• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

McNum

No difference, really. The problem is not so much Hamilton or Vettel driving extremely well, because credit where it's due, you do not dominate in Formula One easily, it's that there's only one of them. Seeing someone just drive away from the pack and drive 90% for the rest of the race, no matter who it is, is just boring. And when it happens several races in the season, it makes the season boring.

So I'll object to any one driver having a Senna-esque performance, because to do that, you need a rival. You need to be forced to go 100% every race, all the time, because you have your Prost hunting you, or you are hunting him. So, I don't want Hamilton OR Vettel to dominate. Or anyone for that matter. I want Hamilton AND Vettel in two different, but competitive cars. Or someone else, but only if there's at least two.

By ending the contract with Renault, Red Bull will lose the infinity and Total sponsorship, which brought them around 88 million.

TK9zjDF.gif

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What's the difference between Hamilton now and how Vettel was dominating in the Red Bull a few years ago?

As I see a lot of reports about how Hamilton is driving Senna-esque like and what not but when Vettel dominated a few years ago all we heard was that he has the best car so obviously he should be winning all the time.

Also I am not a Vettel fan but more of an observation as I don't see the difference.

Vettel DOMINATED. The car was massively better than the others on the grid and bulletproof.

This season and last the Mercedes has been strong, but reliability last year meant Hamilton didn't walk away with it like Vettel did. Even this year the gap was only around 25pts which isn't that comfortable 11 races in. Yes Rosberg just had a DNF but Hamilton could easily do the same.

The Hamilton+Mercedes 'domination' isn't in the same league as either Vettel+Redbull or Schumacher+Ferrari.

The Hamilton+Mercedes 'domination' isn't in the same league as either Vettel+Redbull or Schumacher+Ferrari.

On paper the Mercedes domination is easily in the same league. The only difference is that Rosberg isn't as shit as Barrichello or Webber.

Car wise, it's in the top three most dominant cars ever produced.

Massa

On paper the Mercedes domination is easily in the same league. The only difference is that Rosberg isn't as shit as Barrichello or Webber.

Car wise, it's in the top three most dominant cars ever produced.

Barrichello and Webber weren't shit, they were relegated to number 2 drivers by their teams, which is something Mercedes doesn't do.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
By ending the contract with Renault, Red Bull will lose the infinity and Total sponsorship, which brought them around 88 million.

TK9zjDF.gif

No fear, Didi will open his wallet a bit more, what is 90 millions for RBR :D

Also, IF Manor uses Mercedes PU next season, I can see Pascal Wehrlein as one of the drivers in the team.

The Formula 1 Twitter account posted this picture.

AdmvU38.jpg

It's a great reminder why drivers like the track as well.

No fear, Didi will open his wallet a bit more, what is 90 millions for RBR :D

Also, IF Manor uses Mercedes PU next season, I can see Pascal Wehrlein as one of the drivers in the team.

I really hope Manor can achieve more with a Mercedes PU. But I'm sure a 2015 Ferrari engine would already be helpful.

TK9zjDF.gif

That's a fair chunk of change. Sure they'll manage though.

On a side note the race at the weekend was shit. Boring as fuck. The most exciting part was Kimi stalling, Kimi making up for his fuck ups and Lelbergs Merc going boom.

Glad to see that Renault is having a proper works team next season, could do with some nice bright yellow on the grid. The cars are dull as fuck this year. No colour at all apart from Ferrari.

What's the difference between Hamilton now and how Vettel was dominating in the Red Bull a few years ago?

As I see a lot of reports about how Hamilton is driving Senna-esque like and what not but when Vettel dominated a few years ago all we heard was that he has the best car so obviously he should be winning all the time.

Also I am not a Vettel fan but more of an observation as I don't see the difference.
He's already proved himself winning in cars that weren't the best on the grid.
Even Alonso says that about him.

DD

But the McHonda pilots can't even finish a race or score points consistently. Felipe Nasr has more points than Alonso and Button

Dude, Nasr has more points than Maldonator and Sains, even with the third or second shitiest car on that grid, lol.

And kill their successful junior program in that process. Great idea. Meanwhile McLaren lets two world champions rot in shitty cars on the sidelines and does nothing with their junior drivers.

The Red Bull juniors can look forward to a future in Sports Cars with Newey's Red Bull Aston Martin.

The retarded token system is why there's two champion drivers currently rotting in a McLaren, the ERS of the Honda would have been fixed months ago without it.

And who cares about McLaren's junior drivers? They're clearly not worth investing the millions required to place them elsewhere or McLaren would have done so already.

Dude, Nasr has more points than Maldonator and Sains, even with the third or second shitiest car on that grid, lol.
We all know why Maldonado has less points. I would think Sainz would have more or at least equal of Nasir if his car didn't keep dying.

Shaneus

The retarded token system is why there's two champion drivers currently rotting in a McLaren, the ERS of the Honda would have been fixed months ago without it.
It makes you wonder why it wasn't waived for them when it was known how shit they would be. At least until they can come within a certain percentage of output/performance (and reliability, obv.).

Fox Mulder

Cost reduction by slowing in season development

Is there any proof that this bullshit has even cut costs really. I imagine Renault, Ferrari, and Honda have to be spending out the ass to catch the merc as best they can with so little opportunity to test and make significant changes. Renault is planning to buy a team again. What a great way to cut costs.

Razgreez

So basically when Kimi's car's not failing he's a mediocre driver that crashes a lot and can't handle the new starting procedure?

Given the 6th is at Cote D'Azur and the 4th at China is behind the two Mercs and his team-mate then that's a seemingly loaded criticism.

Kimi might be seemingly over the hill but let's not exaggerate now.

stryke

Did a quick little tally of the number of different winners since 2010

2010 - 5
2011 - 5
2012 - 8
2013 - 5 (although this year got pretty bad when Vettel won the last 9 races in a row)
2014 - 3
2015 - 3 (so far)

Did a quick little tally of the number of different winners since 2010

2010 - 5
2011 - 5
2012 - 8
2013 - 5 (although this year got pretty bad when Vettel won the last 9 races in a row)
2014 - 3
2015 - 3 (so far)

F1 threw away the perfect formula in 2008

Just check the statistics for that year. I remember running an analysis for the number of winners, number of winning teams, number of podium finishers (teams and drivers) and number of teams and drivers scoring points.

it was, statistically, one of the best F1 seasons in recent history

Just for fun. I ran it again

- Note that the teams were 11 until the 4th race then Super Aguri withdrew from the season.
- Drivers number was 22 then down to 20 from the 5th race onwards
- Total races in that season was 18

Code:
               Drivers    Teams
Poles           5          4
Wins            7          4
Points         18          9
Podiums        13          9

Now let's turn that into percentages

Code:
               Drivers    Teams
Poles          30%          40%
Wins           40%          40%
Points         90%          90%
Podiums        65%          90%

EDIT: I remember the 2012 season was kind of unpredictable but then Redbull dominated from half the season until the end of 2013. IIRC it was when they changed the tyre compound and it suited Redbull and screwed up everyone else

EDIT2: What's interesting is that in 2008 it wasn't a rule change or a tyre change that shook things up. The formula was pretty mature and it's just that smaller teams had the chance to catch up. If only the same formula ran for 2 or 3 more years I think we could've seen one of the smaller teams becoming a regular winner and challenge for the championship.

andshrew

I think the stats skew the reality of 2008. It was very much the McLaren and Ferrari show with wins for other teams only when they messed up. Eg Vettel won because McLaren got the wet qualifying completely wrong, Kubica won because Hamilton drove into Kimi in the pits, Alonso won because Renault cheated.

I think 2010 was the most genuinely competitive and exciting championship in recent years. 2012 did have a lot of winners and some people like that, but it was a complete lottery as to whether you got the tyres working which I don't think is what formula 1 should be about.

I think the stats skew the reality of 2008. It was very much the McLaren and Ferrari show with wins for other teams only when they messed up. Eg Vettel won because McLaren got the wet qualifying completely wrong, Kubica won because Hamilton drove into Kimi in the pits, Alonso won because Renault cheated.

I think 2010 was the most genuinely competitive and exciting championship in recent years. 2012 did have a lot of winners and some people like that, but it was a complete lottery as to whether you got the tyres working which I don't think is what formula 1 should be about.

I don't think they do to be honest.

I haven't checked or know how to, but try to find out Qualifying times in 2008, you'll see that the field was much closer than now. I will reiterate that in 2008 the formulae was few years old, and teams with much smaller budgets were able to mix it up in some occasions.

It's true that the title battle was between 2 teams only, but it was so exciting as no team clearly dominated, and we saw the championship getting decided literally in the last race and in 2008 the last corner. All of that shows that the sport was stable and BMW was actually working its way up until 2009 came and made them ditch the sport altogether

2010 was a fluke, we relatively had the same set of rules up until 2013 and we all know how that era panned out, by the end of it it was Redbull without competition, so if you get two teams battling it out neck to neck in 2008, I think it was an achievement that F1 decided to throw away for stupid reasons.

In my memory I think it's almost the only "era" that had two teams being so close to each other without any clear favorite

ramparter

Banned
F1 threw away the perfect formula in 2008

Just check the statistics for that year. I remember running an analysis for the number of winners, number of winning teams, number of podium finishers (teams and drivers) and number of teams and drivers scoring points.

it was, statistically, one of the best F1 seasons in recent history
Ironically in 2009 the teams were really close, I remember a qualifying that almost all drivers were less than 1 sec off pole. But I have to agree, the Formula1 in 2008 was great, miles betters compared to what we have today. It helped that we also had a very strong Honda and BMW. Also 2007 and 2008 were great title fights.

Zeknurn

DD

So, apparently Haas confirmed that one of their drivers will be one of Ferrari's reserve driver. So, Gutierres or Vergne
pls be Vergne.

It'll be Gutierrez, he payed top dollar through Carlos Slim's telmex (look at the telcel branding on the ferraris) to get into the ferrari test/reserve driver role, Vergne'll get shafted and stay on Formula e. Not sayin Gutierrez is a shit driver but hey, Money talks

John_B

Apple announced a new Apple TV yesterday. A dude from MLB was there to demonstrate their app. Full HD 60 fps feed, side by side picture from different games. Stats overlay and all sorts of awesome stuff and it looked like early days for that app even.

F1 could really be a better viewing experience from home. Easy way to switch between main feed, on-board feeds and detailed sector times or combine them in what way you would prefer on the screen. And 60 fps would be incredible.

I would happily pay a yearly subscription for this. Sucks it won't happen because a certain someone thinks that stuff like this and silly and the real way to watch F1 is from the deck of a yacht or the balcony of an apartment in Monaco.

Shaneus

I think it's more that there are broadcasters in each region that pay big money for exclusivity. Which is horseshit, because I'm sure there's a way they could just follow the WEC lead of a subscription-based deal. I know I'd probably pay $5-10 a race (the ones I'd be awake for, anyway) just to watch it at home. That's money that FoM currently isn't getting.

But yeah, 60fps F1 would be fucking insane.

Top Bottom