• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

If they can get this together, and it doesn't require a redesign of the size zero rear end, they should be much more competitive next year. Ferrari is the only team (barely) challenging Mercedes now so for McHonda to next year would be a long shot.

Not going to happen. They already know that running at the RPMs required for the size zero rear end is all but impossible (the engineering tolerances required are beyond comprehension). They'll most likely do the sensible thing and give themselves more room to work with.

Zeknurn

http://wtf1.co.uk/red-bull-audi-f1-concept/

I9LVpwW.jpg

QWJQkQ8.jpg

HAZFizo.jpg

OQfp0Ne.jpg

Whoa.

dubc35

Not going to happen. They already know that running at the RPMs required for the size zero rear end is all but impossible (the engineering tolerances required are beyond comprehension). They'll most likely do the sensible thing and give themselves more room to work with.

Thanks. I haven't looked into it too much so I wasn't sure how possible/impossible it was; looks like the latter.

http://wtf1.co.uk/red-bull-audi-f1-concept/

IMG]http://i.imgur.com/I9LVpwW.jpg[/IMG]
IMG]http://i.imgur.com/QWJQkQ8.jpg[/IMG]
IMG]http://i.imgur.com/HAZFizo.jpg[/IMG]
IMG]http://i.imgur.com/OQfp0Ne.jpg[/IMG]

Whoa.

That looks really good! ....which means it won't happen.

From what I've read it was impossible to get the whole design philosophy working because they were setting the turbos on fire.

Ark

I want Vettel to win the title just so we can finally shut up those "he's not really that good, it was all his car" naysayer's.

Also, because of the hilarious shots of Alonso post Vettel-title win we'll get.

Do those people still exist?

Aiii

So not worth it
Bernie Ecclestone has told The Independent Newspaper that he would want the V8 engines compiled with a KERs package to be made available from 2016.

Due to Mercedes and Ferrari's stronghold that they have on the Formula One's Grid order, F1's Ringmaster Bernie Ecclestone feels that something needs to be done to make the sport a fairer championship - as this weekend will more than likely see Lewis Hamilton grab his 3rd World Championship with 4 races to spare. To level things out, this can be down by dropping the V6 Power Units for the V8s.

The V8 Engines will not only level the playing field, but it will also increase the noise that has been a major critique of the V6. The Independent asked Ecclestone what if the teams don't agree with the change? The Briton gave little remorse, as he felt if the teams do not like it, then they will just have to deal with it.

“I don’t think we should get consent from the teams. I think we should just do it and say to them, ‘If you don’t like it you can go to arbitration’. We could get the V8s back next year. People can build them in no time so we ought to do it.”

Ecclestone also continued his stance that the Engine Manufacturers have too much control of the sport. And what does not help the situation is that there is not any independent supplier such as a Cosworth to help with new teams or even existing ones who do not have Power Unit or are unhappy with their current supplier, IE: Red Bull and Toro Rosso.

“If Ferrari only agreed to supply one customer engine, Mercedes only agreed to supply one, nobody would have any engines. That’s exactly what the situation is. We need an independent engine supplier. I’ve been on about this now for a year and a half"

Just to provide some context to MJ's post.

But yeah, I guess Ecclestone figures he can introduce the rule, ignore the teams and then wait for them to fight it so he can drag that on long enough that there's no alternative for 2016 then to have the V8's around, even if the teams win the appeal.

Don't know much about cars, are V8s inherentely easier to make than V6+turbo and thus should level the playing field?

More or less yes.

The teams had been using and designing V8's for years so all the groundwork and development is done.

V6's at this sort of spec are a really new technology for these cars so they're very much in their infancy in comparison to the V8 blocks.

Jezbollah

The idea of moving back to V8s is going to initially go down like a lead balloon after all the R&D that has gone into the Hybrid V6s.

dubc35

The idea of moving back to V8s is going to initially go down like a lead balloon after all the R&D that has gone into the Hybrid V6s.

I was thinking the same. I'd love them back but I doubt this will happen (in 2016 at least). Doesn't the new formula start in 2017?

tomtom94

Utterly preposterous idea that, worryingly, suggests that Bernie is losing his grip on the one thing that makes him effective in his role, namely his ability to mollify and please all of the different groups that make up F1.

Aiii

So not worth it
You think Bernie doesn't know exactly what he says, how he says it and when he says it?

Come on now, the guy knows exactly what he's doing.

tomtom94

You think Bernie doesn't know exactly what he says, how he says it and when he says it?

Come on now, the guy knows exactly what he's doing.

I became unconvinced of that around the time he tried and failed to get the medals system imposed on F1.

Even if he is saying it deliberately it doesn't change the fact that the idea is preposterous.

Aiii

So not worth it
I became unconvinced of that around the time he tried and failed to get the medals system imposed on F1.

Even if he is saying it deliberately it doesn't change the fact that the idea is preposterous.

Propose some preposterous that'll make everyone in the room go "no, Bernie, fuck off" and then proposing something more sensible that is what he actually wants to happen is what he's been doing for as long as I've been following F1.

Didn't Bernie also propose random sprinklers on the track to create random wet races? Why not just turn the sport into Mario Kart while we're at it.
tumblr_n6grb83JMQ1sr3brno1_500.gif

dubc35

Propose some preposterous that'll make everyone in the room go "no, Bernie, fuck off" and then proposing something more sensible that is what he actually wants to happen is what he's been doing for as long as I've been following F1.

Pretty much this.

PS Bernie has been on a roll lately, lol. He knows we need that silly season.

dubc35

I started writing a reply praising Bernie for trying to provide some institutional control since Jean Todt seems completely disinterested, but it looks like Jon Noble beat me to the punch.

Some comments on the article (general comments, not directed at anyone)

Both Ecclestone and Mosley talked about F1 not delivering in the entertainment stakes, it being too predictable and having become more of an 'engineering' challenge rather than one for 'drivers.' Costs were also deemed out of control.
It needs to be both, but I would agree that it's too far into the engineering side right now. (Although I can be found geeking out on the engineering of the cars so it's not a complete bad thing, IMO.)
"We should be asking the public – what do you not like about F1 today and what did you like about F1 before..."
Wasn't this the purpose of the driver's survey?
There were several references throughout the interview from both Ecclestone and Mosley about the need sometimes to cause upset to make things better. And both were open that Todt is a man who prefers to avoid such conflict.
Todt's past at Ferrari for sure plays a role in this.

Bernie has Bernie to blame, and Jean Todt is a worthless FIA president considering he's not protecting the FIA's prize asset - the F1 world championship

Bernie should of called Ferrari on their bluff and never given them the power they have now - veto, tens of millions just for showing up and letting the teams decide the rules. The best he can do now is leverage another manufacturer against Ferrari.

Dietrich Mateschitz, Sergio Marchionne, Carlos Ghosn or Dieter Zetsche have more power than Bernie. Problem is they come and go as they see fit.

It's such a shame that Todt killed Mosley's chance of running for the FIA presidency. I'm sure he would do a much better job than Todt.

Fuck off. The two people most responsible for fucking up F1 are Bernie and Mosley, and it's not even close. Ignoring everything else, how can anybody forgive the "commercial rights" deal. By far the most obvious scam I've ever seen in sport and it's costing the sport hundreds of million a year.

Fuck off. The two people most responsible for fucking up F1 are Bernie and Mosley, and it's not even close. Ignoring everything else, how can anybody forgive the "commercial rights" deal. By far the most obvious scam I've ever seen in sport and it's costing the sport hundreds of million a year.

Is it?

The new venues pay a lot of money and the TV rights at a record high. No one gives a rats ass about the fans going to the circuit except the circuit owners.

F1 is financially sound, maybe even better than ever.

Top Bottom