• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

TCRS

Banned
This. Is he really as good as his reputation seems to demand? He's been at two top teams (McClown the first time around) and he's not won a championship.

Perhaps can only happen with a Briatore safety car.

Edgy, but a grain of truth?

did you not watch the race? look what he did with that shitbox, defending lap after lap. one small mistake is all he made and then the position was gone with no chance of ever catching up because of that meme engine. that's why the frustration and outburst.

Lego Boss

did you not watch the race? look what he did with that shitbox, defending lap after lap. one small mistake is all he made and then the position was gone with no chance of ever catching up because of that meme engine. that's why the frustration and outburst.

Yes, but he had top equipment before and couldn't win WDC. Got beaten by a rookie in 2007.

Just saying and wondering why he gets all the kudos when he should have won other titles in good equipment.

Just throwing it out there . . .

Shouldn't a Kimi fan be more forgiving of a guy venting via team radio?

umm.. no! it's not the same. making fun of your team and your engine in their homerace? that's a bit deliberate and not an innocent slip while he was pissed

A samurai knows what he says all the time

umm.. no! it's not the same. making fun of your team and your engine in their homerace? that's a bit deliberate and not an innocent slip while he was pissed

A samurai knows what he says all the time

But it was the truth and the Honda big wigs needed to hear it. Maybe now, they will fire the man heading up their F1 program.

Clearly Alonso should know better when he knows team radio can be aired, but the people deciding what to air and what not to air have a lot of responsibility. Sure, the situation with McLaren Honda is plain for all to see, but do comments like that need to be made public for the sake of entertainment?

frontieruk

But it was the truth and the Honda big wigs needed to hear it. Maybe now, they will fire the man heading up their F1 program.

I seriously doubt the bigwigs hadn't been aware of the mocking that their entry into F1 was taking, they'd monitor results and news sources none of which would reflect any sort of success, it's not like an F1 entry is a cheap endevor they could just throw money at and not expect ROI, they need their engines to been seen in a positive light not the quagmire that's surrounded their engine, its reliability and the fact a car powered by a Renault engine without KERS can pass by and disappear into the distance.

sam777

Yes, but he had top equipment before and couldn't win WDC. Got beaten by a rookie in 2007.

Just saying and wondering why he gets all the kudos when he should have won other titles in good equipment.

Apart from 2007 and possibly 2010 what other years did he have good equipment?

Zeknurn

Goodwood Cars of the Future is on ITV4 right now. It's showing the future of racing and will talk about F1, Formula E, Indy Car, WEC etc. I spotted Stewart, Webber, Horner, Newey interviews in the intro.

andshrew

Exactly, and with the benefit of hindsight he certainly made some bad career decisions too. If he'd been able to keep his head in 2007 he should have won, and would have had a WDC winning car in 2008.

I think he's missed the boat on another WDC. Even if he sticks it out for 3 years and the Honda becomes competitive the biggest risk is that by that point Button has retired and McLaren have put someone like Vandoorne in the second seat. I think there would be a genuine chance a 2007 repeat with him unable to deal with a competitive team mate again (in particular another home grown McLaren driver).

This era very much belongs to Vettel and Hamilton and I expect they'll have 8 WDC between them by 2017.

Mastah

Yeah, that is a great question. Why drivers themselves and team principals rated Alonso many times as the best driver on the grid?

Fernando is higly intelligent and he knew what he was saying. Lashing it out on team radio isn't the nicest thing to do, sure, but something has to be changed, because current situation is unacceptable.

We are talking about 2 great drivers being passed easily in places no other car is overtaken. They indeed look like amateurs, we all know what is the cause of that, but somehow Honda is thinking they are not to blame? They're spewing bullshit about fighting for podiums before Silverstone, about matching Ferrari power with Spa upgrade, about McLaren chassis not being the best out there. Is there any fucking doubt to anyone who watched race like today what's the truth?

Where's any progress from Honda? Alonso was legit 11th in Bahrain and would be in the points in Spain if not for brake failure and here we are, 10 races later, and without misfortunes of Perez, Ricciardo and Massa, that would be P14, only beating Saubers and Marussias, lol :(

Lego Boss

Not this again.

Has it been discussed before? Apologies if so. I'm not being controversial for the sake of it, l'm genuinely interedted as to why a driver who has not won a title for a decade AND has poisoned every team he has been with (bar Renault) is granted legendary status.

It's a genuine conundrum for me.

Yeah, that is a great question. Why drivers themselves and team principals rated Alonso many times as the best driver on the grid?
Because hes been the best all around racer in the sport since Schumacher's first retirement. Dude's been around for a decade and a half , had a spectacular clash with Schumacher in 06 and almost won the WDC against a better car twice. (2010,2012)

spuckthew

This era very much belongs to Vettel and Hamilton and I expect they'll have 8 WDC between them by 2017.

I'm just bitter that, barring a race here or there, they've never really been true rivals to each other. It's almost fairytale-like, though: both started in the same year (Ham has like 9 races on Vet as he only came in as a reserve driver after Kubica's crash), and they have almost all but two championships between them since their debut year.

I so badly want Ham and Vet to have similarly performing cars...It would be spectacular.

Has it been discussed before? Apologies if so. I'm not being controversial for the sake of it, l'm genuinely interedted as to why a driver who has not won a title for a decade AND has poisoned every team he has been with (bar Renault) is granted legendary status.

It's a genuine conundrum for me.

He harmed that team the most after the crashgate. And if anyone believes that he had nothing to do with it, he's in denial

Because hes been the best all around racer in the sport since Schumacher's first retirement. Dude's been around for a decade and a half , had a spectacular clash with Schumacher in 06 and almost won the WDC against a better car twice. (2010,2012)

I'd give you 2012 but not 2010. The car was a title challenger from the get go. He screwed up few times and lost some valuable points

This is F1. You don't always get a chance to have a good car to win, so once you do, it's time to show your true worth.

w1GePQy.gif
dave-chappelle-29.gif

Cold blooded.

Where's any progress from Honda?

How are they supposed to make any meaningful performance step when they're not allowed? Honda requested to change components earlier in the season but the FIA refused them, I think Mercedes objected to the changing of the turbo? The retarded token system has killed them. The tokens they've spent this season have been for next season, as will the remaining ones, the whole thing is fucking backwards.

dubc35

How are they supposed to make any meaningful performance step when they're not allowed? Honda requested to change components earlier in the season but the FIA refused them, I think Mercedes objected to the changing of the turbo? The retarded token system has killed them. The tokens they've spent this season have been for next season, as will the remaining ones, the whole thing is fucking backwards.
I need to research the token system more but why wouldn't Honda have used them all by now, or be close to using them all? The tokens are on an annual basis I assume?

Not objecting to anything you've posted, more trying to add on to a similar topic

That's what happens when you let teams influence the rules of the sport.

I cannot name one sport that allows that. Could be wrong though..

Mastah

But they are allowed. Just like Mercedes and Ferrari spent their tokens and actually improved power unit performance and just like Renault, which improved reliability without using any. Meanwhile Honda is overtaken left, right and centre by anyone, the same as at the start of this season. It's not like 2014 when any development was banned in-season.

I very clearly remember Boullier saying after Silverstone if they can unlock all the power in existing power unit, they can gain 1-1.5 second and fight for positions 6-8. Yeah, that happened at Suzuka or in Singapore.

Mind you I think new manufacturers should be given bigger leeway in their first season, but it doesn't change the fact how awful job Honda is doing.

I do not understand Honda, why they didn't used a mule car to test the engine on track...

Exactly. They could've done what Ferrari did.

sV8OqCq.jpg

Honda could've used the new NSX instead.

Or do what they announced a while ago and test the engine in their damn Super Formula cars.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Looks like Bernie has some problems with 2016 calendar. Season could start earlier than announced and summer break is gone. Testing would be held in February, last test can be on 7th March (Auto motor und sport)

Proposed calendar:

20.03 Melbourne
03.04 Bahrain
17.04 China
01.05 Russia
15.05 Spain
29.05 Monaco
12.06 Canada
26.06 Great Britain
03.07 Austria
17.07 Azerbaidjan
31.07 Germany
07.08 Hungary
04.09 Belgium
11.09 Italy
25.09 Singapore
02.10 Japan
16.10 USA
30.10 Mexico
06.11 Brazil
20.11 Malaysia
27.11 Abu Dhabi

Toto proposed 3 car teams, should Red Bull leave the sport. Oh boy.

Looks like Bernie has some problems with 2016 calendar. Season could start earlier than announced and summer break is gone. Testing would be held in February, last test can be on 7th March (Auto motor und sport)

Proposed calendar:

20.03 Melbourne
03.04 Bahrain
17.04 China
01.05 Russia
15.05 Spain
29.05 Monaco
12.06 Canada
26.06 Great Britain
03.07 Austria
17.07 Azerbaidjan
31.07 Germany
07.08 Hungary
04.09 Belgium
11.09 Italy
25.09 Singapore
02.10 Japan
16.10 USA
30.10 Mexico
06.11 Brazil
20.11 Malaysia
27.11 Abu Dhabi

There has to be a race or two that gets canceled.

Zeknurn

I'm sure he's salivating at the thought of Mercedes getting every position on a podium for a whole season.

However, if he gets it passed, Mercedes should be forced to put Maldonado in the third car.

Aiii

So not worth it

Three car teams should have been a thing years ago already. Exclusive to rookie drivers (no more than 1 full season of F1 experience, ensuring only drivers with 2 seasons max. ge a drive), they should need an exclusive livery to that car and the car shouldn't count for the constructors championship. In addition, there should be a special cup for the rookie driver with the most points as a Rookie of the Year award.

It would be nice to have more cars on the grid, it should make for a way more interesting race when there's more potential overtakes and other shenanigans on the track at any given time. Aside from that, it allows rookie drivers a shot at F1, like a Frijns or a Stoffel Vandoorne, that are in danger of missing the boat due to teams not simply not having a seat for them in the limited window in which they can make F1 before they're deemed too old.

Wether Red Bull leaves or not (they won't), third driver rookie cars should be a thing.

Since I missed the post-race interview yesterday, I had a good chuckle when I read the transcript of the last question.

Q: (Andrea Cremonesi – La Gazzetta dello Sport) For all of you: some of your colleagues yesterday were worried about the tyre pressures. They said there was too much pressure and they were worried they might have some problems during the race. Have you been affected in the race by that?

NR: No, not at all. Everything was perfect. No problems at all.

SV: Were you low again? I’m joking. You can laugh as well. It was a joke, come on.

NR: I’m smiling!

Aiii

So not worth it
Since I missed the post-race interview yesterday, I had a good chuckle when I read the transcript of the last question.

Q: (Andrea Cremonesi – La Gazzetta dello Sport) For all of you: some of your colleagues yesterday were worried about the tyre pressures. They said there was too much pressure and they were worried they might have some problems during the race. Have you been affected in the race by that?

NR: No, not at all. Everything was perfect. No problems at all.

SV: Were you low again? I’m joking. You can laugh as well. It was a joke, come on.

NR: I’m smiling!

It was super awkward, nobody got the joke and Vettel got really uncomfortable.

Mastah

Tobias Grüner F1 ‏@tgruener 3m3 minutes ago

Marko on engines: They tried to play with us. But we dont play that game. Its an insult to offer 2015 engines when Sauber/Haas get 2016 PUs.

Again, it's their own fault. And I'm not talking about the shit talking towards Renault, but Horner himself said that he's seen the roadmap for the Renault engine and had no faith in it. They should've looked for the replacement much, much earlier.
Is it too late for them to buy Cosworth?

stryke

Going to be absolutely livid if Ricciardo doesn't get a drive next year. He said he doesn't have a manager, well he should start looking for one.

Zeknurn

Only Bernie can save this situation now.

Interesting tidbit:
Rules blockade

Red Bull's isolation over engines has left it in a corner, and with little hope of being able to persuade Ferrari to change its approach.

However, it could yet hold a joker, for a push by Ferrari to allow in-season engine development next year requires unanimous support to happen.

Without it, Ferrari would have to join other manufacturers in ensuring that their engines are fully homologated by February 28.

Red Bull could choose to block a rule change, thereby ensuring that Ferrari's 2016 engine cannot get further advanced during the campaign over what it has so-far been offered.

However, such a stance would not go down well in terms of getting the relationship with Ferrari off to a good start.
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-bull-accuses-ferrari-of-playing-games/

hamchan

Going to be absolutely livid if Ricciardo doesn't get a drive next year. He said he doesn't have a manager, well he should start looking for one.

This. Dude deserves to drive in a top tier car.

Anyways RBR leaving wouldn't surprise me. Mateschitz doesn't want old engines. He wants to be competitive.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm not worried about RB leaving, really, it's all just grand posturing and bs politics from every side.

They'll be there, with 2016 engines, no doubt.

Who can blame Red Bull for spending some much money (plus the Austrian GP) only to be trolled hard by Ferrari?

Ferrari are acting like cunts.

Top Bottom