• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Aiii

So not worth it
"Mclaren's position on Honda negotiating with Red Bull is unknown at present"

Um, it's pretty well-documented they have the power of veto, no?

Has this ever been said by anyone official, though?

The RB -> Honda thing hasn't been seriously discussed yet because RB wasn't that interested in Honda engines until (apparently) now, so maybe there's no such thing as any veto-power by McLaren.

Maybe they have a voice, maybe they pay for exclusivity, but I don't remember anyone officially announcing any of those things to be true. But do correct me if I'm wrong in this.

For the same reason Mercedes and Ferrari doesn't want to supply Red Bull with engines.
But those two are fighting for race wins and consistent podiums. McLaren is back there fighting for scraps, I know what you mean but at the moment they don't exactly have the luxury of multiple data sources. If the engine is drastically improved next year fine they can keep their exclusivity, but at the moment they're data starved.

Mastah

CSAhtOGW0AAFxu8.jpg:orig

Erm... yeah.

Mastah

Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1 8m8 minutes ago

It's going to get wet later today. But one team insider said just now: "Wait until tomorrow. It's going to get worse. A lot worse"

I think if nothing changes overnight, tomorrow's running will be cancelled and quali will be postponed to Sunday.

dubc35

Flash flood watch until 7am local time Sunday morning (there's still a chance!)

sorry for the caps, just how it was formatted

... HEAVY RAINFALL TODAY THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT WILL LEAD TO A HIGH THREAT FOR FLASH FLOODING ACROSS MUCH OF SOUTH CENTRAL TEXAS...
.AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH WILL INTERACT WITH INTENSE HURRICANE PATRICIA OVER THE EASTERN PACIFIC TO CREATE A HEAVY RAINFALL PATTERN OVER TEXAS TODAY THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT. EXPECT LOCALLY HEAVY TO BEGIN THIS MORNING AND INCREASE OVER THE AREA THROUGH TONIGHT. HEAVIEST RAINS ARE EXPECTED LATE TONIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT WITH THE HEAVY RAIN THREAT EXPECTED TO SHIFT EAST ON SUNDAY. HIGHEST RAINFALL POTENTIAL IS EXPECTED TO BE GENERALLY EAST OF A MOUNTAIN HOME TO PEARSALL LINE WHERE LARGE AREAS OF 5 TO 10 INCH STORM TOTAL AMOUNTS ARE EXPECTED. ISOLATED HIGHER TOTALS OF 10 TO 15 INCHES WILL BE POSSIBLE OVER THIS AREA AND ESPECIALLY EAST OF I-35. RAINFALL AMOUNTS WEST OF MOUNTAIN HOME TO PEARSALL SHOULD BE MOSTLY IN THE 1 TO 3 INCH RANGE WITH AN ISOLATED 6 INCH TOTAL POSSIBLE. THESE HEAVY RAINFALL AMOUNTS WILL LIKELY PRODUCE DANGEROUS FLASH FLOODING... AND AREAS ALONG AND EAST OF I-35 COULD SEE SIGNIFICANT RIVER RISES TO AT LEAST A MODERATE FLOOD STAGE.

Tubie

A massive historic 200mph+ storm is about to hit Mexico and rain from that is going to reach Austin, that's why they are predicting so much rain this weekend.

They will probably have to do Qs on Sunday.

Mastah

Emlyn Hughes ‏@radarguruf1

While at Austin, #F1 is about to MISS the first flood of the day. Two storms tracking north, set to miss either side

CSA-YHwWwAAIP6j.jpg:large

But tomorrow:

Doug Schneider ‏@Race4caster

Latest @NWSWPC rainfall forecast has 5-7 inches of rain at #USGP (white dot), most of it coming Sat PM thru Sun AM.

CSA7Et5WoAAdeCP.png:large

Mastah

Charles Bradley ‏@Motorsport_Ed 5m5 minutes ago

Track almost bone dry at @circuitamericas – but dark clouds now threatening the anticipated eight inches of rain over the coming hours.

Aaaand it's gone:

Charles Bradley ‏@Motorsport_Ed 46s47 seconds ago

Pouring now. Track soaked. First thunderclap. Day over?

Zeknurn

Bernie was in a good mood.

He said he's working on a race in California but not Long Beach.

Also Trump might show up. USA sure knows how to one up Russia.

Edit: Ted saying that the rumour around the paddock is it's Laguna Seca.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Jolyon Palmer confirmed for Lotus. Good for him since he's the 2014 GP2 champion. First GP2 champion one to reach F1 since 2011's Grosjean, who was in F1 already before he became GP2 champion though. Before that, it was 2010's Maldonado.

And he's another son of a former F1 driver. Seems to be a common thing!

I take back what I said about 15-20" rainfall totals being silly. One small city southeast of Dallas has received more than 10 inches just this afternoon. For a comparison it "only" rained 2" at COTA today.
Edit: Ted saying that the rumour around the paddock is it's Laguna Seca.
Is that track remotely up to current F1 safety standards? The facilities, accommodations and amenities certainly aren't. A laundry list of problems I can think of, but it's a nice track that hits Bernie checkmarks. Perhaps that's enough.

Infineon/Sonoma would feel like a better fit as a track and has a perfect location just outside San Francisco but has some of the same problems.
If they Tilke-fy Laguna Seca it will be a fucking shame. That corkscrew will never make it.
Between California zoning laws and the bumpy topography it'd be very hard to change the footprint of the track. And, yeah, don't mess with it. It's a signature enough of a circuit as it is. It can host many an event and many a series, but F1 shouldn't be on that list. To rant a bit, I guess you might be able to build an extension on after the corkscrew and reconnect just below.

Edit:
Incoming disaster. I had no idea any of this was in the works behind the scenes. "This will please RBR but, hey, let's annoy the shit out of Mercedes and Ferrari because reasons!"

Top Bottom