• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
lol?

You know it was the season where Vettel had to retire from many races, because of his car. And who was the one who gained many points because of it? Alonso ... so in the end Alonso had bad luck in this one race, but was lucky the whole season.

It wasn't even a bad decision, he had to cover both Webber and Vettel for the championship and when Webber came in early he followed because Webber was 2nd in the championship. And if he would've managed to pass Petrov he would've been a three time WC. But he didn't and isn't.

Pitting under VSC is obviously worse than under a normal safety car. They even told Hamilton that he would lose his position against Vettel mostlikely after the VSC, so the safety car saved his ass because he could get new tires and only lost one position but was straight behind him with new tires.
Nothing could have stopped Hamilton of also pitting one lap later than Rosberg, it's not that the others are allowed to close the gap.

It wasn't even a bad decision, he had to cover both Webber and Vettel for the championship and when Webber came in early he followed because Webber was 2nd in the championship. And if he would've managed to pass Petrov he would've been a three time WC. But he didn't and isn't.

I remember how butthurt Ferrari was about Petrov.

Pitting under VSC is obviously worse than under a normal safety car. They even told Hamilton that he would lose his position against Vettel mostlikely after the VSC, so the safety car saved his ass because he could get new tires and only lost one position but was straight behind him with new tires.
Nothing could have stopped Hamilton of also pitting one lap later than Rosberg, it's not that the others are allowed to close the gap.

The best option, by far, was to stack both Mercedes during the VSC, at the time.

The VSC ended at the end of the following lap, I believe, so had Lewis gone into the pits, he would have lost a lot more time. Lewis was lucky to get a full SC a few laps later, but he got majorly screwed by the VSC. So in the end, luck was evened out.

Blastoise

Banned
Rosberg is such a cuck to Lewis.

He has the talent. But Lewis is just in his head. I don't see things changing next year.

Congrats to HAM.

TimelyGroundedGrayreefshark.gif
"Yo Nico, bruh, let's go hit the podium."
"Fuck you man, I'm too salty, I'm just going to stare into oblivion until somebody drags me over there."

He couldve won in 2007 too, if he hadnt lost his marbles at the Canadian GP. And been a more deserving WDC than Raikkonen.

Shaneus

So I missed most of this race, watched the first 15 or so laps (until Danny was overtaken) and then heard some on BBC5 radio I think after about lap 40 or 50... what happened to the RBRs, did they just have a massive speed drop off once everyone switched to slicks, or was there a shitty pit move involved?

During the race, Coulthard heavily implied Rosberg was trying to lose a position to Vettel to compromise Ham winning the WDC. I thought it was curious how his pace just dropped the last three laps, as if he was having a think about letting Seb catch him.

Ark

Nico should have stepped up if he didn't want to feel so shit.

He's a good driver, but he can't hold a candle to the likes of Hamilton and Vettel.

Chris R

Cota shuttle situation was fucked up. 2.5 hours to get on a shuttle. Don't remember it being this bad in 2012, but I was sitting t12 then, not at t9 like I did this time, I also got on the track after the race but that tkok forever too

Full write up and pics when I get back to NY hotel in 2 hours or whatever

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
The thing that saddens me the most about Nico's performance is that despite the pretty clear underwhelming results of this (and also the last season), he still managed to beat my childhood hero Schumacher. Makes Schumi look even worse now.

Although, to put it into perspective, it's not that Nico lacks speed. But he really is inconsistent and not as reliable as he needs to be. I'd be pissed to if I fucked up the race and lost the championship in the way he did today.

The thing that saddens me the most about Nico's performance is that despite the pretty clear underwhelming results of this (and also the last season), he still managed to beat my childhood hero Schumacher. Makes Schumi look even worse now.

Hardly. I'm no Schumacher fan but it's clear he was well past it when he came back. A shadow of his former self.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Hardly. I'm no Schumacher fan but it's clear he was well past it when he came back. A shadow of his former self.

Yeah, many say that and it certainly contributed. I am not completely convinced though, that a few years of additional age take away that much of your capabilities. I have no comparison to other older drivers at hand though.

Yeah, many say that and it certainly contributed. I am not completely convinced though, that a few years of additional age take away that much of your capabilities. I have no comparison to other older drivers at hand though.

He was absolutely not the Schumi of old. He was smashing into the back of people left, right and centre. He was the Maldonator before Maldonado during his Mercedes stint.
Its just an unfortunate period of time for him, much like Michael Jordan and his Washington Wizards stint.
Youd be a fool to use that as a marker of his abilities. Just as you would be foolish to compare 2011 Lewis Hamilton to 2015 Lewis Hamilton.

dubc35

So I missed most of this race, watched the first 15 or so laps (until Danny was overtaken) and then heard some on BBC5 radio I think after about lap 40 or 50... what happened to the RBRs, did they just have a massive speed drop off once everyone switched to slicks, or was there a shitty pit move involved?
Circuit dried up and the current pecking order revealed itself. RBR had a huge chassis advantage on the inter tires.

Man, Rosberg needs to grow a fucking spine. He has let Hamilton push him out of so many positions. If he had any moxy, we would have had some awesome Mercedes on Mercedes crashes this year, but he is a garbage #2 driver through and through. He will never win the title. Crazy race. Sucks that Vettel couldn't at least push it one more race. I hate when the season ends with races left.

So, I ended up leaving the track after the 15 lap or so, only because I drank a little too much. Anyway, it was a good fist time experience. I really enjoyed the Porsche GT3 supercup, loved the engine sound much more than the F1 cars.

Chris R

So, I ended up leaving the track after the 15 lap or so, only because I drank a little too much. Anyway, it was a good fist time experience. I really enjoyed the Porsche GT3 supercup, loved the engine sound much more than the F1 cars.

I mean you missed an awesome race, but if you took the shuttle you got out while the getting was good. FINALLY back at my hotel room, the 2+ hour queue for the shuttle was pure fucking shit.

I agree with the engine sound comment, but F1 cars still pump some nice dBs, and most sounded good (Honda sounded sick all race).

My spot I picked (T9) was terrific. I was able to stay dry, and I wasn't standing/sitting in mud. T1 had a nice view, but when I arrived at 9:45ish it was already a mudslide and mostly camped out with people and their chairs. So I wandered along the track, stopping by the beer garden as I walked, and ended up at T9. I had a view of 6/7/8/9, 11, 12 (and most of the DRS zone) and a TV screen. Here's a picture I grabbed during the race of the 6/7/8 complex.

During the race there was only really a "quiet" period of no visible car action after the final safety car period. If I had one negative thing to say about the race it was the length of the SC and VSC periods. Glad Lewis won, glad the racing was good, but next time I come I'm going to "splurge" for T1 seats and make 100% sure I get an on-site parking pass.

edit: forgot to mention, I was kinda bummed the T9 entrance to the track was delayed by what felt like forever. Granted I wasn't expecting to be able to hoof it to the main straight in time for the ceremony, but I was kinda hoping to be one of the first to the spot where Kimi hit the wall to see if I could make off with some carbon fibre bits, instead I just got a few nice pieces of clag.

Shaneus

Circuit dried up and the current pecking order revealed itself. RBR had a huge chassis advantage on the inter tires.
Fair enough. I can't see them with their current setup having such an advantage in these conditions on any other track. Kvyat binning it wasn't great either, might've cost them 4th in WCC by the end of the season.

Mohonky

Although, to put it into perspective, it's not that Nico lacks speed. But he really is inconsistent and not as reliable as he needs to be. I'd be pissed to if I fucked up the race and lost the championship in the way he did today.

As some others said, that wasn't the Ferrari Schumacher. Him coming back wasn't about being WDC again, he is too past it, the cars are too different and he wasn't hungry like he was previously. He was just scratching an itch and helping out more than anything, mostly likely acting like a tutor for Rosberg and helping develop the chasis.

He never even bothered to fight Nico on more than one occasion, he just let him go by, there is no way that would have happen in the past, think he even gave Vettel a freebie in Brazil when he won the championship over Alonso by not putting up a challenge for his German compatriate.

Anyway happy for Hamilton. 3 drivers championships, well done

I mean you missed an awesome race, but if you took the shuttle you got out while the getting was good. FINALLY back at my hotel room, the 2+ hour queue for the shuttle was pure fucking shit.

After reading the comments about the race I should of stayed, especially the money I spent for MG trackside. I shoudn't have drank so much before the race.

Anyway here some videos I shot from where I was sitting.

4K with a Galaxy S6, race starts at 35 sec mark.
https://youtu.be/XT5Bi1IB4Ps

Some other lap, 1080/60p
https://youtu.be/mIz9dUvcdMY

Rosbergs bottle crashed again huh?

Dude needs to grow a spine. He lets Hamilton bully him around the track too much.

He should've let Hamilton plough into him to ruin both their races.

To be a WDC you need to have that killer instinct where you're willing to do whatever it takes and he doesn't have that.

hamchan

Wow, Ric is pointing fingers today. Usually he's a bit passive when he get's involved in incidents.

Where? He's friends with Hulkenberg so I don't think he'd be too harsh with him.

Poor Danny Ric had an unlucky year I must say. Dude has looked a lot stronger than Kvyat imo, yet he's behind in the championship.

Mastah

He was absolutely not the Schumi of old. He was smashing into the back of people left, right and centre. He was the Maldonator before Maldonado during his Mercedes stint.
Its just an unfortunate period of time for him, much like Michael Jordan and his Washington Wizards stint.
Youd be a fool to use that as a marker of his abilities. Just as you would be foolish to compare 2011 Lewis Hamilton to 2015 Lewis Hamilton.

I'm not really sure about that. He looked like a fool at times in 2003 and 2005, when he had the best car/competetive car, but had to actually race against other people. It also happened on few occasions in 2004 and 2006, so I don't buy this excuse. If he was making these mistakes at 34-37 in great cars, then why is it a surprise that when he returned to Mercedes, which wasn't a top car, and under new regulations which brought back actual racing rather than sprints he so excelled in, Schumi made the same clumsy errors while racing other drivers?

People forget Schumacher was dominating in specific era. Sprint racing, tailor made tyres, other drivers testing parts and set-ups solely for him, not really competetive grid. Then bam, he returns in 2010 and there's no refuelling, tyres are the same for everyone, there's no testing so he has to do all set-up work on his own during 3 practice sessions and there are 5 other champions and 7 race winners sporting over 110 victories.

whats Schumachers status now anyway?

how long has he been in a coma?

He's basically a vegetable :(

“I do keep in touch [with Schumacher’s family], but we try and keep a balance of going to see him against calling, and not being a pain. I’ve been to see him a few times; Corinna, his wife, calls me occasionally and keeps me updated.

“We just keep praying every day that he’ll recover to a stage where…” Brawn’s voice trails off momentarily, before he gathers his thoughts. “It’s slow,” he goes on, “but there’s always hope.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/interview/ross-brawn-obe/

LeBoef

Cota shuttle situation was fucked up. 2.5 hours to get on a shuttle. Don't remember it being this bad in 2012, but I was sitting t12 then, not at t9 like I did this time, I also got on the track after the race but that tkok forever too

Full write up and pics when I get back to NY hotel in 2 hours or whatever

what does this mean? what person waits 2,5 hours for a shuttle for a short ride? were you like 20km away? is it an ontrack shuttle?

you can walk 10k in 2,5h easily.
sorry i dont get this.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
As some others said, that wasn't the Ferrari Schumacher. Him coming back wasn't about being WDC again, he is too past it, the cars are too different and he wasn't hungry like he was previously. He was just scratching an itch and helping out more than anything, mostly likely acting like a tutor for Rosberg and helping develop the chasis.

He never even bothered to fight Nico on more than one occasion, he just let him go by, there is no way that would have happen in the past, think he even gave Vettel a freebie in Brazil when he won the championship over Alonso by not putting up a challenge for his German compatriate.

Anyway happy for Hamilton. 3 drivers championships, well done

I think comeback Schumi was like Vettel 2014. He wanted to win the WDC again but once he realized the car isn't up for it (or even wins) he lost interest. The really sad thing is if he had renewed his contract instead of waiting for the deadline he'd most likely never had his accident (preparations for the coming season, Schumacher would've been in the simulator instead of skiing) and won the WDC in 2014. But we have what we have.

what does this mean? what person waits 2,5 hours for a shuttle for a short ride? were you like 20km away? is it an ontrack shuttle?

you can walk 10k in 2,5h easily.
sorry i dont get this.

There were express shuttles to and from downtown Austin and the COTA Racetrack. Queue must have been long after the race back to Downtown Austin. I left mid-race so shuttle line was non-existent but our bus was full. When I took the express shuttle 8AM in the morning to the race track it was about an hour wait.

Top Bottom