• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Mastah

Ferrari could use remaining engine tokens for Austin:

It is understood the design of the update will relocate some of the engine ancillaries, like oil tank and MGU-K, to help make a narrower rear of the car that will deliver a big help for aerodynamics. The changes will require a new gearbox too.

While it is more likely that Kimi Raikkonen, who is out of title contention, will use the engine first, the team could still choose to deliver it for Vettel as well.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrari-could-use-remaining-engine-tokens-for-austin/

After the race Raikkonen said he felt it was a racing incident, and he is sticking to his guns.

"I don't think it was something completely stupid that I tried," he said. "I would have made the corner but usually when there's two cars, there are many ways of looking at it.

"I was there but he didn't know I was there and in that, you will have a contact.

"It's an unfortunate thing, not just for us but for them. You never want to have accidents, but that's racing and things happen."

Oh Kimi, just shut up alre-

Meanwhile, Ferrari team principal Maurizio Arrivabene is also adamant that his driver's punishment was harsh.

"It's a race incident," he said. "If you look in Monaco for example, Ricciardo/Kimi was more or less the same and it was considered a race accident.

"So I don't see any reason why this can't be considered as it was considered in Monaco."

No, Maruzio. Pls, stahp. Not you, too!

chadskin

Formula One world champion Lewis Hamilton has dismissed as wide of the mark reports that he sprayed Russian President Vladimir Putin with the winner's champagne after Sunday's grand prix in Sochi.

"I actually didn't. I didn't actually spray him. I think there's a weird picture but I didn't spray him. I definitely don't want anything (to happen)," the Mercedes driver told Sky Sports television on Monday with a smile.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/10/12/us-motor-racing-hamilton-putin-idUKKCN0S61K020151012

lol

jdw_b

Comedy gold from Adrian Newey

Newey, Red Bull's chief technical officer and the most decorated designer in F1 history, believes the writing is on the wall for the Milton Keynes-based team.

"We're possibly going to be forced out of Formula 1 - Mercedes and Ferrari have refused to supply us out of fear," said Newey, speaking to Reuters.

"Unfortunately, our relationship with Renault is pretty terminal. There's been too much of a marriage breakdown, so we have no engine.

"Red Bull should not be put in a position where they're only there to make up the numbers."

They put themselves into that position...

jdw_b

How so? Engine performance is out of their hands.

He's complaining about Merc & Ferrari's unwillingness to supply engines, whilst acknowledging that they've destroyed their relationship with Renault. Seems a bit ironic doesn't it?

The way they've conducted themselves will have played a big part in Merc & Ferrari's decision i'd imagine, so it's entirely their own fault.

Amus says Renault may not use their tokens this season after a series of fires on the test bed.

I don't think Renault will be buying Lotus, Palmer being signed up for next season confirms this. Renault and Red Bull are done.

Newey is coming home to be reunited with his main man Peter P.

Aiii

So not worth it
He's complaining about Merc & Ferrari's unwillingness to supply engines, whilst acknowledging that they've destroyed their relationship with Renault. Seems a bit ironic doesn't it?

The way they've conducted themselves will have played a big part in Merc & Ferrari's decision i'd imagine, so it's entirely their own fault.

He's right that it's insane that there's a situation like this at all. Engine manufacturers should not be running teams and vice versa. Just imagine if we had the same situation with tire manufacturers.

This whole situation of B-spec engines, last-year's engines, shit like that ruins competition.

Yes, RB should have handled the Renault thing different, but that doesn't take away the fact that Mercedes and Ferrari have a stranglehold on the sport.

He's right that it's insane that there's a situation like this at all. Engine manufacturers should not be running teams and vice versa. Just imagine if we had the same situation with tire manufacturers.

This whole situation of B-spec engines, last-year's engines, shit like that ruins competition.

Yes, RB should have handled the Renault thing different, but that doesn't take away the fact that Mercedes and Ferrari have a stranglehold on the sport.

Just like it isn't Ferrari's and Mercedes' fault that Red Bull is in that situation, it's also not their fault that Renault and Honda (two manufacturers with more than enough experience), can't put a reliable power unit together.

Aye, at the end of the day it could have just as easily been Renault and Honda with a stranglehold on the sport. Welcome to the development race people... enjoy your stay.

Aiii

So not worth it
Just like it isn't Ferrari's and Mercedes' fault that Red Bull is in that situation, it's also not their fault that Renault and Honda (two manufacturers with more than enough experience), can't put a reliable power unit together.

Even then, I think the sport should move away from the current model and move towards separating engine and car manufacturing.

Zeknurn

Pretty much, yeah. I guess you could allow a sponsorship deal for a team, as long as the team itself is a separate entity.

It's pretty much how almost every class outside of F1 works.

Ferrari and Mercedes would never agree to that which puts us at the underlying problem with the sport. The teams shouldn't have any say over the sport.

The whole of Brundle's interview with Bernie is up on the website btw.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24...sive-bernie-ecclestone-tackles-f1s-hot-topics

It does sound like Bernie knows what need to be done but he can't do anything about it. I guess we're at the mercy of the new owners, if they want to take control over the sport or continue to be another CVC.

edit: There might be a light at the end of the tunnel after all:
Mercedes, Ferrari, Honda and Renault are to hold a meeting with the FIA on Thursday to discuss a potential overhaul of Formula 1's engine rules, Motorsport.com can reveal.

Amid concerns that development restrictions and homologation deadlines are freezing in performance advantages too much, the sport's manufacturers have been called to discuss shaking things up to help make a more level playing field in the sport.

It is understood that teams bosses and senior engine representatives from all four of F1's car makers will be in attendance in a get-together that could have big ramifications for the competitive order in 2016 and beyond.
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-manufacturers-to-hold-engine-rules-summit/

I think it's safe to assume that this is one of the stipulations for Renault taking over Lotus.

ramparter

Banned
If this is the image in discussion,
r

then people have serious problems of perception and understanding perspective.

Even then, I think the sport should move away from the current model and move towards separating engine and car manufacturing.
One team will always have the closest relationship with the engine manufacturer, and this garner works status. This is fairly typical in many forms of racing. Bridgestone supplied many teams, but Ferrari enjoyed the closest relationship with them, and thus were essentially their works team. It's impossible to fully separate them. The only way is having a single supplier. In that case, a works team creates a conflict of interest and an unfair playing field. And one engine supplier just brings us that much closer to a spec series. That's no fun at all.

Renault and Honda just need to do a better job. Mercedes deserves to be rewarded for their diligent work. Even two years later, none of the other manufacturers can replicate their split turbo design. They simply did a better job. Tough nuts for everyone else. The token system want Mercedes' unilateral decision. If development wasn't frozen, they might well be further down the road, as unlike the competition, they didn't have to scrap their original designs and restart. They could've continued to develop their already superior engine to an even greater advantage.

I think a serious question to ask is why other engine manufacturers haven't been able to split their turbos yet. Is it a patent issue, or is the design just that complex? If it's the latter, then congrats to Merc for innovation. They just did a better job.

kmag

One team will always have the closest relationship with the engine manufacturer, and this garner works status. This is fairly typical in many forms of racing. Bridgestone supplied many teams, but Ferrari enjoyed the closest relationship with them, and thus were essentially their works team. It's impossible to fully separate them. The only way is having a single supplier. In that case, a works team creates a conflict of interest and an unfair playing field. And one engine supplier just brings us that much closer to a spec series. That's no fun at all.

Renault and Honda just need to do a better job. Mercedes deserves to be rewarded for their diligent work. Even two years later, none of the other manufacturers can replicate their split turbo design. They simply did a better job. Tough nuts for everyone else. The token system want Mercedes' unilateral decision. If development wasn't frozen, they might well be further down the road, as unlike the competition, they didn't have to scrap their original designs and restart. They could've continued to develop their already superior engine to an even greater advantage.

I think a serious question to ask is why other engine manufacturers haven't been able to split their turbos yet. Is it a patent issue, or is the design just that complex? If it's the latter, then congrats to Merc for innovation. They just did a better job.

I thought it would require too many tokens to do.

It's basically a complete redesign of the engine.

Ferrari and Mercedes would never agree to that which puts us at the underlying problem with the sport. The teams shouldn't have any say over the sport.

The whole of Brundle's interview with Bernie is up on the website btw.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24...sive-bernie-ecclestone-tackles-f1s-hot-topics

It does sound like Bernie knows what need to be done but he can't do anything about it. I guess we're at the mercy of the new owners, if they want to take control over the sport or continue to be another CVC.

edit: There might be a light at the end of the tunnel after all:

I think it's safe to assume that this is one of the stipulations for Renault taking over Lotus.
And they will pass the costs to their customers teams, and a endless cycle of teams in financial crisis continues.

Aiii

So not worth it
If I have to choose between less bottom feeders like Sauber and 3-car top teams, but with competitive engines over years of domination by one team due to no-development rules, I say bring it on.

I mean, it's great that Sauber get to survive due to cheaper development cost and contracting six drivers, but yeah, in the end that does nothing for the sport at all. Three Mercedes and Ferrari cars that are on pace with one another would be much more entertaining.

Going to my first F1 race in Austin (into motorsports just not F1). Should I be wearing earplugs? I'll be sitting Main Grandstand trackside. From what I can gather they'll hit around 280-300 kph at this area.

Any GAF meetups or any tips about Austin? I don't know crap about Austin.

Zeknurn

And they will pass the costs to their customers teams, and a endless cycle of teams in financial crisis continues.

Introduce B spec engines for the more cost sensitive teams.
Open up development and let Red Bull, McLaren and Ferrari eat the cost for more competitive power units.
Everyone wins.

Going to my first F1 race in Austin (into motorsports just not F1). Should I be wearing earplugs? I'll be sitting Main Grandstand trackside. From what I can gather they'll hit around 280-300 kph at this area.

You need earplugs for GP2 and GP3 but not F1.

I wouldn't say "need" for GP2 / 3... but if you're sensitive you'll probably want them. I didn't bother at the last race, but I definitely used to need them for F1.

Oh...and some sportscar racing, especially with the Corvettes and Vipers.

Mobius 1

Bring the ear plugs just in case, since you're new to this. The F1 cars are sadly quiet now, so you may not need them.

The only time I wish I had earplugs was at the FIA WEC, where I was right next to a NASCAR car being revved up on the display area. It was beautifully ear-ringing.

dakun

If this is the image in discussion,
r

then people have serious problems of perception and understanding perspective.

that picture certainly is not the point where he sprayed him.. just about 1 second after this pic just as Putin is going right out of the picture Hamilton turns to the right in order to spray the guys behind him and while turning hits Putin.. you can see that in the broadcast pretty clearly.

but who cares.. Senna once sprayed Champagne over the Royal Family in Monaco.. at this point it should be accepted that if you go up there you should expect to be sprayed.

Shaneus

I want Webber as a team owner in F1. That suits his personality much more.
We basically did.

It is kinda funny his starts are a lot better after the rule change. It was supposed to make it harder.
I did love that bit... bad starts = engineers fault, good starts = all Danny.

I know we joked about it on Sunday, but the fear is real. It's really hilariously terrifying.
Kvyat mind-control trigger word activated.

Top Bottom