• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Their hands are tired with what the can do, they have very limited development available to them. Just a few tokens and these are highly complex devices.
Yes, its a big boys game and you need to bring your A-game, they went an interesting route to try and beat Mercedes but it hasn't worked so far. But their development path isn't over yet.

cda950a7-395e-4dcf-92e1-edb0fadb306c.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7DRKG1zx2g

This clip was more entertaining than the past 9 f1 GPs combined

I'm serious

That workforce breakdown is pretty interesting. 50/60/90 (US/UK/Italy). Haas is as interesting an entry as we've had in many years. They could very well end up being the new blueprint for non-manufacturers.

dubc35

That workforce breakdown is pretty interesting. 50/60/90 (US/UK/Italy). Haas is as interesting an entry as we've had in many years. They could very well end up being the new blueprint for non-manufacturers.

I agree, I haven't been following them closely but what I see/read I am impressed. I hope they can translate that to on track performance.

edit, are they still aiming for next year? It seems like it would make more sense to start in 2017 with the updated regulations.

Aiii

So not worth it
It really isn't surprising Haas are coming in well prepared.

It's not like they're StefanGP or anything, Haas knows how to run a racing team.

I agree, I haven't been following them closely but what I see/read I am impressed. I hope they can translate that to on track performance.

edit, are they still aiming for next year? It seems like it would make more sense to start in 2017 with the updated regulations.

Very much on target for next year, yes.

I think the commitment point is based on the hires, and the lead time is long for that. With the majority of their employees hired, you can't just put them on ice for an extra year. It's not like they have a current car in the Championship to work on in the meantime. They also have contracts with Ferrari, Dallara and plenty more as well.

dubc35

It really isn't surprising Haas are coming in well prepared.

It's not like they're StefanGP or anything, Haas knows how to run a racing team.
Ha, I had a comment about USF1 in my post but I edited it out, lol.

Very much on target for next year, yes.

I think the commitment point is based on the hires, and the lead time is long for that. With the majority of their employees hired, you can't just put them on ice for an extra year. It's not like they have a current car in the Championship to work on in the meantime. They also have contracts with Ferrari, Dallara and plenty more as well.

Yeah, good point about the staff.

Eric Boullier talks about upgrades.

But Boullier, McLaren's Racing Director, says a major step will come when Honda can run its engine at full power without reliability concerns, which it was still unable to do at the British Grand Prix.

"We're running with a down tuned engine, and we know that if we can tomorrow up tune the engine, we will find not only tenths but seconds," Boullier explained to GPUpdate.net.

"We know that today, we could easily be matching top six or top eight, in three or four races.

"So if we can unlock… if we are allowed to unlock this potential, because of the reliability issues, we could potentially find one second, one and a half seconds."

Boullier says he has every faith that Honda, which has been granted an extra engine per driver for its first season back in the sport, will make the required improvements.

"Reliability is free, so you can spend 24/7 working on reliability," he said.

"In terms of performance, there are still seven [specific engine development] tokens this year and 25 next year, so you can change most of the engine – so it's fine."

When pushed over a timeframe for the remaining 2015 tokens, Boullier added: "[Honda] are trying to introduce in two steps maybe; we know more or less when, but they have to confirm the plan."

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/328071/boullier-says-reliability-can-unlock-seconds/

When I read that it can "unlock" seconds, I immediately thought he means seconds until the engine blows up again.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Looks like Mercedes engineers found some clever solutions to their suspension system and that is making the biggest difference compared to other teams - from mechanical grip to kerb ride height

Auto motor und sport - just put the link through Google Translate

Herman Tilke says it's not his fault that races suck.

Tilke, though, feels the current regulations are to blame for the lack of overtaking in the sport.

"We have to do our part and the regulations have to do their part to make overtaking possible," he told Sport Business Daily. "We try to create corners where overtaking is possible. The simplest way is a long straight followed by a sharp corner, which creates a long break zone. However, if regulations prohibit cars from racing close to each other they simply can't overtake. That's always a problem, but we try to find ways to make it possible.

"We also try to find ways to allow drivers to make mistakes. The problem is the drivers in Formula 1 are the best drivers in the world and they don't make mistakes. The first corner combination is also very important as you try to avoid spreading out the field. You want to keep them closely together.

"Some criticism is simply not true. Take Bahrain for example. People said, "Oh, it will be boring because overtaking is not possible... Not true. Last year, Bahrain was one of the most exciting races in history. There was overtaking everywhere."

tomtom94

James Allen blog on the latest in the drivers' market:

- Lots of reports from Italy saying Ferrari have agreed a deal to release Bottas from his contract for next season

- Ricciardo is Ferrari's other target but can't leave Red Bull

- Williams will probably go for Nasr to replace Bottas but might be tempted to offer Button a way out of Mclaren

- Hulkenberg is wanted by Force India and Haas F1

- Engineers reckon Hulkenberg is good but not on the same level as Bottas or Ricciardo

Ark

Reports coming from Italian media that Ferrari have agreed to buy Bottas away from Williams for €12m. Williams apparently looking to pick up Nasr for that tasty €18m Banco Brasil backing.

Edit: Beat like Raikkonen in a Ferrari.

Zeknurn

Nasr will be a good pickup by Williams. He and Sainz are the two standout performances by rookies this year.

edit: Also Crofty will explode with his inability to pronounce names with Felipe Massa and Felipe Nasr in the same team.

Mastah

- Engineers reckon Hulkenberg is good but not on the same level as Bottas or Ricciardo

But Bottas is barely better than washed-up Massa, who was destroyed by Alonso, how these engineers with terabytes of data can be so clueless!!!!!1

Get rid of Massa, give one of the seats to Vandoorne.

Why would you want that? I don't understand, in such artificial and boring F1 like we have nowadays, quality of the drivers is one of the biggest attractions and Massa is doing his part in raising it. My opinion is as long as drivers perform, it doesn't matter how old they are, so from current worthy seats I would say goodbye only to Raikkonen and Ericsson.

Team Felipe Mnassa

You mean Team Felipe Massr.

e: Hahaha, wow. That was quick.

"Italy's Corriere dello Sport newspaper claimed on Friday that a deal had been reached between the two teams, clearing the path for Bottas to move to Ferrari.

However, when contacted by GPUpdate.net for clarification, Ferrari labelled the story as "total bulls**t.""

Mastah

There is a possibility 2015 will be the last race at this awful track or it won't happen at all? Oh noes :D

Meanwhile, Bottas' manager:

Didier_Coton ‏@didi_aces

#Aces Man, what a morning! The heat wave has reached lots of countries especially Italy. Let's turn on the air conditioning and keep cool.

LOL

itsgreen

Dani & Dani at Red Bull and Felipe & Felipe at Williams. Weird.

I don't think Nasr is going anywhere next year (without paying Sauber a hefty sum).

Banco pays more to Sauber in his second year... the team probably has an option for a second year.

And Sauber isn't going to let a good driver who's paying a lot of money go away.

RoKKeR

Damn, good for Bottas if true. I'd love him to stay with Williams but it makes sense for him. Will root for him wherever he goes.

Wondering what happens at Williams now. Is Nasr really a good pickup? Haven't been following his progress that closely this year.

yami4ct

Damn. Gutted to hear about the Bianchi news. I mean, hearing the details of his crash made it seem like the odds were never good, but it makes it no less tragic. A young talent taken way too soon. I guess the only solace that is to be taken around this is a renewed focus on driver safety. New rules like the virtual safety car will hopefully help ensure such a tragedy never happens again. RIP Jules.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Rest in peace.

Didn't look good for him since the accident. Hopefully his family can find some peace now.

Top Bottom