• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

yami4ct

70% of respondents do not want artificial aids but 51% want DRS to stay.

Wut?

I have a feeling most people don't really know what they're talking about and if you ask the same question 3 different ways, you'll get 3 different answers.

The anti new territory sentiment is a bit sad to me. I get not wanting to see support of territories like Russia or Qatar with major human rights abuses, but I find new stuff in general to be fun and exciting. It's nice to see the sport support fans in new areas and I love seeing more cool locations.

I have a feeling most people don't really know what they're talking about and if you ask the same question 3 different ways, you'll get 3 different answers.

The anti new territory sentiment is a bit sad to me. I get not wanting to see support of territories like Russia or Qatar with major human rights abuses, but I find new stuff in general to be fun and exciting. It's nice to see the sport support fans in new areas and I love seeing more cool locations.

The problem is everybody knows Bernie only cares about one thing when it comes to picking new races; who will pay him the most under the table. With that in mind it's not exactly a surprise we end up going to places rife with corruption and abuses.

Aiii

So not worth it

It's not anti new territory, it's anti removal-of-charismatic and nearby tracks you love to see and potentially visit. It's anti-Tilke tracks. Also, watching a race on TV, you don't see any cool locations, you just see a track. So that's what matters, all new locations have the same generic looking tracks, so yeah, of course if someone asks in a poll if you want more of these instead of Hockenheim, Nurburgring, Monza, Spa, you're gonna get a negative answer.

The problem is everybody knows Bernie only cares about one thing when it comes to picking new races; who will pay him the most under the table. With that in mind it's not exactly a surprise we end up going to places rife with corruption and abuses.

And shitty tracks designed on flat pieces of land with big smooth pieces of asphalt that show no indication of ever seeing a racing car outside of the one weekend F1 is around.

Most European tracks are molded to their locations, it follows the flow of the ground, the track is narrow because it has to go around a lake or hill, the surrounding area has defining features.

Add to that the people visiting really love F1, they are invested. 140.000 people screaming their heads off because Hamilton wins the UK race, you're not gonna get that in Abu Dhabi, I assure you.

World Championship Race Team Manager 2015 demo is still a few weeks away apparently. Dev just put something on Facetube

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=334059290

This seems really interesting, but I wish the game had a much better presentation. Right now it looks like an Excel game (to be really harsh) and I know that's what it is under the hood, but it doesn't have to look like that. The game needs a bigger budget.

tomtom94

Heh, watching the build-up to the 2005 European Grand Prix and Honda are worried about the reliability of their engines. Some things never change...

dubc35

Didn't he?
I'm not sure. It was more of a hypothetical (mostly due to my laziness of not wanting to search out if they had launch control in the years he was active, or at least driving for RBR).

World Championship Race Team Manager 2015 demo is still a few weeks away apparently. Dev just put something on Facetube

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=334059290
Cool, looks interesting. I wonder what the price will be. I find Motorsport Manager to fill my race manager needs, only $2 too. I should mention I'm not an enthusiast of the genre so WCRTM could be leaps and bounds better.

Aiii

So not worth it
Motorsport Manager is too easy. Just doing a one stop race got you the win, tired quickly on that.

This looks more like GP Manager 2, the best F1 sim ever made, very promising.

dubc35

Motorsport Manager is too easy. Just doing a one stop race got you the win, tired quickly on that.

This looks more like GP Manager 2, the best F1 sim ever made, very promising.

Ha, I guess I'm terrible at it then. I win or podium frequently but I haven't made it past the second level GP seasons.

“We did the simulation, but I’m not going to give you the number because it makes me cry! We had to do that because we need to know where we are. Let’s say top six…”

lol

Simulation says Mercedes slayer

Three Japanese companies backed out sponsoring McLaren this season, reportedly waiting until the Barhani share buyout is sorted. Honda to snap them up when Dennis fails to find the money again?

Japanese press / Arai Hungary recap:

- the last 3 races they sometimes run with restricted power output (info in article)

- (on introducing many new components at once) It's just that the decision (by strategy group meeting) to allow new entrants free 5th PU happened to be made at the timing of pre-Hungary. Not particularly because Hungary is suitable for us.

- (On PU) Spec wise it's identical to Silverstone's, but little bit of modifications have been applied for more durability and reliability. We decided to introduce new set of components because we judged we'd be able to fight properly that way.

- There's also strategical reason that we want to have spare parts in hands by introducing new parts here.

Friday

- It was productive day, being able to work on aero verification, PU driveability, ERS deployment and so on

- here it's easier to get good balance between recovery and release/assist due to circuit characteristics, so system we set up worked perfectly

Saturday

- (On JB's 2nd attack in Q1) It's very complicated system. Maybe used steering switches with a combination of settings such that it caused issues. Lost all MGU-K assist (into start/finish line to commence the attack lap)

- JB was 18km/h slower on the home straight speed trap than his prev and 1st attack lap (info on article)

- (on ALO) Main power connector that connects and provides electricity to the whole chassis got loose and the car shut down as a result.

- The connector concerned is located in a position where you cannot check from outside, so you have to remove the floor to see and find.

Sunday

- In today's race, we accomplished very good setup work on energy management and could use it to its full. Power unit has extracted everything it's got with no limitation whatsoever placed upon, even under this hot condition.

- There was no issue system-wise. Not just power unit but also chassis have progressed a lot in 3 days, and we could confirm/verify the direction we're heading/taking is correct. I think that race pace wise we are closer to the front.

- The spec itself is Silverstone's with some modifications applied, but it has more horsepower than Renault. We are no doubt superior to Renault in driveability that is essential for twisty section like S2 (of Hunagroring). But Red Bull is quick this weekend.

- Our aero package is merely newly-born, so the difference is inevitable. Update from Austria is massive, so there are alot of things to be done on aero, ride height and mechanical, but we haven't been able to make much mileage with this package yet. There's a lot more to come.

- Today we were lucky in some ways, but we could make proper setup in 3 days, so progressed a lot from British GP. The gap to the front is apparent and big, but from the feeling of FPs we knew that we would be able to run with respectable pace, in fact we had good battle throughout against STR and Lotus.

- When Hamilton was chasing and closing up rapidly towards the flag, we told Fernando about that and he replied "No problem!", we felt relieved/encouraged by that.

On future

- F1 is entering 4-week summer break now, but after the summer break awaits Spa where it's tough for power unit. We have to make good preparation for Belgium GP, so there's no time for us to relax. In order to catch up the front, there are many things left to be done to ready new PU in time for Spa. It will be busy summer break for us. We'd like to do our utmost to work on developing PU to enter the 2nd half of the season.

- Nothing changes the acknowledgement that PU output/performance increase is critical/indispensable. Not only about increasing power, but also chassis settings like wing, suspension and ride height need to be worked on / adjusted accordingly to accommodate/correspond to the increase in power. In this race we could confirm/verify the direction we're taking is correct, so we're going to analyze data, we must be united as one team. We cannot afford to say "learning stage" for long, so we'd like to move on to the next step.

- It wouldn't be overstatement to call what we're planning to introduce at Spa (or after summer break) a "totally brand-new power unit".

- But that's nothing more than a plan at this very moment. Right now we are working on development back at Honda R&D with target set on Spa. But even though we improve the performance significantly, we would have no choice but to postpone the introduction if the reliability doesn't follow/come with it. Therefore we cannot say anything for certain until the very last minute.

- What will be essential at Spa is not only outright power, but also proper energy management over a long section/distance. Much depends on whether we'll be able to recover the exhaust energy enough or not. There's good possibility that we end up using up all the energy before completing one lap.

translated by muramasa @ AS

So Honda is planning on introducing a new more powerful engine even though they're nowhere near having the current one reliable? :p

Hope that by totally new they mean they've redesigned the whole thing if that's the case.

As for connectors etc falling off, I mean really guys? That sort of stuff shouldn't be happening at all. Ever.

Interesting that they think that even if they introduce a new power unit that is more powerful etc in Spa, due to their energy recovery systems, they would still be down on time as they would t be able to make it last a full lap.

Imagine they arrive in Spa with a monster of an engine though? It would be hilarious.

yami4ct

Really liking the look of the new car design. The wider rear wing is just way more pleasing than the toy-like nature of the current stuff.

Being new to the sport, though, what can we realistically expect from these changes? I know there's a lot of stuff we won't know until we actually see it on track, but I'm sure smarter people than me have some idea. Are the wider/lower rear wings going to help alleviate or worsen the dirty air issues that plague the cars today? Or is it 6 in one way, half dozen in the other and we realistically end back at the status quo? What are the wider rear tyres going to add aside from the look? Is it just an increased grip thing?

DBT85

Really liking the look of the new car design. The wider rear wing is just way more pleasing than the toy-like nature of the current stuff.

Being new to the sport, though, what can we realistically expect from these changes? I know there's a lot of stuff we won't know until we actually see it on track, but I'm sure smarter people than me have some idea. Are the wider/lower rear wings going to help alleviate or worsen the dirty air issues that plague the cars today? Or is it 6 in one way, half dozen in the other and we realistically end back at the status quo? What are the wider rear tyres going to add aside from the look? Is it just an increased grip thing?

The wing change I'm not sure about with regards to dirty air. The wings might well be shallower because they can be wider, that in turn might mean that air doesn't get quite as disturbed, but I'm basically making this up and have no idea.

This change is more because they are trying to get back the more classic F1 car look because the people making the rules are stuck in 1980-2000 and think that making the cars look more like they did then will make the sport better.

The wider tyres will give more mechanical grip in corners, so might help a bit in following more closely.

EDIT: Sure to piss someone off for some reason or another. Lewis in his training during the break.

CLT9avpUwAAb-Lg.jpg

tomtom94

If you're in need of something to watch during the summer break, there's a guy on Reddit who runs a 24/7 livestream of classic F1 races. I spent the afternoon watching Brazil 2003, for instance.

Link here

DD

If in doubt, flat out.

I believe Colin might have said that just to confuse his opponents. At least this is what I've learned from playing a lot of Richard Burns Rally and Dirt Rally. ;(

If in doubt, slow the f*ck down. ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็)

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Remind me to never be a spectator at a Rally race. Shit is scary.

in yesterdays DTM race, the Audi Motorsport Boss gave the order to push the current championship leader (Merc) out of the race. It seems they forgot that everyone could hear the com talk live on TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d08rS9wOeI

The Audi driver who pushed the Merc driver out got already disqualified. Now Audi needs to appear in front of the german motorsport court and try to explain that order.

in yesterdays DTM race, the Audi Motorsport Boss gave the order to push the current championship leader (Merc) out of the race. It seems they forgot that everyone could hear the com talk live on TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d08rS9wOeI

The Audi driver who pushed the Merc driver out got already disqualified. Now Audi needs to appear in front of the german motorsport court and try to explain that order.

Sometimes I forget that other racing series have their own official YouTube channel with great content and full races and everything.

It's a shame that "the pinnacle of motorsport" is so far behind in that regard.

Here is a video of Verstappen doing a ton of donuts on the Assen TT circuit in a RB7 with a V10: https://youtu.be/zMCs2hLkum4

I was there that day. The first demo at the Geert Timmer corner and the second 10 meters from the track at the Stekkenwal. I am ashamed to say that I had never heard an F1 car before irl. His two demo's didn't dissapopoint. It was ear shatterlingly awesome. The burnouts were great. But he also did quite a bit of laps just gunning it around the track. I bet he wanted to beat the track record. Those laps were the best imo.

SKY will launch a new sports channel for non sports subscribers that will show 10 live races, the BBC races.

When will the BBC announce they're dropping the live / complete coverage?

Top Bottom