• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Good news everyone.

image.php

AMUS says Mercedes will help Renault get their PU sorted. What's all that about? Rebadged Merc engines?

Kill this token shit so Honda can splurge $500m on their MK5 2017 monster.
$500m won't do anything Honda is insisting on making the same errors every other manufacturer has made.

What did they do? Did they accidentally have any fun?
It seems that some Ferrari mechanics pushed FIA officials and photographers, according to Darren Heath. My kindergarten comment was directed to the written apology, just fine them. I guess there's basis for that based on regulations.

It had nothing to with the flag, typical Sky BS.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Mercedes identified malfunction

Wolff said Mercedes had identified the problem and he is confident Hamilton will not have to change the engine for next weekend's Japanese Grand Prix.

"We had a very minor bit - a metal clamp, that broke and had a massive effect," said Wolff.

"The clamp was on plenum, and was holding the plenum together and when it jumped off it caused a boost leak.

"It was a freak, yeah. We ran that design for a long time. It's a typical metal clamp and it just broke.

"Lewis's engine shouldn't have any problem."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120916

Kyougar

Vettel was just coming behind the corner. This would have been a major incident if the fan got 5 seconds earlier onto the street.

ElTorro

Vettel was just coming behind the corner. This would have been a major incident if the fan got 5 seconds earlier onto the street.

Absolutely insane. The fan would have obviously been dead, and Vettel might have gotten seriously injured too.

DD

Nasty crash by Pedro Piquet (son of triple champ Nelson) in a Porsche GT3 race in Brazil.
He gets pushed off the track, hits the dirt, and flips a crazy 9 times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiBjhpvT5nU#t=25s

(skip the video to 00:25)

No major injuries, but he'll be sore tomorrow: https://instagram.com/p/73QVuZt6Pj/

OUCH! Picture of his face at the hospital: http://br.motorsport.com/porsche/news/do-hospital-piquet-divulga-foto-com-rosto-muito-machucado/

ElTorro

Holy shit. The crash looked harsh, but you nowadays expect drivers to walk out of these unharmed. He certainly looks like his helmet took a beating.

Shaneus

You can speculate next year if I am from the future or if I have watched F1 for the last 20 years and realized no new team does well in their first year...
Only first year? Virgin/Marussia etc. says hi. I doubt they'll do very well at all, and likely struggle to survive a la Marussia. But I have no basis for that.

Kill this token shit so Honda can splurge $500m on their MK5 2017 monster.
I thought I heard there was going to be an exemption or leniency or something. But maybe that was just general discussion in this thread.

ElTorro

Why the fuck is PDVSA even funding Maldonado. This shit is the second biggest mystery in the world right after the female orgasm.

yami4ct

Assuming the Lotus/Renault deal is as done as it sounds like it is, they have to be involved in resigning Pastor, right? I kind of thought they'd dump him if they got the Renault money. I wonder if Lotus is signing him now to get some sort of payment to deal with the rest of this season and are just going to let him be Renault's problem after that.

Fox Mulder

How fucked is McLaren? They can't be making much money racking up dnfs, have no major sponsors, and Honda is a joke. This circuit diminishes a shit engine and lets a great chassis shine, but they still didn't look good before retiring.

Aiii

So not worth it
It seems that some Ferrari mechanics pushed FIA officials and photographers, according to Darren Heath. My kindergarten comment was directed to the written apology, just fine them. I guess there's basis for that based on regulations.

Ferrari suggested the written apology themselves as a mea culpa, so I guess Arrivabene is still in kindergarten between races.

xrnzaaas

Remember how furious Grosjean was when he had to drive in a Renault powered car last year? Maybe he doesn't want more of the same. ;) I myself don't see the team improving after switching from Mercedes back to Renault engines, even if they won't have to worry about the budget anymore.

Good news everyone.

They basically confirmed what Pastor said a week or two ago. He signed for 2015 and 2016 and it doesn't matter who owns the team.

Why the fuck is PDVSA even funding Maldonado. This shit is the second biggest mystery in the world right after the female orgasm.

That's some real X-Files mystery. At some point they had some sponsorship from the Venezuelan tourism department on the rear wing, so that's something that made sense. But how is it doing them any good by just slapping "PDVSA" on the wings and call it a day? But I already ranted about how these open sponsorships by oil corporations don't make much sense to me.

Ark

Remember when Rosberg thanked Petronas on the podium in Malaysia?

Imagine if Maldonado did the same for PDVSA (if by some freak of nature he scored a second victory).

What else is he going to do? Another shit season in a shit car? Switching from McLaren to another low- or mid-tier team and fight to get into Q3?

I think he's had it all and is probably fine with retiring, even if he doesn't leave the sport with a bang (unless the engine blows up during the last race, which isn't unlikely).

Alonso said he's committed to his 3-year contract, but I can see him bailing at the end of next year, if McLaren doesn't imrpove. He was signed until 2016 for Ferrari as well and wanted to retire with them, so who knows.

Now the question remains, Stoffel or Kevin?

Remember how furious Grosjean was when he had to drive in a Renault powered car last year? Maybe he doesn't want more of the same. ;) I myself don't see the team improving after switching from Mercedes back to Renault engines, even if they won't have to worry about the budget anymore.
ftqteyn.gif

Mastah

What else is he going to do? Another shit season in a shit car? Switching from McLaren to another low- or mid-tier team and fight to get into Q3?

I think he's had it all and is probably fine with retiring, even if he doesn't leave the sport with a bang (unless the engine blows up during the last race, which isn't unlikely).

Alonso said he's committed to his 3-year contract, but I can see him bailing at the end of next year, if McLaren doesn't imrpove. He was signed until 2016 for Ferrari as well and wanted to retire with them, so who knows.

Now the question remains, Stoffel or Kevin?

I don't question his decision, I'm just angry at Honda, because of their piece of shit engine F1 will lose still one of the best drivers, with fantastic racecraft.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

olore

Oh so it´s time now? Probably makes sense on a lot of levels, never had a huge hard-on for him as most here, but he was stiff and solid behind the wheel. Talked and mumbled like a drunkard over the radio

Fisico

I was wondering why Renault would drop a French driver but it makes sense if they get a better one.

Seems like it's more about Grosjean's choice than Renault, Vergne was linked with Haas earlier in the month before Grosjean's rumor came to light.

If Ocon is chosen that would be a funny one too, he was a Lotus junior driver and was dropped before being saved by Mercedes this year and now he would be back in a Lotus next year lol ?
Thanks Mercedes for the free year I guess.

The Times is reporting the same thing.

Pretty much confirmed.

Good for him, he leaves on his own terms instead of being kicked out by a team with a shitbox of a car.

Ark

That's a huge shame, but it was bound happen soon anyway. He's had a fantasic career, just a shame it had to end it with such a good car.

I'm hoping he gets to do WEC. The missus and I waited three hours outside his garage to get his autograph at the last F1 race we went to, but sadly he wasn't around. She'd love to get to see him and I think she'd stand a much better chance at a WEC event.

It's sad because he's a nice guy and we'll miss seeing him in F1, but it's probably a good decision for him. He's getting pretty old for a F1 driver, he has a family now, and McLaren isn't going to pull themselves out of this shitshow for quite a while. Time to move on I think.

Schumacher was in top form at the age of 37. Same for Mansell (even later). Alonso and Button haven't really lost form and they are 34 and 35, respectively. They both definitely have a few more years in them before declining; physically, they are in sublime shape.

I think he's leaving because he just doesn't see McLaren being competitive for a few more years and can't be bothered to wait. That and the fact that he is probably 50x more expensive than a Magnussen or a Vandoorne.

Schumacher was in top form at the age of 37. Same for Mansell (even later). Alonso and Button haven't really lost form and they are 34 and 35, respectively. They both definitely have a few more years in them before declining; physically, they are in sublime shape.

I think he's leaving because he just doesn't see McLaren being competitive for a few more years and can't be bothered to wait. That and the fact that he is probably 50x more expensive than a Magnussen or a Vandoorne.

Didn't his contract just expire.

Disappointed to see Button retire but not surprised, will miss his banter going forward.

Oh so it´s time now? Probably makes sense on a lot of levels, never had a huge hard-on for him as most here, but he was stiff and solid behind the wheel. Talked and mumbled like a drunkard over the radio

I'll always remember him for the lack of understeer in his cars.

Mohonky

Just got done watching the race;

Vettel in that Ferrari, holy shit. That was 2013 era Redbull domination style. Never even looked like being troubled. Where was Raikkonen? I swear the dude has fuck all interest in even being in F1, he's just there to do enough to take home a pay cheque and keep his seat.

Redbull and in particular Ricciardo did well, badger boy hunting every last point he can get. He was never going to catch Vettel but it was at least good to see him on the Podium again.

Mercedes; wtf happen? It wasn't even just Merc, it was every team powered by Merc also. They all struggled. I wonder if there is just something about the engine mapping on those PU's that is maybe too aggressive or just for whatever reason doesn't like Singapore. I suppose for Merc there is some question that perhaps their cars just don't like running a higher psi tire? Will have to wait and see in Suzuka whether it's a one off. They definitely didn't have the mechanical grip here though, maybe they just have a chasis with far more aero bias than mechanical. Either way, Ferrrari have been getting closer and closer this year and todays race was a blitzing, worrying that Merc can't even point at a reason.

Button on Maldonado; Buttons fault entirely. It was plain as day even without a replay, he just kept accelerating before going up Maldonado's ass. It didn't even happen quickly, you could see if he didn't lift he was going into the back of him and well, he just didn't lift. No idea who he thinks he's fooling on that one. Is

Will Button leave at the end of this year? Hopefully, dude just needs to fuck off. We get it, the car is shit, but he's been a never ending whinger during his entire stint at Mclaren. I have no grip. I have too much understeer, I have too much oversteer, the car feels like crap, whats going on. It never ends. Other drivers just adapt, they experience some issues they make a note of it and adjust how they drive. Not old Jensen, if it isn't 100% perfect, he goes into defeatist mode. Just fuck off and let a younger driver or someone with some tenacity have a go and go sit at home whinge.

Top Bottom