• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Shaneus

Merhi almost stopping after crossing finish line and getting 10 second penalty for track limits - result:

CJtBop0WcAANvQT.jpg:orig

http://imgur.com/MHjYU8o

Fucking idiot.
Wow.

WOW.

DBT85

Ahh ok, the gif doesn't really show why the other car was on that line but with the video and seeing the fight for position it makes more sense.

Bizarre decision to slow down that much after the flag but I guess in his mind he was off line.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
46XMGz0.gif

Don't know if Merhi deserves all the blame. The guy behind him could have seen him earlier. Sure, he was distracted by the fight for position, and slowing down that much was wrong. But such slowdowns happen in F1 too, especially when a driver wants to cheer to his pit crew.

Shaneus

Don't know if Merhi deserves all the blame. The guy behind him could have seen him earlier. Sure, he was distracted by the fight for position, and slowing down that much was wrong. But such slowdowns happen in F1 too, especially when a driver wants to cheer to his pit crew.
Not when there are fights for positions directly behind them there isn't.

Dilly

Banned
While Merhi is a bit of an idiot to brake that hard after the finish line, he did do it quite far away from the racing line.

Aiii

So not worth it
Well the toffs don't like to let just anyone in.
cBj1LTf.png

He should have flown in on his private jet, I guess.

And by that I mean he should have had them land it right in Wimbledon. That'll show them who's the British Elite 'round there.

Shaneus

Welp:
Rival teams were critical of Merhi's actions in the opening race, citing that drivers had been warned in the briefing not to slow too much after the finish, but to wait until Turn 1.
There you have it.

Edit: I hadn't refreshed the cached version of this page, already mentioned. Also, it's common fucking sense.

He should've went dressed like this:
the-bare-11.jpg

You'd think with the amount of clothes Hugo Boss probably sends him he'd have more clothes that isn't such a visual affront.

Party pooper alert!

I'm not sure if I get the point of the "Hamilton wears..." posts anymore. While it was "weird" or "ridiculous" at the beginning, it only was because we're not used to seeing F1 drivers in those hyper-fashion outfits ("gentleman driver", suits, etc). However, he's sticking to it and made it his style. So it's not just an one-off thing to get attention. And for that, more power to him.

I just feel like we should be over it by now

Aiii

So not worth it
I think he looks fine.

I mean, I'm a nerdy white dude and couldn't pull off such swag, but on Hammy it's fine.

Ark

Party pooper alert!

I'm not sure if I get the point of the "Hamilton wears..." posts anymore. While it was "weird" or "ridiculous" at the beginning, it only was because we're not used to seeing F1 drivers in those hyper-fashion outfits ("gentleman driver", suits, etc). However, he's sticking to it and made it his style. So it's not just an one-off thing to get attention. And for that, more power to him.

Sure, it's still funny that he was turned away from Wimbledon.

Party pooper alert!

I think it's done in good fun, like how people would tease how Schumacher used to dress.

Sure, it's still funny that he was turned away from Wimbledon.

Sure. On the other hand, it think it was Brundle who said on Twitter, that if you invite Hamilton, you should expect him to dress like Hamilton. Not that they should make an exception for him. But it should've been expected.

hitgirl

We got to the track hours early, maybe 3-4 hours because of the various support races that happen early on the day of. We got a good spot, but it fills up fast, maybe with an hour or two to go it becomes near impossible to find a good spot. And by good spot I mean enough room for a blanket and chairs for 4+ people.

If you just show up with a backpack and want to stand or sit on the ground, you can always squeeze in as people mill about and move around the whole time, just don't show up 5 minutes before the start and expect to stand in the perfect spot in front of others who have been there for hours as you will get called out on it if you try it.

All in all it's a great experience and people are friendly but it's like any other live event, be considerate of those around you.

Thanks for the info! Just bought my plane tickets. Can't wait as I had a blast last year.

Business

While Merhi is a bit of an idiot to brake that hard after the finish line, he did do it quite far away from the racing line.

True, it's unfortunate because it was not probable somebody would be coming fast where Mehri was, but it happened and yes he is an idiot.

dubc35

I'm not sure if I am going to miss the German GP or not. Given the choice between a GP and no GP, I would pick a GP. However I'm not sure I will really miss this one.

Only two GPs until September though. :(

Fernando Alonso dropped into Daytona Sandown Park earlier this week and demonstrated all the skill that has made him a two-time Formula One World Champion by storming to the third-fastest time on the track’s Superstars board.

cda950a7-395e-4dcf-92e1-edb0fadb306c.jpg

The 33-year-old’s 45.627s effort placed him third on the prestigious Superstars leaderboard – ahead of motor sport luminaries of the ilk of Timo Glock, Julian Bailey and Tom Kristensen and global megastars Brad Pitt, Hugh Grant and Guy Ritchie. He was only marginally adrift of FIA Formula E Championship ace Sam Bird, who began his racing career at Daytona Sandown Park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7DRKG1zx2g

On a theoretical level that's fine, but you've got to be willing to use that extra acceleration / top speed / brake later / corner harder... at six years old.

AndyD

aka andydumi
On a theoretical level that's fine, but you've got to be willing to use that extra acceleration / top speed / brake later / corner harder... at six years old.

I agree but were not talking F1 car forces. IIRC it's 1-2G at most in karts.

I just thought it was worth mentioning the weigh difference. I know when I go to a kart place as an adult, little kids regularly go faster because they carry so much less weight so they can accelerate quicker and brake later. The attendants even mention whether there's a lot of small kids on track as a warning to watch out for them catching up and passing regularly because the carts are top speed throttled so acceleration/braking become much more crucial.

If you can deploy your MGU-K power on the straights on every lap, that is worth a lot of time. Today we can't do that.

Confirmation of the gimped hybrid system, how much is 100bhp worth in time?

Asked, however, when Honda will finally break through and begin to perform adequately, Arai answered: "Soon, I promise.

"In the second half of the season. I hope from Spa-Francorchamps.

"I would say that we have built a good foundation for development. It is in line with our planning and we advance step by step. The goals are being met.

"Ok," Arai continued, "I know that the results are not in line with the expectations of the fans, but we know what we are doing. Please give us some time.

"The second half of the season will be better, believe me," he concluded.

In the Honda Spa revival I believe.

dubc35

Confirmation of the gimped hybrid system, how much is 100bhp worth in time?

In the Honda Spa revival I believe.

I used to know this but I have since forgot (read: know as in read it from someone smarter than me, Scarbs I believe). It was something like 0.016 seconds per bhp per lap. Something like that? If that rate is correct, 100bhp would be 1.6 seconds per lap.

edit, found it
F1 engineers have a formula for working out what a lap-time deficit is equivalent to in terms of horsepower. This is, on average, 0.016secs per bhp.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/31942251

Aegus

I agree but were not talking F1 car forces. IIRC it's 1-2G at most in karts.

I just thought it was worth mentioning the weigh difference. I know when I go to a kart place as an adult, little kids regularly go faster because they carry so much less weight so they can accelerate quicker and brake later. The attendants even mention whether there's a lot of small kids on track as a warning to watch out for them catching up and passing regularly because the carts are top speed throttled so acceleration/braking become much more crucial.

The DMax karts go 85 mph. When I went up a class in karting my arms killed me with the extra speed I was taking through corners. Either that or the ton of lead strapped to my seat to keep me above weight.

Top Bottom