• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

sam777

In 2012 Hamilton was leading the Singapore Grand Prix when his car broke down.

A week later it was announced that he was going to Mercedes.

OIhJt2g.jpg
Had Hamilton won that race or one of the others he was leading Alonso would have won the title. As Vettel wouldn't have got an extra 4 more points over him.

Sad times.

I remember that Kimi also helped Massa right after the year he won the title.

He is just isn't the guy who suddenly acts childish in such situations.

exactly.

Kimi has always said that I'll fight as long as there's a shot at the title. For him to stay in the title race in 2008 he had to win the race, but when he was second and there was no chance of catching the guy in front (I think was hamilton) he slowed down and let Massa pass..

As far as I can remember Kimi has been accused of not being interested and shit. It's really getting old. As old as Kimi

come 2017 you'll all miss him. The grid is already boring, we need more character

BRING BACK WEBBO

kharma45

It was a monsterous drive to finish where he did and to win the title. Sure he had some good fortune that race in particular (rain), but no one becomes Champion without a healthy dose of good-fortune.

I'd still have preferred it if Alonso had taken it though. He drove his heart out in 2012 and if he hadn't binned it at Suzuka he'd have won the title.

Not getting collected by another car when he spun was fortunate, that was my point and that isn't debatable. Vettel didn't do anything magical bar sit still and hope for the best.

Ark

OIhJt2g.jpg

It was the double-take that signalled the end for me, when he looked back at the car after walking away from it.

Not getting collected by another car when he spun was fortunate, that was my point and that isn't debatable. Vettel didn't do anything magical bar sit still and hope for the best.

And drive his balls off.

Ark

Which I am not disputing, but the point that was made was that he somehow did something special to avoid getting hit when he didn't. That's it. What happened after isn't relevant to that argument.

Oh. I must have been reading the wrong point then, sorry :p

Lotus is so out of money, Bernie had to pay for their lunch.

bhbCPXr.jpg

Say what you want about the little poison dwarf, but he really seems to like Lotus or the team.

Ark

Why haven't Renault just bought them already? Are they literally waiting to pick it up for the cheapest possible price?

Aiii

So not worth it
Why haven't Renault just bought them already? Are they literally waiting to pick it up for the cheapest possible price?

I have this feeling they've come to terms weeks ago and are just holding off of the announcement until after the season ends. I reckon they closed the deal around the same time they amnounced that they're no longer going to supply teams with a customer engine.

Lotus is so out of money, Bernie had to pay for their lunch.
Say what you want about the little poison dwarf, but he really seems to like Lotus or the team.

Bernie has saved many teams from disappearing off of the grid through the years. He wants to have a full grid and will do anything to keep things from going south.

Which is also why I'm not worried about RB threatening to quit the sport at the end of the season. Bernie will ensure he won't lose two teams for the next season.

Zeknurn

My guess is that Renault is currently in a stand off versus Bernie over TV money which is why Bernie has decided to help the team out.

Yes, they want the current shareholders to write off as much debt as possible.

Renault are acting like true scumbags.

P.S.:Sainz quickest in FP1? What a talent!

That's what the media would be saying if it was Wonderboy.

Some other little news bits.

"Speaking to NBCSN in Suzuka on Friday, Red Bull team principal Horner said that needing an engine supplier so late in the year is not ideal, but that he is working hard to strike a new deal.
“Of course it’s not an ideal situation,” Horner said. “I’m working hard to try and find a solution, and hopefully there will be a solution in the coming weeks but it’s quite simple. If we don’t get an engine, we can’t push the car.

When asked if we could safely assume it would not be provided by Volkswagen, Horner wryly said: “That seemed to go up in smoke.
"

http://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2015/09/25/horner-red-bull-volkswagen-deal-up-in-smoke/

Formula 1's new-for-2016 team, Haas F1, will make a driver announcement during a press conference at its Kannapolis base on Tuesday.

But the Ferrari-associated outfit, which will arrive in Formula 1 next season, has not confirmed whether just one or both of its drivers will be revealed.
GPUpdate.net understands that current Lotus driver Romain Grosjean and Ferrari reserve pilot Esteban Gutiérrez are the primary contenders for the seats.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/330626/haas-f1-to-make-driver-announcement/

Oh I'm well versed in how Hamilton would have tied up that title long before the final race, its just crazy to think back then that I thought McLaren was a joke team and now look at them.
That year they were a Monty Python sketch, now they're just full on Blackadder. That year broke my heart.

Risgroo

Autosport said:
McLaren chief operating officer Jonathan Neale indicated on Friday the team wants Button to stay but was still in talks, admitting "if your driver really doesn't want to be in the team, you have to respect that".

Button preferred not to elaborate on the status of the McLaren discussions.

"I have nothing else to add about next year," he said.

"I think I said enough about it, and who said that Jonathan was talking about me anyway?"
Yooooo

Aiii

So not worth it
Just let Button go and give Vandoorne a seat goddamnit.

Damn crime that he's wasting away in GP2 is what it is.

Sky should pick up Button for their analysis team right away.

Just let Button go and give Vandoorne a seat goddamnit.

Damn crime that he's wasting away in GP2 is what it is.

Sky should pick up Button for their analysis team right away.

The Stoff isn't good enough to replace Button. McLaren should give Button a guaranteed two year contract, not just take up the 1 year option.

Ronbo out!

Kyougar

Let's be real: Alonso can't really think he has a competitive drive next year with McLaren.
I'm not saying that Button meant, that Jonathan meant, that Alonso is (also) in talks with McLaren to STAY next year. But he surely doesnt want to play catch up with Manor and Haas next year.

What I think (and hope for Alonso), that he has some kind of exit-clause when the Car is not competitive. So McLaren tries to talk Alonso (and apparently Button) out of activating his exit-clause.

If Alonso would be confident that the care is competitive next year, he would try to get more data for his Team, knowing that this season is datamining for next season. But he isnt playing that part ("Alonso we need fuel-data" "NO! I want to drive!")

So either he wants out this year or he is just doing a Kimi and collects his paycheck. OR he is just a diva, a non-teamplayer, that just wants everything on the silver platter and expects the team to magically get the car good next year.

Let's be real: Alonso can't really think he has a competitive drive next year with McLaren.
I'm not saying that Button meant, that Jonathan meant, that Alonso is (also) in talks with McLaren to STAY next year. But he surely doesnt want to play catch up with Manor and Haas next year.

What I think (and hope for Alonso), that he has some kind of exit-clause when the Car is not competitive. So McLaren tries to talk Alonso (and apparently Button) out of activating his exit-clause.

If Alonso would be confident that the care is competitive next year, he would try to get more data for his Team, knowing that this season is datamining for next season. But he isnt playing that part ("Alonso we need fuel-data" "NO! I want to drive!")

So either he wants out this year or he is just doing a Kimi and collects his paycheck. OR he is just a diva, a non-teamplayer, that just wants everything on the silver platter and expects the team to magically get the car good next year.

Alonso has even less options than last year. He is stuck at McLaren.

Kyougar

Out? Surely there are other, better places to be, than in a McLaren. If the car isnt competitive next year, why should it be the year after that?

And the other thing is: Why should McLaren pay a premium driver if they dont have the car to compete in the WDC with? Alonso is getting old and everyone says he is not a person that helps develop the car. He outdrives the cars that he gets assigned. But even Alonso cant outdrive a McLaren to a WDC.

so if the McLaren isnt competitive next year and has no (internal) projection to be competitive the year after that, why pay dozen of Millions to a driver that cant help you get out of this mess? Let someone younger drive the car and if you are competitive again in a few years, THAT would be the time to buy a very good driver (if some of your younger drivers cant fill that part)

Why haven't Red Bull confirmed Kyvat for next season? In talks with Renault?

Alonso to Red Bull as Turrini said Briatore was trying to make happen, Alonso was in the Red Bull motor home at Spa.

McLaren wanting to keep Button to save face, two world champions bailing out at the same time wouldn't be a good look.

R.I.P McLaren.

Aiii

So not worth it
I was like "no way Wax lol!"

But I'd laugh my ass of if that happens.

I'd laugh even harder if Bernie ends up brokering Red Bull a deal to drive with Honda's next year instead of Ferrari's.

I was like "no way Wax lol!"

But I'd laugh my ass of if that happens.

I'd laugh even harder if Bernie ends up brokering Red Bull a deal to drive with Honda's next year instead of Ferrari's.
Oh god, the combination of Honda engines with Red Bull would be hilarious, they'd have to change their name to "Red Bull Whingers."

Ark

Alonso brings sponsorship and brand recognition that the rookies don't, as does Button.

Why haven't Red Bull confirmed Kyvat for next season? In talks with Renault?

Alonso to Red Bull as Turrini said Briatore was trying to make happen, Alonso was in the Red Bull motor home at Spa.

McLaren wanting to keep Button to save face, two world champions bailing out at the same time wouldn't be a good look.

R.I.P McLaren.

I will change my avatar to EJ if that happens.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

I would not give that particular observation too much importance. As far as I know, people are in each other's motorhomes all the time.

Nevertheless, I could definitely see that happen, if Alonso's contract allows him to switch teams. He is just too "old" to waste time, and it really does not look like McLaren will be a championship contender in 2016.

dubc35

Nando getting all the good pics this weekend:
"Once a person has reached enlightenment in one thing, he will have an enlightened mind and understand many things.....PS, Massa is faster than you."

Kyougar

I looked it up and he gets 25m pounds a year WITHOUT an exit clause for 3 years. (as reported by Skysports) Damn.

How much is this brand recognition worth when you dont have a competitive car from a guy who was WDC 10 years ago and wasnt in the title race since 2012.

Surely the higher ups would like to get rid of this huge paycheck if the car isnt winning podiums or races the next 2 years. Alonso must just turn up and drive a little. Surely it doesnt matter for him if he DNF's finishes on 14th or 8th. maybe it mattered in the first half of the year. but like he said, it only matters if you are fighting for first place.

If no surprise announcement happens this year, I think both McLaren and Alonso will tell us next year, that they decided to cut ties and Alonso wont be driving the third year for mcLaren.

I looked it up and he gets 25m pounds a year WITHOUT an exit clause for 3 years. (as reported by Skysports) Damn.

How much is this brand recognition worth when you dont have a competitive car from a guy who was WDC 10 years ago and wasnt in the title race since 2012.

Surely the higher ups would like to get rid of this huge paycheck if the car isnt winning podiums or races the next 2 years. Alonso must just turn up and drive a little. Surely it doesnt matter for him if he DNF's finishes on 14th or 8th. maybe it mattered in the first half of the year. but like he said, it only matters if you are fighting for first place.

If no surprise announcement happens this year, I think both McLaren and Alonso will tell us next year, that they decided to cut ties and Alonso wont be driving the third year for mcLaren.

Does Alonso look to you like that it doesn't matter how the car performances?

That the only cares about winning titles or that he can stop talking about the reletaive performance of Ferrari compared to his time at Ferrari is samurai PR bullshit.

OIhJt2g.jpg

Makes me think of the time when people thought that Hami was mad for going to Mercedes. Makes me want to go forum digging, but why should I be bothered.

dubc35

Makes me think of the time when people thought that Hami was mad for going to Mercedes. Makes me want to go forum digging, but why should I be bothered.

To be fair, that was also a time in which McLaren had a pretty good car, albeit HAM's was not the most reliable. I questioned his move at the time but hindsight is 20/20 and I think we can all see it was a great decision to go to Mercedes.

Aiii

So not worth it
Watching FP2 and Sky commentary mentioned that Sainz and Verstappen were on Fuji TV yesterday and had a 50 Euro bet on who could go the fastest in the rain at FP1, so Sainz is already up 50 Euro today, good on him. :D

To be fair, that was also a time in which McLaren had a pretty good car, albeit HAM's was not the most reliable. I questioned his move at the time but hindsight is 20/20 and I think we can all see it was a great decision to go to Mercedes.
He was realistically in the running to get 4 championships at McLaren and only got one. I think he just wanted a change because he realized McLaren was not the best team to get a championship. There's a lot of blame on both sides for him not winning 2010, 2007 is the infamous China race, and 2012 McLaren dun goofed...hard.

Top Bottom