• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Red Bull have very high success payments. Ricciardo probably made 2-3x his wage in bonuses from his wins last year, 1 million a race win if I remember correctly. This year, not so much.

Success payments from a mid-field team doesn't seem like a fair deal.

And damn, Kimi's just driving the money safely to the bank account. No need to hurry at all, even if it's his last year. Must be nice!

Bottas is a rookie and Red Bull is cheap.
But Bottas finishes most of the races he's in and is a consistent point scorer. Lotus is pretty much just paying Maldonado to break the car and make their carbon fiber supplier rich. Bottas even has more podiums than Maldonado. Isn't he in his third season now with Maldonado in his fourth?
Red Bull have very high success payments. Ricciardo probably made 2-3x his wage in bonuses from his wins last year, 1 million a race win if I remember correctly. This year, not so much.
This might explain why Ricciardo has such a fake smile planted on his face after some of the races. I think after the Canada race dude said he was fighting back tears.

But Bottas finishes most of the races he's in and is a consistent point scorer. Lotus is pretty much just paying Maldonado to break the car and make their carbon fiber supplier rich. Bottas even has more podiums than Maldonado. Isn't he in his third season now with Maldonado in his fourth?

This might explain why Ricciardo has such a fake smile planted on his face after some of the races. I think after the Canada race dude said he was fighting back tears.

Wow, you're right. This is Bottas' third year! For some reason I thought he joined last year and this was his second. Maldonado joined in 2011. How time flies.

Wow, you're right. This is Bottas' third year! For some reason I thought he joined last year and this was his second. Maldonado joined in 2011. How time flies.
Yeah I guess he's officially in his fifth season, but I tend to not count the season until it's actually over. The only thing Maldonado has over Bottas is wins, crashes and the amount of cars he's flipped over.

Mohonky

Haha Mclaren and Ferrari are getting ripped on Raikonnen and Button.

Surprised the average wage is around $3-4m, then of course it blows out at the top end of the field. Most of the drivers are actually on less than I would have imagined.

Merhi on $50k pounds surprises me a lot. I mean, it's not chump change and plenty of successful athletes in other sports get paid less, but in a sport as glamorous as F1 it's amazingly low.

Do these wages count money taken for individual sponsors?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Heading off to Hungary today. Weather is crazy hot there for the rest of the week, though thankfully a little cooler on Sunday.

You will get cooked. Get ready. And also get ready to run under some cover when thunderstorms rolls over Panonian plain :p

I'm pretty sure a lot of the Red Bull system drivers also "owe" money to RB for funding them in lower formula. Hence they are on lower wages.

dubc35

So how do the "pay drivers" get paid? Sponsorship/driver give team money, some of it goes to the driver as wages?

Also, I would think a lot of compensation for the drivers come from sponsors rather than the team similar to other sports (mental model is mostly American sports so could be incorrect for F1).

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
NASCAR 2014 - source

Dale Earnhardt Jr - Salary/Winnings $14.6 M Endorsements $9 M
Jimmie Johnson - Salary/Winnings $16.2 M Endorsements $6.5 M

The 10 highest-paid drivers pulled down $170 million in 2013 in cumulative salary, endorsements and their share of winnings and licensing income.

So how do the "pay drivers" get paid? Sponsorship/driver give team money, some of it goes to the driver as wages?

Also, I would think a lot of compensation for the drivers come from sponsors rather than the team similar to other sports (mental model is mostly American sports so could be incorrect for F1).

Ham(15), Alonso(17), Seb(21), and Kimi(32) are all on the Forbes annual list where they break out the endorsements. It's surprising little compared to a top US athlete for example. Lewis makes a fraction of what everyone else in front of him pulls in.

(USD)
Ham - 3mil
Kimi- 2mil
Alonso - 1.5mil
Vettel - 1mil

DD

Américo Teixeira, a very serious and well informed Brazilian journalist said that Nasr won't go to Williams next year. It's not commercially interesting for Williams to have two drivers from the same country, and he has a 2 year contract with Sauber, where Banco do Brasil specifies that their sponsorship deal is up only if Nasr drives for the team. So unless something big happens, Nasr will stay at Sauber.

RoKKeR

Don't look now but there's an actual F1 race on this weekend. Feels like it's been forever since the last one.

This year's calendar sucks.

ramparter

Banned
Also flying to Budapest tomorrow, first gp in my life.

I was thinking of grabbing a prepaid sim card to have some data for the f1 app. Will I be able to register for one in the airport? What are you guys doing for mobile data?

In a weird way, I find it still impressive that the McLaren with the terrible and handicapped engine is still faster than the Marussia with last year's Ferrari engine. Makes me feel bad for Marussia.

In a weird way, I find it still impressive that the McLaren with the terrible and handicapped engine is still faster than the Marussia with last year's Ferrari engine. Makes me feel bad for Marussia.

Well it's not only last year's engine, but also last year's car with very slight modifications to conform to this year's regulations.

Mastah

Don't look now but there's an actual F1 race on this weekend. Feels like it's been forever since the last one.

This year's calendar sucks.

These breaks are godsend. During F1 weekends I'm watching something like 22 hours of F1, GP2 and GP3 over 3 days. If there's IndyCar or MotoGP, that's 25-30 hours. Sucks to be motorsport addict, so weekends like last one with only IndyCar race are so refreshing :D

Mastah

Tobias Grüner F1 ‏@tgruener 6m6 minutes ago

AMuS exclusive: We got the planned dimensions of the 2017 #F1 car. Check out our gallery: http://ams.to/f1-2017-pics

F1-Concept-2017-Piola-Animation-fotoshowBigImage-f6472952-884346.jpg

The end of these stupid, high, narrow, toyish rear wings? Yes!
banderas.png

Yeah, I'm very happy that the new rear wings are finally wider again. It just looks so much better. The wider wheels would look better with bigger rims, though.

Zeknurn

The wide front wing looks pretty funny and is that slanted rear wing their way of "making the cars look more aggressive"? Because it's looks like something a fan would come up with.

Anyhow, I'm sure the teams will make the cars look good.

I'm glad to see that Sauber is keeping Nasr and Ericsson. They're both solid drivers.

I'd like to see a large simplification of the front wings, personally, and I'm also not keen on the apparent increase in barge board size, but otherwise they seem to be on the right track.

Mohonky

That is a lot of rubber on the rear.

Dont mind the current wings to be honest, I like the height of them, the 2017 ones look kind of low.

Hah, Honda getting a free engine out of pity.

Well at the current rate the FIA will run out of penalties to give than Honda will engines over the year. i've never heard of teams having so many penalties, they are starting the grid from last position by default. Not that it matters, they would only get ahead of Marussia anyway.

Top Bottom