• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Sloane

Banned
Maybe it's me not paying as much attention to the race as usual, but did it seem like there was very little onboard footage during the race? I can only really remember seeing external shots.
There was some at the start, from Button's car, for example. Felt less during the race though, yeah -- guess either something didn't work or there just wasn't much to show.

So disappointed with that first race. I don't know what's worse Mercedes running away with it again, McLaren doing so badly or so many retirements.

Something needs to happen this season or it's going to be a boring.

DBT85

Someone being playing with the fuel flow regulations with some clever work-around of the regulations, maybe Mercedes?

AutoSport

We'll soon see if it has been being done if after the change any team dramatically changes pace.

Why they never measured at the injectors before is a mystery.

Bearing in mind if anyone were doing it, any customer teams would also have had access to it. I wonder where this has come from.

EDIT: Seems Horner wants the FIA to use the torque data and other engine data they collect from each car to "equalise" the field. Maybe if they had access to the load sensors which showed downforce they could have done that while Red Bull were owning everyone. He really is the worst loser in F1 in years.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118078

Horner suggested that the FIA could use the data on engine performance that it collects as the basis for equalisation.

"The FIA have a torque sensor on every engine," he said.

"They can see what every power unit is producing and they have the facts.

"They could quite easily come up with some form of equalisation."

Toto has a reply though

"If you come into Formula 1 and you try to perform at the highest level and equalisation is what you need after the first race and you cry out, that's not how we have done things in the past," said Wolff.

"I just think get your head down, work hard and sort it out.

"It is always a political season; it was last year and it will be this year."

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Mercedes will bring new aero parts to the next race

Also lap chart nicely shows how WIL slaughtered their 3rd place chances with that early pitstop

Mohonky

We'll soon see if it has been being done if after the change any team dramatically changes pace.

Why they never measured at the injectors before is a mystery.

Bearing in mind if anyone were doing it, any customer teams would also have had access to it. I wonder where this has come from.

EDIT: Seems Horner wants the FIA to use the torque data and other engine data they collect from each car to "equalise" the field. Maybe if they had access to the load sensors which showed downforce they could have done that while Red Bull were owning everyone. He really is the worst loser in F1 in years.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118078

Toto has a reply though

Horner and Redbull in general are fucking idiots. I could never support them. Perpetual cheaters and the first to spit the dummy when shit isn't going their way.

"Our car isn't dominating; this isn't good for F1, the FIA should do something to level the playing field"

Go fuck yourself Horner you cry baby.

Sorry, but what you're saying goes against most customs/vendor relationships. Having personnel embedded in a team doesn't give them control over strategic application, which this most certainly would be. The only reason they have embeds is because this is a traveling circus, and tech support needs to be instantaneous. There's no time to fly someone in. I've been on project teams where we used vendor software or hardware. At IBM, we had vendor embeds. While we were locked out of firmware and certain proprietary components, application of the vendor item was at the project team's discretion.

Most customer/vendor relationships aren't like F1 teams using start-of-the-art technologies and few customers to sell to, with embarrassing and very public results if the product fails. Supply and demand, and that's even more the case in F1.

Like I said, and to be perfectly clear, customer teams need permission to run at maximum power. That is my understanding of the situation. I might be wrong - and it wouldn't the first time - but that is my understanding. And by maximum power I mean (some) settings and parameters that are used by the works team.

That simply isn't so. Also, why would Merc have more oppressive policies than Renault or Ferrari? There's a lot wrong with what you're claiming, the least of which is none of us has ever heard of that before. Merc has been an engine supplier for a decade or so, and this is the first I've heard of such a policy. It doesn't make sense. PEACE.

I never said it was something exclusive to Mercedes. But Mercedes last year would strip Mclaren of their PUs at the GP venue, and Felipe Massa suspects thinks Williams is not getting equal engines. And I mentioned Mercedes by name because I remember the video with Williams and either Rob Smedley or Pat Simmonds. Can't find the link, so I really can't back it up.

By innovation you mean cheating right?

They got away with flexible wings for freaking years. Everyone knew you were not allowed to use it and the cars were tested for it. So they just found a way for it to pass the test despite still flexing. Everyone could see it clear as day, the wings flexed like crazy but because it passed the testing they were using, they got away with it till someone noticed the entire nose was flexing.

Then you had holes in the floor. They were told they couldn't be there. RB said they weren't holes, they were a 'gap' instead and they didn't make the car faster anyway....which is a complete load of shit because absolutely nothing is on these cars that doesn't have to be there, especially a Newey design.

Redbull are the king of 'we aren't breaking the rules, just bending them a bit / we interpret the rules slightly differently' excuses of finding new ways to cheat what other teams clearly know are not permitted.

They were caught out numerous times and had usually benefitted over the course of multiple races before the FIA finally said no you can't have that but they never lost any points in the WDC or WCC so they just kept doing shit till it got banned.

That has F1 works: pushing the rules.

Ferrari did the same thing doing endless miles in Fiorano in the Schumi days. Not to mention they had Bridgestone working almost exclusively for them at one point.

Jibbed

Yep, you push what you can to borderline illegality until the FIA calls it quits. Anything to give you an edge.

Red Bull will be doing things chassis-wise that other teams haven't even thought of, so Horner can shut up about engine equalisation. Renault need to get their shit together, fast.

Leonsito

I love F1, but this has to be the worst season opener I can remember, not because of Mercedes domination, because I love when a team works hard and gets his rewards, but due to the current global state:

-Small teams dissapearing
-Half of the teams with economic problems
-Except Mercedes or Ferrari everyone seems worse than last year
-Lots of european GPs with money problems too
-Engines seem more fragile than last year (I think the 4 engine rule will be dismissed in a few races)
-Pit-stop errors everywhere
-Tech regulations that make no sense year after year
-Budget limitations sometimes work in opossite ways, and kill small and private teams
-Coverage, website and F1 apps are absolute mediocre for a sport that should always be in the pinnacle of technologie and data mining for the fans...

DBT85

I never said it was something exclusive to Mercedes. But Mercedes last year would strip Mclaren of their PUs at the GP venue, and Felipe Massa suspects thinks Williams is not getting equal engines. And I mentioned Mercedes by name because I remember the video with Williams and either Rob Smedley or Pat Simmonds. Can't find the link, so I really can't back it up.

If Williams were not getting equal hardware then Mercedes would be breaking the rules. They cannot supply different hardware to any car, all must be identical. There is more to the cars than the PU and WIlliams are still making their own gearboxes too don't forget while Mercedes have a cartridge system for theirs for better packaging.

Mercedes taking the McLaren PUs was understandable, they didn't want them poking around when they knew Honda were coming next year.

I love F1, but this has to be the worst season opener I can remember, not because of Mercedes domination, because I love when a team works hard and gets his rewards, but due to the current global state:

-Small teams dissapearing
-Half of the teams with economic problems
-Except Mercedes or Ferrari everyone seems worse than last year
-Lots of european GPs with money problems too
-Engines seem more fragile than last year (I think the 4 engine rule will be dismissed in a few races)
-Pit-stop errors everywhere
-Tech regulations that make no sense year after year
-Budget limitations sometimes work in opossite ways, and kill small and private teams
-Coverage, website and F1 apps are absolute mediocre for a sport that should always be in the pinnacle of technologie and data mining for the fans...

Small teams have always come and gone, but it really does seem like there's no way to enter this sport in a meaningful way anymore, unless you're a constructor or an energy drink company. I do disagree about the second point, though. Not only have Mercedes and Ferrari made steps forward, but also Sauber and Lotus. Williams is still competitive as well. It's really only the Renault teams that seem to suffer. And Honda, of course. With how the season has started, I also think we're going back to last years limitations regarding the engine use. Even in testing it looked like Mercedes were the only gone going to flat out reliability (and they had the least wear last year, so it could be scary). The pit stop errors are likely not related to the current state of F1 :)lol). Absolutely agree with the rest, though.

andshrew

There wasn't much tyre talk today. Can't help but feel that if they'd needed 2 or 3 stops it would have led to some more interesting racing. Unsurprising that on a track where it's difficult to pass with tyres that can easily last half the race it was always going to be pretty dull.

Leonsito

Small teams have always come and gone, but it really does seem like there's no way to enter this sport in a meaningful way anymore, unless you're a constructor or an energy drink company. I do disagree about the second point, though. Not only have Mercedes and Ferrari made steps forward, but also Sauber and Lotus. Williams is still competitive as well. It's really only the Renault teams that seem to suffer. And Honda, of course. With how the season has started, I also think we're going back to last years limitations regarding the engine use. Even in testing it looked like Mercedes were the only gone going to flat out reliability (and they had the least wear last year, so it could be scary). The pit stop errors are likely not related to the current state of F1 :)lol). Absolutely agree with the rest, though.

Well, you are right with the pit stops, but it was a rant about everthing that went wrong today.

F1 needs young blood and new ideas, we need more testing, we need cheaper fees, more equilibrate prices, we need more teams and cars in the grid, and in the last ten years everything looks made to prevent that :(

Regarding teams, I was hoping to see Williams closer to Mercedes, and the Renault debacle is strange, it's like they haven't learned anything from last year, when Honda gets their shit together and can use 100% of their engine I can see them fighting for podiums, they should look into providing some team with their engines, Manor should have been a good client.

yami4ct

Hey, I got 4th in our Gaf Predictions League. Given how gloriously messed up the race was, I'm very happy with that.

As for the race itself, it was an entertaining mess. I give it a bit of a pass for being the first race, but it's clear no one besides the Mercs were really ready. It's going to be Mercs year again. I've been prepared for that since the end of last season. What's got me excited is that the middle pack seems like they'll be really competitive when they get their shit together. Williams, Ferrari and maybe even McLaren and Red Bull once they're up to their potential will all have some really great podium fights this year. Nasr has proven he can drive that Sauber like it's nobody's business and the Toro Roso drivers both had great rookie debuts. If Lotus can make sure their car works, those 3 should have some really great fights as well. This is yet to mention that the Nico/Hamilton fight will likely be closer than ever.

So, yeah the constructor's championship is going to be garbage, and the title fight will be 2014 Round 2, but all and all I'm still really pumped to see it. Hopefully next season the Mercs can finally be caught, but I think I'll enjoy this year despite that.

TCRS

Banned
just watched the highlights on BBC iplayer, so it wasn't too boring. that mercedes dominance though... very happy to see a Ferrari up there :)

McLaren wasn't even that pathetic, Button was able to put up a fight against Perez. Impressed by Sauber given the pre-season clusterfuck.

RoKKeR

just watched the highlights on BBC iplayer, so it wasn't too boring. that mercedes dominance though... very happy to see a Ferrari up there :)

McLaren wasn't even that pathetic, Button was able to put up a fight against Perez. Impressed by Sauber given the pre-season clusterfuck.

He was? He finished a lap down to Perez I thought.

TCRS

Banned
He was? He finished a lap down to Perez I thought.

well yeah but during the race he did have a battle against perez and was able to keep him behind. for a while anyway. overall it's still absolutely pathetic of course.

to think that people actually said they'll challenge Mercedes haha

me included :/

Spades

They should just let her drive, it's not going to harm them.

If anything, coming out and categorically stating that Wolff is not in line to replace Bottas if needed has harmed the team image. To me, it's a clear sign that Williams see her as nothing more than good PR. Why else would you not even consider promoting her to a race seat when she's done the most miles in the car compared to anyone outside the race drivers?

Which is a real shame.

sam777

F1 has become so boring glad I didn't get up early to watch this. Hopefully the unpredictable weather of Malaysia can change things up a bit in two weeks time.

F1 has become so boring glad I didn't get up early to watch this. Hopefully the unpredictable weather of Malaysia can change things up a bit in two weeks time.

yeh i'll never wake up at odd hours of the night to watch these races anymore.

when they're in europe, fine, the races start at 8am here so i can watch them. but unless they turn things up, i won't be tuning into the asian/aus races.

I'd love to hear a Kimi interview and want him to go off on this team. Holy crap the incompetency is mind blowing.

Hobbs and Matchet were speculating the contact in lap 1 could have led to the tire issues. His team tried to wave him, but he was given the go. Kimi shouldn't get too mad because Ferrari looks much better than they did last season and it's just been one race.

Shaneus

Just reading through the thread, I don't think this is right as Rosberg should have led a lap due to Hamilton pitting before him.
I thought it was pole, fastest lap and victory? I'm probably wrong, but that's what I thought it was :/

+1.

Rosberg's looked rough all weekend, not his usual tidy self.
0.jpg
There are even more similarities I'm realising: Webber was at RBR until golden boy Vettel appeared and together they took the team to the Constructors' with Vettel taking out the WDC (barely). Webber defeated psychologically, Vettel goes on to win three more WDC. Identical to Mercedes: Rosberg there until Hamilton joins and Mercedes starts doing well, they go toe-to-toe with Hamilton edging Rosberg out in the last race.

I honestly reckon we'll see a 2011-style domination from Hamilton (and Mercedes) this year. Next year, rest of the teams will have caught up a little more, leading us to have a 2012-esque close(r) (relatively speaking) season before Mercedes pull away again in 2017.

Not wise. Better to convince another established supplier into the game and do an exclusive deal.

Red Bull BMW, Red Bull Audi or Red Bull Porsche seems like a better move if you ask me.
Given Webber's strong association (still) with Red Bull and Porsche, I think it'd be a very wise move for Porsche to do something. I know they're invested in LMP1 now, but with the similarity (from what I can tell) of LMP1 engines to F1 engines, maybe it wouldn't be that big a stretch.

Not wise. Better to convince another established supplier into the game and do an exclusive deal.

Red Bull BMW, Red Bull Audi or Red Bull Porsche seems like a better move if you ask me.

Audi is a no go unless Bernie goes as Audi is part of the VAG group who have explicitly said that for as long as Bernie is involved with F1 they won't be anywhere near it.

Porsche are invested in other motor sports, would be cool to see them but I don't believe they would join as a works team. (I'd have liked a Lotus works team but whatever) would be interesting but they'd be more of a partner team if it were to happen imho.

As for BMW? Well, in the consumer market they are rivals with Mercedes and Audi. They make rear wheel drive cars. I could see it happening. They may look at the situation that if Bernie was to leave and VAG got involved, they'd be out in the cold so to speak. They may want to get involved before VAG (If it were to happen) to get a head start. Plus they've been in F1 before, where they were relatively successful so it's a possibility. The only sticky point would be building cars relevant to road cars, they didn't like the regulations (or Bernie) so yeah...

RoKKeR

Cooper on the RBR business: http://adamcooperf1.com/2015/03/15/horner-denies-that-mateschitz-wants-to-sell-rbr-as-audi-waits-in-wings/

He also seems pretty confident in Haas debuting well next year, as do I especially after seeing that Ferrari has seemingly turned things around.

Talked to @HaasF1Team team boss Guenther Steiner for an hour in Melbourne. I've been a sceptic but their game plan is very impressive

Three-way USA/UK/Italy facility split at @HaasF1Team will be a challenge, but @ScuderiaFerrari's support makes it a serious project

Under latest rules all Haas has to do is create its own chassis & bodywork. Everything else will be pure Ferrari, same as works cars

DBT85

Cooper on the RBR business: http://adamcooperf1.com/2015/03/15/horner-denies-that-mateschitz-wants-to-sell-rbr-as-audi-waits-in-wings/

He also seems pretty confident in Haas debuting well next year, as do I especially after seeing that Ferrari has seemingly turned things around.

As I said before and Cooper says there. Red Bull are stuck with Renault. Nobody else will sell engines to a top team and the VAG group won't touch the sport till the gremlin us dead. I wouldn't expect BMW back until that happens either.

Them crying all the time only harms the relationship more.

Yeah, I looked it up shortly after, didn't realise it was for leading all the laps. So he only could've gotten it if he had a big enough lead over Rosberg that regardless of who pits first, he'd still be in first place. Gotcha.

When he's pretty much won the championship after the 10th race he'll probably take to letting Rosberg pit first. ;)

Top Bottom