• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Commercials suck, but the norm in US events.

I just don't like how NBC sends like one guy to the race and has almost zero content like Sky does in pre race coverage. NBC Sports has a 30 minute preshow but with 15 minutes of commercials. It's shit really, and does nothing to help educate an audience in the US or discuss much of anything.

I just get the sky broadcast.
From what I remember NBC is at least better than the Speed broadcastings.

From what I remember NBC is at least better than the Speed broadcastings.

Yes, but that is a rather low bar. I really wish there were better options for cable cutters in the US for EPL and F1. NBC owns the rights to both and their online treatment of the two sucks. I would happily pay a yearly fee to get something like you can with MLB, NHL, MLS, etc.

Business

A bit of luck, and being the fastest driver. He was the fastest driver all weekend, including the race - it's just a shame he cocked up on the first lap.

More likely happened by having a car almost two seconds faster than the rest minus Rosberg and the Ferraris, combined with doing a ton of mistakes.

Yes, but that is a rather low bar. I really wish there were better options for cable cutters in the US for EPL and F1. NBC owns the rights to both and their online treatment of the two sucks. I would happily pay a yearly fee to get something like you can with MLB, NHL, MLS, etc.
This is true, online options for F1 in this country is abysmal. I ended up missing qualifying and tried looking for an online stream, couldn't really do cause they're all live streams and got GP2 stuff instead, think I got some kind of weird hack the signed me out of all my online profiles doing it too cause some might not have been too safe.

A bit of luck, and being the fastest driver. He was the fastest driver all weekend, including the race - it's just a shame he cocked up on the first lap.

The joke is that the safety car basically fixed his mistake from the first lap. Too bad he instantly did another bullshit mistake.

DD

I guess I'll never understand American TV.

uLZ6RIA.png

dubc35

I watch a couple NBC Sports GP's a year and they are terrible. People can complain about the BBC only talking Lewis (valid complaint IMO) but it's leaps and bounds better than NBC; same goes for Sky.

It's too bad the Brundle/Coulthard combo is no longer. One of my favorite in the last several years.

I wish I was fluent in more languages to be able to watch other broadcasts. Since FOM is only for old people they wouldn't think of putting up highlights on their awesome (/sarcasm) YouTube channel of overtakes, pole positions, etc from the broadcast of the driver's native country.

Ninman

We have a long summer break and is gonna be painful after the best race of the season, so, how you guys qualify the drivers based on their performance so far?
My ranking

1- Hamilton
2- Vettel
3- Hulk
4- Bottas
5- Rosberg
6- Ricciardo
7- Massa
8- Kvyat
9- Verstappen
10- Perez
11- Sainz
12- Nasr
13- Kimi
14- Alonso
15- Button
16- Grosjean
17- Ericsson
18- Merhi
19- Maldonado
20- Stevens

(Silly Season) 2016 Grid
Mercedes- Ham/Ros
Ferrari- Vet/Bottas
Williams- Mas/Button
Red Bull- Ric/ Kvy
Force India- Per/ Maldonado (oh god, new crashtor team)
Lotus- Gro/ Palmer
Toro Rosso- Ves/Sai
Mclaren- Alo/Vandoorne
Sauber- Nas/Eric
Manor- Magnussen/ Marciello
Haas- Gutierrez/Hulkenberg

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
We have a long summer break and is gonna be painful after the best race of the season, so, how you guys qualify the drivers based on their performance so far?

These rankings are really hard. For instance, I don't think that your low raking for Alonso and Button really reflects their actual performance. Their car is just shit and breaks down every other race.

It's almost impossible to rank drivers. A lot of drivers are probably just as good as most others but they never get to show it in a good car (or a car that suits their style).

Some driver might have a heroic performance but barely make it into the points and a Mercedes driver can have a horrible race and still finish ahead.

Yagami_Sama

I finally had time to watch the race and what a race. It was pretty good see Alonso in 5th. But it has great chances of been the first and last time they manage to end a race in this position.
But I felt sad Raikkonen abandoning the race.

yami4ct

(Silly Season) 2016 Grid
Mercedes- Ham/Ros
Ferrari- Vet/Bottas
Williams- Mas/Button
Red Bull- Ric/ Kvy
Force India- Per/ Maldonado (oh god, new crashtor team)
Lotus- Gro/ Palmer
Toro Rosso- Ves/Sai
Mclaren- Alo/Vandoorne
Sauber- Nas/Eric
Manor- Magnussen/ Marciello
Haas- Gutierrez/Hulkenberg

That's actually pretty close to my 2016 predictions. My full thoughts.

Mercs: No change, It aint broke and neither driver is ready to leave the sport. Maybe some pitwall changes as they realize strategy flaws, but nothing more.

Ferrari: Kimi dropped and Bottas picked up. It's almost certain.

HondaMc: Tough call. I think this mostly depends on behind the scenes stuff. If Button is doing well at car development advice, he'll get at least one more season. If not, Mags will get his seat back.

Williams: Massa/New pickup: Not sure what young GP2 drivers are around and ready, but I think Williams will definitely go for a young guy they can develop as well as pay less.

Sauber: No change, as confirmed.

Force India: Money troubles will cause them to lose at least Hulk if not both drivers. I could even see the team getting bought out or going under.

Lotus: Either a Renault buyout and completely new team or both Crashtor and Gro stay on.

RBR: No change on the team. Engine will depend on what Renault do. If Bernie gets Renault to recommit to F1, RBR will begrudgingly stay with Renault. If not, I can see them getting a nice deal with Honda.

Toro Rosso: Same as RBR, but I've got a feeling they'll be taking Honda engines whether or not Renault gets majorly back into F1.

Haas: Hulkenberg/an American driver. Despite what they've claimed otherwise, I honestly don't see them passing up on the PR of bringing in an American driver. They'll go with a vet and an American. That's the best possible mix of PR and practicality they can do.

Manor: Completely new squad once again.

sam777

My ranking

1- Hamilton
2- Vettel
3- Hulk
4- Bottas
5- Rosberg
6- Ricciardo
7- Massa
8- Kvyat
9- Verstappen
10- Perez
11- Sainz
12- Nasr
13- Kimi
14- Alonso
15- Button
16- Grosjean
17- Ericsson
18- Merhi
19- Maldonado
20- Stevens

It is difficult to rank, one thing I do know is a Merc driver shouldn't be top as Ham/Ros are expected to win most races at a canter. Vettel has done well to be close to the Merc drivers in the championship.

The worst thing about Leigh Diffey is how pleased he is with himself when he manages to segue back to a talking point he already made four times that day, and fifty times that weekend. Congrats, you tied the conversation back into that one factoid you won't shut up about... speaking of shutting up, Hamilton if he wins this weekend and gives the thumbs up hand gesture, it will be the 15 consecutive thumbs up by a driver since Ayrton Senna. Ayrton Senna, did I mention in the last 15 seconds that Senna is Hamilton's hero.... hero subs, let's take another commercial break brought to you by Subway.

I'm comin for your job Diffey!

The worst thing about Leigh Diffey is how pleased he is with himself when he manages to segue back to a talking point he already made four times that day, and fifty times that weekend. Congrats, you tied the conversation back into that one factoid you won't shut up about... speaking of shutting up, Hamilton if he wins this weekend and gives the thumbs up hand gesture, it will be the 15 consecutive thumbs up by a driver since Ayrton Senna. Ayrton Senna, did I mention in the last 15 seconds that Senna is Hamilton's hero.... hero subs, let's take another commercial break brought to you by Subway.

"Subway is also a sponsor of NASCAR, which is back at it's new home NBC Sports Network, after the commercial break you'll be back at the home of Formula 1 sponsored by Mercedes Benz *cue Mercedes Benz commercial*"

Azzawon

My ranking

1- Hamilton
2- Vettel
3- Hulk
4- Bottas
5- Rosberg
6- Ricciardo
7- Massa
8- Kvyat
9- Verstappen
10- Perez
11- Sainz
12- Nasr
13- Kimi
14- Alonso
15- Button
16- Grosjean
17- Ericsson
18- Merhi
19- Maldonado
20- Stevens

Stevens and Alonso deserve to be way higher. Not sure whether you've been watching the same races I have, but they've driven the wheels of their respective cars and consistently outperformed their team-mates when they haven't had issues. I'd probably knock Perez and Massa down a few, too.

I was playing Forza the other day and by mistake started racing on Yas Marina. Then it hit me, the shame F1 drivers must feel having to tip toe those cars through such a slow and shitty micky mouse track.

Why can't we got back to Istanbul ffs! Watching F1 cars go through Turn 8 there is what it's about.

kharma45

Stevens and Alonso deserve to be way higher. Not sure whether you've been watching the same races I have, but they've driven the wheels of their respective cars and consistently outperformed their team-mates when they haven't had issues. I'd probably knock Perez and Massa down a few, too.

I'd knock Kimi down quite a few places.

Shaneus

My ranking

1- Hamilton
2- Vettel
3- Hulk
4- Bottas
5- Rosberg
6- Ricciardo
7- Massa
8- Kvyat
9- Verstappen
10- Perez
11- Sainz
12- Nasr
13- Kimi
14- Alonso
15- Button
16- Grosjean
17- Ericsson
18- Merhi
19- Maldonado
20- Stevens
I'd put Vettel higher, Ricciardo in the top 5, Kimi lower, Alonso higher, Massa a little higher as well and Hulk a spot or two lower.
Hell, I wasn't going to position anyone, but here's how I'd see the top whatever:
1. Vettel
2. Hamilton
3. Rosberg
4. Bottas
5. Riccardo
6. Massa
7. Hulk
8. Kvyat
9. Alonso
10. Verstappen
11. Perez
12. Sainz
13. Nasr
14. Grosjean
15. Button
16. Kimi
17. Ericsson
18. Merhi
19. Maldonado
20. Stevens

Edit: Fixed it a little :)

Ark

Vettel higher than Hamilton; Ricciardo higher than Bottas.

Based on this year's performances alone, I can't agree with you Shaneus.

Shaneus

Vettel higher than Hamilton; Ricciardo higher than Bottas.

Based on this year's performances alone, I can't agree with you Shaneus.
They're not results based performances, but in terms of the cars they're given. The RBR is a POS so for it to finish as well as it has bumps Ricciardo up a little. I probably messed up and shouldn't have had Bottas below Ricciardo (swap them around) but I still feel Vettel's racecraft and what he's done with the Ferrari (especially compared to his teammate) put him as the best driver on the grid right now.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I would love to see these drivers in the same car for at least one season, just to settle this. *g* Although even then, you would be justified to argue that this one car's characteristics would benefit some drivers over the others. It's always hard to asses driver skills, especially since all of them have different strengths and weaknesses.

ramparter

Banned
Really can't say with that Honda situation but I was constantly looking at the f1 app during the hungarian gp and Alonso was puting some impressive laps. His pace was better than Verstappen's.

The stupid SC rules ruined their battle, suddenly Alonso was behind safety car and had to make a full lap to reach the end of the pack while Max was already in end. When the lapped cars were allowed to unlap themselves SC went in so it was too late.

Chris R

Come on now, it's nowhere near this bad. Could NBC coverage be better? Yes, but compared to what we had just a few years ago what we have now is pretty good.

This is my first time ever watching F1 this season, and the US coverage hasn't been a problem for me. Coming from decades of MLB, NFL and NBA viewing I can't say I've even noticed anything out of the ordinary with regards to sponsor shilling. But that stuff is the norm here, I've probably tuned it all out.

Supplemented with the writeups and videos on the NBC Sports blog, I don't feel like I'm lacking for coverage. And Will Buxton is pretty great.

At the tracks it definitely seems like Kimi has the biggest fanbase out of the drivers. Ferrari then Merc for the teams.

Kimi fans are the best generally. Will be such a shame to lose them when he goes.

Had one face painted guy stagger his way over to us on Friday and ask as best he could if we liked Kimi. He looked genuinely concerned whilst waiting for the answer, then burst into cheers when we said yes. :D

Top Bottom