• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

LeBoef

What you person don't realize is that TV is an archaic concept, especially for young people. TV ratings are diminishing, which is exactly the reason why free-TV is no longer able to afford Formula One. It will take a while, but traditional TV will slowly fade away. More-over, cord-cutting is becoming more and more frequent and you need to be able to anticipate the next trend and be ahead of the curve if you wish to make money. Which is exactly why the NBA, NFL, UFC, WWE and the like all have pretty huge online subscription services by now.

Another thing you don't realize is that F1 gets a fixed income from Sky and the like for the rights to broadcast F1, the income Sky generates from subscriptions goes to them, not F1. Why is this important? Because if you could eliminate the middle man, the subscription money could go straight to your pocket. Also, you wouldn't have to keep renegotiating contracts every few years and you would be able to make your product available even in markets that are considered to niche for a traditional TV contract, exposing your product to countless of people that now rely on illegal streaming just to see your shit.

Now, could your contract with Sky be a problem right now? Sure, but your next contract could include a clause for streaming where costs are split. Where you put the Sky coverage on your streaming service for a fee to them, or where Sky gets a discount and you have income from both.

This is all based on the premise that it's one or the other, what is actually the case with F1's contract with cable companies, though, is that none of them are allowed to show old races, or any old content from previous seasons. Why is this not allowed? Because F1 wants all the rights to this. A streaming service doesn't necessarily mean live F1 races, but rather insight, documentaries, all the old races, FIA Year Reviews and much much more. All content that is ripe for monetization. Again, look at UFC, they have their shows and PPV events along with their streaming service. You mention how the NBA does regional black-outs. WWE still has their TV programming along with their Network and we could go on and on.

All that doesn't change the simple fact that having such a service = money in your pocket and CVC is just not monetizing that wealth of content that's just hanging out in some storage locker or on hard-drives somewhere.

ok...

cat1)
you got the fifa world cup, superbowl, f1, olympic games on one side. full tv coverage and billions income. world wide attention.

cat2)
you got wwe, ufc, nba, etc on the other side. huge national markets which generate EXTRA income via direct access, because they are irrelevant on the international market.

cat2b)
international lala markets like the WEC, WRC, etc... they dont have a big home market. they dont generate much via tv revenue, so they add EXTRA revenue via direct access.

the massive gap between cat1 and cat2 is something people dont understand.
its like warren buffet (cat1) talking about buying a smaller house because he didnt made as much as before
compared
to a 18 year old (cat2) in a favela talking about getting a bigger house because he found some extra income.

you can keep on talking how much tv is going to die as you want. the big players are where the money is. they will switch immediately when the time has come. they wont miss anything.
you dont want to cut the middle man if he is probably paying more than its worth (!), plus taking the risk to probably not finding a way to generate enough revenue.

ps: sky is showing classic races and live internet live broadcasting

edit
funny how naive the argument "tv is an archaic concept" is. sure it is, but its where the money is. the big money and it wont change for a while. would be nice to see sky viewers % on their tv and internet broadcast.

edit2
dont get me wrong. i think the nba league pass is the greatest thing on earth. would love to have a f1 thing. but its not going to happen for a long time

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Seems Toto Wolff is pushing the third car idea still.

About that: According to Ecclestone the third car rule if enforced doesn't mean they get to put a third car on the grid, it means they have to provide that third car to other (potentially new) teams. So there could be a team that has a Ferrari and Renault and another one that has a Mercedes and a Honda.

dubc35

It's just Bernie talking. People put too much into what he says. Like I said above I think he is just pandering to the audience. He says a lot of stuff that doesn't end up as anything. There is "no such thing as bad publicity" and all that. He's a businessman interested in money. There is a GP in Russia that could bring him more money. He's not going to go on Russian TV and talk shit about Putin or say that Democracy is the best solution for everyone and alienate the Russians (who will line his pockets by attending/watching the GP). I see it as simple politicizing and pandering to increase profit; nothing more.

edit, this isn't me standing up for the guy, I think he's a greedy little troll...which could help explain his actions. He'll be pandering to the US in Austin next week.

It's just Bernie talking. People put too much into what he says. Like I said above I think he is just pandering to the audience. He says a lot of stuff that doesn't end up as anything. There is "no such thing as bad publicity" and all that. He's a businessman interested in money. There is a GP in Russia that could bring him more money. He's not going to go on Russian TV and talk shit about Putin or say that Democracy is the best solution for everyone and alienate the Russians (who will line his pockets by attending/watching the GP). I see it as simple politicizing and pandering to increase profit; nothing more.

edit, this isn't me standing up for the guy, I think he's a greedy little troll...which could help explain his actions. He'll be pandering to the US in Austin next week.

This.

you can keep on talking how much tv is going to die as you want. the big players are where the money is. they will switch immediately when the time has come. they wont miss anything.
you dont want to cut the middle man if he is probably paying more than its worth (!), plus taking the risk to probably not finding a way to generate enough revenue.

No question. The middle man comes with straight cash homie, and bears the advertising burden. And when I say straight cash, I mean crazy numbers like 28 billion over 9 years like the deal the NBA did here in the States last year. The NBA will happily sell you a streaming service, but TV and sports will be happily married for many more years to come.

ramparter

Banned
Guys I show in my sleep that I was watching a race, Lewis retired and Vettel won. I'm not joking. But I just saw the standings again, its really over isn't it?

Guys I show in my sleep that I was watching a race, Lewis retired and Vettel won. I'm not joking. But I just saw the standings again, its really over isn't it?

Championship standings? Don't be surprised to see Vettel in with a chance in the last race. Maybe the most ludicrously outlandish chance ever, but still a chance.

Selfie of the year

G1R0BaN.jpg

Anyone know of any good bars that show F1 in London? Not just a tiny screen in the corner.

There's this place in some area that was amazing. My friend took me to it for the world cup matches last year and they say they show F1 too

Now I need to get you the name lol

EDIT: http://www.cafekick.co.uk

Can't see F1 in their schedule though. But I remember the guy there telling me they show F1. I think it's better to call them first

Mastah

It certainly packed more excitement than a few F1 seasons combined.

Nah. I don't see how racing on the super fast, flowing circuit with small tarmac run-offs only in corners where there's hard braking (grass and gravel - what century is it? they should put tarmac everywhere asap!) with tyres designed solely with performance in mind (where's tyre degradation? everyone loves saving tyres and driving 2 seconds off the possible pace) can be exciting. 27 laps of riders racing on their own, flat out, with fantastic skills and pure bravery on display - BORING.

Thankfully there's F1 next weekend. Tilkedrome, DRS, Pirellis, who-hoo.

I just fucking hate how F1 changed after 2010 :( When I see races like MotoGP served today or few events of Formula Renault 3.5 this season, with battles lasting several laps, overtaking, defending and how hard they are pushing to the limit while racing, I remember this is what F1 used to be and how hooked up I was :( Today, I almost don't give a shit about F1, that's just sad.

Planet F1 posted this picture of Vettel with an article on Twitter.

0CCzOS5.jpg

I wonder if we'll get some use out of it next year, when the honeymoon phase between Ferrari and him is over.

We all assumed this year would look a lot like that.

That's true. And while Ferrari made a bigger jump than expected, I just can't see them closing the gap or getting ahead of Mercedes. For the sport's sake I obviously hope that it happens, but the tifoso in me just can't believe anymore.

tomtom94

I love the old "F1 isn't the same any more!!" arguments emerging again immediately after we've had a cracking race in Sochi. Notably, also one where the much-maligned tarmac run-offs didn't seem to help the drivers much.

I only ever see the argument made during the times when one team and driver is particularly dominant, it came up when Vettel was winning and it came up when Schumacher was winning. So I'm guessing it's that again since Hamilton and Mercedes are untouchable at the moment. And while I'd be the first to agree that 2015 has been less exciting all around I really can't help but feel people are pointing at the wrong targets.

ramparter

Banned
I wonder if we'll get some use out of it next year, when the honeymoon phase between Ferrari and him is over.
You mean when he'll get his 5th title? Ferrari will be second fastest but it'll be a 2000 repeat. Their reliability/strategy/no1 driver team/race performance will get them the title.

Aiii

So not worth it
I want Vettel to win the title just so we can finally shut up those "he's not really that good, it was all his car" naysayer's.

Also, because of the hilarious shots of Alonso post Vettel-title win we'll get.

I want Vettel to win the title just so we can finally shut up those "he's not really that good, it was all his car" naysayer's.

Also, because of the hilarious shots of Alonso post Vettel-title win we'll get.

As much as I want to give the title to Hamilton this year (because he and his team did pretty much everything right so far), it would be fucking hilarious if Vettel still got it somehow this year. Even with a similar tiny margin he beat Alonso with.

Just to see Alonso's face.

You mean when he'll get his 5th title? Ferrari will be second fastest but it'll be a 2000 repeat. Their reliability/strategy/no1 driver team/race performance will get them the title.

Ferrari doesn't have a stellar strategy team anymore and it would also require Mercedes to have way more reliability issues, which isn't going to happen all of the sudden.

Zaru

2000? Reliability? The Ferraris had more DNFs than the McLarens though

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
It would take a miracle for that to happen now...

Yeah, it won't happen. It would need two DNFs from Hamilton and two wins from Vettel to make that a faint possibility, and even then Hamilton and Rosberg would still have the speed advantage.

But it would be hilarious.

I thought the young driver test in Yas was substituted for 2 sessions at A1 Ring and Barcelona?

You're right :( I wanted to witness full Honda power this year.

Arai post Sochi:
- Both drivers must have had tough time with worn out tyres in the final stage of the race, but they were concentrating on the race without saying anything, to the extent that you'd think radio had broken down. They are so exceptional in race management.

- With such limited mileage/time, I think we managed to put things together well. It's not like we could overcome our issues of course, but we managed to adapt to the circuit as much as we could (within our limitation) by acknowledging/understanding our issues.

- We had to make our drivers drive patiently. Even so, that they brought cars home is what has led to the result eventually, and we could have race like this thanks mostly to the drivers. I realized once again that they are such fantastic drivers. That we could score points, and managed to bring both cars to the finish more than anything, is quite an encouragement to the team and should lead us in good direction.

On PU
- Thank you for noticing the difference in sound (laughs). In terms of PU overall, even though deployment issue remains, ICE side is maturing quite well. Combustion of ICE is an eternal theme, plus it's ICE that you'll have to continue improving in order to keep increasing the output even more after/when finally resolving deployment issue, otherwise you cannot win, so.

- ICE is improving but ERS stays the same atm. ERS/deployment issue is interrelated with the whole packaging side of thing so that it's difficult/impossible to make changes to it this season. We know what the issue is and what to do with it.

- The path for drastic improvement on deployment for the next season is clear within the team.

- "eager to race with next year's spec as soon as possible" (an anonymous engineer quoted)
Translated by Muramasa

McLaren will be the only team to challenge the Mercs next season.

dubc35

- ICE is improving but ERS stays the same atm. ERS/deployment issue is interrelated with the whole packaging side of thing so that it's difficult/impossible to make changes to it this season. We know what the issue is and what to do with it.

If they can get this together, and it doesn't require a redesign of the size zero rear end, they should be much more competitive next year. Ferrari is the only team (barely) challenging Mercedes now so for McHonda to next year would be a long shot.

Top Bottom