• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Dilly

Banned
He's not stuck. There's no point moving him into McLaren now, but if he's as good as we think he is, he'll make it into the sport for 2017 when the driver market shuffles around once more.

No one cares about someone who won a GP2 championship in 2015 for the F1 driver market in 2017.

tomtom94

He's not stuck. There's no point moving him into McLaren now, but if he's as good as we think he is, he'll make it into the sport for 2017 when the driver market shuffles around once more.

Problem is the drivers' market won't shuffle around in 2017 because teams will want experienced drivers to help them through the transition to the new aero regs. And even then that wouldn't change the fact that Vandoorne could have graduated this season had Mclaren used some common sense.

TCRS

Banned
how did manor pull that off? great that they're trying to un-minardi themselves. not that I have anything against minardi, it was my favourite shit team.

Sky merging their F1 production teams across Europe from 2016 to save money - lol, the Premier League has put them in the poor house.

Also the rumored axing of the channel..

I don't think Sky will renew their F1 deal, they'll need every penny to try and stop the BT Juggernaut from getting the best Premier League packages.

tomtom94

Sky merging their F1 production teams across Europe from 2016 to save money - lol, the Premier League has put them in the poor house.

Also the rumored axing of the channel..

I don't think Sky will renew their F1 deal, they'll need every penny to try and stop the BT Juggernaut from getting the best Premier League packages.

I'd be very curious to know Sky's data on how many subscribers F1 has brought in for them. I suspect it's not many.

The real question is what happens once the deal lapses (2018) - are we going back to a single free-to-air broadcaster? Could BT jump in?

And there's the elephant in the room, of course - what if F1 took advantage of online distribution?

frontieruk

I'd be very curious to know Sky's data on how many subscribers F1 has brought in for them. I suspect it's not many.

The real question is what happens once the deal lapses (2018) - are we going back to a single free-to-air broadcaster? Could BT jump in?

And there's the elephant in the room, of course - what if F1 took advantage of online distribution?

I for one would prefer F1 on BT, I could cancel my sky sports sub at that point.

Mansell wouldn't even be able to get into a modern F1 car or meet the weight regulations
girdle-o.gif

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Only two preseason tests before 2016 season. Third was cancelled due to earlier start of the season in Australia

First test : 22nd to 25th February
Second test: 1st to 4th March

(Motorsport)

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Only two preseason tests before 2016 season. Third was cancelled due to earlier start of the season in Australia

First test : 22nd to 25th February
Second test: 1st to 4th March

(Motorsport)

The test limitations are getting a bit ridiculous.

Aiii

So not worth it
So lets pretend that testing was less restricted and teams were allowed several days of testing each month.

Would we have had a season like this with McLaren ahead and nobody ever able to catch up, or would the engine-limitations hamper any chance of Ferrari catching up, regardless?

Tokens should be handed out based on performance, so Mercedes get less tokens while Honda and Renault get the most.

If f1 is considered entertainment, then fuck technological progress.

dubc35

Tokens fuck everyone who didn't get it right first time basically.

Yep, this seems to be it...and given the decreasing tokens available per year it makes even more difficult to catch up.

I don't think the idea is broken but the implementation is. Maybe the full 66 tokens for the first two years then drop to 15 in the third year instead of the current 66-32-15 sequence.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Tokens should be handed out based on performance, so Mercedes get less tokens while Honda and Renault get the most.

If f1 is considered entertainment, then fuck technological progress.

Nice idea but how do you measure how much performance of the car can be attributed to the engine? It might be a better solution to add a couple of kg to a car for winning. 1st place has to add 5 kg, 2nd 3, 3rd 1. If you don't end up on the podium you can reduce your combined additional weights by 2 kg per race.

Jezbollah

Nice idea but how do you measure how much performance of the car can be attributed to the engine? It might be a better solution to add a couple of kg to a car for winning. 1st place has to add 5 kg, 2nd 3, 3rd 1. If you don't end up on the podium you can reduce your combined additional weights by 2 kg per race.

It'll surely be based upon results.

Points.

Ive defended Nig from haters and detractors on here before, but hes wrong about this. After Senna and Prost,the guy was probably the third most naturally gifted driver of the late 80s/early 90s era,but he didnt have those drivers focus and commitment. I think he would be pretty much like Kimi Raikkonen or Montoya in today's cars: bursts of brilliance every second or third race weekend, but maddening inconsistency and a lacklustre effort put toward sim work and car development.

Ive defended Nig from haters and detractors on here before, but hes wrong about this. After Senna and Prost,the guy was probably the third most naturally gifted driver of the late 80s/early 90s era,but he didnt have those drivers focus and commitment. I think he would be pretty much like Kimi Raikkonen or Montoya in today's cars: bursts of brilliance every second or third race weekend, but maddening inconsistency and a lacklustre effort put toward sim work and car development.
So pretty much he'd never be able to put together a modern championship campaign. So pretty much Mansell lucked into his only championship by being in an uber car with a lower tier teammate? So pretty much if he was teamed up with Prost in the 92 Williams it would've just been Prost's championship?

So pretty much he'd never be able to put together a modern championship campaign. So pretty much Mansell lucked into his only championship by being in an uber car with a lower tier teammate? So pretty much if he was teamed up with Prost in the 92 Williams it would've just been Prost's championship?

Nobody at the time thought Nig was an undeserving champion (unlike, say, Hill or Villeneuve) because hed built a reputation as a gifted driver well before in the 8 years prior.

In the 80s, he earned respect for having the measure of his fast yet classless cunt of a teammate who used every dirty trick in the book to try and destabilize him
(Incidentally Piquet was a top tier driver good enough to win 3 WDC titles, so its not like Nig hasnt proved himself against very formidable teammate )

He would have been the WDC in 86 if his tyre hadnt blown up and he probably would have won in 87 if he hadnt had the back injury late in the season.
He was the only driver who regularly challenged Senna's times in qualifying and one of the few drivers who would not back down from a fight with Ayrton.
He had awesome wet weather prowess (getting second place at Silverstone in 88 in a dog of car) and probably has more spectacular, balls to the wall overtaking maneuvers than any other driver in his era.
Therefore, by the early 90s, Nig was considered one of the top drivers on the grid and after years of misfortune and bad luck, nobody begrudged him a WDC that was practically gifted to him. Senna himself that season said Nig had elite skill and was a worthy WDC winner.

Having said all that, his attitude towards a car (just get in and drive the hell out of it) wouldnt work in today's era, because of all the work drivers have to put in off the track. Mansell would get in a car, rings its neck, then go play a round of golf over a race weekend. You could do that in his era because the cars were less complex, but today? We see whats happened with great drivers (Raikkonen) who dont put enough work in back at the factory.

Back to 2015 though, what do we think about FIA's exhaust/wastegate proposal for louder cars? And their claim that making that change mandatory wont fundamentally change the design of a car?

The Hulk says too much practice in F1: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121130

I would be interested in the cost comparison to cut a practice session or reduce practice sessions by X percentage and how that cost could be transferred to in or off season testing (track, wind tunnel, CFD, or otherwise).
Screw cost and skill. It would be a further hit to entertainment. Wasn't there a Sunday practice, once upon a time? I want to see the cars on track more, not less.

RayStorm

Screw cost and skill. It would be a further hit to entertainment. Wasn't there a Sunday practice, once upon a time? I want to see the cars on track more, not less.

You really find entertainment in the practice sessions? Personally I don't and agree with The incredible Hülk about reducing practice. I like a certain amount of chaos and unpredictability in my racing. And I feel that if drivers had less practice time (or even none at all) that would serve that goal very well. Alternatively you could reconfigure the practices as test sessions with the provision of not allowing the race day drivers in the car.

But then again I also liked the days of the randomly fast degrading Pirelli tyres for that very reason and find the idea of sprinklers to randomly create weather conditions not the most horrible idea either.

Nobody at the time thought Nig was an undeserving champion (unlike, say, Hill or Villeneuve) because hed built a reputation as a gifted driver well before in the 8 years prior.

In the 80s, he earned respect for having the measure of his fast yet classless cunt of a teammate who used every dirty trick in the book to try and destabilize him
(Incidentally Piquet was a top tier driver good enough to win 3 WDC titles, so its not like Nig hasnt proved himself against very formidable teammate )

He would have been the WDC in 86 if his tyre hadnt blown up and he probably would have won in 87 if he hadnt had the back injury late in the season.
He was the only driver who regularly challenged Senna's times in qualifying and one of the few drivers who would not back down from a fight with Ayrton.
He had awesome wet weather prowess (getting second place at Silverstone in 88 in a dog of car) and probably has more spectacular, balls to the wall overtaking maneuvers than any other driver in his era.
Therefore, by the early 90s, Nig was considered one of the top drivers on the grid and after years of misfortune and bad luck, nobody begrudged him a WDC that was practically gifted to him. Senna himself that season said Nig had elite skill and was a worthy WDC winner.

Having said all that, his attitude towards a car (just get in and drive the hell out of it) wouldnt work in today's era, because of all the work drivers have to put in off the track. Mansell would get in a car, rings its neck, then go play a round of golf over a race weekend. You could do that in his era because the cars were less complex, but today? We see whats happened with great drivers (Raikkonen) who dont put enough work in back at the factory.

Don't forget winning Indycar at the first attempt.

You really find entertainment in the practice sessions? Personally I don't and agree with The incredible Hülk about reducing practice. I like a certain amount of chaos and unpredictability in my racing. And I feel that if drivers had less practice time (or even none at all) that would serve that goal very well. Alternatively you could reconfigure the practices as test sessions with the provision of not allowing the race day drivers in the car.

But then again I also liked the days of the randomly fast degrading Pirelli tyres for that very reason and find the idea of sprinklers to randomly create weather conditions not the most horrible idea either.
We've gotten less track time with the ban on in-season testing. Cutting practice times would reduce that even further. F1 needs more action, not less. Practice isn't all that entertaining, but it's more entertaining than no practice. So I'm against Hulk on this.

RayStorm

We've gotten less track time with the ban on in-season testing. Cutting practice times would reduce that even further. F1 needs more action, not less. Practice isn't all that entertaining, but it's more entertaining than no practice. So I'm against Hulk on this.

The bolded seems unlikely and going by my memory of the past 20 years also not to be the case.

Interestingly however we do agree on the need for more action. But we do have the very opposite approach to what would give it to us.

For me practice brings so little entertainment that any minuscule amount of entertainment gained in qualifying or the race by eliminating practice would be more than worth it.

The bolded seems unlikely and going by my memory of the past 20 years also not to be the case.

Interestingly however we do agree on the need for more action. But we do have the very opposite approach to what would give it to us.

For me practice brings so little entertainment that any minuscule amount of entertainment gained in qualifying or the race by eliminating practice would be more than worth it.
Advantage would just shift to ghee teams with the better car advantage and simulators. I'm not really convinced Hulk's idea is well thought out, and I don't expect it to get much backing. I don't want to sacrifice track time just to shuffle the midfield. I like Hulk, but I'm not sure he's going to gain more than a grid spot or two in a car demonstrably slower than the cars ahead. At the sharp end, you'd have Lewis and Seb annihilating their teammates with impunity, without creating much of a change in podium composition. I think we can agree to disagree on this topic.

I don't think F1 has much flexibility in regards to practice. I think the primary reason we have so much is to sell Friday and Saturday tickets, and weekend passes. If those days are significantly devalued, expect to see the lost revenue absorbed by the race day ticket. Who'd like to see race tickets increase in price? Nobody. Race promoters don't want it, therefore Bernie doesn't want it.

Merino

So Toro Rosso apparently getting 2015 Ferrari motors;
http://www.f1today.net/nl/nieuws/205613/ferrari-nieuwe-motorleverancier-toro-rosso
(dutch source)

Such a shame for this car with it's great aero package. Prolly going to be on the back of the grid with the McLaren's now that Manor is getting 2016 Mercedes PU's en Haas with their 2016 Ferrari PU's.

What a crap formula this is heading too. Poor wonderboy is going to have to fight even harder for his overtakes next year :(

Zeknurn

http://www.f1today.net/nl/nieuws/205613/ferrari-nieuwe-motorleverancier-toro-rosso
(dutch source)

Such a shame for this car with it's great aero package. Prolly going to be on the back of the grid with the McLaren's now that Manor is getting 2016 Mercedes PU's en Haas with their 2016 Ferrari PU's.

What a crap formula this is heading too. Poor wonderboy is going to have to fight even harder for his overtakes next year :(

Don't forget Lotus Renault.

(dutch source)

They're finally back to being Minardi tier, only thing that needs to happen is to get Alonso on the team and the cycle is complete.

So Red Bull accepted the 2015 engines for Toro Rosso and are still negotiating for the main team? Seeing how they were beaten by TR few times this year, it wouldn't surprise me to give them the weaker package.

Top Bottom