• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

The first race is always crazy. There will be better ones ahead.

Hamilton was beautifully controlling the gap to Rosberg. Still it seemed like he couldn't really get rid of him. They also looked very friendly all weekend. I reckon it will turn ugly again when one driver is uncomfortably behind in the points.

Oh Rosberg is still hung up as all hell considering the amount of times he was referencing Hamilton as 'World Champion' all weekend. We get it Nico, now pull your shit together because you're capable of beating Hamilton.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Hamilton was beautifully controlling the gap to Rosberg. Still it seemed like he couldn't really get rid of him. They also looked very friendly all weekend. I reckon it will turn ugly again when one driver is uncomfortably behind in the points.

Gap was always more than 1.5 seconds and less than 4 seconds. Also they will still use their favorite tactic of getting away and then driving on cruise control for second half of the race and maybe battling each other.

Oh, last year's gap to 2nd place --> 24 seconds, this year to 3rd (1.8 between both Silver arrows) --> 33 seconds.

Shaneus

Rosberg = Webber.

Notice how startlingly close Rosberg got to WDC last year, just like Webber in 2010. That's the closest he'll get.

Ark

It seems to me that Rosberg is giving Hamilton the respect he deserves rather than taking pot shots at him. They seem to be on much better footing than last year, and I don't imagine it'll deteriorate too much like last year.

Good result for Ferrari and Williams. Really happy to see Sauber doing so well and I hope Lotus can improve too. Once McLaren sort themselves out we should be in for a good season. Force India are in a pretty desperate place.

Nasr was really impressive though. Makes me wonder what Palmer could do in an F1 car.

It was a boring race though, but the results were really interesting.

NHale

What a boring race. Melbourne is such a great track that provides great entertainment almost every year but this year it was sleep inducing.

It's incredible how Williams keep messing up their tactics on race day. Can't you see if you pit at that time, you are going to be stuck behind Ricciardo? It's that hard to learn because last year there were multiple races they made the same exact mistake or went the other way around and pitted too late.

Driver of the day has to be Felipe Nasr. He's either a great driver or Eriksson is terrible but I'm guessing both.

Ark

Tbh last year was far more boring than this years Aus GP. The only interesting thing was Bottas climbing through the field, which stopped when he hit the wall.

Red Bull (sorta) does have a point.

In their 4 years of domination everyone was trying to ban any innovation they had. So now it's not aero but engine no one cares.

But it's very childish what Marko said.

Mateschitz must be annoying the hell out of Piëch to get into F1.

DieH@rd

Banned
KITTEN UPDATE

He hates F1.

DSC_0337-e1426399965857.jpg

Someone needs to shop Maldonado and his crashed car in this pic.

DBT85

In their 4 years of domination everyone was trying to ban any innovation they had. So now it's not aero but engine no one cares.

But the Mercedes isn't just a good engine, but a good chassis. They were 1.4 seconds clear of the next Mercedes power unit car in Qualifying, so clearly its not just the engine.

Maybe Christian should be trying to work out why the rest of the car is so damned fast!

Didn't know Arnold was into F1 :D

I don't think he is. He was probably around to promote the new Terminator movie and they asked him last minute to do the interview. He didn't even know their names nor who they were. Moving on to Nico, after interviewing Lewis, and ask him how it feels to be second was really cringeworthy.

DD

I suspect Wolfe would then take Williams to court. I imagine she turns up every weekend for a reason and with a stack full of cash attached.

Claire said that Suzie won't take that car in Malaysia because she's their test driver, not a reserve driver. They also have Alex Lynn, but he's inexperienced. So... I think that they'll probably invite someone else for the seat, if needed.

frontieruk

I don't think he is. He was probably around to promote the new Terminator movie and they asked him last minute to do the interview. He didn't even know their names nor who they were. Moving on to Nico, after interviewing Lewis, and ask him how it feels to be second was really cringeworthy.

Someone briefed him very well pre race as well as he was telling brundle about the car acceleration and how he couldn't believe the cars only weighed 700kg

But the Mercedes isn't just a good engine, but a good chassis. They were 1.4 seconds clear of the next Mercedes power unit car in Qualifying, so clearly its not just the engine.

Maybe Christian should be trying to work out why the rest of the car is so damned fast!

True, that chassis is also pretty good (to prove that point, even Jenson Button had a higher top speed at the start/finish line than Rosberg) but Mercedes can also instruct customer teams not to run engines at full power, which lets face is wrong on every level.

But like I said Red Bull have been more active in the development of the PU so they really shouldn't bitch and complain, but at the same time other teams shouldn't have tried to ban some of the innovations Red Bull came up with in their glory years.

Claire said that Suzie won't take that car in Malaysia because she's their test driver, not a reserve driver. They also have Alex Lynn, but he's inexperienced. So... I think that they'll probably invite someone else for the seat, if needed.

They should just let her drive, it's not going to harm them.

DBT85

True, that chassis is also pretty good (to prove that point, even Jenson Button had a higher top speed at the start/finish line than Rosberg) but Mercedes can also instruct customer teams not to run engines at full power, which lets face is wrong on every level.

But like I said Red Bull have been more active in the development of the PU so they really shouldn't bitch and complain, but at the same time other teams shouldn't have tried to ban some of the innovations Red Bull came up with in their glory years.

Can you point me to a source where an engine supplier can hamper a customer team like that? Only they have to provide identical equipment to all teams, thats part of the rules. So Mercedes being allowed to tell Williams to run at 90% seems a little bizarre. Ferrari can supply Manor with a 2014 engine becuase they are paying for a 2014 engine. Sauber will get any upgrades at exactly the same time as Ferrari.

Trying to ban everything on your competitors is standard F1 fare. That the FIA still took so long to ban the front wings with more flex than a B52 wing was astonishing to me.

Mohonky

There is some big Arnold body building show on at the moment, all the protein shake gym junkies keep posting themselves having a good flex next to professionals on my facebook feed this weekend). When I saw Arnie running round I figured ah, that's why he's here.

On Rosberg and Ham, they did look pretty friendly, I am sure its mostly professional and damage was done to their friendship after a couple of races last year but I suspect now they've had a year to work one another out on track, so long as there are is no real massive dick moves by either one of them on the other they'll probably be ok for the year. They both got bit of a verbal beat down after Spa.

Plus its the start of the season so the pressure about races left and point availability wont be hitting them too hard just yet, plenty more races too come, no point getting really wound up. Just focus on the race, keep the car in one piece and bring it home will be the main focus.

Can you point me to a source where an engine supplier can hamper a customer team like that? Only they have to provide identical equipment to all teams, thats part of the rules. So Mercedes being allowed to tell Williams to run at 90% seems a little bizarre. Ferrari can supply Manor with a 2014 engine becuase they are paying for a 2014 engine. Sauber will get any upgrades at exactly the same time as Ferrari.

Trying to ban everything on your competitors is standard F1 fare. That the FIA still took so long to ban the front wings with more flex than a B52 wing was astonishing to me.

On the flexi wings, are you talking about them in general or after they tightened the reigns on them and Redbull was still flexing like a mofo? Because in the Redbull case I suspect their testing methodology was wrong in that they were looking in the wrong place; they were testing the flex of the ends of the wing when it wasn't that that was flexing but the entire front nose. It was clear as day something was going on because the entire front wing was near inches lower than the other teams and the other teams knew it was flexing but because the FIA was surely testing the front winglets they missed that it was the entire nose flexing.

Cuddler

Just finished watching the race, one of the most boring and embarrassing first race that I've ever seen imo, many errors, technical problems and few cars at the start and at the end of the race. Also I couldn't see very well the purple fastest laps, lol. Hope Malaysia will be way better than this.
Will still watch all the season because of Kimi

Pimpwerx

Melbourne has produced more processional races than exciting ones. Nostalgia is playing with our perception there.

Merc really look a whole lot more prepared than anyone else. It's almost like they ran a pro/am this weekend.

It's more than just engine, as they clobbered everyone. The aero and mechanical grip are both off the charts for the W06. I don't think there's any area where it won't be the fastest.

There is a very good chance the Mercs were running at reduced power for most of the race. I should say, in fuel saver mode. While Lewis and Nico were still battling, I don't know if they were doing so at a full-rich mixture. I assume there's plenty of pace in reserve. PEACE.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Williams should be bigger thread in Malaysia and there is also a possible rain factor :) And I still think that we will see a BBQ at Mclaren.

Aiii

So not worth it
Melbourne has produced more processional races than exciting ones. Nostalgia is playing with our perception there. PEACE.

Pimpwerx is right here, I've never thought of AU as a particularly exciting race most of the time. AND WAR.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Someone being playing with the fuel flow regulations with some clever work-around of the regulations, maybe Mercedes?

AutoSport

This technical directive demands that fuel pressure is measured at various points in the fuel system from the tank to the injectors.

Currently, the system has a pump in the fuel tank, which pumps fuel via the fuel flow sensor up to the high-pressure direct injection pump on the cylinder heads.

In theory, with the fuel-flow sensor, it should not be possible to have fuel flowing into the engine at a rate greater than that measured by the fuel flow sensor.

But as the fuel flow sensor is in the fuel tank, there is some distance between it and the fuel injectors, as indicated in the diagram below.

There, you could potentially accumulate fuel during periods of low demand from the engine.

This could subsequently be pumped into the engine at a greater pressure and/or fuel-flow rate than stipulated by the regulations.

This greater fuel flow would increase engine power, which is currently restricted by fuel-flow regulations.

I've heard Ted Kravitz mention on his Notebook last season with Williams that Mercedes has the call if and when to use maximum power. It was late last season so maybe it's on youtube. So while in qualifying it's ok, in the race it might be a different issue.

But it's hardly a secret that engineers from the manufacturers control the PUs.

DBT85

I've heard Ted Kravitz mention on his Notebook last season with Williams that Mercedes has the call if and when to use maximum power. It was late last season so maybe it's on youtube. So while in qualifying it's ok, in the race it might be a different issue.

I've never heard anything about it. While I don't watch every notebook or all the faff before and after, I watch every race. I've asked Ted and Scarbs the question on twitter, hopefully they'll reply.

Also Vettel and Nico had fun

NR: I hope we can have a good fight. That would be awesome. I think the next couple of races we’re going to be leading the way for sure, and we’re going to try and keep it that way, but we know it would be good if they can come a bit closer, as long as they don’t come too close…

SV: Be honest. Do you really hope so? Seriously? You finished 30 seconds ahead of us and you hope it’s going to be closer? So you hope you slow down? Is that what you’re saying?

NR: I hope that you can give us a challenge! Because it’s important for the sport and for the fans. And I do think about the show. Half of me – or a part of me – thinks about the show because I want to give people a great time at home watching on TV or at the track. If you do come a bit closer, that would be awesome for everybody.

SV: First suggestion, if you don’t mind, I think your garage becomes public for Malaysia and everyone can have a look. No? I’m joking.

NR: You can come if you want, we can invite you…

SV: OK, thank you for the invite, I’ll come.

NR: Friday Malaysia, OK.

SV: Engineers’ room? Debrief, I’ll be there.

Pimpwerx

That doesn't sound right at all. It's a customer engine. The customer can run the engine at any power level they want. They have Merc as tech support, so if there's an issue plaguing the current revision of engines, Merc can advise their customers on how to handle it. If that means running at reduced power, then they can advise teams to do so. There's no way they can tell teams to turn an engine down just for the hell of it, and there's no reason any customer should be required to follow such advice in a competitive setting. If Williams is competing on track, what incentive is there for them to turn the power down? By law the engines should be the same as the one in the W06, whether they follow Merc's request or not. PEACE.

That doesn't sound right at all. It's a customer engine. The customer can run the engine at any power level they want. They have Merc as tech support, so if there's an issue plaguing the current revision of engines, Merc can advise their customers on how to handle it. If that means running at reduced power, then they can advise teams to do so. There's no way they can tell teams to turn an engine down just for the hell of it, and there's no reason any customer should be required to follow such advice in a competitive setting. If Williams is competing on track, what incentive is there for them to turn the power down? By law the engines should be the same as the one in the W06, whether they follow Merc's request or not. PEACE.

Not true. You have engineers from the manufacturers embedded in the customer team and they make the final call. It's not the TP or the technical director who makes that decision. And customer teams cannot run their engines outside the parameters defined by the manufacturer. Question is, do you think those parameters are the same for the customers and works team?
Of course they have to give a reason for their decision, but that can be sometimes muddy and not very clear to the customer team.

And obviously Mercedes HPP as an engine provider is not going to share all the details on maximizing performance when it has a works team. So while customer engines might be the same, maximizing performance is obviously something that a works team has an advantage over any customer team.

Pimpwerx

Not true. You have engineers from the manufacturers embedded in the customer team and they make the final call. It's not the TP or the technical director who makes that decision. And customer teams cannot run their engines outside the parameters defined by the manufacturer. Question is, do you think those parameters are the same for the customers and works team?
Of course they have to give a reason for their decision, but that can be sometimes muddy and not very clear to the customer team.

And obviously Mercedes HPP as an engine provider is not going to share all the details on maximizing performance when it has a works team. So while customer engines might be the same, maximizing performance is obviously something that a works team has an advantage over any customer team.
Sorry, but what you're saying goes against most customs/vendor relationships. Having personnel embedded in a team doesn't give them control over strategic application, which this most certainly would be. The only reason they have embeds is because this is a traveling circus, and tech support needs to be instantaneous. There's no time to fly someone in. I've been on project teams where we used vendor software or hardware. At IBM, we had vendor embeds. While we were locked out of firmware and certain proprietary components, application of the vendor item was at the project team's discretion.

I'd like to know where you're getting your information. I can't provide evidence to support my argument, but mine isn't the one that goes against the norm here. What you're suggesting presents an obvious conflict of interest just on the surface alone. There's no way it could be as you say, as that would essentially give Merc control of their customers' races. That simply isn't so. Also, why would Merc have more oppressive policies than Renault or Ferrari? There's a lot wrong with what you're claiming, the least of which is none of us has ever heard of that before. Merc has been an engine supplier for a decade or so, and this is the first I've heard of such a policy. It doesn't make sense. PEACE.

Mohonky

By innovation you mean cheating right?

They got away with flexible wings for freaking years. Everyone knew you were not allowed to use it and the cars were tested for it. So they just found a way for it to pass the test despite still flexing. Everyone could see it clear as day, the wings flexed like crazy but because it passed the testing they were using, they got away with it till someone noticed the entire nose was flexing.

Then you had holes in the floor. They were told they couldn't be there. RB said they weren't holes, they were a 'gap' instead and they didn't make the car faster anyway....which is a complete load of shit because absolutely nothing is on these cars that doesn't have to be there, especially a Newey design.

Redbull are the king of 'we aren't breaking the rules, just bending them a bit / we interpret the rules slightly differently' excuses of finding new ways to cheat what other teams clearly know are not permitted.

They were caught out numerous times and had usually benefitted over the course of multiple races before the FIA finally said no you can't have that but they never lost any points in the WDC or WCC so they just kept doing shit till it got banned.

Same old, same old at the front. Mercedes so dominant, Williams flattering to deceive, Ferrari having their new chosen one do well and Kimi not.

Lotus helped Sauber a lot. Couldn't help but laugh at Maldonado even if it wasn't his fault, LOL!

But ultimately disgusted that only 15 cars started.

They make the final call if there are issues with that revision of engine. Not on how hard customer teams can push them. If the customer team wants to run the engine at max all the time that's fine, but you'll go through more engines, incur penalties for doing so, and will cos you more money due to more engines and penalties.
Scarbs says he doubts that a supplier can limit a customers power

https://twitter.com/ScarbsF1/status/577137663083454464

Someone being playing with the fuel flow regulations with some clever work-around of the regulations, maybe Mercedes?

AutoSport

Hmmmmm, interesting. Would explain why they are still half a second a lap faster while being in "fuel save mode".

Not against the rules persay but not exactly transparent either :p

Ruruja

Maybe it's me not paying as much attention to the race as usual, but did it seem like there was very little onboard footage during the race? I can only really remember seeing external shots.

Top Bottom