• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Sometimes I forget that other racing series have their own official YouTube channel with great content and full races and everything.

It's a shame that "the pinnacle of motorsport" is so far behind in that regard.
I always remember that Bernie Ecclestone is stuck in the 1800's.

Huh? Sky Sports F1 is already free for non-sports subscribers.

For how long, until end of this season? Sky Sports Discover:

sky3.jpg

F1 Broadcasting ‏@f1broadcasting

Sky can no longer run 6 full-time sports channels

tomtom94

For how long, until end of this season? Sky Sports Discover:

sky3.jpg

Right, hadn't seen that. It all depends on which of the ten races get shown on this new channel - if I were them I would show their exclusives, since competing with the BBC would just reduce their audience share and thus the likelihood of subscriptions, but it's Sky so who knows.

andshrew

Right, hadn't seen that. It all depends on which of the ten races get shown on this new channel - if I were them I would show their exclusives, since competing with the BBC would just reduce their audience share and thus the likelihood of subscriptions, but it's Sky so who knows.

If you give away your exclusives there's no reason for someone to upgrade to the full package which seems to be the entire point of this channel? Pretty sure the only way you can currently get Sky F1 is via the complete sports package... the deal that included it with the HD upgrade ended quite a while ago (but if you already had it I don't think they've tried to take it away...).

tomtom94

If you give away your exclusives there's no reason for someone to upgrade to the full package which seems to be the entire point of this channel? Pretty sure the only way you can currently get Sky F1 is via the complete sports package... the deal that included it with the HD upgrade ended quite a while ago (but if you already had it I don't think they've tried to take it away...).

Well if they try that there should be an outcry because the whole point was they were still by the technicalest of technicalities "free-to-air"...

Fox Mulder

Sometimes I forget that other racing series have their own official YouTube channel with great content and full races and everything.

It's a shame that "the pinnacle of motorsport" is so far behind in that regard.

If they could sign lucrative tv deals they would too.

Lauda's Twitter profile is fake and Toro Rosso are waiting for Renault's move.

"Toro Rosso were initially mentioned as one of the teams that Renault could buy out, but reports in recent weeks have suggested they are closing in on a deal with Lotus.

Tost says the ball remains in Renault's court with regards to a takeover.

"I can only say what has happened in the last months in connection with Renault and Toro Rosso," he told Formula1.com. "Yes, they have visited us in Faenza and Bicester but in the last weeks it has been quiet, so I assume that they have decided to buy another team.

"How that would influence Toro Rosso we have to see. We have to wait for Renault's move and announcement. Then we have to discuss a programme that fits the requests and needs of Toro Rosso.""

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/55667788/67735/STR-waiting-on-Renault-to-make-move

If they could sign lucrative tv deals they would too.

Too bad the viewers don't get much out of the lucrative tv deals. At least not directly.

What's more interesting in the story is Haas talking about the setup process in F1 and how long it takes, compared to other racing series.

“We’re doing a lot of planning, working on our factory, ordering equipment – all of that stuff right now,” he added. “That takes a lot more time than you would expect. Typically, it takes three to six months just to get something that you’ve ordered, but that’s the way it is.

“It’s not like we have a lot of time but, boy, if you had a shorter period of time, I don’t know how you’d do it.”

I really hope they're still on schedule. I'm definitely rooting for them.

Hülkenberg would be a complete idiot if he went to a rookie team.

At the same time I feel like his time to shine in F1 is up. He's 27, going to turn 28 right before the next race. It's not to say that he's too old, not talented or doesn't deserve a chance at a top team. But if he really was that good, I think someone would've picked him up already, instead of using him as a bargain chip for negotiations.

In a way, he reminds me of Nick Heidfeld.

Kyougar

maybe he could have been the second driver for Mercedes in 2010 instead of Schumacher if Schumacher wouldnt have come back.

But one of them, Hulk or Rosberg would have been booted in 2013 to make room for Hamilton.

tomtom94

Vergne's been announced as a driver for Andretti in Formula E - it's understood he has an 'out' if he gets offered an F1 contract.

The Hulk will go to Renault if they buy Lotus.

Ferrari - Vettel & Raikkonen
Force India - Maldonado & Perez
Haas - Gutierrez & Vergne
Manor - Magnussen & Vandoorne
McLaren - Button & Alonso
Mercedes - Hamilton & Rosberg
Red Bull - Ricciardo & Kvyat
Renault - Hulkenberg & Grosjean
Sauber - Nasr & Ericsson
Toro Rosso - Verstappen & Sainz
Williams - Massa & Bottas

Aiii

So not worth it
The Hulk will go to Renault if they buy Lotus.

Ferrari - Vettel & Raikkonen
Force India - Maldonado & Perez
Haas - Gutierrez & Vergne
Manor - Magnussen & Vandoorne
McLaren - Button & Alonso
Mercedes - Hamilton & Rosberg
Red Bull - Ricciardo & Kvyat
Renault - Hulkenberg & Grosjean
Sauber - Nasr & Ericsson
Toro Rosso - Verstappen & Sainz
Williams - Massa & Bottas

Haha, stopped reading after seeing your prediction for Ferrari, good one!

Haha, stopped reading after seeing your prediction for Ferrari, good one!

Bottas is not going to Ferrari.

Ferrari insider Turrini says they have no plans to buyout his Williams contract and are looking to negotiate a new deal with Kimi after they let the option to resign him on his current deal pass. Vettel and Allison will make sure their mate stays put for at least another season.

Bottas is staying at Williams to get pasted by Massa.

Zeknurn

Yeah, the money that Maldonado brings to Lotus is the reason why they are still afloat. Unless they can get that sweet Renault money, he ain't going nowhere.

Aiii

So not worth it
Once Lotus has that Renault money they will part from Maldonado quicker than Maldonado parts from track limits.

tomtom94

Something that occurred to me (admittedly before he lost the last of his credit from Spain 2012 with his stupidity since he joined Lotus) is that unless he lucks into a team doing well, Maldonado's sponsorship also pretty much means he'll never get a drive at a top team - they've all got pre-existing advertisers for the same product who pay more. Ferrari have Shell, Mercedes Petronas, Mclaren Mobil1, etc.

It's kind of a moot point given his recent career trajectory but I'd have loved to see him in a proper car. Shoot-out between him, Hulk, and Rosberg, say? That'd be fun.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I am kinda shocked that PDVSA believes it's a good business deal to give Maldonado 30 million bucks per season.

DD

Something that occurred to me (admittedly before he lost the last of his credit from Spain 2012 with his stupidity since he joined Lotus) is that unless he lucks into a team doing well, Maldonado's sponsorship also pretty much means he'll never get a drive at a top team - they've all got pre-existing advertisers for the same product who pay more. Ferrari have Shell, Mercedes Petronas, Mclaren Mobil1, etc.

It's kind of a moot point given his recent career trajectory but I'd have loved to see him in a proper car. Shoot-out between him, Hulk, and Rosberg, say? That'd be fun.

Well, Lotus has Total... =o

I am kinda shocked that PDVSA believes it's a good business deal to give Maldonado 30 million bucks per season.

Sponsorship in F1 in general seems so weird to me.

I understand why these companies do it, but I don't understand the audience they're targeting. I just don't see it. Perhaps it is because I'm not the target audience (i.e. filthy rich), but even then. Would I care about Petronas being the title sponsor of Mercedes? Or am I supposed to care about Mercedes as a Petronas stockholder, even though I favor Ferrari, because they don't create filthy peasant cars? As a regular Mercedes fan I'd be mad at Petronas for ruining the livery. Who's the target audience for PDVSA? Or are they (Petronas, Total, etc) targeting car enthusiasts, hoping they'd buy their lubricants and other products? But even then it can't be worth the money they're throwing around, can it?

Or maybe I'm just very tired and not able to see what's obvious right now.

itsgreen

I understand why these companies do it, but I don't understand the audience they're targeting. I just don't see it. Perhaps it is because I'm not the target audience (i.e. filthy rich), but even then. Would I care about Petronas being the title sponsor of Mercedes? Or am I supposed to care about Mercedes as a Petronas stockholder, even though I favor Ferrari, because they don't create filthy peasant cars? As a regular Mercedes fan I'd be mad at Petronas for ruining the livery. Who's the target audience for PDVSA? Or are they (Petronas, Total, etc) targeting car enthusiasts, hoping they'd buy their lubricants and other products? But even then it can't be worth the money they're throwing around, can it?

When you are a fan the idea is that you are more likely to purchase their product over a competitors product.
Brand recognition, when you are confronted with a choice between a product you know (Petronas) and an unknown/other product you probably choose Petronas.
Sponsors also get access to the team, so drivers for instance have to show up and meet relations of the sponsor. And sponsors can invite relations to races/test etc etc...

DBT85

When you are a fan the idea is that you are more likely to purchase their product over a competitors product.
Brand recognition, when you are confronted with a choice between a product you know (Petronas) and an unknown/other product you probably choose Petronas.
Sponsors also get access to the team, so drivers for instance have to show up and meet relations of the sponsor. And sponsors can invite relations to races/test etc etc...

Its odd innit, since I bought a Honda lol.

Kyougar

Williams Formula 1 driver Valtteri Bottas has revealed he will have to do special back exercises for the rest of his career following the injury he sustained earlier this year.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120223

Maybe this could be a nail in the coffin of his Ferrari Ambitions? Would Ferrari invest in a Driver that has a medical issue that could relapse? (Even if it is just their 2nd Driver and dismissing Massa, because he already was their Driver)

tomtom94

I'd argue one of the reasons F1 teams are struggling financially is that unlike a decade ago their primary sponsors are all 'industry products' (oil and so on) rather than consumer products.

Aiii

So not worth it
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120223

Maybe this could be a nail in the coffin of his Ferrari Ambitions? Would Ferrari invest in a Driver that has a medical issue that could relapse? (Even if it is just their 2nd Driver and dismissing Massa, because he already was their Driver)

Why, he does the exercises and then still...
Since the injury, Bottas has gone on to score points in seven of the last nine races to sit fourth in the championship, one point clear of Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen.

He'll be just fine.

Yeah, I obviously understand the concept and what they're trying to achieve. I get the consumer products and bigger brands. But is the McLaren sponsorship really worthwhile for CNN? Or for Columbia Records on Lotus (I guess not, since they're not doing it this year). Nova Chemicals on STR? Or, well, yeah, PDVSA on Lotus.

I mean, of course it's worthwhile for the teams, but I really wonder how much these companies without get out of having their names on the cars.

Aiii

So not worth it
You dont think it is not even considered when trying to find the next longterm Driver for Ferrari?

No, because there's no indication that it's going to impact his speed or ability to drive, at all.

His personal trainer at Ferrari will adjust his training according to what his body needs anyways.

eh, the guy can't overtake for shit, everytime he tries to, he crashes, i still remember silverstone 2012 or 13 where ALO and HAM were fighting for position and doing it in style, fighting without touching, then a little later there was PER fending off a fast approaching MAL who was going for the overtake, tried it, failed miserably and took out himself and PER, is as close to a night and day comparison can come

chadskin

F1 Jenson gassed in £300k robbery
JENSON Button and his wife Jessica lay unconscious and defenceless in bed as burglars ransacked their room and took her £250,000 engagement ring.

The couple were gassed in their sleep by raiders at a holiday villa they were renting in the south of France.

Police believe two experienced criminals pumped an anaesthetic gas into the property through its air conditioning vents.

Then, confident that Formula One star Jenson and the other occupants were out cold, they broke into the mansion in Saint-Tropez.

The intruders helped themselves to possessions worth more than £300,000. The items included Jessica’s five-carat engagement ring — a three-stoned large teardrop design diamond set in a diamond-encrusted platinum band.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/6577967/Jenson-Button-gassed-in-300k-villa-robbery.html

Holy hell.

Top Bottom