• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

COJCsiRWIAAxaiD.jpg:large

:O
This looks fucking photoshopped, holy shit!

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Holy cow, video of that Eurocup crash

Also, Mercedes performance today is a bit fishy to me. Either is there some issue with their new PU on Lewis car as well or they are using more DF heavy setup. Or they are messing around with competition...

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Starting grid is interesting, tomorrow should be fun... hopefully.

Both Williams cars will be dangerous, plus Nico can have a good start after long time. But in Monza, one nudge in the pack is enough for bowling to start.

Ericsson blaming the team that they did not told him that Hulkenberg is in flying lap and he was busy doing preparations for his fast lap

also
Jennie Gow ‏@JennieGow

#F1 Just spoken to Toto Wolff: They took a risk putting in the new engines. They are worried same could happen to Lewis but had no time to change his & Nico’s. So Nico’s engine is 6 races old and has to use old fuel. Lewis’ is new and on new fuel but with ?? on reliability #F1
So it looks like Lewis engine is detuned to lower, safer output power. Probably they are alrady working on this in the factory, so they will made tactical decisions tomorrow and maybe even fixed something under parc ferme rules.

Both Williams cars will be dangerous, plus Nico can have a good start after long time. But in Monza, one nudge in the pack is enough for bowling to start.

Ericsson blaming the team that they did not told him that Hulkenberg is in flying lap and he was busy doing preparations for his fast lap

also

So it looks like Lewis engine is detuned to lower, safer output power. Probably they are alrady working on this in the factory, so they will made tactical decisions tomorrow and maybe even fixed something under parc ferme rules.

Kravitz said he spoke to Toto who told him that Nico's engine is not salvageable (they don't think they can fix the issue).

Also, Wolff or Lauda also said that Lewis did not run with a de-tuned engine. I suspect, however, that they did not active the qualifying mode for Q3, which is why he did not improve on his Q2 time (well, he could have done a 1:23.2 if he had hooked his best sectors, but still, that's barely 1 second better than his time on the mediums).

Where is Hammer when we need Mercedes intel?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Kravitz said he spoke to Toto who told him that Nico's engine is not salvageable (they don't think they can fix the issue).

Also, Wolff or Lauda also said that Lewis did not run with a de-tuned engine. I suspect, however, that they did not active the qualifying mode for Q3, which is why he did not improve on his Q2 time (well, he could have done a 1:23.2 if he had hooked his best sectors, but still, that's barely 1 second better than his time on the mediums).

Where is Hammer when we need Mercedes intel?
Missed that part about Nico's engine - it sounds like crankshaft issue, which could also explain strange power oscillations. Probably they already shipped it back to Brackley for further examination. Also, if this issue is bigger, they could revert to old engines for Singapore, but I think that they will resolve the issue till then. They used remaining tokens on stuff, that will be frozen for 2016, so it could mean that it was not properly tester and they rushed it- it would explain Toto comment about 'gamble'.

Well, we all known how efficient Mercedes quali settings are (instant three tenths) and I think that your theory is very possible in this circumstances. But I bet that Toto or Niki wouldn't said publicly that they detuned the engine, probably other teams would shit themselves on the spot :D We will see how it will affect the pace on the race or if Lewis will retire tomorrow.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Totonator for Autosport
"We simply don't know what the root cause of the problem was on Nico's engine, but we don't think it was performance related," said Wolff.

"In terms of Lewis's engine, there is still a big question mark about what's actually happened and the potential risks for Lewis.

"If we find out that it is a major issue and is something that would put Lewis's race at risk [an engine change] is certainly something we would consider.

"Our car has great pace, and it would be better to play it safe."
Probably they are wondering what went wrong, because Nico finished two FPs without any issues. They appeared only during FP3 and whole magnitude appeared right after FP3. Some engine mechanics are probably working overtime already. Probably they will decide if they will replace Lewis engine with old one before the race, or took the risk. I think that they will gamble.

Aiii

So not worth it
Good penalty, there's no good reason to send out a car with only half the screws in it. What were they thinking?

Totonator for Autosport

Probably they are wondering what went wrong, because Nico finished two FPs without any issues. They appeared only during FP3 and whole magnitude appeared right after FP3. Some engine mechanics are probably working overtime already. Probably they will decide if they will replace Lewis engine with old one before the race, or took the risk. I think that they will gamble.

Courtesy of Autosport Forum:
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...-rosberg-keine-angst-vor-ferrari-9958964.html

From AMuS: Mercedes confident that Lewis's engine doesn't have any issue and that Rosberg's engine fault was done to a leak in the heat exchangers. Sounds like ROS's engine will be salvageable after all.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
AMuS have sources inside Mercedes team so their info is probably correct

Also Lauda said in the same article that new tyre pressure and camber settings also helped Ferrari to gain some pace (on softer compound)

And Manors starting 13th and 14th? That will be majestic ride down into the first corner, with Renault squad behind them :D

No. It feels like the season is already over.

I can't wait for the race. Wish I could just sleep and wake up 2 mins before the start..

I wouldn't be that exited if Kimi wasn't 2nd. I missed the first race in the season (Spa), and the first Spa race I miss since I've started watching F1 in 1996.

I hope not many are like me. I'm losing interest in the sport

Question.

Renault haven't used any of the engine development tokens? Ferrari have used 3 for Monza and 4 are left if I'm not wrong

EDIT: another question.

Do you think if Kimi was first and Seb second, would Ferrari ask them to switch positions?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Question.

Renault haven't used any of the engine development tokens? Ferrari have used 3 for Monza and 4 are left if I'm not wrong

EDIT: another question.

Do you think if Kimi was first and Seb second, would Ferrari ask them to switch positions?

Renault will use all tokens during preparations for 2016. Mercedes used all remaining seven before this race, but apparently on the engine stuff that will be frozen next year, Ferrari has four tokens remaining, but they willl probably follow Mercedes

Kimi will either DNF or team will screw him over. Vettel will finish in front of him.

Mercedes greenlight engine in Lewis car for today's race
But after overnight investigations at the track, the team concluded there was a leak in the cooling system and not a problem with the unit itself.

As a result, the reigning world champion is clear to race with the new engine.

"Overnight investigation has revealed the cause of Nico Rosberg's problem in Italian GP FP3 yesterday," tweeted Mercedes.

""This was traced to a leak in the cooling system which contaminated the power unit, not a problem with the engine itself.

"The power unit will be inspected in the coming days to decide if it can be used again at future races."
There is a question, how much water contaminated the engine - they found water in oil after FP3 and that was the reason for engine switch

jey_16

Banned
McLaren are facing the prospect of losing £20 million in sponsorship next year with two major brands poised to leave the team after one of the worst seasons in their history.
The Daily Telegraph understands that both Johnnie Walker, the whisky brand, and Santander, the banking group, are likely to walk away from McLaren with the team languishing ninth in the constructors’ championship.

Johnnie Walker have been with McLaren for a decade, bringing £15 million a season. Their expected departure will be all the more galling for Ron Dennis, the McLaren chairman, given they offered at the end of 2013 to become the team’s title sponsor in a £43 million-a-year deal.

Dennis turned it down because he believed the offer was too small.
A Johnnie Walker spokesman said on Friday night they are in “ongoing conversations” with McLaren but refused to comment on “speculation”. Santander’s £5 million yearly sponsorship is also set to end. The team also lost Hugo Boss to Mercedes last season after a 33-year association.

source

Ron turned them down, wow. Whole situation at McLaren is just hilarious

wonder how Fernando feels now....

Kimi will either DNF or team will screw him over. Vettel will finish in front of him.

I think the same. But I'm not a Kimi fan if I don't believe he will win it. How would I be able to get disappointed then?

A total of 168 grid positions as penalties for Monza

Ericsson: 3 places (impeding) Starts 12th on account of Sainz's penalty.

Button: 5 places (9th engine - already on 9th turbo)

Alonso: 10 places (9th engine)

Sainz: 35 (5th and 6th engines + 5th turbo, MHU-K and MGU-H)

Kvyat: 35 (6th and 7th engines + 5th and 6th turbo + gearbox)

Ricciardo: 50 (6th engine and 5th turbo, MGU-K and MGU-H + 7th engine and 6th turbo, MGU-K and MGU-H)

Verstappen: 30 places (7th engine and 5th turbo and MGU-K + broken seals on 6th engine (fitted for qualifying) Starts last on account of not running in qualifying. Will also take drive through in first three laps for unsafe release in Q1

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120674

Top Bottom