• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Jezbollah

...Will Button leave at the end of this year? Hopefully, dude just needs to fuck off. We get it, the car is shit, but he's been a never ending whinger during his entire stint at Mclaren. I have no grip. I have too much understeer, I have too much oversteer, the car feels like crap, whats going on. It never ends. Other drivers just adapt, they experience some issues they make a note of it and adjust how they drive. Not old Jensen, if it isn't 100% perfect, he goes into defeatist mode. Just fuck off and let a younger driver or someone with some tenacity have a go and go sit at home whinge.

Yes, I'm sure Jenson's going to go off home and whinge, retiring at 35 with his super model wife and £60m in the bank.

Mohonky

Yes, I'm sure Jenson's going to go off home and whinge, with his super model wife and £60m in the bank.

Its a pity his money and wife can't bring him a WDC, or grip for that matter.

Dude is right up there with Raikkonen as worst WDC ever.

xrnzaaas

It would be a sad to see Button go, there would be one driver less I like in the series. And one more reason to drop F1 until better times come. ;)

Risgroo

Wow, it's going to be very weird watching F1 without JB, feels like he's been around forever :(
Hope he goes to the WEC, him and Webber in the same car would be brilliant.

I hope Alonso gets the hell out of Mclaren and gets in a Red Bull. We need one more season of him in a competitive car before he bows out of the sport.

Its a pity his money and wife can't bring him a WDC, or grip for that matter.

Dude is right up there with Raikkonen as worst WDC ever.
latest

Surely there's gotta be a WDC worse than these two. I honestly thought JV was the worse WDC within the last 20 years but what the hell do I know.

hadareud

The Translator
Hill and Villeneuve were certainly worse. Raikonnen was worse too, probably. So essentially, Schumacher, Hamilton, Vettel, Senna, Prost & Alonso were better than him. Hardly something to be ashamed of. Mansell was no better than him, either.

Button was a very good driver and he's a decent guy, the hate for him is ridiculous.

Jezbollah

latest

Surely there's gotta be a WDC worse than these two. I honestly thought JV was the worse WDC within the last 20 years but what the hell do I know.

It depends on what your definition of being bad is - Villeneuve's title defence in 1998 was on the first Adrian Newey-less Williams, with customer Mechacrome engines and Goodyears that were far behind Bridgestone. I actually think JV's best F1 drive was getting third place at Hockenheim that year..

If it's about ability...

Hill and Villeneuve were certainly worse. Raikonnen was worse too, probably. So essentially, Schumacher, Hamilton, Vettel, Senna, Prost & Alonso were better than him. Hardly something to be ashamed of. Mansell was no better than him, either.

Button was a very good driver and he's a decent guy, the hate for him is ridiculous.

^ I agree with this.

Risgroo

Button will almost certainly be a TV pundit next year.

Who will get him, BBC or Sky?

If the rumours about him joining new Top Gear are true, he might become part of the BBC F1 crew as well. Don't forget that he's got great chemistry with DC, so those two together in the commentary box would make for some amazing television.

dubc35

Damn, I'll miss you Jenson.

Fuck, really?

Such a shame :( Deserved to finish his years in a better car than what he has now.

Hope he joins Porsche.
Seriously Porsche, just have a Hulkenberg, Webber, Button car next year.

If the rumours about him joining new Top Gear are true, he might become part of the BBC F1 crew as well. Don't forget that he's got great chemistry with DC, so those two together in the commentary box would make for some amazing television.
As amazing as Brundle and DC were together I think DC and Button would be even better!

It depends on what your definition of being bad is - Villeneuve's title defence in 1998 was on the first Adrian Newey-less Williams, with customer Mechacrome engines and Goodyears that were far behind Bridgestone. I actually think JV's best F1 drive was getting third place at Hockenheim that year..

If it's about ability...

^ I agree with this.
Yeah I usually just think of it in terms of driving ability, Button's not that bad. I honestly can't see Raikkonen dealing with Hamilton as well as Button did.

Kyougar

Auto-Bild reports, that Audi wants to get out of DTM and WEC if they go into Formula 1.

The wording of the dementi from the Audi Boos is peculiar:

"Pure speculation and no comment" on Audi buying Red Bull and going into Formula 1.

but:

"we decisively reject the notion that we are quitting DTM and WEC"

PR speak is always like that. If the Company considers the notion or has made a decision but dont want to lift the secret at that time, its always "no comment" or "we dont speak about rumors"
If the rumor is wrong (or in some cases is bad PR or the truth is otherwise inconvenient for the company), they will tell you its wrong.

Auto-Bild reports, that Audi wants to get out of DTM and WEC if they go into Formula 1.

The wording of the dementi from the Audi Boos is peculiar:

"Pure speculation and no comment" on Audi buying Red Bull and going into Formula 1.

but:

"we decisively reject the notion that we are quitting DTM and WEC"

PR speak is always like that. If the Company considers the notion or has made a decision but dont want to lift the secret at that time, its always "no comment" or "we dont speak about rumors"
If the rumor is wrong (or in some cases is bad PR or the truth is otherwise inconvenient for the company), they will tell you its wrong.

It's also good PR to counter-act against bad news (VAG's shares taking a dive over the EPA fine) with some positive news.

Not saying it's not true or unfounded (there's too much noise for it to be completely false), but it's quite the coincidence.

Alonso has an explanation for the problems with Honda.

"In terms of reliability, we're not on top of the issues that we have with the car, but this is normal – the project is too young," said Alonso, who has retired from half of the races he has started this season.

"We now have the same mileage as Mercedes in Australia, so we are still in winter testing.

"These issues should not happen in race 13 but we are a little bit behind the pack."

Still in testing, guys!

"In terms of reliability, we're not on top of the issues that we have with the car, but this is normal – the project is too young," said Alonso, who has retired from half of the races he has started this season.

"We now have the same mileage as Mercedes in Australia, so we are still in winter testing.

"These issues should not happen in race 13 but we are a little bit behind the pack."

Still in testing, guys!
So by the midpoint of the 2016 season they should be done with 2015 testing.

Chris R

So I guess even NBC hates NBC Sports :( Had Today on because it's the only thing that gets my lazy ass out of bed to get to work on time and they had a clip of the person on the track from yesterday, but it wasn't NBC Sports coverage, instead they had Sky Sports in the corner. What bozos.

The whole EPA/Volkswagen scandal could be the end of any participation of Audi in F1 even before it starts.

Rumors are the CEO of VAG will resign.

Jezbollah

Still in testing, guys!

To be really honest, Honda right now are in mid 2013 compared to where Mercedes are right now.

dubc35

BBC reporting Grosjean to Haas.

Sources close to the Franco-Swiss say Grosjean has already made his mind up to switch despite the expected impending takeover of Lotus by Renault.

His switch would leave a vacancy at Lotus/Renault alongside Pastor Maldonado, whose new deal was announced on Sunday.

Contenders for the seat include ex-Toro Rosso driver Jean-Eric Vergne.

And McLaren reserve Kevin Magnussen is also in the running.

dubc35

Who would be on the speculative list to drive for Ferrari after Kimi?

Bottas
Jean-Eric Vergne
Esteban Gutierrez
Daniel Ricciardo?
Hulkenberg (just because he always has to be mentioned for a seat he won't get)
Verstappen
Mark Webber
Kubica

silly list is silly

Is Piech coming back to VAG? :lol

Who knows, the current CEO had his contract up for renewal, just wiped 1/5 of the companies' value, ruined VAG's reputation in the market where he and Piech had the dispute over, will pay a couple billions in fines and this is just the beginning - now the German authorities want to know if VAG also faked the results for the German market.

itsgreen

Who knows, the current CEO had his contract up for renewal, just wiped 1/5 of the companies' value, ruined VAG's reputation in the market where he and Piech had the dispute over, will pay a couple billions in fines and this is just the beginning - now the German authorities want to know if VAG also faked the results for the German market.

Well... did he ruin it, or inherit it...

dubc35

It seems like cheating would be along the same lines they need to be if they want to be successful in F1, gotta exploit that rule book. /joking...somewhat

yami4ct

Who would be on the speculative list to drive for Ferrari after Kimi?

Bottas
Jean-Eric Vergne
Esteban Gutierrez
Daniel Ricciardo?
Hulkenberg (just because he always has to be mentioned for a seat he won't get)
Verstappen
Mark Webber
Kubica

silly list is silly

I don't think Ferrari could get ahold of Ricciardo or Verstappen unless either Red Bull becomes an absolute shitshow post-Renault or they leave the sport as they keep threatening. RBR will hold onto those guys for dear life.

I could see someone aiming for Sainz if he keeps it up, but I don't think he'll be in the running for a top seat for a couple years. I doubt he'll be in talks unless Kimi gets yet another extension.

dubc35

I don't think Ferrari could get ahold of Ricciardo or Verstappen unless either Red Bull becomes an absolute shitshow post-Renault or they leave the sport as they keep threatening. RBR will hold onto those guys for dear life.

I could see someone aiming for Sainz if he keeps it up, but I don't think he'll be in the running for a top seat for a couple years. I doubt he'll be in talks unless Kimi gets yet another extension.

I don't know, a lot of us probably thought the same about Vettel several years ago. I agree that presently it seems rather far fetched; so maybe not Kimi's seat but replacing whoever replaces Kimi....or replacing Vettel when the time comes.

yami4ct

I don't know, a lot of us probably thought the same about Vettel several years ago. I agree that presently it seems rather far fetched; so maybe not Kimi's seat but replacing whoever replaces Kimi....or replacing Vettel when the time comes.

True. You can't underestimate a driver's desire to win. That can easily trump loyalty to a team or money. I think that's especially true of drivers who haven't won a WDC yet. I think it will be really hard to take those guys away as long as post-Renault RBR is competitive, but anything is possible.

Random aside... in a hotel I happened to run into a girl that was born on the exact same date as me. I tried to work out the odds... gave up. lol

Aren't birthdays not truly a random distribution over all 365 days, anyway? Wouldn't that mean some days have higher odds than others? I assume figuring out the 'true' odds would be ridiculous. Obviously 1/365 for a given year is close enough.

Is it Honda's fault or the fault of rules in F1?

McLaren pushed Honda into F1 a year earlier than they were planning, right? That doesn't fully excuse Honda and the limits of the token system probably didn't help, but let's not leave the team out of the blame.

dubc35

In probability theory, the birthday problem or birthday paradox[1] concerns the probability that, in a set of n randomly chosen people, some pair of them will have the same birthday. By the pigeonhole principle, the probability reaches 100% when the number of people reaches 367 (since there are 366 possible birthdays, including February 29). However, 99.9% probability is reached with just 70 people, and 50% probability with 23 people. These conclusions include the assumption that each day of the year (except February 29) is equally probable for a birthday.

Much more at the link, along with the math if you're so inclined. It looks like after 23 people the odds are >50% that two people have the same bday.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

Aren't birthdays not truly a random distribution over all 365 days, anyway? Wouldn't that mean some days have higher odds than others? I assume figuring out the 'true' odds would be ridiculous. Obviously 1/365 for a given year is close enough..

No, I mean literally the same date. Same day, same month, same year.

Top Bottom