• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Mastah

Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1 8s8 seconds ago

Tyres pressures were above min pressure when fitted to car. Blankets not plugged in & below normal temp. Team followed safety procedures

olore

abr.gif

Q F T - excellent verdict

After meeting with Pirelli and Mercedes representatives after the race, the FIA stewards decided Mercedes had not done anything wrong.

"Stewards determine that the pressures were at the minimum start pressure recommended by Pirelli when they were fitted to the car," said the stewards.

"Tyre warming blankets had been disconnected from their power source as is normal procedures and the tyres were significantly below the maximum permitted tyre blanket temperature at the time of the FIA measurement on the grid and significantly different temperatures from other cars measured on the grid.

"The stewards decide to take no further action.

"Neverthess the stewards recommend the tyre manufacturer and the FIA hold further meetings to provide clear guidance to the teams on measurements."
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hamilton-keeps-italian-grand-prix-victory

BlazeGaj

Neo Member
I was having Mclaren flashback(fuel Spain/Canada and spa) for Lewis. Thankfully it's not McLaren lol.

Turned out to be nothing. Empty drama. Could not fully enjoy the victory well 53 points is good.

dalin80

Banned
So the tyres were cold because the warmers weren't plugged in, they must have been confident that the warm up lap would have done enough then.

TCRS

Banned
man Alonsos situation is such a sad waste of talent. :( I will never forget his amazing years at Ferrari.

@mercedes: as expected. I'm not even mad.

Dilly

Banned
This sounds more like FIA making new rules without thinking them through properly than Mercedes cheating.

Hahaha

Go faster Lewis, don't ask questions even though we've not done anything wrong.

Riiiiiight

If they intended to do this, they wouldn't give the push call in the last 5 laps.

man Alonsos situation is such a sad waste of talent. :( I will never forget his amazing years at Ferrari.

@mercedes: as expected. I'm not even mad.

But is his situation now really that much worse than still being at Ferrari?

Sure, he would've gotten a win or two and would consistently land on the podium.
But like he said recently, Ferrari has not really improved. They're in no position to win any kind of championship. At least he took a risk with McLaren. It might not have paid off, but stagnating and being on the same spot over and over again was probably too frustrating for him.

This sounds like a pretty objective explanation of their decision. I do hope this means they actually start enforcing pressures and cambers in the future (and this should mean doing more than checking the cars at the front).

Been awhile since we had a good 'ol fashioned "omg, Ferrari are about to be get special treatment from the stewards" incident! Decision wasn't released until the parking lot cleared out I'm going to assume. At minimum, until they could secure a helicopter for a quick escape. In fairness, the crowd seemed fine with this result and doubt will have a problem with an actual investigation being carried out.

Orbis

The whole thing raises more questions for the FIA/Pirelli.
- Why are only the first 4 cars tested?
- Why was tyre temperature not considered before summoning Mercedes?
- Mercedes were deemed to have followed correct procedure, supervised by Pirelli. Why are the team therefore the first to have the blame assigned?

The stewards' conclusion at the end of the statement is basically "the FIA and Pirelli have a poor procedure in place". Embarrassing.

Jibbed

- Mercedes were deemed to have followed correct procedure, supervised by Pirelli. Why are the team therefore the first to have the blame assigned?

The stewards' conclusion at the end of the statement is basically "the FIA and Pirelli have a poor procedure in place". Embarrassing.

- 4 cars selected randomly at each race, just happened to be the first 4 here.
- Stupid oversight in relatively new (and recently amended) directives
- They weren't, the media did that. Innocent until proven guilty and all that.

Mercedes fucked Rosberg over not putting in a new PU and eating the grid penalty...he probably would have came in 3 or 4th.

They can only bring 2 PUs per race; in this case, the new Monza-spec one and the Spa one as backup. Not sure they could have flown another PU in time...

Beside, they may have only had 2 new spec PUs available, one for HAM and one for ROS.

duckroll

Good decision I think, based on the info released. If the FIA can't get their rules and tests in proper order, they should not be penalizing any teams for it. Make things clear and apply equal standards to everyone. Don't half-ass stuff.

Mercedes fucked Rosberg over not putting in a new PU and eating the grid penalty...he probably would have came in 3 or 4th.
That was not the situation. They only had 2 new spec engines. Nico's had an issue in FP3. There was no other new spec engine to put in so they had to put in what was already ready to go as the second unit they brought. Frankly it's a miracle that they even managed to change that so quickly.

Rosberg completely deserved 3rd and what happened to him is no fault of his own. Impossible to argue against that.
I'd also like to know what took so long to inform the team. If this is an alleged safety issue why were the cars not black flagged immediately and forced to pit? Is the process so inefficient it actually takes an hour to shuffle the results around? If so, why even both with these rules if they're barely enforceable and cannot be done in a timely manner? They're not actually promoting safety when done this way. Sort of like if you checked someone through a metal detector on their way out of a stadium instead of in.

The concern might be that they don't immediately inform because they might be wrong about it (like they were in this case!), which just means the policy is even more stupid. Even if there is an apparent safety infraction they can only talk about it after the race and well after the time of concern had passed? Why bother?

Orbis

- 4 cars selected randomly at each race, just happened to be the first 4 here.
- They weren't, the media did that. Innocent until proven guilty and all that.
- If so then fair enough, it can happen by chance naturally.
- Point taken, I suppose we have been conditioned that being summoned is more like being arrested than just being asked to explain yourself.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
And that Ferrari has a more powerful Q3 engine mode than before; will make Saturdays much more interesting, especially if the Mercedes are not in good form.
I doubt that Ferrari will be so close anywhere for the remainder of the season --> shifting focus on 2016 when they will have a better car etc etc.

FuturusX

Mercedes tyre inflater caught in the act:

nc3a9vtelen.jpg

Mercedes caught cheating again, tsk! They definitely need disqualifying, how many times is that now? The secret test, swapped rear tyres, breaching tyre pressures.

Absolutely disgusting, not even Red Bull cheated this bad.

The hate is real.
Mercedes slip on their headphones...

"I'll be up up and away
up up and away
cuz they gon' judge me anyway so whatever
I'll be up up and away
up up and away
cuz in the end they'll judge me anyway so whatever"

Has Ron even went to Monza?

And I think that Mercedes will appeal to higher instances if they are punished today.

Ron Dennis is still living in the 80's he's completely isolated from reality, and it shows in the team FOR SURE.

The whole tyre fiasco really just left a bad taste for the rule makers now (FIA) and Pirelli, that just when they decide to inforce changes based on safety through procedures, they just find out that those procedures are not entirely clear. Speaks of implementing things without actually thinking them through and more of a "kneejerk" reaction to the ferrari spa tyre blowout.

dalin80

Banned
And that Ferrari has a more powerful Q3 engine mode than before; will make Saturdays much more interesting, especially if the Mercedes are not in good form.

There was a mighty big question mark over the new engine spec for Merc during qualifying, I honestly believe that they didn't go full bore due to that which in turn made the gap seem a bit smaller then it should.

malyce

Monza was a one off and the most power dependent track on the grid. Merc's gonna walk the remaining 7 Saturdays.

Funny how last season everyone was killing for Jenson to stay over K-Mag.. be careful what you wish for i guess.. The highlight of Jenson's career is Canada 2011.

Oh, and someone made an avatar bet with me earlier in the season that Max wouldn't finish the season ahead of Sainz.. lolz. Can't wait till the kid gets in a race winning car. It's gonna be glorious.

#TheStappening

Mastah

So Ferrari are blaming Kimi for his awful start without proper analysis of what happened:

Although Ferrari was still awaiting the results of an official investigation into what happened, Arrivabene reckons that the problem may have been caused by Raikkonen not handling his clutch paddles properly.

"If it is a technical issue we will let you know," he explained. "Looking at the moment on the images on television, it looks like he was struggling a bit, or messing a bit, with a finger to follow the procedure. But, doing an accusation before having the data is wrong.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrari-suspects-raikkonen-to-blame-for-poor-start

Dat new friendly family Ferrari atmosphere.

kharma45

Monza was a one off and the most power dependent track on the grid. Merc's gonna walk the remaining 7 Saturdays.

Funny how last season everyone was killing for Jenson to stay over K-Mag.. be careful what you wish for i guess.. The highlight of Jenson's career is Canada 2011.

Oh, and someone made an avatar bet with me earlier in the season that Max wouldn't finish the season ahead of Sainz.. lolz. Can't wait till the kid gets in a race winning car. It's gonna be glorious.

#TheStappening

I don't think button is doing too badly taking alonso as a benchmark for him.

I doubt that Ferrari will be so close anywhere for the remainder of the season --> shifting focus on 2016 when they will have a better car etc etc.

Read on Autosport that Ferrari will be dual-tracking. They clearly have the budget to do so. Regarding Mercedes, they are definitely shifting to 2016 now, on both the engine and the chassis.

There was a mighty big question mark over the new engine spec for Merc during qualifying, I honestly believe that they didn't go full bore due to that which in turn made the gap seem a bit smaller then it should.

Maybe - I guess we will see in 2 weeks. It was very, very tight last year at Singapore.

Highlight of Jenson's career, for me, is Japan 2011. Canada 2011, I see more as a fluke win.

If anything, Mercedes should have destroyed Ferrari this weekend. They have done so today in the race (exceptional pace, fuel mileage and tyre management), but did not in qualifying. I think that it's a mix of conservative settings for Mercedes in Q3 and aggressive settings for Ferrari.

Button is doing a very good job all things considered. Would make sense to keep him for 2016 and place Vandoorne as a test driver or place him at Manor or Haas.

malyce

I don't think button is doing too badly taking alonso as a benchmark for him.

I wouldn't even use Alonso this season as benchmark for Button. The car performance varies wildly between the two most weekends. Alonso even said so today.

Read on Autosport that Ferrari will be dual-tracking. They clearly have the budget to do so. Regarding Mercedes, they are definitely shifting to 2016 now, on both the engine and the chassis.

Maybe - I guess we will see in 2 weeks. It was very, very tight last year at Singapore.

Highlight of Jenson's career, for me, is Japan 2011. Canada 2011, I see more as a fluke win.

If anything, Mercedes should have destroyed Ferrari this weekend. They have done so today in the race (exceptional pace, fuel mileage and tyre management), but did not in qualifying. I think that it's a mix of conservative settings for Mercedes in Q3 and aggressive settings for Ferrari.

Button is doing a very good job all things considered. Would make sense to keep him for 2016 and place Vandoorne as a test driver or place him at Manor or Haas.

Button should retire, as should Kimi and Massa. Their careers have nothing more left to give. Let the young bloods in.

I wouldn't even use Alonso this season as benchmark for Button. The car performance varies wildly between the two most weekends. Alonso even said so today.

Button should retire, as should Kimi and Massa. Their careers have nothing more left to give. Let the young bloods in.

Then Alonso should retire too... because Button is pretty much matching him.

And same for Kimi...

Orbis

Read on Autosport that Ferrari will be dual-tracking. They clearly have the budget to do so.
I hope so, would be a massive confidence boost if they can genuinely trump Mercedes a couple of times near the end of this season. There's nothing inherently wrong with it either assuming your next car is an evolution of the previous, and as you say, have the budget.

Top Bottom