• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

It depends more on Ferrari's new technical staff than on Vettel. If they can finally manage to develop a car in one direction instead of stagnating or going backwards, then Vettel will surely be a WDC candidate. He is a very consistent driver who rarely makes big mistakes, which is the most important driver skill if you want to win a championship. And he also seems to get along better with his crew, which, being part of the nebulous human factor, isn't completely irrelevant.

Next year is Kimi's year

We all know that!

Fox Mulder

And most of them couldn't be bothered to take their glasses off, same as the Bianchi tribute where most of them were still wearing the shades and caps, it's just a token gesture from them.

Sorry to bring this back, but I just saw the tweet and thought it was kind of hilarious.

@LewisHamilton

Guys, I honestly hadn't realise it was a minute of silence. I was so focused & listening to my music, I thought we were taking a photo."

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Mercedes has every reason to be stingy with engines, but do they really want that many ponies on the grid. They'll lose Lotus to Renault as RB and TR go to Ferrari. Plus there's the Ferrari supported Haas team next year.

Yeah, but I do not see which team except RBR could replace Lotus. Manor? No way. Mclaren? LOL

Things will get spicy between Mclaren and Honda. They are very unsatisfied with engine that Honda provided plus with Arai bumbling nonsense, so apparently they asked to replace him.

Someone want to explain to me how Bernie can "force" Mercedes or Ferrari to provide engines for someone like Red Bull?

The amount of control he has over this sport is staggering.

Fox Mulder

Someone want to explain to me how Bernie can "force" Mercedes or Ferrari to provide engines for someone like Red Bull?

It won't be good for the business if redbull leaves.

I don't think an engine manufacturer should be able to provide engines for a Williams or Lotus, but say fuck off Redbull, but that's me.

frontieruk

It won't be good for the business if redbull leaves.

I don't think an engine manufacturer should be able to provide engines for a Williams or Lotus, but say fuck off Redbull, but that's me.

A manufacturer can deal with any one they want, the wording of the article suggests that Mercedes would of been more open to it if Redbull hadn't continually thrown their toys out the pram while pushing Renault under the bus, I bet if Ron swallowed his pride crashed the deal with Honda and went and begged to use Mercs engines the story would be different as they've not whined like impetulent children with the attitude I'm losing so I'm taking the ball and going.

Redbull bitched about Renault when they were winning championships and they've turned it up now they are mid pack, why would any manufacturer want to supply them?

Fox Mulder

A manufacturer can deal with any one they want, the wording of the article suggests that Mercedes would of been more open to it if Redbull hadn't continually thrown their toys out the pram while pushing Renault under the bus, I bet if Ron swallowed his pride crashed the deal with Honda and went and begged to use Mercs engines the story would be different as they've not whined like impetulent children with the attitude I'm losing so I'm taking the ball and going.

Redbull bitched about Renault when they were winning championships and they've turned it up now they are mid pack, why would any manufacturer want to supply them?

I dont see it as acting like children. Redbull is consistently regarded as having one of the best cars on the grid, why shouldn't they expect the same from their engine provider?

Renault is shit and is worse than last year. Ricciardo just lost a brand new engine. They weren't even that great when Redbull was winning championships.

andshrew

I dont see it as acting like children. Redbull is consistently regarded as having one of the best cars on the grid, why shouldn't they expect the same from their engine provider?

Renault is shit and is worse than last year. Ricciardo just lost a brand new engine. They weren't even that great when Redbull was winning championships.

I think the point is they always quick to throw their partners under the bus if things don't go their way. If they had merc engines but get beat by the works team you can bet the interviews would be along the lines of we have a great chassis but that's the best we can do with a customer engine.

Bernie gives his support for something a manufacturer wants in exchange for supplying Red Bull.

It's not exactly "forcing" them, but it can be a negotiation tactic, considering his votes in the F1 commission.

Fucking lol. Should've finished with Rosberg's engine failure and this gif.
q7NQZlw.gif

Aiii

So not worth it
Red Bull teams set to move to Ferrari power for 2016
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2015/09/red-bull-teams-set-to-move-to-ferrari-power-for-2016/

Going to back Red Bull on beating Ferrari next season. I don't think Ferrari can beat Red Bull on chassis performance unless Ferrari gives them b engine or something.

Great news for the sport.

Great news for Ferrari too, the extra data they can collect by running four more cars, two of which that can fight for race wins will be a great asset to them.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
So, Ferrari will have works team, RBR, STR and Haas. Manor and Sauber are using their engines this year, but they are undecided. Manor is linked to Honda.

I can see Mercedes sending a offer to Sauber, if Lotus goes away. It is hard to supply more than four teams for any engine provider.

Fox Mulder

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2015/09/red-bull-teams-set-to-move-to-ferrari-power-for-2016/

Going to back Red Bull on beating Ferrari next season. I don't think Ferrari can beat Red Bull on chassis performance unless Ferrari gives them b engine or something.

It's nice to see Ferrari have balls and welcome the threat Redbull will offer even with b engines.

They'll get lots of data from all these teams they supply now. Plus some Bernie money too I assume.

Zeknurn

So, Ferrari will have works team, RBR, STR and Haas. Manor and Sauber are using their engines this year, but they are undecided. Manor is linked to Honda.

I can see Mercedes sending a offer to Sauber, if Lotus goes away. It is hard to supply more than four teams for any engine provider.

Manor is trying to secure a Mercedes engine.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I wish VW would join Formula 1 with one if its brands (VW, Audi, Porsche, ...), but I don't see that happening, especially not after the Honda disaster. A return of Ford would also be cool. F1 could need 1-2 more engine developers.

Business

Jesus Christ. Even accounting for the fact that Lewis had better drive coming out of that corner, seeing the Mercedes engine like that is insane.

Vettel should have had the better drive having attacked the outside on T1. Live I was expecting Vettel to have a go at the second variante. Seeing it onboard now the power difference in acceleration is indeed insane.

dalin80

Banned
I wish VW would join Formula 1 with one if its brands (VW, Audi, Porsche, ...), but I don't see that happening, especially not after the Honda disaster. A return of Ford would also be cool. F1 could need 1-2 more engine developers.

The VAG group are currently looking at making massive savings and injecting more cash into Bernie and friends pockets isn't a great way to achieve that. Plus the independent manufacturers within VAG are having a great time dominating sports car and prototype racing which is seeing a resurgence and positive reception. Those areas of racing are also very advertise-able thanks to the high level of road relevant technology.

What would they get by joining F1? Insane bills for making a team, developing or buying an engine which has no relevancy outside of F1. Putting there name to a shrinking and almost toxic for PR sport and spending the next 5 years to 10 years cradling Bernies ballsack to keep the poison dwarf happy in the hopes he doesn't screw them over for more money.

They would get the pleasure of course of losing hundreds of millions to race in countries where the locals either don't give a toss or can't afford to buy their brands, so that's a nice bonus.

Shaneus

Holy shit.

Could it be a bad thing if there are only two manufacturers in the sport? I don't see how it will. I can't recall if ever there were only two manufacturers, but during most periods it felt as if there were really only two manufacturers that were consistently good anyway. (Fake edit: I wrote this whole thing completely forgetting about Honda. Whoops.)

I have no problems with the engine being somewhat taken out of the equation in F1, especially with such disparity between Renault (and Honda) and the others. Let teams rely on good aero, tech and drivers.

Fucking lol. Should've finished with Rosberg's engine failure and this gif.
q7NQZlw.gif
Holy shit.

dubc35

^ don't worry I had basically the same post written up and remembered Honda while I was typing. They're so worthless they're irrelevant.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I have no problems with the engine being somewhat taken out of the equation in F1, especially with such disparity between Renault (and Honda) and the others. Let teams rely on good aero, tech and drivers.

Don't know how engine manufactures would think about this. After all, the engine is the main symbol of their technological competence. If anything, they would rather have aerodynamics take a backseat.

jey_16

Banned
fuck Red Bull, they had the best engine on the grid for 4 years. it was perfect for the exhaust blown diffusers and no other engine manufacturer was allowed to make changes back then to match them

now suddenly because they dont have a good engine, they threaten to pull out?

just deal with it

Shaneus

Don't know how engine manufactures would think about this. After all, the engine is the main symbol of their technological competence. If anything, they would rather have aerodynamics take a backseat.
For sure, but as long as engine manufacturers are within spec then the technological competence would be accounted by reliability and not necessarily performance. Mind you, neither of which were able to be demonstrated by Renault over the last 18 or so months.

Aero making a comeback would help the cars look more impressive in qualifying when theyre on the ragged edge but mean less wheel to wheel action.
Not sure how I feel about that.
I loved how the cars flew around the track like rocket ships in the v8 era seemingly defying the limits of grip and cornering ability.

yami4ct

Renault works team is the best decision they could've made as long as they're staying in the sport. If they want to continue to make engines, they should be 100% invested in their success or not at all. That livery is awesome as well. Hope that's what we see on the grid. Could always use more color on the track.

Red Bull going with Ferrari probably isn't going to be the most exciting short term move, but should be really great long term. Ferrari having two extra teams next year will give them quite a bit more engine data and should help them push it even more. Hopefully it'll help them close the power gap with the Mercs. It'll also be really interesting to see the Red Bull with some actual power behind it again. Should be a force to be reckoned with.

This season hasn't been the most exciting, but next season is shaping up really well. Cannot wait. Hopefully we'll get a couple more great races to send this season off well and go full force into all the positivity that should come with these moves.

Shaneus

Red Bull going with Ferrari probably isn't going to be the most exciting short term move, but should be really great long term. Ferrari having two extra teams next year will give them quite a bit more engine data and should help them push it even more. Hopefully it'll help them close the power gap with the Mercs. It'll also be really interesting to see the Red Bull with some actual power behind it again. Should be a force to be reckoned with.
Absolutely. I'm keen to see what RBR are like with a non-shit PU *and* without Newey behind them. This year really hasn't been a good indicator of the latter due to the shithouse Renault.

Mastah

Lewis just disappear at acceleration into Curva Grande

Which is funny, because when Sky made a comparison between Hamilton and Raikkonen in qualifying, Ferrari had exactly the same acceleration as Mercedes, only losing to them after Curva Grande into second chicane.

dalin80

Banned
Which is funny, because when Sky made a comparison between Hamilton and Raikkonen in qualifying, Ferrari had exactly the same acceleration as Mercedes, only losing to them after Curva Grande into second chicane.

I don't think Vettel got the traction out of the corner quite nailed, he seemed to lose more distance there then anyone else at any other time.

DrM

Redmond's Baby

Ferrari used very aggressive engine setting for qualification. This is what Mercedes is doing all year long, but looks like they did not used it in Q3 due to engine concerns. But still, new Mercedes PU is big improvement (they ran on full power during FPs), Lewis had monstrous race pace with very light tyre degradation. He was able to match times that Nico managed on new mediums with 22+ laps old soft set...

Shame for Nico, that they overtuned the engine and it went kaboom, because he would nail Vettel... with engine that survived each GP since Canada. He was just few tenths slower than Lewis in the last laps, so no wonder it ended up in smoke

Why are Williams pit stops so slow? There are rumors that they have technical issues with wheel nuts-they get harder to unscrew for unknown reason

John_B

Good news all around. Surely Grosjean will stay with Renault then. Will Maldonado be out? That seat could be used for more than laughs.

Aiii

So not worth it
So basically when Kimi's car's not failing he's a mediocre driver that crashes a lot and can't handle the new starting procedure?

frontieruk

For sure, but as long as engine manufacturers are within spec then the technological competence would be accounted by reliability and not necessarily performance. Mind you, neither of which were able to be demonstrated by Renault over the last 18 or so months.

Where did 18months come from? RIC finished 3rd in the championship, and RB came 2nd in the constructors championship ahead of the surprise package that was Williams and last years Ferrari package.

If you consider RB as getting Renaults A class engine they only had 5 retirements which is the same as the works Mercedes and two more than Ferrari.

It gets a lot worse looking at B class for Renaulr though, but then again I didn't actually look up why they retired so nay nor of been engine related.

sam777

What's the difference between Hamilton now and how Vettel was dominating in the Red Bull a few years ago?

As I see a lot of reports about how Hamilton is driving Senna-esque like and what not but when Vettel dominated a few years ago all we heard was that he has the best car so obviously he should be winning all the time.

Also I am not a Vettel fan but more of an observation as I don't see the difference.

Zaru

What's the difference between Hamilton now and how Vettel was dominating in the Red Bull a few years ago?

As I see a lot of reports about how Hamilton is driving Senna-esque like and what not but when Vettel dominated a few years ago all we heard was that he has the best car so obviously he should be winning all the time.

Also I am not a Vettel fan but more of an observation as I don't see the difference.

Confirmation bias, national allegiances, hatred for successful germans

Same old story really

Top Bottom