• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

For the British drivers at least I think if you don't pay taxes then you shouldn't put the Union Jack on your car.

But then I am an idealist lefty hippie, so.

Seems nonsense to me, how much revenue does Silverstone generate because of Lewis and Jenson? Id hazard a guess that the race woudnt be sold out year after year without those two drivers and the fact theyve had legitimate chances to win that GP the last half decade.
Surely you dont think that event was selling out because of Paul Di Resta or Max Chilton...
The amount of people coming out to attend the the British GP year after year to cheer either of those two on is a considerable enough contribution to the Queens tax. Not to mention Lewis (and Jenson???...someone help me here!) attends the Goodwood Festival in the offseason, which puts more taxable revenue in the pockets of a homegrown British event.

You cannot sit there and say, like the Telegraph does, that Hamilton and Button simply pocket their money and run to Monaco, while giving nothing back to their country of birth.

No, theyve done their bit and then some.

I would go so far as to say Jenson doing regular special features with David Coulthard on the Beeb is in and of itself enough of a contribution to British motorsport.

Which brings me to my last and final point: let's not pretend for even a second that Button or Hamilton flying something other than a Union Jack would be reported and perceived by you Brits as anything other than a heinous act of betrayal.
Dont think for a second the rest of the English speaking world doesnt know that.
It doesnt take much imagination to envision the hysterical articles that would appear in the British press if Mr. #blessed and his main man Roscoe started flying under the banner of the Stars n Stripes.

I was happy to hear that Hamilton had that fender bender in Monaco last week. Not because I want to see Zondas damaged or Hamilton have an accident, but because it's nice to see that he actually lives there.

Ark

I don't give a fuck how much money they "bring in". They're not paying their taxes. Nobody else in life gets to get away with not paying their taxes except the rich, for some reason.

But now we're getting off topic.

Post it on Facebook.

Continue using Google.

Keep buying Starbucks.

etc etc

I don't give a fuck how much money they "bring in". They're not paying their taxes. Nobody else in life gets to get away with not paying their taxes except the rich, for some reason.

But now we're getting off topic.

Seems like your ultimate beef is with tax havens like Monaco. But your point is well taken.

Anyway, I read that Pirelli are claiming that they can shave as much as 4 seconds off lap times in 2017 if F1 allows them to, you know, construct tyres that arent designed to limit drivers pushing their car for the entirety of the race
Id love to see a tyre manufacturer, just once, be allowed to design and engineer the best tyre theyre capable of.
F1s tyre philosophy is such a silly contradiction: lets be on the cutting edge of engine technology but force our sole tyre manufacturer to make a product that doesnt allow our teams and drivers to extract the most out of the cars.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/11/22/f1-fanatic-round-up-2211-3/

About 1/4 the way down. BBC wants highlights-only next year, which got me thinking about how much goes into an F1 weekend for them. They send Edwards, DC, Lee McKenzie, EJ, Suzi Perry, Tom Clarkson and Jennie Gow. Maybe not all of them to each race, but that's loads just to present it. Then there's the camera and sound crew. I'm no expert on TV production, but there's surely got to be some more people going with them coordinating things. If it means F1 staying on the BBC live I'd prefer it to go back to the format it had on Grandstand where they went to the race at the F1 logo 5 minutes before the start and give us highlights of qualifying.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/11/22/f1-fanatic-round-up-2211-3/

About 1/4 the way down. BBC wants highlights-only next year, which got me thinking about how much goes into an F1 weekend for them. They send Edwards, DC, Lee McKenzie, EJ, Suzi Perry, Tom Clarkson and Jennie Gow. Maybe not all of them to each race, but that's loads just to present it. Then there's the camera and sound crew. I'm no expert on TV production, but there's surely got to be some more people going with them coordinating things. If it means F1 staying on the BBC live I'd prefer it to go back to the format it had on Grandstand where they went to the race at the F1 logo 5 minutes before the start and give us highlights of qualifying.

Honestly, with the cuts the BBC are facing, F1 coverage doesn't deserve a penny.

"Everything is great with the BBC. They just want to pay less money."

"I am getting very stupid and old, so I had to ask them if they had a contract with us. They said they had, so I told them that we had better stick to it then."

Good. If it wasn't for these BBC cunts all the races would still be FTA in the UK.

Lewis is at the NASCAR race today.

indexu2srn.gif

Maldonado is rarely not funny.

Maldonado collided with Ericsson at the Senna S, with the Swedish racer tipped into a spin and forced to make an extra pit-stop, dropping down to 17th place.

Maldonado, who was handed a five-second time penalty by the race stewards, believes that the collision was merely a racing incident.

"There's a saying that rubbing's racing," he said.

"In Formula 1 it sometimes feels like you get penalised for every bit of contact.

"I went for a gap that was there – and we all want to see overtaking in Formula 1 – and he closed the gap whilst defending his position.

"I saw it as a racing incident, and on a corner like Turn 1 [the Senna S] in Brazil the driver on the outside will usually come off worse.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/333165/maldonado-shrugs-off-ericsson-clash/

e: And because I haven't seen any other real news today, here's a picture of Lewis and Nico getting married.

bIn6DD9.jpg

dubc35

sigh...
Pirelli is hoping to engineer a sudden drop-off in performance back into its tyres for 2016 in order to make racing more exciting.
"We'd love to bring back a proper 'cliff', if we can engineer that in," Pirelli motorsport boss Paul Hembery said. "I don't know if we're going to have enough opportunity to get a solution that works perfectly during the Abu Dhabi test.

"We've got a couple of ideas. I'll know after Abu Dhabi whether it's worked or not. The ideal situation would be to have a 'cliff' back so we can get back to two or three stops rather than pushing the stint lengths as we've had as a tendency of the last two years."

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/14203588/pirelli-hoping-engineer-performance-cliff-2016-tyres

itsgreen

Pirelli can probably make awesome tyres that last 306km, but that isn't what we want to see.

The FIA gave them instructions on how the tyre should behave...

Stop blaming Pirelli for the order they were given...

Hasney

Apparently we have found someone worse than Maldonado and Lance Stroll...

http://beta.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121941/

Wow, how fucking stupid do you have to be?

Red Bull-backed Ticktum overtook 10 competitors under safety car conditions to catch and crash into MSA Formula championship rival Ricky Collard in race three at the Silverstone round.

In his report court chairman Guy Spollon described how Ticktum, after a first-lap collision with Collard had dropped him to the back of the field, passed 13 yellow flags, four double-yellow flags, two white flags and 15 safety-car boards to catch back up to his rival during the safety-car period.

Lach

I remember watching that GP but I must have missed Schumi overtaking 10 drivers under Safety Car to do this.....

I'm not saying that this wasn't scummy by Schumi, but there's quite a difference between Schumi and Ticktum.... He got lucky with that 2 year ban....

[edit] I just realized they are models on the photo :p

Aiii

So not worth it
As I said, it was some next-level Schumacher style shit.

And I didn't even use his move on Hill, which was damn near murder the way he launched him, too.

hadareud

The Translator
Was Schumacher 16 when he cheated himself to his first title and when he tried to cheat himself to another one?

Because I would say that the actions of a child and that of an adult aren't necessarily comparable.

Ark

Didn't Maldonado nearly take out Hamilton at Spa after qualy once? Can't remember the reason for it, but he purposely cut him off after La Soure.

Zeknurn

http://adamcooperf1.com/2015/11/25/...e-engines-as-manufacturers-promise-own-ideas/

The FIA has confirmed that the controversial plans for an alternative “client” engine for 2017 did not gain approval from the F1 Commission yesterday, as had been expected.

Given that a majority was required it was always likely that the votes of the teams would stop the alternative plan, which is being championed by the FIA and Bernie Ecclestone.

Instead the manufacturers have agreed to tackle the key issues that the alternative engine was supposed to address. They have to submit a proposal by January 15, with the first meetings on the subject taking place in Abu Dhabi this week.

The FIA noted: “The parties involved have agreed on a course to address several key areas relating to Power Unit supply in Formula One. These areas are:

– Guarantee of the supply of Power Units to teams
– The need to lower the cost of Power Units to customer teams
– Simplification of the technical specification of the power units
– Improved noise

“All stakeholders agreed that the developments will aim for the 2017 season at the earliest, and 2018 at the latest.

@tgruener: 13 votes against budget engine in #F1 commission, including Philip Morris & Rolex. Force India & Manor abstained from voting. #AMuS

The power unit dance continues.

Top Bottom