• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

FStop7

Banned
I think there is going to be a lot of arguing over whether or not his death can be considered F1's first fatality since Senna.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I think there is going to be a lot of arguing over whether or not his death can be considered F1's first fatality since Senna.

I think it's pretty clear that it is. The racing incident was definitely the cause of his death.

yami4ct

I honestly doubt many people will argue against it truly being an F1 fatality. He died from complications directly related to his crash. Had he recovered a bit and then died, maybe I could see people making arguments. Since he never recovered, I think it's quite obviously an F1 fatality.

hitgirl

Gosh, heart wrenching. I hope he's somewhere better, racing with the greats.

Sort of weird, but I think this is the first time I witnessed someone get in a fatal accident live[ on TV...

Megasoum

Banned

No doubt that his death is an F1 fatality and he's the first pilot to die since Senna. There's been multiple fatalities related to F1 since Senna though (2 Marshalls in the last 15 years)

Tubie

RIP

All the best wishes to his family.

I sadly saw the race and the footage of the crash right afterwards. There will be no arguing or debate over this.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
RIP Jules Bianchi

I can just send my condolences to the family really, what else can be said? I'm still too scared to even watch how the accident occurred really. I started watching Formula 1 when I was 10 and hoped I'd never have to see anything like Senna and Ratzenberger happen in the sport again, sadly it has.

oipic

Very sad indeed.

I can't even imagine how difficult these nine months must have been for family, close friends and loved ones. Thinking of them as they begin this next step and yet another difficult period now - may this closure bring them at least some small amount of solace.

:(

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
No doubt that his death is an F1 fatality and he's the first pilot to die since Senna. There's been multiple fatalities related to F1 since Senna though (2 Marshalls in the last 15 years)

Let's not forget Maria de Villota though. Who died from complications of her injuries sustained while driving an F1 car.

Dilly

Banned
I still remember where I was when I heard the news on the radio, because I couldn't watch the race live. Such terrible news to wake up with.

Rest in peace.

Mastah

What a crying shame. Instead of driving for Sauber and probably Ferrari next year, there is such a sad news. Rest in peace, Jules.

Staab

Ohh :( What a tragic tragic story this is, Rest In Peace Jules, you will be missed.

I still remember the GrandPrix and the absolute dread at hearing about his crash and his coma :((

He seemed like a really great bloke and one of the few talented french youngsters, my thoughts are with his friends and his family.

xrnzaaas

RIP Jules

Of course it is an F1 fatality. It's just that modern medicine kicked in, giving false hope and 9 months of torture for the family.

Really sad. First driver race fatality since I started following the sport. Unfortunately I figured some time ago that this was inevitable after hearing that he never really started to recover.

The official FIA reports might not have said specifically "it was the rain", but this was still a 100% avoidable incident considering the race could have been held during better conditions but was not. This year's moves with the VSC and earlier race starts are already at least some safety improvements. The next time the drivers, teams, media and global community repeatedly ask a question like "should we really run this race during a typhoon?" hopefully we trust out gut instinct. We'd been worrying about this well before the weekend had started.

Hopefully we might gain some medical knowledge from this, too.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
At least his family now has some closure at the very least. I can't even imagine what they've been through since the accident.

I think his passing is for the best of everyone involved. From what I read about his injury, it is unlikely that the person that was Jules Bianchi survived the day of the crash. The neurological damage must have been so severe that all that was left was barely enough to keep the rest of the body from collapsing. Consciousness, personality, and memories were likely already long gone.

At least his family and friends can now try to move on with their lives.

I wonder if this will reignite the discussion about closed cockpits.

dakun

devastated that he didn't make it.. from all accounts he was an awesome guy and we know he deserved way better than a Marussia in still growing F1 career.

Sad to see our long year streak of having no F1 driver die from a crash in a GP weekend ended yesterday..
and so unnecessary too since it really was a judgement error to have a crane be out there during heavy rain.

Mastah

and so unnecessary too since it really was a judgement error to have a crane be out there during heavy rain.

...and to not slow down significantly under double yellows (which means slow down and be prepared to stop). But that is also on Charlie Whiting's side and his ridiculous "you'll be fine if we see you slowing down by few tenths" position. Unfortunately, this is the end result.

DD

Kimi asking for a "more dangerous" F1 just shows that he has no place there anymore. Yes, I know that these guys love what they do, and I know that they understand the risks involved. But it's not funny at all when shit happens. It took 21 years for someone to die because of an accident during the race, so people might have forgotten how dangerous this could be. In just 5 years we had 3 major head injuries (Massa, de Villota and Bianchi) with two deaths. If anything, F1 needs to be safer.

RIP JB.

I remember watching the race and there was no mention of the incident for a few laps or so until people realised something had happened.

It was a seriously unfortunate incident. With the height of the crane in which JB contacted at the rear etc.

I personally don't want there to be enclosed cockpits. F1 should be open seat unless they're gonna start making Wipeout-esque tracks.

RayStorm

The official FIA reports might not have said specifically "it was the rain", but this was still a 100% avoidable incident considering the race could have been held during better conditions but was not. This year's moves with the VSC and earlier race starts are already at least some safety improvements. The next time the drivers, teams, media and global community repeatedly ask a question like "should we really run this race during a typhoon?"

Starting and running the race during those conditions was not the problem. The problem was what happened after the first accident and not having the proper reaction once a crane was within the track boundaries.

I still have not too distant memories of everybody - drivers, commentators, spectators - being annoyed by races not starting due to a slightly wet track, that had so little wetness that once the racing actually began cars immediately switched to slicks.

Kimi asking for a "more dangerous" F1 just shows that he has no place there anymore. Yes, I know that these guys love what they do, and I know that they understand the risks involved. But it's not funny at all when shit happens. It took 21 years for someone to die because of an accident during the race, so people might have forgotten how dangerous this could be. In just 5 years we had 3 major head injuries (Massa, de Villota and Bianchi) with two deaths. If anything, F1 needs to be safer.

Considering how two out of those three things happened, I would like to argue that safety conditions are actually fine when on track under green flag conditions. Not so fine is what happened during that fateful yellow. But that is certainly a different issue from what Kimi might have meant. Since I'm lacking context I can only speculate about that.

Mastah

I personally don't want there to be enclosed cockpits. F1 should be open seat unless they're gonna start making Wipeout-esque tracks.

Same. I'm afraid with closed cockpit there would be even less respect for tracks, marshalls and between drivers themselves and we would see more of this:

webber.jpg

I mean, is it a coincidence there were I think 4 huge shunts in WEC with LMP1 cars lapping backmarkers since switching to closed cockpits in 2011? Better "safety", more risks, less respect, more crashes.

Considering how two out of those three things happened, I would like to argue that safety conditions are actually fine when on track under green flag conditions. Not so fine is what happened during that fateful yellow. But that is certainly a different issue from what Kimi might have meant. Since I'm lacking context I can only speculate about that.

"When I came into Formula 1, it was more exciting for everybody, it was like really the top, it was a long time ago," Raikkonen told Canal+ France.

"We would have expected that cars would be faster and more exciting, but there is the rules changes … they try to make it slower.

"I'm sure something has to be done to make it more exciting to people to watch and also to really see the speed and make it a little bit more dangerous.

"It is part of the game.

"We don't want anybody to get hurt but it also makes it more exciting."

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/raikkonen-says-f1-must-be-more-dangerous/

Yeah, he was speaking about slow lap times and probably acres of tarmac run offs.

Jezbollah

I dont think this has anything to do with closed cockpits - if a car runs under a recovery vehicle like that, it's going to deform, enclosed cockpit or not.

As harsh as it sounds, this comes down to driver responsibility mostly, and to an extent both race controls reaction and the professionalism of the marshalls. It's well established that Bianchi was going too fast for the circumstances at that corner - but in my opinion no diggers, recovery vehicles should be out unless there's a safety car out if the drivers are not going to adhere to the marshalls.

Bianchi's loss is a tragedy that originates from Martin Brundle's incident there in 1994. It's an absolute fucking shame that lessons were not learnt from then.

DD

I disagree, mate. For me it is clear that the head of the driver is the weak point (perhaps the only one?) of these cars. Except for Massa's accident, the two others didn't happened at very high speeds, specially with de Villota. Ok, her accident was a freak crash that should never happened, but it happened, and in a very low speed. I mean, if a driver crashes at 300 KM/h, shit, that's fucked. But de Villota was going very slow when her accident happened, and Bianchi wasn't that fast either, considering the speed these cars can reach.

tomtom94

RIP Jules Bianchi. He will not be forgotten.

I'm imagining him meeting Senna and Ratzenberger and going racing again. Is that a bit sentimental?

Closed cockpit could also lead to the situation that the driver is trapped in the car after a high speed crash, espencially if you want smaller cockpits and don't want to go the Le-Mans car route.

Ark

Same. I'm afraid with closed cockpit there would be even less respect for tracks, marshalls and between drivers themselves and we would see more of this:

I mean, is it a coincidence there were I think 4 huge shunts in WEC with LMP1 cars lapping backmarkers since switching to closed cockpits in 2011? Better "safety", more risks, less respect, more crashes.

You think drivers care about whether or not they're in a closed cockpit when it comes to racing? It won't make any difference. More cars, larger speed differential between cars, and significantly longer races = significantly higher chance of crashes in endurance formulas. Not to mention the lower average skill of drivers in all series compared to F1.

Once they figure out a practical & safe solution to getting a driver out of the car in the FIA mandated 3[?] seconds with a cockpit, we'll end up with them. I doubt it'll be until after 2020, but still. We've had so many close calls during green-flag conditions over the last twenty years.

Top Bottom