• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Shaneus

It is kinda funny his starts are a lot better after the rule change. It was supposed to make it harder.
I did love that bit... bad starts = engineers fault, good starts = all Danny.

I know we joked about it on Sunday, but the fear is real. It's really hilariously terrifying.
Kvyat mind-control trigger word activated.

Exactly. I was thinking of him when I wrote the post and I knew you'd get it. :)
eODmdcK.png

Side note: I have a feeling that's probably the happiest Webber was in F1.

Zeknurn

The latest briefings from the world dominating fizzy drinks empire is that Dietricht Mateschitz is considering forming a ‘Red Bull Formula Series.’

This would see Adrian Newey designed cars on offer to prospective teams, with a single specification V8/10 engine of yesteryear. Drivers would be offered up to $25million to participate and would be contracted by the series promoter.

Under the contracts with FOM, current F1 circuits are barred from hosting single seater racing that would compete with Formula One (vague but enforceable), yet there are a host of historic tracks which Red Bull could reinvigorate and inspire F1 fans to dream of yesteryear.

So in Europe, the likes of Donnington Park, Brands Hatch, Magny Cours, Paul Ricard, San Marino, Mugello, Jerez and both current German F1 circuits – Hockenheim and Nurburgring – could well express an interest.
http://thejudge13.com/2015/10/14/new-single-seater-red-bull-racing-series/

Just do it.

Mastah

Nah, this time it's totally legit!

7 March Buenos Aires Argentina
21 March Mexico City Mexico
11 April Jerez Spain
25 April Portimao Portugal
2 May Imola San Marino
23 May Monte Carlo Monaco
6 June Montreal Canada
13 June Indianapolis United States
11 July Silverstone United Kingdom
25 July Magny-Cours France
15 August Laustizring Germany
29 August Helsinki Finland
12 September Monza Italy
26 September Abu Dhabi United Arab Emirates
10 October Marina Bay Singapore
24 October Suzuka Japan
7 November Adelaide or Surfers' Paradise Australia

2010 GP1 calendar, never forget.

Aiii

So not worth it

Zeknurn

The Red Bull Formula will never happen because in some way Bernie will come through and Red Bull will continue in a half-dying Formula.

Speaking of other racing series.

Formula E starts next weekend (Oct 24) and I can't watch it, because I'm away all day. Fuuuck!

I can't wait for the season to start. It's been a long break without any decent open wheel racing.

@ScarbsF1: New #F1 regs confirm 1 or 2 wastegate tailpipes must be used & exit in the same region as the current tailpipe. So NO scope for blowing aero

Sorry Newey.

The racing has been entertaining, that's all that should really matter.

There are big negatives, for sure, but I'd be lying if I said I've enjoyed this season of F1 more than I enjoyed the first season of Formula E.

I am pretty sure that there would be a "Change of Control" clause, meaning that if the team's ownership changes hands, the agreement would become null.

Now if Manor managed to sign and agreement without that clause. They can make BIG money

A1GP was cute. But it ran out of money very quickly.

Redbull can easily generate a lot of hype in no time, and it has access to all the market that F1 is trying to attract via plenty of channels. It can easily work.

Aaron

It's mostly the lack of speed and the whole "we have to change entire cars mid-race because electric cars are REALLY REALLY SHITTY" that puts me off.
But it leads to cool moments where if their first car takes a big hit they've got a spare if they can limp it back in for a pitstop, even at the cost of battery drain. I also didn't miss the speed in the final race when Senna's nephew cockblocked Alain Prost's team from winning. Better than Louis zooming ahead and not being seen until the very end of the race.

Lach

The Problem i have with Red Bull is that they demand equality to work teams. If they'd ask for the same deal that e.g. Sauber or Haas have they'd get the engines (maybe pay a bit more because they're late and it would cause additional costs to produce more engines). But demanding equality would probably compromise the works team (Ferrari couldn't use an upgrade because it has to be applied to 4 instead of 2 engines...)

[edit]
Rival series have been threatened a lot of times before and they never happened. But if anybody can pull this off, it's Red Bull....

[edit2]
Wait I missed that FIA announcement. Does that include upgrades?

Door not closed on year-old F1 engines, despite new FIA regulations

However, at meeting of the technical directors in August, all were in favour of a proposal to allow the use of older-spec engines, subject to approval by the FIA on a case-by-case basis.

Article 1.2 reads: "These sporting regulations were published on 30 September 2015 and may only be changed after this date with the unanimous agreement of all competitors entered in the 2016 Championship, save for changes made by the FIA for safety reasons which may come into effect without notice or delay."

tomtom94

The Problem i have with Red Bull is that they demand equality to work teams. If they'd ask for the same deal that e.g. Sauber or Haas have they'd get the engines (maybe pay a bit more because they're late and it would cause additional costs to produce more engines). But demanding equality would probably compromise the works team (Ferrari couldn't use an upgrade because it has to be applied to 4 instead of 2 engines...)

The problem there is the fact that there are too few engine suppliers without a vested interest, not that Red Bull want to have an acceptable engine.

dubc35

The problem there is the fact that there are too few engine suppliers without a vested interest, not that Red Bull want to have an acceptable engine.

Many problems but yes this is one of them. Bernie mentioned it too. He said F1 needs another Cosworth like engine supplier. I guess Cosworth even made a V6 turbo. Let's make a power unit GAF! Infinity Red Bull Racing GAF, it just rolls off the tongue!

In other news, I missed that Pirelli is in until 2019 now.

xrnzaaas

Red Bull series with V8 or V10 engines and on some awesome, forgotten tracks? I'd watch that assuming they'd have enough of good current drivers (to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if a significant number of F1 drivers would switch series).

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
If Red Bull do somehow manage to pull off their own F1, they should put it on free-to-air TV.

Seeing how all they are interested in is advertising space of course it would be in free TV. The best thing would be to create their own series, then buy the F1 rights and put the name on it. F1 suffers from too many people making the calls (FIA, rights holder, teams), there should only be one person responsible for making a series interesting and entertaining. Otherwise you just have conflicting interests and nothing changes for the better, you only get the smallest common ground.

Geez, Red Bull has really become the new old Ferrari.

bitching that theyre not winning and getting their way, threatens to pull out of the sport, and now starting their own series.

Who are they expecting will provide them V8/V10 engines? It aint gonna be Renault or the other guys. Cosworth maybe? :lol

Aiii

So not worth it
Geez, Red Bull has really become the new old Ferrari.

bitching that theyre not winning and getting their way, threatens to pull out of the sport, and now starting their own series.

Who are they expecting will provide them V8/V10 engines? It aint gonna be Renault or the other guys. Cosworth maybe? :lol

And prey tell why Renault or the other guys hate money so much they wouldn't supply engines that they have already developed and don't need to do shit for except put them together?

Dilly

Banned
And prey tell why Renault or the other guys hate money so much they wouldn't supply engines that they have already developed and don't need to do shit for except put them together?

Getting everything in place to start producing V8's or V10's would still require significant investments.

I would die laughing if Renault is holding out on buying Lotus to see if they can pick up Red Bull on the cheap.

( Would feel sorry for everyone at Lotus though).

I'd rather see them go off and shoot for the moon starting a new series with badass Newey cars than see them bitch in f1 as a midfield team.

They have the money and brand to do it, why stay in f1.

I admit that my perception is not the one of the general population, but I don't understand the brand argument at all. I'm really narrow minded in some cases, actually.

When I think of Red Bull, I think of marketing, energy drinks and the air race. I just don't see this super power in sports that's able to pull off a successful single seater series that can rival F1. I can't see any top driver leaving F1 for that series. There's no prestige in it. Might as well join a Formula E team.

Shaneus

If Red Bull do somehow manage to pull off their own F1, they should put it on free-to-air TV.
I'm trying to think of parallels... I guess the RB Air Race? I think that was always free. Flipside comparison is A1GP.

Maybe they could somehow merge/buddy-up with Formula E. Have FE as a support series or something (like it always should have been).

Red Bull series with V8 or V10 engines and on some awesome, forgotten tracks? I'd watch that assuming they'd have enough of good current drivers (to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if a significant number of F1 drivers would switch series).
See above. I think you'd guarantee the current stock of RBR drivers, possibly even STR and junior category drivers. I reckon a few FE drivers would cross over as well, which would secure a lineup of drivers worth watching.

If RB could bank on the current level of apathy in F1 to start a new series... holy shit. I think that's maybe what A1GP's biggest problem was: it was on when F1 was going through a relatively exciting period. That's not what F1 has now.

ahhh the age old argument of "we're starting a rival series to F1 that'll be 100times better" argument to get leverage... been there done that Red Bull: "Are you gonna bark all day little doggie, or are you gonna BITE?"
Also changing up an engine deal for a multimillion standalone race series seems really badly thought out for exposure that at this point is already secure beyond F1

Shaneus

You forget that to make something 100x as F1 today is much easier to accomplish than something 100x more exciting than F1 10 years ago.

hadareud

The Translator
Good to see that people are yearning for a strong leader from Austria to start a new empire based on perceived past glories. May it last a 1000 years.

Top Bottom