• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
@NobleF1
More breaking news: Manor confirms switch to Mercedes engines for 2016

Hopefully that means Wehrlein gets a seat. Might be a nice place for Vandoorne as well.

Definitely a blow for Ferrari, but I'm sure that Haas as a B-Team with current engines is way more helpful. Still rooting for Manor, though.

Jezbollah

Kinda surprising Button is staying. Wonder what they offered him.

Considering he had an option for this year, I would suspect a shit ton of assurances that next year wouldnt be another basketcase.

@NobleF1
More breaking news: Manor confirms switch to Mercedes engines for 2016

Hopefully that means Wehrlein gets a seat. Might be a nice place for Vandoorne as well.

I would love that team.

Zeknurn

@adamcooperF1: Confirmation too that @ManorF1Team will have current year Merc power units and Petronas fuel, so quite a package
@adamcooperF1: '@ManorF1Team will also have @WilliamsRacing gearboxes and, crucially, suspension components - almost a mix & match Haas deal...
@adamcooperF1: An incredible 2016 package for @ManorF1Team - but a @MercedesAMGF1 driver might not be part of the deal: http://t.co/6c4bSOB9lW

It might get lonely at the back for Haas.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Looks like a Haas style deal for Manor with WIlliams supplied gearbox & suspension components too.
The wording is kinda vague but is it curent year engines (2015) Mercedes engine for Manor or full 2016 spec like WIlliams & Force India?

Risgroo

A 2015 Merc should be worth something like 1-1.5 seconds over a 2014 Ferrari unit, right? Manor could make a decent step next year if they've been working on their new car for a while.

Zeknurn

I guess it's do or die for Lotus Renault now.

Yup:
@adamcooperF1: Merc's Andy Cowell: "This new agreement should enable us to keep our supply roster at 3 customer teams for 2016, which is our ideal level"
@adamcooperF1: Toto Wolff: "In anticipation of Renault’s takeover of the Lotus F1 Team, we are pleased to announce Manor Marussia..."

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't think it's the 2015 engine, since they're essentially replacing Lotus, but who knows? It all comes down to costs and I don't even know where Manor is getting their money from these days.

kharma45

Manor should be a great package next year. Good engine and fuel (unlike say McLaren who ran Esso with their Merc engine) and Williams stuff should be good. Frees up more time for them then to focus on other areas of the car.

Looks like a Haas style deal for Manor with WIlliams supplied gearbox & suspension components too.
The wording is kinda vague but is it curent year engines (2015) Mercedes engine for Manor or full 2016 spec like WIlliams & Force India?

If they're going to become essentially a feeder team you'd expect 2016 engines

Edit

Under the agreement Manor F1 Team will be supplied with current-year Mercedes-Benz F1 Power Units throughout the term

https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/status/649510075061637120

Edit 2 for clarification

We will be targeting gains in both performance and reliability for the 2016 Power Unit and look forward to delivering those to our new customers at Manor Marussia F1 Team

http://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/news/2015/2015-manor-marussia-f1-team-announcement/

What's the point of GP2?

What's the point of winning championships if you're not an engine manufacturer? Manor can get any PU they want, yet Red Bull can't.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Wonder if Red Bull is considering Honda engines.

Please stop laughing, bear with me...

Honda's problems are certainly made much worse by the fact that engine testing and development is highly restricted. Maybe they have a convincing roadmap, more substantial than Arai's PR bullshit, for 2016/2017 that looks better than getting B-spec engines from Ferrari.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
@adamcooperF1
'@AlguersuariJA has just announced that he's retiring from racing, aged 25.

Damn, I guess those health issues are more serious than we thought.

EDIT: Or disenchantment with motorsport.
@adamcooperF1 '@AlguersuariJA retirement an example of career burnout as drivers start younger - too much too soon, and what to do when F1 drops you?
Gonna focus on music instead.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
That's sounds bad. Hopefully it's not something too critical. :-/

Aiii

So not worth it

Honda's problems are certainly made much worse by the fact that engine testing and development is highly restricted. Maybe they have a convincing roadmap, more substantial than Arai's PR bullshit, for 2016/2017 that looks better than getting B-spec engines from Ferrari.

There is definitely a point where Honda is gonna get their shit together and have a proper competitive engine. But it won't be next year. So yeah, you could consider Honda engines, but it will be a gamble and you'd have to wait at least a year or maybe more to get those results. That's a big loss for any team.

If you can get Ferrari engines for a year or two, and then make the switch to Honda when their engines are in order, would be better for any team involved.

Mastah

Damn, I guess those health issues are more serious than we thought.

That's sounds bad. Hopefully it's not something too critical. :-/

Or not:

After the health scare, Alguersuari underwent several medical tests, but he said in a press conference on Thursday that nothing wrong was found and that he was fine.

"I need a change," Alguersuari said during a press conference in Madrid.

"I've lost my love for this girlfriend. I'm 25 and I've decided to start a new chapter."

"Nowadays I don't belong in racing, but I can't say it's the end either."

http://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/alguersuari-announces-retirement-from-racing/

Fox Mulder

Honda could probably use another team to help with development, I doubt Renault will get any better just with lotus now too.

JJJJJJJJJJJJEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!

Mobil 1 The Grid ‏@grid1tv

"For me, the exciting year is 2017. With more mechanical grip, @F1 is gonna be mega." – @JensonButton. @McLarenF1 #F1

Got a new contract to include 2017?

What's the point of GP2?

So the tail end F1 teams can find money bags.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
@NobleF1

Wehrlein seat is part of the deal with Mercedes,according to insiders

Even with current incarnation of 2015 engine (talking about Mercedes PU #3 or #4) Manor could do very well next season. Mercedes could bring 2016 engine in the middle of the season to them.

Wehrlein seat is part of the deal with Mercedes,according to insiders

Even with current incarnation of 2015 engine (talking about Mercedes PU #3 or #4) Manor could do very well next season. Mercedes could bring 2016 engine in the middle of the season to them.
Aren't the current engines Mercedes is using prototype 2016 engines that only they are using?

At the moment, yeah.
Does anybody think any of the customer teams are going to be getting these? Cause I would assume the works team is keeping these under lock and key for specific reasons. Unless Williams got these to try to act as a buffer zone for Merc and Ferrari.

Ark

Does anybody think any of the customer teams are going to be getting these? Cause I would assume the works team is keeping these under lock and key for specific reasons. Unless Williams got these to try to act as a buffer zone for Merc and Ferrari.

Their contracts are likely just for the relevant spec engine for that year and it would seem to be, at this stage, less reliable than the 2015 spec engine they had earlier in the year so unless something crazy happens I wouldn't expect anything like that.

But as always in F1, fucking anything could happen :D

DrM

Redmond's Baby

I think the main problem is in fuel and lubricants, because Williams is not using Petronas stuff, but their own fuels and lubricants from Petrobras. On this front Mercedes and Petronas made a step forward and they expect even bigger gains for next season.

I could be wrong though.

Their contracts are likely just for the relevant spec engine for that year and it would seem to be, at this stage, less reliable than the 2015 spec engine they had earlier in the year so unless something crazy happens I wouldn't expect anything like that.

But as always in F1, fucking anything could happen :D
Ok so contracts don't cover top secret prototype shit, but it's still better than Manor with 2014 Ferrari engines...even Sauber have the current engines, damn. I can only imagine how much fine print is in these F1 contracts. There's probably fine print within the fine print. Lawyers probably read them with electron microscopes.
I think the main problem is in fuel and lubricants, because Williams is not using Petronas stuff, but their own fuels and lubricants from Petrobras. On this front Mercedes and Petronas made a step forward and they expect even bigger gains for next season.

I could be wrong though.
Yeah the lubricants were revealed to be vital last year using McLaren and their Mobil 1 oil in the Mercedes engine. They were almost beaten by Force India...now they are beaten by Force India. Wondering when Bruce McLaren is going to haunt a press conference.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Securing Manor means that Mercedes has four teams under the roof, so for any additional team they would need a special grant from FIA. And it is quite a feat to take care for more than four teams.

Aiii

So not worth it
Millions from Indonesia?

Danish media says Magnussen is no longer a contracted McLaren driver, so that's his F1 career done and dusted.

His contract expired last month, he was already out of contention for the Button seat.

Stoffel however is stuck. I know I'm sounding like an old record, but goddamnit what a crying shame.

Ark

His contract expired last month, he was already out of contention for the Button seat.

Stoffel however is stuck. I know I'm sounding like an old record, but goddamnit what a crying shame.

He's not stuck. There's no point moving him into McLaren now, but if he's as good as we think he is, he'll make it into the sport for 2017 when the driver market shuffles around once more.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Manor will surely go for a driver with good financial backing. Unless Mercedes vouch a seat for Wehrlein, so they would only had to choose for one ...

Rumored, but not confirmed. But this is expected that Mercedes will want their reserve driver to get a chance. We will know in month or two...
I'm going to assume after Wehrlein is done with DTM this year they'll sit down and talk about it. I know they wanted to give him a Force India seat, but since those aren't available I could see him at Manor. What's the point of having a B team if you can't put your reserve drivers in a seat?

Top Bottom