• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Aiii

So not worth it
To be fair he has been saying the same thing all year. Ferrari, while you're doing well, you're still 2nd place. He was 2nd place all the time with Ferrari. He could stay 2nd place or he could change something.

Now he's 2nd from last.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Alonso will be thrilled to see that Vettel is going to end the season on P2.

alonso-ferrari-silversnojd.gif

He will still be a moral champion, you know, Mercedes cheating etc.

Yep, I'm sure he has no regrets at all after he barely gets to Q2 and retires midway through the race where he struggles to stay ahead of the Manor's with last years car and Ferrari engine.

No regrets at all.

Sure thing, Fernando...
http://estaticos.marca.com/imagenes/2014/11/20/en/more_sports/1416489032_extras_noticia_foton_7_0.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

[I]“In five years I finished second three times and I didn’t want to finish second anymore, so I’m in the right place now,” Alonso told Sky Sports News HQ in China on Thursday.

Asked if Ferrari technical director James Allison, the man credited with reviving the marque’s fortunes, had tried to convince him of the promise of the 2015 car last season, Alonso replied: “They tried for five years so it was difficult to keep the trust. Not only the trust, there are many other factors that [mean] McLaren-Honda are more attractive for me now.

“Of course, I understand the questions – Ferrari won in Malaysia, I was out of Q2, so it’s a very easy question now.

“But in November we’ll see. If they win the championship, it’s a bad decision. If they finish second, it’s a very good decision.”[/I]

and

[I]- Fernando Alonso wishes he had left Ferrari sooner. The two-time world champion, now with McLaren, admitted he felt "things were getting more and more sad" in his final months with the Italian team – and he should have left two years earlier. "The car was not competitive at all and things were getting more and more sad," he said. "So, probably, one or two years less was the best thing, but you know we tried to do our best and we fought until the end of every single race.After five years in Ferrari and being second all the time, I think it was enough for me…."[/I]

He's not wrong.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm sure Alonso goes to bed at night and thinks to himself "Driving for McLaren this year has been the best descision ever, I love this car and this team."

To be fair he has been saying the same thing all year. Ferrari, while you're doing well, you're still 2nd place. He was 2nd place all the time with Ferrari. He could stay 2nd place or he could change something.
Now he's either 14th place or a DNF, he changed something alright. He's rarely even racing anything unless you include the clock towards his inevitable DNF.

Red Bull is quite demanding for a desperate company running out of options.

Marchionne should just tell them to fuck off so they can finally leave for good at the end of this season.

Looking at this chart from last year:

1431517175.jpg

Thats a "$156M" that could go towards other teams should Red Bull leave the sport.

most likely the big teams will just hoard that extra money while the mid field and back marker teams continue to struggle

fake edit: McLoser getting more money than Williams last year is a goddamn travesty. It'll probably happen this year again *shrug*

Sure, a F1 with two team less and the best F1 junior program gone would improve F1 totally.

Aiii

So not worth it
He is completely wrong, and his move from Ferrari will be remembered as probably the worst in the history of F1.

I would imagine Damon Hill is happy that someone took that one away from him.
I guess you could make a point for Jacques Villeneuve as well, but at least he got big money when he went to BAR and Williams were already dropping off at that point.

Now he's 2nd from last.

He already has two championships under the belt. He's not in the sport for some podium finishes.

So what would you guys suggest that he should've done?

He was clearly very unhappy at Ferrari, even said that he should've left two years earlier. Mercedes and Red Bull had no seat for him.

Take a break from the sport, like Senna, and hope that a seat opens up for him?
Instead he took a risk that hasn't paid off. But he rather took that than staying another year at Ferrari, which is telling, imo.

Yup, WEC for a couple of years. Come back refreshed and hopefully to a better car. I'd have had another driver develop the car alongside Button for that time.

I can't imagine what this is doing to his already frazzled motivation.

dubc35

VW will bounce back. Toyota got so much negative press during the acceleration issues they had and they've mostly bounced back (no facts/data to back this up). It won't be overnight but they will be back to 'normal' in 6 months to a year. People forgive/forget.

operon

He already has two championships under the belt. He's not in the sport for some podium finishes.

He was clearly very unhappy at Ferrari, even said that he should've left two years earlier. Mercedes and Red Bull had no seat for him.

Instead he took a risk that hasn't paid off. But he rather took that than staying another year at Ferrari, which is telling, imo.

It was a bad choice leaving Ferrari, he like you say couldn't leave earlier as there was no seat at Red Bull and then Mercedes. McLaren certainly look like years away from podiums never mind wins and their performance before the Honda engine certainly wouldn't have made you think that they going to be in the running so realistically the only choices he had were either stay at Ferrari and hope they get it right or leave the sport. And racing for McLaren he may as well have left

Pretty sure, he was more or less forced to go to McLaren anyway. And not just because he thought that the combo Ron Dennis and Honda would be so great.

sam777

Now he's 2nd from last.

What difference does it make to him? None. As he didn't believe that Ferrari could beat Mercedes hence he took a gamble and moved to Mclaren Honda, which isn't paying off. The only way he truly regrets the move is if Vettel wns the title, this year or next.

Ark

Yup. These guys aren't here to finish 2nd, or to just compete, they're here to win championships and Alonso pretty much had no other choice.

EDIT: I don't understand the whole "fuck the guys in the dominant team" thought process either, Mercedes (like Red Bull) fucking earned their success. Clamoring for Vettel to grab title five in six years is so backwards I just don't get it, he doesn't have anything to prove and people want him to actually be Schumacher 2.0?

That said, I would relish a straight up Hamilton vs. Vettel 2016 so fucking much.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Another theory about Mercedes: PU #3 is a bit too brutal when power is distributed to rear wheels and due to that they couldn't hit very narrow operating window on supersoft compound.

Kyougar

EDIT: I don't understand the whole "fuck the guys in the dominant team" thought process either, Mercedes (like Red Bull) fucking earned their success. Clamoring for Vettel to grab title five in six years is so backwards I just don't get it, he doesn't have anything to prove and people want him to actually be Schumacher 2.0?

That said, I would relish a straight up Hamilton vs. Vettel 2016 so fucking much.

Because Vettel and Ferrari would have earned it.

Would certainly make for one hell of a comeback.

However, if what was just said about the engine is true, Merc are going to brutalise everyone at Suzuka.

Fox Mulder

I'm sure Alonso goes to bed at night and thinks to himself "Driving for McLaren this year has been the best descision ever, I love this car and this team."

Sometimes people need a change. Vettel is obviously bringing some fresh air to the team, maybe both cars would be driving like kimi if alonso stayed.

John_B

Vettel has been performing close to optimal so far this season. I would still say in part to being completely unchallenged for the spot behind the Mercedes drivers. Raikkonen can not even manage to be in the spot right behind Vettel and the Ferrari is best of the rest by a clear margin.

Saying he has earned the championship 3/4 into the season in third place seems a bit overstated.

It would be exciting with a three way battle to the end, but we'll find out soon enough if that will be a possibility.

herod

Like I said before, the biggest loss would be losing Toro Rosso and the junior program. But no one would lose sleep over the main team leaving the sport.

well, the sport will be poorer for losing a top team, but it is excelling at shooting itself in the foot over and over recently so this wouldn't come as much of a surprise at all. My main hope is this kind of thing accelerates the necessary changes to stop it being such a farcical procession season after season.

Kyougar

And Hamilton/Mercedes haven't?

They completely earned 2014. But, if they only win the WDC with a margin of less of 25 points, they probably earned it less as the Team that clawed its way from underdog to possible WDC Candidate.

Lets put it that way:
2014 earned with blood and sweat the years prior.
If they win 2015: just a continuation of 2014 and their fuckups would be more remembered instead of their flawless victories.
If Ferrari wins miracously 2015: they fucking earned it.

NHale

VW will bounce back. Toyota got so much negative press during the acceleration issues they had and they've mostly bounced back (no facts/data to back this up). It won't be overnight but they will be back to 'normal' in 6 months to a year. People forgive/forget.

However shareholders will not forget the huge fine their company will have to pay.

andshrew

They completely earned 2014. But, if they only win the WDC with a margin of less of 25 points, they probably earned it less as the Team that clawed its way from underdog to possible WDC Candidate.

Lets put it that way:
If they win 2015: just a continuation of 2014 and their fuckups would be more remembered instead of their flawless victories.

This such a bizarre view.

Whoever ends up winning will have earned it having been the best team over 19 races.

Ty4on

The acceleration issue was mostly made up, this was admitted to being done on purpose.

Audi took years to bounce back in the US after the 5000 incidents.

This is much much worse, from a financial perspective.

Ark

Lets put it that way:

v

This such a bizarre view.

Whoever ends up winning will have earned it having been the best team over 19 races.

Pretty much what I'd say.

This is not a joke: Barrichello confirmed to drive a Renault.

20595834942_0637ecb68d_o.jpg

Sorry, it was a joke. :c

I really like that Renault livery. I hope they run it again in F1.

yami4ct

This is much much worse, from a financial perspective.

Since they were doing this purposefully over a long time, I'm sure they've been squirreling away extra cash to pay potential fines. That's something that you see companies caught doing shady stuff pull quite a bit. It'll still hurt like hell, tank their stock for a bit and hurt their reputation. Since this is an air quality thing and not a safety thing I kind of doubt it'll hurt consumer views that much, at least in the US. Consumers sadly don't really care about emissions.

Shaneus

Since they were doing this purposefully over a long time, I'm sure they've been squirreling away extra cash to pay potential fines. That's something that you see companies caught doing shady stuff pull quite a bit. It'll still hurt like hell, tank their stock for a bit and hurt their reputation. Since this is an air quality thing and not a safety thing I kind of doubt it'll hurt consumer views that much, at least in the US. Consumers sadly don't really care about emissions.
Any idea how long it's been happening for? I was under the impression it was only very recent, but that was only from how things were put, not what anyone actually said.

yami4ct

Any idea how long it's been happening for? I was under the impression it was only very recent, but that was only from how things were put, not what anyone actually said.

From what I've seen, it's been at least since 2009. 5/6 years is a long time to squirrel away cash, especially if you are investing it now so it grows by the time you get caught.

Zeknurn

Current weather forecast:

All three practice sessions will be in the wet.
It will likely clear up before qualifying.
Race will be in the dry with temperatures as high as 25C

Couple of quotes:

Byron Young ‏@byronf1 2h2 hours ago
Fernando Alonso on his involvement in F1 after his GP career is over: "You'll never see me in the paddock again." #fencesitter #f1 #champ

Adam Cooper ‏@adamcooperF1 1h1 hour ago
'@LewisHamilton says 16 years of #F1 for @JensonButton is "pretty hardcore." Sounds like HAM is not planning to stay around for so long

Sainz reckons that his chances of having a better future in Formula 1 rely on him showing that he is a team player.

"You always have to show a bit of selfishness if you really are a champion, but in my own opinion I think the best thing you can do is to listen to the team," he said.

"I'm a team player and I think I've showed it from the beginning.

"Every time the team asked me to do something I told them yes. At the end of the end I rely on these guys, on Red Bull, on Toro Rosso, and my future relies on them.

"So if I turn my back on them I know that I'm not going to go anywhere.

"I think I've behaved, but when I need to be selfish I will be, but so far I've never had the opportunity to show it because I've trusted them and every time they've called for a swap I've done it."

He said he has swapped positions with Verstappen three times this year following a team request.

"In Malaysia, on the last stint when Max overtook me, it was not an overtake, I let him by. And everybody was 'Ohh, what a great move'. I let him by.

"Then in Monaco I moved out too.

"There was another one that I don't remember now, but there was one more."

Top Bottom