• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Great work by the Sauber-team and both their drivers today.

They've had quite a difficult week - no running in FP1, Ericssons car broke in FP2 and he had brake-problems yesterday. Nasr fifth in his first ever race and Ericsson got his first points in F1 as well.

Nice win, but I want other teams to compete :(
resized_Creepy-Willy-Wonka.jpg
I wouldn't hold my breath.

Juicy Bob

If Bottas can't race in Sepang, could Williams ask Sauber really nicely to let them have Nasr for a weekend?

That would allow Sauber to run VdG without any problems...

If Bottas can't race in Sepang, could Williams ask Sauber really nicely to let them have Nasr for a weekend?

That would allow Sauber to run VdG without any problems...

I suspect Wolfe would then take Williams to court. I imagine she turns up every weekend for a reason and with a stack full of cash attached.

Zeknurn

I suspect Wolfe would then take Williams to court. I imagine she turns up every weekend for a reason and with a stack full of cash attached.

Court over what? Williams will pick the driver that will score them the most points and she's just their test driver.

Edit: Unless they can somehow find someone better they will probably get GP3 champion Alex Lynn to drive.

Yep it's gonna be a very boring year...

Incidentally, as much as I like to see McLaren suffer does anyone know what's allowed in term of engine developments this year? I recall there was some kerfuffle because Honda was allowed to release revisions while Renault and Ferrari weren't. Is that the case?

What a race. All the meme's were there.

McLaren blowing up before the race even starts.

Crashdonaldo crashing on the first lap.

Mercedes miles from everyone else.

McLaren being terrible.

The only uncertain thing that happened today was Sauber being......good. o_O

Although even more surprising was seeing Button actually finish the race :p

Button will get DQed because there's no way the real Honda engine would've finished the race.

Lol. Okay that one caught me off guard :p

Shaneus

That car still had the Merc engine.
Honda used a token to make a single change, by replacing the entire engine with the Merc one.

Edit: Too many people to feel sorry for this race, too. Mostly Verstappen and (somehow?!) Maldonado. And Grosjean (did anyone notice that on the grid preview, at least at the circuit, it said Romain ROSBERG?). Must've had some Renault parts still installed in the Lotus.

Ok, last season i was definitely cheering for hamilton, but really, this season .... get out of the way, let someone else win.
I'd be so in for a battle between vettel and rosberg.

dakun

in my 20+ years of watching F1 i never once fell asleep during the race and was absolutely fine with it afterwards.. Halfway through the race i decided it just wasn't worth my time anymore.
what an absolute bore fest that was..

Pre-season testing needs to be expanded to at least double the dates.. It's obvious that basically half the field has come to Australia with barely working cars.. FIA needs to stop this shit of constantly changing rules where teams can't catch up to the regulations fast enough to make a working car in 3 months time... what little i watched today was an embarrassment to the sport only topped by the 6 car race in 2005. If you add to that the Sauber driver Line up issue.. i doubt i have seen a more chaotic start to a season than this one.

Daffy Duck

That was a boring race!

Says it all when you hardly see the person in first.

The best bit was the podium interview with Arnie, that was awesome.

Juicy Bob

in my 20+ years of watching F1 i never once fell asleep during the race and was absolutely fine with it afterwards.. Halfway through the race i decided it just wasn't worth my time anymore.
what an absolute bore fest that was..

Pre-season testing needs to be expanded to at least double the dates.. It's obvious that basically half the field has come to Australia with barely working cars.. FIA needs to stop this shit of constantly changing rules where teams can't catch up to the regulations fast enough to make a working car in 3 months time... what little i watched today was an embarrassment to the sport only topped by the 6 car race in 2005. If you add to that the Sauber driver Line up issue.. i doubt i have seen a more chaotic start to a season than this one.
Again, I don't understand how testing is the issue here.

We had no fewer pre-season testing days than we had had in the previous four or five years and everyone has been fine up to this race. If lack of testing was the problem, then why did the three least-tested cars that actually started the race (one McLaren, two Force Indias) make it to the chequered flag just fine?

The biggest issues responsible for the lack of finishers today were the lack of money in the sport (Manor, Caterham) and the fact that both Renault and Honda have unreliable engines at this stage of the season. Everything on the Mercedes and Ferrari front look just fine - the only reason Raikkonen retired was because of a wheel hub issue, after all.

Business

It's a good thing my alarm failed me today. Downloaded the race and basically skipped most of it, what a borefest that was.

Ce-Lin

I'm glad missed this one, might as well skip the rest of the season, watching a car on rails winning every race and the rest 30+ seconds off the pace racing for scraps is not what I call fun or interesting to watch, perhaps this is the best TV show for the British, for the real F1 fans this is a boring fest bigger than the Kilimanjaro.

dakun

Again, I don't understand how testing is the issue here.

We had no fewer pre-season testing days than we had had in the previous four or five years and everyone has been fine up to this race. If lack of testing was the problem, then why did the three least-tested cars that actually started the race (one McLaren, two Force Indias) make it to the chequered flag just fine?

The biggest issues responsible for the lack of finishers today were the lack of money in the sport (Manor, Caterham) and the fact that both Renault and Honda have unreliable engines at this stage of the season. Everything on the Mercedes and Ferrari front look just fine - the only reason Raikkonen retired was because of a wheel hub issue, after all.

i wouldn't call Ferrari fine.. under normal circumstances being more than 1 second behind the fastest car would make you a middle of the field car and not the best of the rest.. their apparent "success" is a product of the absolute failure of the rest of the field. Ferrari moved nowhere from last season. Everyone else just got way worse.

The lack of money is one thing sure, but that has always been an issue especially with smaller teams.. But what could be the cause for big engine suppliers like Renault and Honda failing to deliver working engines?? to me the obvious answer is the constant rule changing by the FIA coupled with the strict testing rules that won't allow even the manufacturers to properly test the engines until 1-2 month before the first race.
Basically these cars are nothing but prototypes for the next season because they can't make big enough changes to properly improve the car to a competitive standard and
on top of that have to hope that the current set of regulations are still the standard for next season. And if not, basically start from scratch because the car they kept developing and spend money for throughout the season is for the most part worthless when it comes to developing the next one.

DBT85

Great result for me, but boring race. Great for Mercedes to get both cars in the points while Ferrari, Williams and Red Bull couldn't.

Losing Bottas didn't help as a 3 way with him Vettel and Massa would have been nice. Even Kimi had he not got knocked back so early.

On Maldonado, only seen it once so not sure if he could have just not turned in or if he was hit. On first watching it seemed like he turned in more than he needed to at that time in the race. Sad to see Grosjean have to retire too.

McLaren were a surprise frankly, I didn't think they'd get to the end or be as fast as that. Some nice work by JB to keep the car going and fighting with Perez.

Oddly it seems that Christian Horner thinks that a virtual safety car will bunch the pack up? To my knowledge, under a VSC everyone will at the same time be forced to lap at a set pace, meaning nobody can gain or lose time unless they pit.

Best podium interviews ever.

Btw, dumb question but is it 4 engines per DRIVER per year or is that per "CAR" ?
i.e. if the engine Magnussen had blew up and can't be salvaged, is Alonso already down one ?

According to the sporting regulations, its 4 per driver.

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom.../inside-f1/rules-regs/Power_Unit_and_ERS.html

So Fernando will get to run one less race with his 4 engines.

Court over what? Williams will pick the driver that will score them the most points and she's just their test driver.

Edit: Unless they can somehow find someone better they will probably get GP3 champion Alex Lynn to drive.

Well that would all depend on her contract with Williams. If it says that she will be the first replacement in case of the main drivers not being able to participate then she'll have to get the seat. Since she was given some testing time it only makes sense that she would be the one as she'll know the cars systems better than anyone else.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I think that even if we go back to V8, Mercedes would still be the force to beat. They have such insane advantage that I think that only massive rule change will dethrone them. And with their mechanical expertise, they would be back in the game quite soon.

Bottas DNS today could be quite beneficial later in season, when engine fatigue will kick in

Lewis is 5 wins behind Vettel and 7 behind his idol

Staab

Poor Button.

I hope that somehow Honda manage to improve during the season, will be horrible to watch MCLaren, out of a race because of the 107% rule.

The engine was running at 50% power range according to Arai plus ers problems, things will get much better, McLaren will win grand prix this season.

thenexus6

I honestly can't decide what's the worst part of this gif, the fact that's 35MB for 5 seconds of footage, or the fact that it's 35MB and the tit that made it had the audacity to watermark it as if he was doing the world a favor.

The guy must have a lot of pride.

Just got back from watching this race and im glad that im not the only one thinking it was a boring race to watch.....the crowd was absolutely dead where i was sitting and apart from the odd cheers for Ricardo going past many people were leaving by about lap 35 as once everyone got their stops out of the way it was all over.

Some observations from the track

The race also seemed pretty small with all the cars that got knocked out before the race

The Mercs sounded and looked in another class...their cornering was smooth the engines sounded nice and the gear changes were also quick and crisp

One thing i noticed about the other cars is how the engines sometimes bottomed out
or backfired up-shifting causing the cars to jolt...(noticed this on riccardios car)
Vettels Ferrari was also doing this and he almost touched the wall on the pit straight because of it

The Saubers put in a shit load of laps in practice and seemed consistent

Arnold needs to ease off the tanning bed...

DBT85

Lol #overreactionsunday

Don't let the door hit you on the way out Marko!

Have to say, Red bUll always appear to be the most childish team regardless of how well they are doing. Toys and prams are forever parting ways.

EDIT: Regarding Susie Wollf
http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/2...liams-have-slipped-behind-a-resurgent-ferrari
Bottas is expected to be passed fit to return to the cockpit in Malaysia, but should the Finn be forced to once again stay on the sidelines, it appears unlikely that Susie Wollf would deputise.

“She is not actually our reserve driver, she is our test driver,” Symonds explained. “With Valtteri we are getting good indications from the medical people. I don’t think I have ever seen a race driver as disappointed when I spoke to him this morning.”

jey_16

Banned
Red Bull are a bunch of whiners, win everything for 4 years and now suddenly when your not competitive F1 is not right.

Toughen up and work harder

HONDAPU22 @hondapu22 ·

My name is Akio. It's nice to finally meet you.

HONDAPU22 @hondapu22

The warm-up lap teases me. I want to go for real, now.

HONDAPU22 @hondapu22 ·

My exhaust gases are over 1000 degrees. Hot enough to melt silver & gold.

HONDAPU22 @hondapu22 ·

Keep it up @JensonButton. We'll defend our position like warriors!

HONDAPU22 @hondapu22 ·

Pit stop time. A little rest, but it's not needed. I want to go again!

HONDAPU22 @hondapu22 ·
I love this sequence of turns, with my optimised engine map. Heeeeere we go.

HONDAPU22 @hondapu22 ·

My first outing felt very good, and I have plenty more to give.

HONDAPU14 @hondapu14

I am Derrick. Now you can see me.

HONDAPU14 @hondapu14 ·

I may not be at my full potential yet. But this will not stop me giving all I can.

HONDAPU14 @hondapu14

That wasn't the plan. I still have so much to give.

HONDAPU14 @hondapu14 ·

Do it for the both of us Akio! @HondaPU22

lol

LoveCake

It's going to be one of those seasons by the looks of it :(

When Brawn were winning nearly every race they were the underdogs & it was a true success story from a basically bankrupt team, thus it was still interesting to watch because of the story behind the team.

When Schumacher was winning all the time in the Ferrari, even though everyone knew he was going to win, it was like watching Dick Dastardly race & there was always something interesting, either there was a furor over something Ferrari or Schumacher had done or people were mesmerized by the perfect driving machine putting in a perfect performance.

It's going to be one of those seasons by the looks of it :(

When Brawn were winning nearly every race they were the underdogs & it was a true success story from a basically bankrupt team, thus it was still interesting to watch because of the story behind the team.

When Schumacher was winning all the time in the Ferrari, even though everyone knew he was going to win, it was like watching Dick Dastardly race & there was always something interesting, either there was a furor over something Ferrari or Schumacher had done or people were mesmerized by the perfect driving machine putting in a perfect performance.

Whoa, let's not get crazy in here.

Overall a disappointing start to the season and it's shocking how unprepared a lot of the teams are. There could be some interesting battles between Williams and Ferrari for 3rd but I am not looking forward to another season of Merc domination.

John_B

The first race is always crazy. There will be better ones ahead.

Hamilton was beautifully controlling the gap to Rosberg. Still it seemed like he couldn't really get rid of him. They also looked very friendly all weekend. I reckon it will turn ugly again when one driver is uncomfortably behind in the points.

Top Bottom