• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

tomtom94

What engines are lotus using at the moment? Theyve been doing well, seems a shame for them to have to use Renault engines next year.

They've been using Mercedes engines, but they're struggling to beat Force India even now and Toro Rosso could overtake them too. I reckon there's a distinct possibility Renault will just write next year off and start work on the 2017 chassis right away (like Honda did in 2008, and we all know what happened next...)

Arai comments post Japan, google translate

racing at Suzuka:

- This is a very special race for Honda. And besides, this is the toughest circuit in the world, both for the car and for the driver, so yes some pressure that I felt. Even before coming here we knew we were going to have problems with power management engine.

communication with McLaren / being savaged by the UK gutter press:

- The communication is very good, better every day. So I do not quite understand the harassment and demolition I have suffered lately, especially in Monza, where I was subjected to third degree. Honda is aware of the difference between us and the top teams, we know what we are about and work to stop. I am sorry that we all take the blame us, it's sad.

feeling supported by McLaren:

- From the technical point of view, yes. But, I return to Monza, the acrimony of the press should not have reached that level. Of course we are disappointed, but that negativity does not help.

about matching Ferrari PU:

- I am an engineer, and from that point of view I have access to the data. What happens is that, as a team, then we do not get the expected results. I am honest with the data that I offer, I can prove everything I say, but also understand that if the overall performance does not fit, there are people who think that not telling the truth. When I talked about catching up with Ferrari, I was referring only to the power of the combustion engine.

preferred to return to F1 in 2016 instead of this season:

- From a technical point of view, yes, because these power units are very complex. We knew it would be very difficult but at the same time, being here in 2015 has allowed us to learn a lot. But again, all is not the responsibility of the engine, also part of the chassis it is suffering a lot.

main PU problem:

- In the ERS. In circuits with long straights, the extra power collapses, and that means we lose about 160 horses. That loss is far greater than what we can gain from the combustion engine. From a technical point of view we would have preferred to return next season, but we learn a lot by being here

what's needed to solve these problems:

- Solving our problems this year will be difficult because they require a redesign of the engine. We already work with a view to next season.

how would you convince fans of McLaren that the situation will be different in 2016?

- I think we can do that in the preseason.

do the regulations offer sufficient margin to turn around this situation:

- Yes, there will be no problem with that. It will be difficult to troubleshoot the ERS before next year because we need to redesign the engine.

on king cunt snapping:

- I think it was encouragement towards us. He simply felt like that. A professional driver cannot be gentle enough to just accept it when overtaken, so he's just right.

On RBR: they are reaping what they've sown all along, there are ways and ways of making your frustration known to your bussiness partners, for some bizzarre reason RBR thought they could snap in a completely unprofessional manner and other engine manufacturers would be begging to sign an engine deal? I felt they had much more future with an in house austrian engine developer exclusive to them (I read that somewhere), as it is right now they better get the best deal they can with the best supplier possible, bite the customer bullet and start working on the chassis or you know GTFO. Also this whole debacle of TV coverage time seems so childish it's bordering on ridiculous.

On a breakaway series: Haven't we had this discussion before in early-mid 2000s when a group of disgruntled manufacturer teams (Mclaren and williams, there where others but i can't recall) where threatening to break away and form a rival "Grand Prix" series?... That fizzled out, then there was A1 which came and went, same thing for GP Masters. Difference is the threat back then had more weight because there where several teams threatening to quit, this time around RBR is all alone within the F1 paddock.

On Honda: Full engine redesign? that sounds major although it might seem the more logical step, keeping what worked and reworking areas that just proved too difficult.

Shaneus

Have to wonder what could've been if they'd held off another 12 months. McL might not've fought for the lead, but at least they would've had consistent top 10 finishes (and had a chance to see how Alonso would've gone).

Because Mercedes are better with their aero?

Remember Brawn? and engine more or less taped to the back of that Honda and ripped everyone else apart.

Very risky for Ferrari imho

EDIT: plus, All the other teams that have Mercedes engines don't have even half the budget so they're not really a big risk. They can always outdevelop them during the season

Hold on now. Brawn had an aerodynamic advantage the first half of 2009. Once that dissipated in the second half of the season, they were the second and sometimes third or fourth best car on the grid.

Hold on now. Brawn had an aerodynamic advantage the first half of 2009. Once that dissipated in the second half of the season, they were the second and sometimes third or fourth best car on the grid.
They didn't have the budget to upgrade the car and when they did Button went through his no grip and I can't heat up the tires phase. The car was still good considering that Reubens won twice? if I'm not mistaken.

I find the Honda situation to be hilarious, given that a year ago many in these this thread were claiming the year of development would give them an advantage. Weren't they going to use McLaren's experience with the Mercedes engine to help build a monster powerplant? Ha!

Honda's recent history in the sport has been less than stellar. There was no reason to expect anything more than what we've seen from them. I'm so glad Lewis got out of that clown show when he did. Literally a career-defining decision.

As for Red Bull, it's hard to feel pity. They dominated with Renault. They should be willing to suffer with them as well. The goose that laid the golden eggs sometimes needs to take a breather.

yami4ct

So Renault finally confirmed its intent to buy Lotus. Hope everything works out.

Re: RBR. The trouble isn't their attitude. No manufacturer is ever going to want to give them a competitive engine. It doesn't matter that they shit talked Renault or the deals Ferrari has offered. The last thing a works team wants is a customer that could beat them. Their only hope is that the FIA sees enough value in them and can somehow work something on their behalf, which I think will happen. They're silly if they think they'll get an A spec engine, but they'll be on the grid next year with a Ferrari 2016 engine.

I find the Honda situation to be hilarious, given that a year ago many in these this thread were claiming the year of development would give them an advantage. Weren't they going to use McLaren's experience with the Mercedes engine to help build a monster powerplant? Ha!

Honda's recent history in the sport has been less than stellar. There was no reason to expect anything more than what we've seen from them. I'm so glad Lewis got out of that clown show when he did. Literally a career-defining decision.

As for Red Bull, it's hard to feel pity. They dominated with Renault. They should be willing to suffer with them as well. The goose that laid the golden eggs sometimes needs to take a breather.
Funny enough it's the 3 year anniversary of Lewis leaving that shit show

Shaneus

So Renault finally confirmed its intent to buy Lotus. Hope everything works out.

Re: RBR. The trouble isn't their attitude. No manufacturer is ever going to want to give them a competitive engine. It doesn't matter that they shit talked Renault or the deals Ferrari has offered. The last thing a works team wants is a customer that could beat them. Their only hope is that the FIA sees enough value in them and can somehow work something on their behalf, which I think will happen. They're silly if they think they'll get an A spec engine, but they'll be on the grid next year with a Ferrari 2016 engine.
I can see this happening. Horner's pretty chummy with Bernie anyway, yes? Maybe Bernie retires, Horner (as favourite to replace him) swoops in, gives all of the moneys to RBR to help Danny win WDC in 2016 with a floating car that does 1 minute laps around Monza.

Agreed.

I think they'd be happy with a customer engine deal like the Mercedes teams have. Since Haas is getting junior team treatment, I think it's fine that RB is over-asking for the same type of semi-works deal. Ferrari responded with a 2015 engine, and they'll land somewhere in the middle. I think Sauber has a poor man's deal, so I don't think they really want to settle for that either.

Which could be the case with Redbull. But the difference is that they have all the means and more to keep that advantage and increase it even

Redbull should suck it up, accept the Ferrari 2015 engines, buy Cosworth and focus on 2017

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Haas driver announcement today.

Grosjean seems likely to drive for them next year, but maybe they'll announce the other driver first. Vergne? Gutierrez? Rossi? Marciello?

Zeknurn

We all knew it was coming

Formula 1's governance structure and prize money system is set to be investigated by the European Union, after Sauber and Force India lodged an official complaint on anti-competition grounds.

The move is believed to be aimed at several key issues, including that only the big teams have a say in F1's Strategy Group and that the prize money structure is weighted heavily in favour of the front-running outfits.

A statement from Force India said: "Sahara Force India is one of two teams to have registered a complaint with the European Union questioning the governance of Formula 1 and showing that the system of dividing revenues and determining how Formula 1's rules are set is both unfair and unlawful.
'

edit: Beaten like Alonso

yami4ct

Good on the small teams for stepping up and reporting this, but I have a feeling Bernie is going to make their lives harder in the immediate future because of it.

Zeknurn

Remember when Bernie was on trial for bribery, we thought he'd get charged, it would be his downfall and then he just paid his way out and nothing happened?

Good times.

There's a big difference between the corrupt courts of Germany and the European Commission with Vestager at the helm.

tomtom94

Story in the Daily Mirror that Button might move to Renault, probably just a fabrication by Button's representatives to drive a harder bargain with Mclaren but you never know.

itsgreen

Story in the Daily Mirror that Button might move to Renault, probably just a fabrication by Button's representatives to drive a harder bargain with Mclaren but you never know.

Is there a bargain to do? McLaren has an option to NOT take him for 2016... Ron Dennis said they aren't going to execute it... Button is going nowhere... which is kind of fitting cause McLaren also is going nowhere...

tomtom94

Is there a bargain to do? McLaren has an option to NOT take him for 2016... Ron Dennis said they aren't going to execute it... Button is going nowhere... which is kind of fitting cause McLaren also is going nowhere...

I seem to remember reading that Mclaren want Button to take a pay cut because they're losing sponsorship next year, could be wrong though.

minnie.gif

Aiii

So not worth it
I'd watch the fuck out of a Bernie Ecclestone Reality Show.

Keeping up with Ecclestone needs to be a thing.

So I got to do the Single Seater experience at Silverstone, bloody amazing and would highly recommend. I messed up my lines a lot and knocked the gear stick out while changing gears a coupel times, man i want to go again! I know I could knock two seconds off my time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjC3WOis6yg&feature=youtu.be

Nice! Too bad you were constantly catching traffic, but I guess that's the nature of the beast.

Top Bottom