• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Zeknurn

There won't be any changes for the 2017 season if Mercedes gets their way.

@adamcooperF1: FIA confirms that @MassaFelipe19 has been excluded from 8th place for a tyre infringement
@adamcooperF1: The FIA checked @MassaFelipe19's right rear tyre on the grid and temp was significantly higher than allowed

Vettel with some truthbombs.

SV: 'I think on paper this is one of the easiest tracks to overtake. Sure, if you're behind you always want the DRS zone to be longer because artificially it helps you to get closer. Naturally if you are only a tenth or two quicker then it's very difficult to pass - whereas if you're a second quicker it becomes more easy. I think in general what we need to follow another car closer in medium speed, high speed, slow speed corners is more mechanical grip. So shift the percentage between aero – mechanical more towards more mechanical. How to do that? I think we need better tyres that allow us to go quicker. Drivers want to be quicker. So, I think the solution is very simple. Unfortunately the sport is very political with different interests from different people. Yeah. I think it’s fair enough to give whoever tyre manufacturer, in this case Pirelli, the chance to improve their tyres – but we need to run. But since the responsible people, the teams, whoever, can’t agree on something, it will be difficult to make progress. Unfortunately the people who literally are paying for that are sitting on the grandstands.'

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121820

Aiii

So not worth it
12219541_969869669721126_2753245049895690687_n.jpg

Alonso and Max exchanged helmets. Maybe he's hoping there's some of that Renault power left in it that can be transferred into his McHonda.

Shaneus

What an amazing race.
Sarcasm? I can usually tell how good a race is by how many posts are in this thread, and I think we'd be lucky if it cracked 100 for the race and 50 for the quali.

What happened to Ricciardo? I saw that great save in quali (thanks Sunhi) but other than that, his results indicate he either had a poor drive or his car was just shit.

Fixing his hair, thinking he's the hotshot.
"See this Lewis? I have the one thing you'll never have again... real hair!"

Feels like Merc have made team orders to let Rosberg win to take second in the championship.

After the race BBC had an interview with Toto Wolff and he said now that they have 1st and 2nd the gloves can come off for Abu Dhabi. Have they been on? Are they not allowed to race?

Probably bollocks but seems really odd the change of form between them for the last two races. Wouldn't even surprise me if the entire season was planned out.

Lego Boss

Feels like Merc have made team orders to let Rosberg win to take second in the championship.

After the race BBC had an interview with Toto Wolff and he said now that they have 1st and 2nd the gloves can come off for Abu Dhabi. Have they been on? Are they not allowed to race?

Probably bollocks but seems really odd the change of form between them for the last two races. Wouldn't even surprise me if the entire season was planned out.

Why doesn't this seem as controversial as it should do?

Also, is it standard that if you've got the lead into the first corner, then you have it until the first round of stops and then it's 'gloves off'? I heard this once somewhere, but not sure where as it hasn't been repeated (may have been Coulthard).

Staab

As far as I've understood it, Mercedes give strategy call priority to the car running in first, meaning that the second car is not allowed to undercut and only allowed to have a different strategy if it doesn't put both at risk of losing a 1-2 (i.e. car in 3rd over 1 pit-stop time further behind).

Also, is it standard that if you've got the lead into the first corner, then you have it until the first round of stops and then it's 'gloves off'? I heard this once somewhere, but not sure where as it hasn't been repeated (may have been Coulthard).

That wasn't generally how it used to work. A lot of teams did it with the system that you had until the first pitstop to make your pass (either in or out of the pits), and after that it was hold station.

Some teams have been known to do the first corner thing too though (if you lead at the first corner, the race is yours, aside from if you have issues).

I've never heard of teams telling their drivers not to race until after the first round of pitstops though.

How the fuck did they manage that?

Well!

"The engine ran reliably, but unfortunately it did not deliver the expected improvements in performance," said Renault Sport F1 Director of Operations Rémi Taffin.

"All the same, the reliable running ensured we gathered a lot of data to analyse how we can move forward to the final race of the year and going into the winter."

Renault's Managing Director, Cyril Abiteboul, emphasised the importance of running the engine, ahead of the manufacturer's anticipated takeover of Lotus.

"It was crucial to gather as much information as possible for the next stage in our development plans," said Abiteboul, echoing Taffin's sentiments.

"We must now look at the data accumulated from the weekend to establish its full performance potential, and adjust our development strategy accordingly."

Renault is basically using Red Bull as their guinea pig for their engine and team next year. Kinda funny, when you think about it.

Well no... because they wouldn't have known how far they were behind until the start of testing, and it's obviously too late to change massive amounts at that point. In this case they're testing one engine they have in their physical possession vs another. I appreciate a dyno tells you next to nothing in terms of driveability, but if it's telling them nothing in terms of outright power output then it's time to invest in your testing tech... especially given the limitations on in season, in vehicle testing.

Edit - Aside from that, obviously one of the major issues for Honda was packaging, so it's a different story again.

Jezbollah

Well!

"The engine ran reliably, but unfortunately it did not deliver the expected improvements in performance," said Renault Sport F1 Director of Operations Rémi Taffin.

"All the same, the reliable running ensured we gathered a lot of data to analyse how we can move forward to the final race of the year and going into the winter."

Renault's Managing Director, Cyril Abiteboul, emphasised the importance of running the engine, ahead of the manufacturer's anticipated takeover of Lotus.

"It was crucial to gather as much information as possible for the next stage in our development plans," said Abiteboul, echoing Taffin's sentiments.

"We must now look at the data accumulated from the weekend to establish its full performance potential, and adjust our development strategy accordingly."

Renault is basically using Red Bull as their guinea pig for their engine and team next year. Kinda funny, when you think about it.

Red Bull = Lotus Jr Team. hahawow

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I wonder what factors make it so difficult to test and develop an engine properly on a dyno. You should be able to drive the engine itself just as it would be driven in the car. You can also simulate the packaging. Problems probably arise from accurately simulating the airflow in corners for cooling as well as the movement of fluids inside the engine under g-forces?

dubc35

I wonder what factors make it so difficult to test and develop an engine properly on a dyno. You should be able to drive the engine itself just as it would be driven in the car. You can also simulate the packaging. Problems probably arise from accurately simulating the airflow in corners for cooling as well as the movement of fluids inside the engine under g-forces?

Good question. Not F1 but I remember the Ford GT program in the 60's talking about running their engine in 24 hour stints while accurately replicating the gears and revs for each part of the Le Sarthe 24h circuit. You could tell when the engine was running down the Mulsanne straight, for example.

Maybe it has to do with generating/capturing energy from the MGU-H/K, or lack of being able to?

Wouldn't be hard to simulate the current levels they'd expect though. Even the variability in the input. Where this stuff normally falls down is problems caused due to overheating / vibration.

dubc35

Wouldn't be hard to simulate the current levels they'd expect though. Even the variability in the input. Where this stuff normally falls down is problems caused due to overheating / vibration.

Mount the dyno on a fixed base shaker in an oven. Fuck it, autoclave that bitch.

RBR spending hit record £200m in 2014

The sport changed to the new 1.6-litre turbocharged V6 hybrid engines at the start of 2014 and the team admit that "adapting to new technical regulations, in particular the adoption of a new power unit, were the most significant cost drivers".

Their latest accounts reveal that spending went up by £7.4m to £203.6m with research and development getting the biggest chunk of £80.8m.

Employee numbers increased by 19 to 294 and the total expenditure on staff pay rose to £62.9m, with team boss Christian Horner reportedly receiving £2.6m.

http://planetf1.com/news/rbr-spending-hit-record-200m-in-2014/

Well no... because they wouldn't have known how far they were behind until the start of testing, and it's obviously too late to change massive amounts at that point. In this case they're testing one engine they have in their physical possession vs another. I appreciate a dyno tells you next to nothing in terms of driveability, but if it's telling them nothing in terms of outright power output then it's time to invest in your testing tech... especially given the limitations on in season, in vehicle testing.

Edit - Aside from that, obviously one of the major issues for Honda was packaging, so it's a different story again.

I'm sorry that I gave you a useless snarky response. I'd actually love to know more about the design and testing process and how and why it sometimes just doesn't translate to real-world usage. We had a similar thing during the Ferrari-Alonso era, we're it was repeated again and again how everything looked great in their simulations, but the improvements and designs didn't work in actual testing or sometimes made the car worse.

I'd actually love to know more about the design and testing process and how and why it sometimes just doesn't translate to real-world usage. We had a similar thing during the Ferrari-Alonso era, we're it was repeated again and again how everything looked great in their simulations, but the improvements and designs didn't work in actual testing or sometimes made the car worse.

That was more to do with aero, which is ridiculously hard, if not impossible to test with precision. Problem is, what works an a wind tunnel might not work when the wind speeds are changing continuously, or the air is disturbed in a particular way by the car in front etc etc.

CFD promised to solve a lot of these issues, but as of yet is nowhere near accurate enough.

That's Hugo Boss (33 years), Johnnie Walker (10 years) and now Tag Heuer stepping away from McLaren.

I'm not a McLaren fan by any means and I have no idea how financially stable they are, but I'd be truly sad if Ron runs the team into the ground.

Appalling. If I was a McLaren shareholder I'd be calling for Ron's head.

Appalling. If I was a McLaren shareholder I'd be calling for Ron's head.

McLaren Group is doing fine.

The F1 team isn't their biggest thing. Why do you think they're not investing in their own F1 engine, coz financially it doesn't make sense for them. They just want to use F1 as a marketing tool, and they know that they need to win to increase their brand value but it's not essential. Their road cars are doing phenomenally well

What Ron did with the Group is outstanding and he made the company financially independent. So sponsors? Surely a plus, but they won't make or break the team

EDIT: I'm assuming that everyone knows that McLaren develop their own engines for their road cars

Aiii

So not worth it
Actually, I stopped playing that after I realized all you had to do was have a one-stop strategy and you'd win every race.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Actually, I stopped playing that after I realized all you had to do was have a one-stop strategy and you'd win every race.

It's definitely a layer or two of complexity away from being a really great management game. Watching the cars goes round still scratches that itch though!

That's Hugo Boss (33 years), Johnnie Walker (10 years) and now Tag Heuer stepping away from McLaren.

I'm not a McLaren fan by any means and I have no idea how financially stable they are, but I'd be truly sad if Ron runs the team into the ground.
Damn. Their sponsors are like:
tumblr_mo6h6b9pjg1s2cbeio1_500.gif

xrnzaaas

Losing sponsors is never a good sign, even when you're stating that you're financially stable and can manage without them. Even the big teams like Ferrari have their additional sponsors, because in this sport having extra cash for development is always welcome. I really hope that it's not the slow death of McLaren. They need to ditch Honda, crawl back to Mercedes and hire better aero guys.

Top Bottom