• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Massa

There are enough potential manufacturers to choose from. VAG (either VW, Audi or whoever), BMW, Cosworth or Toyota. I'm probably missing a few, too.

But in that case they could just partner for an F1 engine with one of them and suffer a year or two with whatever they can get.

Zeknurn

This is crazy:

Bernie Ecclestone is still contemplating an alternative to the current V6 hybrid power unit, and if he succeeds in pushing it through it could mean that the F1 grid will feature two different engine types as early as next season.

The two alternatives he has been considering in recent months are a return to pre-2014 V8s - with Renault or Cosworth as the possible sources - or the use of a 3.5-litre twin-turbo V6, with a simple KERS package.
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ecclestone-still-pushing-for-alternative-engine-for-red-bull/

I would be cool to see V8s and the current power units share the same track, but they are so different in their power delivery. I can't imagine how'd they'd get the BoP correct. Perhaps with a significant weight reduction for the V8s. Dunno.

These new engines are brilliant pieces of technology in a sport which is supposed to be a pioneer in such things

I agree, but in fairness, the back of the grid isn't pioneering a damn thing. They just write checks.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
These new engines are brilliant pieces of technology in a sport which is supposed to be a pioneer in such things

The only problem is the lack of development and testing. It was a silly idea to disallow most development and testing. They should have allowed more, at least in the first year of these engines. Renault and Honda would not have the problems they have if they'd been allowed to test and develop their engines better.

Mastah

McLaren won't renew contract with K-Mag:

Autosport understands Magnussen is one of three names on the shortlist for the second Lotus seat alongside Pastor Maldonado, with Jean-Eric Vergne and the team's resrerve Jolyon Palmer also in the frame.

Magnussen is also believed to be in the running for a Manor drive, with Mercedes reserve Pascal Wehrlein and current Manor drivers Will Stevens and Alexander Rossi still in the mix too.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121346

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
This is crazy:
Its just scare mongering to force Ferrari/Merc into a deal with RBR group.
The other engines wouldn't be competitve at all IMO.
Fuel is limited to 100kg per race and these other engines were never designed to work with these tight limits.

andshrew

The only problem is the lack of development and testing. It was a silly idea to disallow most development and testing. They should have allowed more, at least in the first year of these engines. Renault and Honda would not have the problems they have if they'd been allowed to test and develop their engines better.

Realistically though it wasn't unreasonable to expect that both Renault and Honda would have been able to turn up with competent engines on day 1, and obviously the rules on limited development were all agreed likely on the assumption that they would all have produced engines that were roughly in line with one another.

There's no guarantee that unlimited development wouldn't be anything other than a massive money sink either, if you look at Renault when they had the opportunity to make real progress over the winter they totally failed to so. If anything it could have allowed Merc and Ferrari to move even further ahead.

ramparter

Banned
I hope this happens and I hope any teams using a V8 get destroyed to show how stupid an idea it was.

Exactly, the problem was never the new engines, only the stupid rules limiting their evolution.

Mastah

The amount of tokens available will remain at 32, with the areas that were due to be blocked off for development - upper/lower crankcase, valve drive, part of the crankshaft, air-valve system and ancillaries drive - remaining open.

But:

The rule regarding manufacturers no longer being able to supply older engines, as Manor has done this year with a 2014 system supplied by Ferrari, has also been dropped, as predicted by Autosport.

This will allow Toro Rosso to run a 2015-spec Ferrari engine for next season, reviving the 2007-2013 partnership.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121347

Shaneus

I now want one of those little drift car things. I didn't realise a full-size human could fit in them.

I would be cool to see V8s and the current power units share the same track, but they are so different in their power delivery. I can't imagine how'd they'd get the BoP correct. Perhaps with a significant weight reduction for the V8s. Dunno.
I'd just like to see something that mixes shit up a bit. Ditch DRS, give engine developers a little more freedom but with certain exceptions to keep the competition tight. I'd love to see different teams having distinct advantages over others at different tracks.

About the 3.5L V6... what is the engine they have this year? Is it not that or a different capacity V6?

Agreed. Maybe even if they could've had weighted performance-based testing to give other manufacturers a chance to catch up. I realise that's potentially flawed, but I'm sure it'd be better than the current system.

Eh, every right to be pissed with that. Dick move from Kimi.

tomtom94

Agreed. Maybe even if they could've had weighted performance-based testing to give other manufacturers a chance to catch up. I realise that's potentially flawed, but I'm sure it'd be better than the current system.

Problem with that is there is less than zero chance of the teams agreeing to it.

Mastah

Tobias Grüner ‏@tgruener 15m15 minutes ago

#F1 During yesterdays meeting at Geneva Ferrari emphasized again it will not agree to any engine cost cap & use veto if necessary. #AMuS

I'd just like to see something that mixes shit up a bit. Ditch DRS, give engine developers a little more freedom but with certain exceptions to keep the competition tight. I'd love to see different teams having distinct advantages over others at different tracks.

It would be great to have something like the early 90s when V8, V10 and V12 were used.

itsgreen

Exactly, the problem was never the new engines, only the stupid rules limiting their evolution.

Good luck finding new engine suppliers...

This formula sucks.

Why in HELL would someone want to develop a F1 V6 engine... considering all the trouble you'll have to go through...

Aiii

So not worth it
"Cutting-edge engines" mean jackshit, too. Does anyone watching really care how cutting-edge they are? No, they're not faster, they sound like crap, they were terrible for the actual show.

One of the worst descisions F1 has ever made was stepping away from the V8 engines.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Motorsport reporting that Mercedes is using brake warmer blanket, so that rear brakes are hot, when wheel is put on.

Having super-heated brakes when the tyres are fitted would in theory lift the core temperature of the tyre, and help get them in to a zone that the teams want.

The extra heat transferred through the rim could also temporarily lift the pressures when the tyres are first fitted, to help them get above the limits when checked by the FIA.

Then, when the temperature drops away, the pressure can drop nearer an area that delivers the ultimate performance.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
That would in part explain their qualifying performance. It would also explain why they had too low pressures during that one race, probably due to failing brake warmers. But the sour point is that they can actually use this to cheat.

Mastah

Did you actually read the article?

It is interesting that in the last two races Mercedes has been spotted using a heated blanket system on its rear brakes prior to the cars hitting the track.

CHEATERS! How can they dare to introduce something new?!?

Aiii

So not worth it
Chinese Eye Biggest F1 Stake In $8.5bn Bid

Chinese investors are in pole position to shape the future of Formula One motor racing as one of the country's largest investment firms backs an $8.5bn (£5.5bn) takeover bid for the sport.

Sky News can reveal that China Media Capital (CMC) is leading a group of Chinese firms who want to invest roughly $1.5bn (£970m) in an offer being assembled by Stephen Ross, owner of the Miami Dolphins American football team.

Mr Ross’s consortium is understood to be planning to write in the coming days to CVC Capital Partners, F1's controlling shareholder, to seek a 90-day period of exclusivity during which it would hold detailed talks with Bernie Ecclestone, F1's chief executive, and undertake due diligence.

CMC is among a group of Chinese media investors – which also include Fosun and Wanda – pursuing rapid global expansion, recently unveiling a partnership with the Hollywood studio Warner Bros Entertainment to produce Chinese-language films for distribution around the world.

The proposed takeover of F1, which remains far from certain to take place, still requires roughly $2bn in additional equity from other investors.

CVC has not yet decided whether to grant the exclusivity request, insiders said.

Sky News understands that Qatar Sports Investments, which owns the Paris Saint-Germain football team and had been tipped as a partner of Mr Ross, is now on the periphery of the deal and may not participate at all.

Sources said that Mr Ross's vehicle, RSE Ventures, plans to invest approximately $500m (£323m) to buy a significant shareholding in F1's parent company.

Dieter Hahn, a German media magnate whose company, Constantin Medien, sued Mr Ecclestone in relation to previous changes to F1's ownership, wants to invest a similar amount.

In addition to the Chinese investment, that would leave the consortium requiring another $2bn (£1.3bn) in equity, with the $4bn (£2.6bn) balance of the $8.5bn price tag consisting of debt.

Despite the recent legal history between Mr Ecclestone and Mr Hahn, insiders said the consortium was keen for the 84 year-old F1 chief to retain his role overseeing its racing operations, while a new commercial team would look to exploit the sport's media and sponsorship rights more aggressively.

"They believe they can double F1's profits," said a source close to the bid.

The takeover proposal from the consortium which involves CMC comes at a difficult time for F1, with a number of teams succumbing to or facing financial difficulties, and lingering concerns about the quality of the sporting spectacle.

One uncertainty facing the sport is the outcome of a complaint submitted recently by two of the smaller teams - Force India and Sauber - to the European Commission about the way prize money is distributed.

Nevertheless, people close to F1 say it is now closer to a change in ownership than at any time since CVC gained control a decade ago.

The sport has been a stellar investment for CVC, which has generated huge returns from frequent dividend payments and the rise in its value since 2005.

It is unclear whether CVC would sell out of F1 altogether, with City sources speculating that Donald Mackenzie, the private equity firm’s co-founder, would like to retain a small shareholding.

In 2012, CVC sold a series of minority stakes in Delta Topco, F1's parent, to international investors including Blackrock and Norway's sovereign wealth fund.

Waddell & Reed, a US-based fund manager, subsequently invested another $500m to increase its shareholding to almost 21%.

That deal placed an enterprise value on the sport of $9.1bn, although insiders said that after dividend payments, it would still recoup its investment if the sport was sold with an $8.5bn price-tag.

Goldman Sachs is advising CVC on the discussions, while Mr Ross’s consortium is being advised by Raine, a New York-based merchant bank.

CMC could not be reached for comment, while CVC declined to comment.

http://news.sky.com/story/1570686/chinese-eye-biggest-f1-stake-in-8-5bn-bid

Aiii

So not worth it
Actually, it could just mean they'll finally launch that online subscription streaming service most of us have been craving.

jdw_b

Actually, it could just mean they'll finally launch that online subscription streaming service most of us have been craving.

First thing I thought, the subscription rates on something like this would be pretty big

I'd be in straight away

Mastah

Yeah, finding another 500 million dollars from streaming service. Totally not from pushing coverage worldwide to PPV, taking sponsors away from teams, destroying every smaller team because who wants to watch these peasants, squeezing every single dollar from existing circuit owners (even more expensive tickets, hello!) and saying goodbye to the presence of Silverstone, Monza, Spa or Hockenheim in the calendar, because Qatar, Thailand or Who-Knows-Where will pay ridiculous sums of money to host F1 race with empty grandstands.

LeBoef

yeah sure. national tv broadcasters and their advertisers are still going to pay huge amounts of cash for the rights, when there is an alternate local provider (the internet). great idea to cut your own tv revenue.

f1 is not some shit show like formula e or wrc (dont get me wrong. i love wrc, but they re not able to make proper tv revenue).
and it is not like the nba, which has a national league pass (that blacks out for games shown on national tv, because tv revenue > internet revenue) and an international league pass (without black outs), because they doesnt get any international tv contracts.

f1 gets proper tv contracts world wide nation by nation.
its a cash machine you dont want to cut. you re not getting that lovely direct subscription, because they re not able to do so. its because they would cut their own bussiness.

f1 tv ratings may be going back, but you people dont realize that its still one of the top tv happenings.

and its just amazing that some here even think that red bull could make anything close to it on its own.

Aiii

So not worth it
yeah sure. national tv broadcasters and their advertisers are still going to pay huge amounts of cash for the rights, when there is an alternate local provider (the internet). great idea to cut your own tv revenue.

f1 is not some shit show like formula e or wrc (dont get me wrong. i love wrc, but they re not able to make proper tv revenue).
and it is not like the nba, which has a national league pass (that blacks out for games shown on national tv, because tv revenue > internet revenue) and an international league pass (without black outs), because they doesnt get any international tv contracts.

f1 gets proper tv contracts world wide nation by nation.
its a cash machine you dont want to cut. you re not getting that lovely direct subscription, because they re not able to do so. its because they would cut their own bussiness.

f1 tv ratings may be going back, but you people dont realize that its still one of the top tv happenings.

and its just amazing that some here even think that red bull could make anything close to it on its own.

What you person don't realize is that TV is an archaic concept, especially for young people. TV ratings are diminishing, which is exactly the reason why free-TV is no longer able to afford Formula One. It will take a while, but traditional TV will slowly fade away. More-over, cord-cutting is becoming more and more frequent and you need to be able to anticipate the next trend and be ahead of the curve if you wish to make money. Which is exactly why the NBA, NFL, UFC, WWE and the like all have pretty huge online subscription services by now.

Another thing you don't realize is that F1 gets a fixed income from Sky and the like for the rights to broadcast F1, the income Sky generates from subscriptions goes to them, not F1. Why is this important? Because if you could eliminate the middle man, the subscription money could go straight to your pocket. Also, you wouldn't have to keep renegotiating contracts every few years and you would be able to make your product available even in markets that are considered to niche for a traditional TV contract, exposing your product to countless of people that now rely on illegal streaming just to see your shit.

Now, could your contract with Sky be a problem right now? Sure, but your next contract could include a clause for streaming where costs are split. Where you put the Sky coverage on your streaming service for a fee to them, or where Sky gets a discount and you have income from both.

This is all based on the premise that it's one or the other, what is actually the case with F1's contract with cable companies, though, is that none of them are allowed to show old races, or any old content from previous seasons. Why is this not allowed? Because F1 wants all the rights to this. A streaming service doesn't necessarily mean live F1 races, but rather insight, documentaries, all the old races, FIA Year Reviews and much much more. All content that is ripe for monetization. Again, look at UFC, they have their shows and PPV events along with their streaming service. You mention how the NBA does regional black-outs. WWE still has their TV programming along with their Network and we could go on and on.

All that doesn't change the simple fact that having such a service = money in your pocket and CVC is just not monetizing that wealth of content that's just hanging out in some storage locker or on hard-drives somewhere.

jdw_b

It's like they don't want people to like them.

They are so far up their own arses it's unreal. Bouillier's reaction to DC trying to interview him on the grid walk and DC's subsequent burn just sums them up as a team perfectly.

And totally agree with Aii, creating a subscription service with old races etc. is pretty much a no-brainer revenue stream.

Seems Toto Wolff is pushing the third car idea still. From a cynical point of view, I can see why they'd want to dominate the podium with three cars. But his idea of 26-28 car grids, so three car teams even if Red Bull and TR stay, sounds awesome to me. Put the kids in the third car as a proving ground, keep it to only one pit box per team...That alone would create a bit of havoc in the race

Lach

Honestly I can totaly see spending myself more for F1 (which this year was nothing other than 35€ for the pc game). If they can provide a good Streaming coverage akin to DTM or WEC I'm definetly ready to pay for it. I hope this "double the profits" statement is not going in the direction of even less freetv coverage.....

BigAl1992

It's like they don't want people to like them.

They are so far up their own arses it's unreal. Bouillier's reaction to DC trying to interview him on the grid walk and DC's subsequent burn just sums them up as a team perfectly.

I never saw that interview. What happened?

Jezbollah

Feel sad for K-Mag, but I honestly think that it's the best for his career going forward. I think he was handcuffed by being at that team. I'd love him to get a Lotus/Renault or STR drive and see if he can rub it into his old team.

WOW WOW

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/10/...ays-ecclestone-as-he-hails-blatter-and-putin/

‘There’s no place for democracy anywhere’ says Ecclestone as he hails Blatter and Putin

Bernie Ecclestone railed against “democracy” and urged an overhaul of F1’s rules in an interview with Russian television.

Speaking to the Russian government-backed channel RT Ecclestone repeated his call to “tear up the rulebook”.

“We are in show business,” he said. “The minute we stop entertaining, we’re in trouble.”

Asked about past comments that F1’s rule-making process had become “too democratic”, Ecclestone answered “I don’t think there’s any place for democracy, full stop. Anywhere.”

However he also claimed Formula One is only superficially democratic. “It appears to be a democracy, perhaps,” he said.

“I think, if you can get people to, more or less, fall in line with what you’re trying to do and support you, then it seems like democracy, which is exactly what democracy should be seeming like.”

Ecclestone reiterated his staunch backing for Russian president Vladimir Putin – “I’m his best supporter” – and like Putin threw his backing behind Sepp Blatter, the embattled president of football’s governing body FIFA who has been charged with corruption.

“I don’t think he should have ever stepped down and I don’t think he should have ever been challenged,” said Ecclestone, “because it’s because of him we have a lot of countries around the world that are now playing football.”

“And if these people allegedly have been corrupted to make things happen in their country, it’s good. It’s a tax football had to pay.”

Rest at the link.

Top Bottom