• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

NHale

A very sad day to every motorsport fan. An unique talent with a bright future ahead taken away at such young age. At least I hope this bring the closure the family wanted at the start of the week, I can't even imagine what it is to have a son in this condition for 9 months.

It even makes me feel even sadder that news about Ferrari 2016 driver seat are appearing at the same time considering Bianchi was the supposed "owner" of that seat.

John_B

A while after the accident it was pretty clear that there was not going to be a positive outcome. He would either end up severely disabled or pass away. It must have been incredibly hard for the family to endure nine months of this.

It's a stark reminder of not taking safety lightly. There won't be a solution to rapid deceleration, but we can continue to make it less likely for those types of crashes to happen.

acm2000

of the recent serious accidents, the only one i can think of that a canopy MIGHT have helped with was massa faceplant into a spring and thats only if it deflected otherwise it couldve ended up even worse for him

no canopy in the world wouldve been strong enough to save jules.

Aiii

So not worth it
The FIA has announced that it will retire car number 17 from Formula 1 in honour of Jules Bianchi, who died on Friday from the injuries he sustained during an accident at last year's Japanese Grand Prix.

Bianchi suffered severe head injuries and fell into a coma when he struck a recovery vehicle, which had been working to remove a stricken car from a previous incident, during the rain-hit race at Suzuka.

The Frenchman was transferred from Japan to his home country seven weeks after the crash, and remained at the Centre Hospitalier Universitaire in Nice, where he passed away on Friday night.

The FIA, which previously paid tribute to a "popular and talented" driver, has now stated that the car number 17 – chosen by Bianchi when the regulation was introduced – can no longer be used in Formula 1.

"As F1 car numbers are now personally chosen by each driver, the FIA believes it to be an appropriate gesture to retire Jules Bianchi's number 17," read a brief statement issued by the governing body.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/328240/fia-to-retire-car-number-17-from-f1/

That's nice.

Goldrusher

This camera has 30x zoom which was what I felt like I was lacking in my camera phone. Will it be able to get some OK F1 shots?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VWJOK7M/?tag=neogaf0e-20
That's one of the best cameras ever made. So yeah, it should be able to get some "ok F1 shots". :p
Just make sure you practice a bit with it, before heading to the track.
Oh, and don't forget to buy a big memory card and some additional battery packs.

Damn, really sad news. Just the other day I was talking to my brother about Jules, and how it could be considered an F1 fatality (before the news today). RIP Nice gesture from FIA to retire his number.

hitgirl

That's one of the best cameras ever made. So yeah, it should be able to get some "ok F1 shots". :p
Just make sure you practice a bit with it, before heading to the track.
Oh, and don't forget to buy a big memory card and some additional battery packs.

Ok cool. I wasn't' expecting much out of that camera, but it's good to know it's good! My plan was to get it now so I'll have two months or so with it. I'll probably go to a track day at a local racetrack here and practice shooting things in motion.

Is 64GB enough? I picked up one on amazon sale. "SanDisk Extreme microSDXC 60MB/s

hitgirl

I usually take two 32gb cards, so yeah, should be. Depends if you want to do much video really.

Ok, cool. I took a total of like 6 pictures and 3 videos last year. I can also dumb everything into my computer each night to clear it out for the next day.

I guess the best way to see, is when I'm testing out the camera see what an average day of shooting gives me as far as battery use and memory use.

Boullier is still all about unlocking the potential. If it isn't the engine, then it's the organization.

Button pulled off track to retire, while Alonso recovered to 10th after an extra stop.

"It's been a source of great frustration to see new components and upgrades destroyed before they've had the chance to be race-proven, through a series of first-lap accidents," said Boullier.

"However, the unshakeable belief and optimism of Fernando and Jenson has set the example for the whole team: they are remarkable assets, and their commitment during these times is incredibly valuable.

"Honda, too, has shown a commitment that remains admirably undiminished.

"Together, we are showing the fighting spirit and resilience that will see us continue to improve our performance and reliability as we move back to the front.

"I hope that our performance in Hungary will scratch the surface on the performance and potential that lies within our organisation – it would be great to go into the break feeling re-energised about the races ahead."

This must be his alarm sound he wakes up to every day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkExBV05_EY

Ty4on

Anyone a camera nerd? I want to take better pictures this year at the Austin grand prix, I used my cell phone last time. This camera has 30x zoom which was what I felt like I was lacking in my camera phone. Will it be able to get some OK F1 shots?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VWJOK7M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It will be better than a phone for sure, but suffers from the same issues as most superzooms with small sensors. Pictures on the long end of the zoom are quite soft and have quite a lot of purple fringing (blue halo around high contrast edges). Low light images also have a lot of noise like the background in this image (you can select higher res versions at the bottom).

I would chose a used SLR with a cheap lens that went to 250-300mm (sharpness example, lowlight example lens and camera with kitlens cost ~400$ combined). You get much better image quality and autofocus at the cost of modern features like GPS, silent shutter, small size and 1080p video.
I don't know much about superzooms, but you can google their names to see what sample images look like. For image quality the sensor size (note 1/2.3 is bigger than 1/3) will be much more important than megapixels so don't worry if a camera says 12MP. They really only matter if you get a sharp image zoomed 1:1.

Can't say I'd be a massive fan of lugging a bigger camera around at the track. Especially not when it comes to the track invasion. That said, I don't have a modern (last 5 years) SLR so I'm not entirely sure how small / light they've got these days.

Honda:

“Our goal is to end the first half of the season with precise energy management and full use of the ERS to enable the drivers' skills to shine through at this circuit.”

Top six finish if they can run at full and it doesn't melt.

Token upgrade 1 for Spa and upgrade 2 for Singapore.

Ty4on

Can't say I'd be a massive fan of lugging a bigger camera around at the track. Especially not when it comes to the track invasion. That said, I don't have a modern (last 5 years) SLR so I'm not entirely sure how small / light they've got these days.
A consumer SLR and consumer telephoto zoom (250-300mm on the long end) are around 1kg combined. The gear used by pros is much bigger (and way more expensive).

hitgirl

Yea, even mirrorless lenses are WAY too big for me. I don't wana be that dude with a giant camera. I just want something to take a few snaps so I can at least remember the time when I'm old and forgotten stuff.

It will be better than a phone for sure, but suffers from the same issues as most superzooms with small sensors. Pictures on the long end of the zoom are quite soft and have quite a lot of purple fringing (blue halo around high contrast edges). Low light images also have a lot of noise like the background in this image (you can select higher res versions at the bottom).

I would chose a used SLR with a cheap lens that went to 250-300mm (sharpness example, lowlight example lens and camera with kitlens cost ~400$ combined). You get much better image quality and autofocus at the cost of modern features like GPS, silent shutter, small size and 1080p video.
I don't know much about superzooms, but you can google their names to see what sample images look like. For image quality the sensor size (note 1/2.3 is bigger than 1/3) will be much more important than megapixels so don't worry if a camera says 12MP. They really only matter if you get a sharp image zoomed 1:1.

Thanks for linking the test images, good to see stuff shot with that camera. I think that's good enough for me!

Ty4on

Thanks for linking the test images, good to see stuff shot with that camera. I think that's good enough for me!

No problem. Googling a camera is a great way of finding samples. You can even find flickr groups dedicated to certain cameras or lenses.

Mastah

CKbWGL3XAAA1JD1.jpg:orig

bianchientierro.jpg

CKb5DmwVAAAE3gb.jpg

CKbslkNUkAArwpq.jpg

Damn.

Goldrusher

was there anyone else besides Grosjean and Vettel? Recognized only these two at the photos
Vergne, Maldonado, Massa, Sutil, Ericcson, Merhi are also in the above photos.

Other photos show Hamilton, Rosberg, Bottas, Button, Ricciardo, Kvyat, Chilton, Wurz, de la Rosa, Todt, Prost and probably many others.

kanuuna

Incredible to see so many of the drivers come together. If only the circumstances weren't so fucked.
No one deserves to die that young, that way.

dubc35

Damn, RIP :( I didn't know until he passed that his uncle (great uncle?) died testing at Le Mans...and won the race the previous year. Two tragic events for the family.

I guess I'll have to take down my #ForzaJules picture I have at my desk.

edit, I didn't realize Hungary was this weekend, woot! Although I expect Hamilton to dominate due to the car and he has always done well in Hungary.

dubc35

I really can't comprehend what the 60s/70s were like with a F1 funeral every couple weeks/months. It reminds me of Jackie Stewart talking about attending all the funerals of his competitors in F1 The Killer Years.

Azzawon

Seeing all the drivers at the funeral and Vettel, Grosjean and Sutil carrying his coffin is heart-wrenching. The F1 scene is a very close-knit community. Respect to all of them.

CKbvhVlWcAAZeK6.jpg

#CiaoJules

DBT85

I really can't comprehend what the 60s/70s were like with a F1 funeral every couple weeks/months. It reminds me of Jackie Stewart talking about attending all the funerals of his competitors in F1 The Killer Years.

In some cases back then it was multiple in a week.

I hope this serves as a reminder of how those guys put their lives, literally, on the line to entertain us.

I'll surely complain much less and try to remember this day

I hope this serves as a reminder of how those guys put their lives, literally, on the line to entertain us.

I'll surely complain much less and try to remember this day
I also hope some of the more crash prone drivers in the junior divisions can look at this situation and realize that they can still die if they fuck up hard enough.

Top Bottom