't show up 5 minutes before the start and expect to stand in the perfect spot in front of others who have been there for hours as you will get called out on it if you try it.

All in all it's a great experience and people are friendly but it's like any other live event, be considerate of those around you.

Zeknurn

The FIA has confirmed a 21-race F1 schedule for 2016 – which will be the busiest in the sport’s history.

As expected the event in Baka, Azerbaijan has been added in July, while the German GP is back after missing this year.

The other major changes are that the Russian GP has moved from October to May, as the fourth race of the season, whiloe Malaysia has moved to September, and is now twinned with Singapore.

GysQb5q.png
http://adamcooperf1.com/2015/07/10/fia-confirms-21-race-2016-f1-schedule/

tomtom94

That opening stretch makes a lot of sense, though I'd probably push Baku up to be either immediately before or after Sochi.

The most obvious casualty to knock it down to 20 races is Germany if they have payment issues again. I could also see Hungary or Austria missing out.

Is Malaysia's move to September to do with the rain?

EDIT: Other things announced: Honda get a fifth engine (which... eh, not going to do anything with it anyway), power unit penalties now only affect grid position (fine), Formula E champion gets a superlicence (surely that should be the other way round given the thread title)

http://adamcooperf1.com/2015/07/10/...to-engine-penalties-and-super-licence-system/

Chris R

Im definitely gonna try to go to Austin next year.

I still might get to go this year... There is a conference work might pay for me to attend in Austin the work week after the race. If I go to the conference you better bet your ass I'm flying down early to catch the race.

tomtom94

Is the Jersey GP not happening anymore? I thought it was supposed to be ready for 2016.

next year

next year

"Formula One President and CEO Bernie Ecclestone has stated that the promoters are in breach of contract and that new proposals from other parties would be welcome."

DBT85

Yeah looks a little bland.

Tilkes comments

“For example, there will be an extremely narrow uphill section at the old town wall that will reward pinpoint accuracy and courage,” he said.

“And we have an acceleration section of almost 2.2 kilometres along the promenade which will see the cars running flat out at very high top speeds – something that will create an incredible spectacle for the race fans on track and the viewers at home.”

EDIT: Far more importantly, might we finally be getting a viable successor to the Grand Prix Manager and Grand Prix World games? After years of GPRM never actually getting anywhere, a new contender has appeared.

World Championship Race Team Manager 2015 got greenlit on steam in April and they said about 3 weeks ago that they are hoping to get a small demo out this month.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=334059290
http://www.raceteamgame.com/index.html

Yeah looks a little bland.

Tilkes comments

EDIT: Far more importantly, might we finally be getting a viable successor to the Grand Prix Manager and Grand Prix World games? After years of GPRM never actually getting anywhere, a new contender has appeared.

World Championship Race Team Manager 2015 got greenlit on steam in April and they said about 3 weeks ago that they are hoping to get a small demo out this month.

That is really great news. I'd rather play a good manager game than one of Codemasters' racing games.

Is this the layout for Baku? It looks terrible

CJnOtXsUAAA04d0.jpg
Hello Valencia 2.0. I fucking hate street circuits. Is there any don't this will result in a dreadful race? I think Singapore is the only decent street course on the calendar, and it's still pretty crumby. No bueno.

tomtom94

As someone who still occasionally plays the EA F1 Manager for the hilarity points, this is good to see... but I don't think it's a coincidence that (with the exception of the Kalypso games which I'm told are terrible) every single time I've seen someone try to make one they've hit problems.

DBT85

As someone who still occasionally plays the EA F1 Manager for the hilarity points, this is good to see... but I don't think it's a coincidence that (with the exception of the Kalypso games which I'm told are terrible) every single time I've seen someone try to make one they've hit problems.

I guess it will all depend on how far they get.

GPRM looked to be the thing we all wanted but after 12 years its still not made an appearance and the devs can go 6 months without saying anything about the project.

This one at least has gotten to Steam and might manage to get into early access.

I've said to them via facebook that communication is paramount after other games that have been promised and never appeared, and that following something like the Kerbal idea of just a paragraph every week from each member about what they are doing.

Tired of hearing the "well that's time that could be spent making the game" argument over little bits of info like that. Writing a paragraph doesn't take that much time out of your week and keeps the fans connected with the development of a game they've paid to access before release. That's assuming this gets that far.

Fox Mulder

Talk of Honda using all of their tokens for Hungary PU, redesigned combustion chamber, new valves, modified turbo, 70bhp boost.

would be nice if they actually get their shit together instead of wasting a year of two veteran drivers. I've just tuned out anything mclaren or honda say anymore until I see it on track.

Merhi made himself look quite bad in the World Series race that just finished.

He caused a huge crash when he braked hard just after the finish line when he had two cars still fighting for position at full speed right behind him. One of them went into his back at high speed and flipped over.

Top Bottom