• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

hadareud

The Translator
I think it's clear that the McLaren is fundamentally a good car, very likely good enough to fight with Williams and Red Bull if it wasn't for their engine.

The next 2 races will almost certainly be painful again for them, they will struggle in Spa and Monza.

At the end of the day all they can do now is improve the bloody engine and prepare for next season. Maybe have a few nice results (Singapore maybe) for morale, but for anything else it's too late

Aiii

So not worth it
At least they'll finish ahead of Sauber, so I'll give Honda that.

Also proving that not even a Mercedes engine can save a dogshit car.

I think it's clear that the McLaren is fundamentally a good car, very likely good enough to fight with Williams and Red Bull if it wasn't for their engine.

The next 2 races will almost certainly be painful again for them, they will struggle in Spa and Monza.

At the end of the day all they can do now is improve the bloody engine and prepare for next season. Maybe have a few nice results (Singapore maybe) for morale, but for anything else it's too late

Their chassis has improved since 2014, but they are probably 4th at best, chassis-wise, well behind Ferrari and Red Bull and Mercedes (of course).

On Lewis (since that's all everyone call talk about in the press), I don't think he drove that poorly; typical Hamilton-related exaggeration. His pace was such that it would have been a Monaco-style domination today; he probably had 0.5s a lap on the Ferrari and 0.75s on Rosberg.

His problem it seems is that he is very impatient when not leading; it appears he's been so used to leading races that not leading induces episodes red mist:
- Silverstone restart: although the door was indeed open but Massa did very well to defend
- Lap 1 Hungary: tried to get Rosberg at the chicane?
- Hungary restart: tried to pass Rosberg at the last corner which compromised his exit and allowed Ricciardo to get the tow and pass him at T1

He just needs to regain that calmness of last season (when he fell back in the order due to reliability/bad luck). Otherwise, his driving has fine yesterday - his pace was mighty. The biggest worry for Mercedes are the starts. Fortunately, the run down to T1 at Spa is relatively short, but it will be a bloodbath at Monza.

spuckthew

License points and PU part usage in one handy graph:

fQ4vIqV.jpg

Remind me, is it ten penalty points gives a grid drop or a race ban?

When did Vettel get his 3 points?

EDIT:

Q: Mercedes have practiced ‘Spa-starts’ to be ready for the changes that will come into effect there. Wouldn’t it have been better to practice ‘Budapest-starts’?

TW: Yes, we’ve been practising Spa-starts on Friday. Probably we’ve traded the future for the present. You always should live in your time - we’ve probably that experienced today.
Formula1.com

Is he saying that Mercedes did use the Spa-spec clutch, or that the drivers derped [in both races!] and forgot how to use the current (now old) clutch?

Some news:

Tobias Grüner F1 ‏@tgruener 7m7 minutes ago

In case of Renault split Toro Rosso could end up with Honda engines. Red Bull threatens to quit #F1 if other manufacturers refuse to supply.

Hasney

Formula1.com

Is he saying that Mercedes did use the Spa-spec clutch, or that the drivers derped [in both races!] and forgot how to use the current (now old) clutch?

Basically, after qualifying they were practising starts on the way back as from Spa, they won't be able to practice on race day. They didn't practice on race day to get them ready for the new regulations and possibly suffered for it.

Fox Mulder

Some news:

In case of Renault split Toro Rosso could end up with Honda engines. Red Bull threatens to quit #F1 if other manufacturers refuse to supply.

It's kind of shitty that engine manufacturers can refuse to supply a team if they're willing to pay.

Honda probably needs another team though to get more data.

Renault pulling the plug on the 3.5 series, will make a September announcement on their F1 future. Quitting or buying Lotus confirmation?

Amus say Red Bull are after a Mercedes deal because Ferrari will only supply them with an old spec PU.

And so the rise of Honda begins; McLaren, Manor and Toro Rosso to be powered by Honda in 2016. Domination is coming!

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Renault pulling the plug on the 3.5 series, will make a September announcement on their F1 future. Quitting or buying Lotus confirmation

Canal Plus did an interview with Federico Gastaldi yesterday, and he said very clearly that they were more than open to a Renault takeover. It almost felt like they were desperate for it to happen.

stryke

Renault pulling the plug on the 3.5 series, will make a September announcement on their F1 future. Quitting or buying Lotus confirmation?

Amus say Red Bull are after a Mercedes deal because Ferrari will only supply them with an old spec PU.

Is this still related to that Aston Martin rumour or a new rumour?

Fox Mulder

Canal Plus did an interview with Federico Gastaldi yesterday, and he said very clearly that they were more than open to a Renault takeover. It almost felt like they were desperate for it to happen.

It must be depressing going to work each day for pastor maldonado. Renault money should mean they wouldn't need to rely on a pay driver to keep the team going.

Bah, both of those suggested restaurants in Budapest have been booked up since Friday. Ah well, definitely coming back; I really like this place.

Mohonky

Just got done watching.

Seriously, did hell freeze over? That might be one of the most chaotic races I have ever seen.

Hamilton - this seemed like 2011 Hamilton. The second the race started you could see he was going to get swamped as the car got bogged down. What followed was an amazing drive to get himself back up into 4th, only to understeer on the restart, damaging his car and going back to 12th. Dude went from front of the pack, back of the pack, front of the pack to back of the pack and then nearly front of the pack again in a single race. How does that happen......

In the end he actually did alright to finish where he did, but he definitely wasn't as sharp as he usually is. He had a few great overtakes though, that one with Massa was pretty impressive, when so many other drivers wiped each other out there, he and Massa managed to just rub a bit of rubber off their tyres and keep going.

Vettel - dude was shooting black cats out the ass end of that Ferrari, it's the only explanation. He must have thought it was like Mad Max looking out his rear view mirrors. Cars hitting one another and failing all over the place. It was definitely Vettels day today, in a race where everyone seemed to be falling apart or smashing one another up, he was the only driver to get a consistent run.

Rosberg - seriously, I don't even know. He wasn't even pulling the Ferrari's in. He just doesn't seem to have it in him to really push that extra bit he needs.

Massa - my favourite little Brazilian had bit of a shitter.

McLaren - points? For both drivers? Yeop, hell has frozen over lol.

Maldonado - is that a record? Seriously this guy is a fucking joke that writes itself. He can't help himself. Other drivers must hold their breathe anytime they get near him, the other pit crews that have to stand out in front of the garage as he comes by must have balls of steel. The guys a fucking lunatic. Does he have some sort of record for penalties yet?

And so the rise of Honda begins; McLaren, Manor and Toro Rosso to be powered by Honda in 2016. Domination is coming!

Rumor going around is end of 3.5 series so it doesn't compete with the new F2 formula and that Bernie gives the Renault works team historical status, so more $$$$$$$ and easier to justify staying in F1.

DD

LOL, Maldonado surely is becoming a folkloric character in F1. He should drive GT cars. He could be big there. He has the speed.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
According to the British tabloids he's into Rihanna now.

So he'll implode again somewhere next year.

Ah he is probably hitting half of the popular scene now as single man. You know, #yolo

LOL, Maldonado surely is becoming a folkloric character in F1. He should drive GT cars. He could be big there. He has the speed.

And he would be known as "Pastor the Ruthless". I would like to see him in endurance racing. Imagine Le Mans with Maldonado in Ferrari 458, probably they would ban the car model once and for all :D

DD

And he would be known as "Pastor the Ruthless". I would like to see him in endurance racing. Imagine Le Mans with Maldonado in Ferrari 458, probably they would ban the car model once and for all :D

No, I mean Gran Turismo cars.

You know, those indestructible ones...

Just got done watching.

Seriously, did hell freeze over? That might be one of the most chaotic races I have ever seen.

Hamilton - this seemed like 2011 Hamilton. The second the race started you could see he was going to get swamped as the car got bogged down. What followed was an amazing drive to get himself back up into 4th, only to understeer on the restart, damaging his car and going back to 12th. Dude went from front of the pack, back of the pack, front of the pack to back of the pack and then nearly front of the pack again in a single race. How does that happen......

In the end he actually did alright to finish where he did, but he definitely wasn't as sharp as he usually is. He had a few great overtakes though, that one with Massa was pretty impressive, when so many other drivers wiped each other out there, he and Massa managed to just rub a bit of rubber off their tyres and keep going.

Vettel - dude was shooting black cats out the ass end of that Ferrari, it's the only explanation. He must have thought it was like Mad Max looking out his rear view mirrors. Cars hitting one another and failing all over the place. It was definitely Vettels day today, in a race where everyone seemed to be falling apart or smashing one another up, he was the only driver to get a consistent run.

Rosberg - seriously, I don't even know. He wasn't even pulling the Ferrari's in. He just doesn't seem to have it in him to really push that extra bit he needs.

Massa - my favourite little Brazilian had bit of a shitter.

McLaren - points? For both drivers? Yeop, hell has frozen over lol.

Maldonado - is that a record? Seriously this guy is a fucking joke that writes itself. He can't help himself. Other drivers must hold their breathe anytime they get near him, the other pit crews that have to stand out in front of the garage as he comes by must have balls of steel. The guys a fucking lunatic. Does he have some sort of record for penalties yet?

Saw this yesterday on Twitter in relation to Vettel's drive.

ZskJi9T.gif

Great race although I had to watch an aweful recorded BBC broadcast that was mostly just showing the Mercedes guys and commenting went like " Hamilton , Lewis Hamilton, Lewis , stupid Rosberg, Hamilton, Hamilton, bad Rosberg, Lewis, Hamilton this, Hamilton that and more hamilton so I was shocked to see an mostly invisible Vettel winning the race with two Red Bulls and a Torro Rosso behind it .

mclem

Some news:

Wait, is that positing a situation where Red Bull quits but Toro Rosso presses on?

Well, you can say what you want but losing Red Bull and its young driver program would be quite sad.

The first fourth in the Hungary GP went all through the Red Bull young driver program.

tomtom94

Well, you can say what you want but losing Red Bull and its young driver program would be quite sad.

The first fourth in the Hungary GP went all through the Red Bull young driver program.

Debatable whether Max really went through the Red Bull driver programme so much as was found and stuck in a Toro Rosso, but I get your point (and hadn't realised that til you mentioned it)

spuckthew

A bit of luck, and being the fastest driver. He was the fastest driver all weekend, including the race - it's just a shame he cocked up on the first lap.

Great race although I had to watch an aweful recorded BBC broadcast that was mostly just showing the Mercedes guys and commenting went like " Hamilton , Lewis Hamilton, Lewis , stupid Rosberg, Hamilton, Hamilton, bad Rosberg, Lewis, Hamilton this, Hamilton that and more hamilton so I was shocked to see an mostly invisible Vettel winning the race with two Red Bulls and a Torro Rosso behind it .

Yup, the BBC has a great commentary team but an embarrassing bias towards Hamilton.

joking aside, maldanado's passes are done in a manner in which he makes the other party responsible for not making contact. the golden rule of racing is that the driver doing the passing is responsible for making the clean pass. He has it backwards:

https://youtu.be/hWXxpDRfaWc?t=48 It's because of passes like these he ends up in so many contact situations.

Crap F1 commentary forces me to make a decision no one should have to; listen to BBC verbally fellate Hamilton for two hours, or listen to Leigh Diffey fellate himself on NBC for two hours. I mostly watch NBC out of laziness since I can watch the race replay easily enough on their website. It is bullshit though that they blank out the side-by-side commercial break feed when watching it on the web. It is stupid they take commercial breaks anyway, but really obnoxious that the online viewing is a 3rd rate experience.

DBT85

The world feed had very little of Vettel in it. The BBC couldn't have cut together much for a highlights version even if they'd wanted to.

Crap F1 commentary forces me to make a decision no one should have to; listen to BBC verbally fellate Hamilton for two hours, or listen to Leigh Diffey fellate himself on NBC for two hours. I mostly watch NBC out of laziness since I can watch the race replay easily enough on their website. It is bullshit though that they blank out the side-by-side commercial break feed when watching it on the web. It is stupid they take commercial breaks anyway, but really obnoxious that the online viewing is a 3rd rate experience.
I've watched half the races this season at my girlfriends house in Spanish since she only has basic cable. None of us speak spanish and quite frankly it hasn't been that much of a detriment to the racing or my enjoyment. On the plus side they don't have a commercial break.

Chris R

Only thing I didn't like about the race was how physical it was. Wouldn't have been as good of a race if it was clean, but it sucks that we need rubbing like we saw on Sunday to provide an exciting race.

I've watched half the races this season at my girlfriends house in Spanish since she only has basic cable. None of us speak spanish and quite frankly it hasn't been that much of a detriment to the racing or my enjoyment. On the plus side they don't have a commercial break.

I would take a Spanish feed (I don't speak Spanish) with no commercials over the NBC feed where I miss at least 1/3 of the race to commercial breaks .

Fox Mulder

I would take a Spanish feed (I don't speak Spanish) with no commercials over the NBC feed where I miss at least 1/3 of the race to commercial breaks .

Commercials suck, but the norm in US events.

I just don't like how NBC sends like one guy to the race and has almost zero content like Sky does in pre race coverage. NBC Sports has a 30 minute preshow but with 15 minutes of commercials. It's shit really, and does nothing to help educate an audience in the US or discuss much of anything.

I just get the sky broadcast.

Top Bottom