• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Hammer24

Banned
Just in case you were wondering: there will be no undercutting this year @ Merc.
Official team policy - drivers may duke it out on track as they please, but may not in any shape or form use the team or part of the team ("their half of the pit") to maneuver ahead of the team mate. Whoever leads on track calls the stop.

Zeknurn

Here's some good news for a change
Formula E may potentially race on the streets of Switzerland in the future following the decision from the Swiss government to reduce the restrictions on motorsport to allow electric racing.
Motorsport has previously been forbidden in Switzerland for decades with the last motor race to be held at the circuit of Bremgarten, near Bern, in 1954. Now, after a historic decision by the Swiss Council of States to adopt a motion by MP Fathi Derder, Switzerland can welcome professional motorsport back into the country.
http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/...ays-foundation-for-potential-swiss-eprix.aspx

Just in case you were wondering: there will be no undercutting this year @ Merc.
Official team policy - drivers may duke it out on track as they please, but may not in any shape or form use the team or part of the team ("their half of the pit") to maneuver ahead of the team mate. Whoever leads on track calls the stop.

Awesome news. Hamilton a quadruple WDC..

Looks like Mercedes will delay their final PU upgrade until Barcelona

Fun fact: Ferrari was 34,5 seconds behind yesterday. In 2014, they were 35,2 seconds behind Mercedes :) Malaysia should bring clearer picture on how they really improved.

How much was merc faster than last year? To have a proper comparison.

But, it doesn't matter I guess, mercs were cruising anyway

2015 1:31:54.067
2014 1:32:58.710

0:01:04.653

Thanks

So we can be safe by saying the Ferrari's are at least a whole minute faster than last year. As for the Mercs, only god knows how much faster they can go. And with bernie and redbull shit is out now, I'm assuming more sandbagging will happen in the coming races to hide their true pace

DBT85

I wonder if you can clarify something for me.

If Hamilton is leading and Nico is 2nd, Hamilton gets the call on pitting first. If he rejects that option does it go to Nico or does Nico have to wait until Hamilton chooses to pit and then go in after him?

Thanks

So we can be safe by saying the Ferrari's are at least a whole minute faster than last year. As for the Mercs, only god knows how much faster they can go. And with bernie and redbull shit is out now, I'm assuming more sandbagging will happen in the coming races to hide their true pace

Also don;t forget Last year Nico didn't have to push as Hamilton was out. I am fairly sure he cruised even mrroe than Hamilton did this year, even if they both looked bored out there this weekend.

I wonder if you can clarify something for me.

If Hamilton is leading and Nico is 2nd, Hamilton gets the call on pitting first. If he rejects that option does it go to Nico or does Nico have to wait until Hamilton chooses to pit and then go in after him?

I'd assume this is only valid if they're on the same strategy. What I read from this is there shouldn't be mid-race shenanigans or change of strategies to try to overtake one another .

frontieruk

Thanks

Depends on where you look at it from.

Vettel
1:32:28.590

Alonso
1:33:33.994
Kimi
1:33.56.385

It would of been nice if Kimi had finished so we had a direct comparison but to me it looks like Ferrari made a slightly bigger jump than Merc based on times.

DBT85

I didn't follow the Manor story much during the GP weekend besides them showing up. Dd they actually expect to race? Did they get Marussia's bonus money from last year?

I don't know if they expected to race, but they were certainly prepared to put a car out at some point if they could get it all working. It was basically the first test for them and they didn't have all winter to get things running like everyone else.

They'll be running in Malaysia but I expect them to be dog slow. A 2014 Ferrari engine and basically bodges to make the car 2015 legal. If they are very very lucky they'll get inside the 107% time in Q1 if Mercedes don't push too hard.

Juicy Bob

Depends on where you look at it from.

Vettel
1:32:28.590

Alonso
1:33:33.994
Kimi
1:33.56.385

It would of been nice if Kimi had finished so we had a direct comparison but to me it looks like Ferrari made a slightly bigger jump than Merc based on times.
Just be careful with those comparisons as last year's race was only 57 laps not 58 like yesterday

RoKKeR

This whole Red Bull situation is hilarious and embarrassing. Why should they get special treatment? Ferrari had a dog of a car last year and they turned it around in impressive form. Williams was shit for years and look at how they did last year and it looks like they'll continue their success this year. Yes the gap is big but other teams are working hard to close it. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw more non-Mercedes wins this year what with both Williams and Ferrari looking strong right out of the gate.

It's not Merc's fault you regressed. Of course I'd like to see more competitive races and other teams fighting for 1st, but bitching about that not being the case isn't going to get you anywhere.

I didn't follow the Manor story much during the GP weekend besides them showing up. Dd they actually expect to race? Did they get Marussia's bonus money from last year?

No, I posted a tweet from an F1 insider who said days before the GP that Manor would not race. Bernie clarified the missing 3 races thing saying it was for the duration of the contract with FOM and not per season. He is clearly not happy with what Manor did (going to Aus knowing it was not going to race at all - rumors say they didn't even bring fuel...). I think he'll end up paying, but he takes a while to pay teams so it won't be different for Manor.

Ark

CAP0vKbVAAA_lJe.jpg:large

How does it feel to be a number-two team?

Ark

Guys, we're back in the Community :(

It hasn't even been two fucking weeks! Hopefully the thread won't die like it usually does.. I don't get it, the pre-season OT stayed in off-topic for it's entire existence. Fucks sake.

Anyway, my predictions were both hilariously on-point and hilariously catastrophic:

f18d43ab36.jpg

What year is this? 2009?

It's the only caption I could think of :p

It hasn't even been two fucking weeks! Hopefully the thread won't die like it usually does.. I don't get it, the pre-season OT stayed in off-topic for it's entire existence. Fucks sake.

Anyway, my predictions were both hilariously on-point and hilariously catastrophic:

f18d43ab36.jpg

It's the only caption I could think of :p
Though this year looks like it could mirror 2008 a bit, though with a more consistent looking Lewis. Jenson's team on the balls of their ass, Alonso in a shit heap, ferrari on the pace but not on the sharp end like 08, Red Bull a fucking non entity.

Ark

Though this year looks like it could mirror 2008 a bit, though with a more consistent looking Lewis. Jenson's team on the balls of their ass, Alonso in a shit heap, ferrari on the pace but not on the sharp end like 08, Red Bull a fucking non entity.

I know it's considered crazy, but I reckon Ferrari will be competitive by the end of the year. They managed to catch up to RBR in 2010 with their wacky management, and now that things seem to be harmonious (unless you're that left-rear mechanic) in the team, they've got everything they need to take the fight to Mercedes.

I'm probably just being too optimistic. A Ferrari Vs. Mercedes fight would be amazing, and obviously it'd make the races more interesting.

EDIT: I really don't think things are as bleak as 90% of the posters here do. Yeah Aus sucked but there looks to be a huge amount of potential in the grid in terms of development - as opposed to last year when everyone just looked crap.

I know it's considered crazy, but I reckon Ferrari will be competitive by the end of the year. They managed to catch up to RBR in 2010 with their wacky management, and now that things seem to be harmonious (unless you're that left-rear mechanic) in the team, they've got everything they need to take the fight to Mercedes.

I'm probably just being too optimistic. A Ferrari Vs. Mercedes fight would be amazing, and obviously it'd make the races more interesting.

EDIT: I really don't think things are as bleak as 90% of the posters here do. Yeah Aus sucked but there looks to be a huge amount of potential in the grid in terms of development - as opposed to last year when everyone just looked crap.
Don't worry I hope they do become competitive. Sebastian vs Lewis made for some really good races. Tire guy probably woke up with a horses head in his bed.

Massa

I know it's considered crazy, but I reckon Ferrari will be competitive by the end of the year.

I think Ferrari will do very well. Their new boss is such a huge step up over the clowns that were incharge the last few years.

He also explained what he was doing when he went to see the mechanics on the troublesome left rear corner of Kimi’s car, a moment captured by the TV cameras.

“I went down into the box first of all to calm down them because I don’t want them to panic. Second I was asking to the mechanic what’s happened? He explained it to me and I said to him, Listen, calm down, be focussed, don’t worry. Things like this happen.”

http://adamcooperf1.com/2015/03/16/maurizio-arrivabene-kimi-you-are-like-a-hammer/

Shaneus

Guys, we're back in the Community :(
Yeah, this is pretty shit. Maybe Bernie is a closet mod on GAF and he's doing his best to reduce the size of the audience every way he can.

f18d43ab36.jpg
I got 70 points, but I can't get to the predictor at work to see how accurate that was. Is 70 good? I forget :/

This whole Red Bull situation is hilarious and embarrassing. Why should they get special treatment? Ferrari had a dog of a car last year and they turned it around in impressive form. Williams was shit for years and look at how they did last year and it looks like they'll continue their success this year. Yes the gap is big but other teams are working hard to close it. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw more non-Mercedes wins this year what with both Williams and Ferrari looking strong right out of the gate.

It's not Merc's fault you regressed. Of course I'd like to see more competitive races and other teams fighting for 1st, but bitching about that not being the case isn't going to get you anywhere.
Be interesting to see how the Mercs fare after they (maybe) get adjusted after that thing Scarbs posted about fuel flow measurement. Could well be a trick they've used which they might not be able to lean on anymore.

Wish we had some conclusive evidence whether they were or weren't exploiting that loophole.

Ark

Be interesting to see how the Mercs fare after they (maybe) get adjusted after that thing Scarbs posted about fuel flow measurement. Could well be a trick they've used which they might not be able to lean on anymore.

Wish we had some conclusive evidence whether they were or weren't exploiting that loophole.

Could you imagine if Seb won the WDC this year by four points over Hamilton/Rosberg?

I don't think Alonso would ever set foot inside a four-wheeled vehicle ever again.

DBT85

We don't even know if the directive was issued because someone (Horner) suspects it or if someone else asked for a clarification.

We'll find out fairly fast if it was indeed a Mercedes trick that apparently none of the other Mercedes teams were able to use. Mercedes would have been found to not only have been breaking the rules about increasing fuel flow after the sensor, but also on supplying customer teams with non identical hardware. On that basis alone I can't imagine that there is indeed a little fuel tank in the engine somewhere to allow them to use more fuel. The ramifications for Mercedes as a brand would be huge.

The reality is that the TD will come into effect and nothing will change, except that the FIA will now have more information about each car.

With Horners comments about the FIA having Torque data and other engine data and that there should be some "equalisation" I'm even more convinced its a RBR inspired move.

Pimpwerx

Yeah, this is pretty shit. Maybe Bernie is a closet mod on GAF and he's doing his best to reduce the size of the audience every way he can.

I got 70 points, but I can't get to the predictor at work to see how accurate that was. Is 70 good? I forget :/

I'd put my money on it affecting Ferrari more than anyone else. Why? They made the biggest step forward over the winter. That said, it's impossible to know who this is targeting. It shouldn't make a difference to the Mercs since they're probably doing most of their damage through aero and mechanical grip rather than raw power. Getting the power down early is more important than how much you can put down. Mercs are on the gas before every other car. PEACE.

Shaneus

I'd put my money on it affecting Ferrari more than anyone else. Why? They made the biggest step forward over the winter. That said, it's impossible to know who this is targeting. It shouldn't make a difference to the Mercs since they're probably doing most of their damage through aero and mechanical grip rather than raw power. Getting the power down early is more important than how much you can put down. Mercs are on the gas before every other car. PEACE.
That's true... while it could affect the Mercs, seen how on-rails they are has almost nothing to do with the engine compared to power output. Although maybe this fuel thing might allow for cleaner power output when going through/out of corners.

dubc35

No, I posted a tweet from an F1 insider who said days before the GP that Manor would not race. Bernie clarified the missing 3 races thing saying it was for the duration of the contract with FOM and not per season. He is clearly not happy with what Manor did (going to Aus knowing it was not going to race at all - rumors say they didn't even bring fuel...). I think he'll end up paying, but he takes a while to pay teams so it won't be different for Manor.

Got it, thanks!

Williams confirmed that Susie Wolff won't replace Bottas

Australian GP: Williams will not put Susie Wolff in for Valtteri Bottas

Williams test driver Susie Wolff will not replace Valtteri Bottas if the Finn is ruled out of the Malaysian Grand Prix, the team have told BBC Sport.
The 25-year-old was declared unfit by a doctor to race in Australia because of a tear in a disc in his lower back.
But deputy team principal Claire Williams said Wolff would not be under consideration - although she refused to confirm the likely deputy.
"Susie Wolff is our test driver not our reserve driver," she said.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/31893787

Top Bottom