• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Dilly

Banned
I also think, and there have been more opinions like this in the past years, that Alonso is maybe the fastest driver when the car is not good, he can extract 110% of midfield cars, but when the car is good, guys like Hamilton or Vettel are better. Also that he can't make a team work, he can be the #1, but not a very good team player.

I'm sorry, but that really doesn't make any sense. Your driving abilities don't magically become worse as the car gets better.

Also, Vettel's appearance doesn't turn a car that was designed during the time Alonso was still at the team, good all of the sudden. By that logic, Alonso's efforts last year lead to the car improving this year, which is nonsense and it's obviously just the reshuffling that has lead to some early results.

Leonsito

I'm sorry, but that really doesn't make any sense. Your driving abilities don't magically become worse as the car gets better.

Also, Vettel's appearance doesn't turn a car that was designed during the time Alonso was still at the team, good all of the sudden. By that logic, Alonso's efforts last year lead to the car improving this year, which is nonsense and it's obviously just the reshuffling that has lead to some early results.

Is not about driving abilities becoming worse, but that some drivers can drive fast almost anything, and others have a very small window, where they are completely sync with the car and can drive ultra-fast, I don't see it that strange, look at Maldonado, shit in a midfield car, but when he had a rocket, he delivered.

I see his point though. Ultra precise drivers are going to struggle with a car that's a pig, and do better with cars that are exactly how they want them. Makes them utterly worthless in average cars, but I can see the argument as to why they they'd actually be better (than a more rounded driver) in a car that's spot on for their requirements.

There have been a number of drivers like this over the years (from both camps).

Dilly

Banned
Is not about driving abilities becoming worse, but that some drivers can drive fast almost anything, and others have a very small window, where they are completely sync with the car and can drive ultra-fast, I don't see it that strange, look at Maldonado, shit in a midfield car, but when he had a rocket, he delivered.

I agree that some drivers can only be fast when the car is at its best, but I find the opposite to be nonsense. Adaptability is a talent that goes both ways.

And to support that idea, exactly when has Alonso been underperforming in a championship winning car?

Leonsito

I didn't saw anything dodgy about Rosberg, he aborted his lap on turn 2, and a couple of turns later Lewis aborted his, that's why they were close...

Mercedes sent their drivers out too soon imo.

Mastah

And these fools wonder why TV ratings are dropping... Well, start qualifying one hour earlier, so it won't be affected by rain and if it is, restart session as soon as possible, not when it's ok to switch already for intermediates. Ridiculous, what kind of casual fan wants to sit through 30 minutes of delays?

Rosberg is so pathetic, lol. Super smart stuff with new breathing technique and sanitary towel inside helmet don't seem to help, so let's block "guy in first" just enough to affect his lap, but not to be penalised, and then beg the team to know lines used by "the other car". LOL.

Very good progress by McLaren this weekend. Well over 1 second of improvement in two weeks is much better than I hoped for (5 tenths considering extremely challenging weather). Shame Alonso made mistake in S2 on his flying lap, because he could maybe outqualify one Sauber, but on the other hand I'm happy that whatever happened during that strange crash in testing didn't change him and he's as competetive as before. Hopefully tomorrow they will again show progress in race.

frontieruk

I didn't saw anything dodgy about Rosberg, he aborted his lap on turn 2, and a couple of turns later Lewis aborted his, that's why they were close...

Mercedes sent their drivers out too soon imo.

Slow car on the racing line knowing his faster team mate is coming, if it had been another team there would of been complaints to the stewards, as it is Nico is going to get the hairdryer treatment from Toto and the reminder that the team comes first.

Aiii

So not worth it
And these fools wonder why TV ratings are dropping... Well, start qualifying one hour earlier, so it won't be affected by rain and if it is, restart session as soon as possible, not when it's ok to switch already for intermediates. Ridiculous, what kind of casual fan wants to sit through 30 minutes of delays?

They say through it just fine 15 years ago when stuff like this happened.

Hell, we used to have seasons where over half of the races had aborted and delayed starts, most races didn't start until 20 minutes after regular start time. This has never been a problem.

Leonsito

I agree that some drivers can only be fast when the car is at its best, but I find the opposite to be nonsense. Adaptability is a talent that goes both ways.

And to support that idea, exactly when has Alonso been underperforming in a championship winning car?

It seems that I'm atacking Alonso, but I'm not.

Underperforming... maybe in McLaren in 2007? But that year was strange, and aside from that he never had a great teammate.

Look at Massa too, when the car was fantastic he put a great fight with Schumi or Kimi, but as soon as Ferrari became worse, he wasn't capable or doing anything worthwile.

Dilly

Banned
It seems that I'm atacking Alonso, but I'm not.

Underperforming... maybe in McLaren in 2007? But that year was strange, and aside from that he never had a great teammate.

Look at Massa too, when the car was fantastic he put a great fight with Schumi or Kimi, but as soon as Ferrari became worse, he wasn't capable or doing anything worthwile.

Even then, I rate Hamilton as high of maybe even a tad higher than Alonso.

But again, that is an example of the opposite of what you're claiming about Alonso, which I agree with is very possible.

Ark

Some think Nico did that to get behind Lewis to copy his racing lines.

If true then that is quite sad.

That was my initial thoughts after the radio message. In hindsight, it could have just been coincidence and we're, just like the media, trying to make a bigger issue out of something that isn't really an issue at all.

The qualy times didn't change, they've always been hosted at this time. They brought the race one-hour forward though, to start at 8am BST instead of 9am (when qualy started today).

Rosberg has been broken last season, he won't put up a fight at all this year.

I know we all assumed he'd be a bit broken after last year and that Hamilton had turned it up to eleven, but I was hoping we'd see a bit more fight from him already. Though to be fair, the race is tomorrow.

Mokubba

That was my initial thoughts after the radio message. In hindsight, it could have just been coincidence and we're, just like the media, trying to make a bigger issue out of something that isn't really an issue at all.

Yea.

If Lewis said he doesn't remember then I'll leave it as that

Britprog

Great lap by Vettel but getting excited that Ferrari have caught Merc is a bit premature.

Seb's time vs Lewis was done on much dryer track (10 minutes later in the session).

Also Lewis had enough fuel for three more fast laps when he did his quickest lap (maybe more). Seb's time was set when the checkered lap had fallen, so would have been the least amount of fuel.

Ark

If Nico can't get past Vettel. That'll be interesting.

I'm hoping he doesn't blitz past Seb on the start and that we actually get a decent race for the first few laps.

Great lap by Vettel but getting excited that Ferrari have caught Merc is a bit premature.

Seb's time vs Lewis was done on much dryer track (10 minutes later in the session).

Also Lewis had enough fuel for three more fast laps when he did his quickest lap (maybe more). Seb's time was set when the checkered lap had fallen, so would have been the least amount of fuel.

Oh for sure, but Ferrari are definitely closing the gap and that's super exciting for mid-to-late season prospects. Gotta mention McLaren's improvements too, I don't think that teams demeanour is all "shit we better look happy for the cameras", there's got to be potential to be extracted for this season.

frontieruk

Yea.

If Lewis said he doesn't remember then I'll leave it as that

That's mindgames, if Hamilton wasn't on pole you can be sure he would of remembered it, as it is he's just saying to Nico he's not bothered by the stunt, as well as keeping the team image harmonious.

Upinsmoke

Vettel could of got pole there if he had a tidier middle section.

Anywho, i really want a F1 game to play now but there still so expensive on steam. Might as well wait till june for the new one.

Spades

Ridiculous. Might as well open the gates and let everyone on the grid. Pointless having the 107% rule if it so blissfully ignored.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
They need more entertainment on track, so moving Manor chicanes will do good
Oh for sure, but Ferrari are definitely closing the gap and that's super exciting for mid-to-late season prospects. Gotta mention McLaren's improvements too, I don't think that teams demeanour is all "shit we better look happy for the cameras", there's got to be potential to be extracted for this season.

Mercedes is delaying their first big upgrade until China or they could even try run without it until Barcelona, when they also plan to introduce PU upgrade - this is the reason that they are a bit conservative on engine front, but still, I think that gap is still massive.

Spades

It has always been at the stewards discretion. No concrete rulings about the 107% time.

No. The concrete rule is that if you post a time outside of 107%, you're not allowed to race. The stewards can overturn that, however, but they don't make the initial decision. The reason the stewards are allowed input in exceptional circumstances is for cars that are regularly within the 107% who might have issues in qualifying that prevent them from setting a representative time.

I'd love to know what exceptional circumstances they saw to allow Manor to race this weekend. Because I haven't seen them run regularly within the right pace at all.

Mastah

They say through it just fine 15 years ago when stuff like this happened.

Hell, we used to have seasons where over half of the races had aborted and delayed starts, most races didn't start until 20 minutes after regular start time. This has never been a problem.

15 years back and earlier tracks weren't similar to parking lots and cars were less safe. I know it, because I watched it. I also remember how they were racing perfectly fine in these conditions. I don't think people new to motorsport are quite keen to stick with it nowadays, when there are delays and commentators are saying exactly the same as fans remembering old days, "get on with it, conditions are ok".

The qualy times didn't change, they've always been hosted at this time. They brought the race one-hour forward though, to start at 8am BST instead of 9am (when qualy started today).

I absolutely know it. It's great race starts earlier, but they should do the same with quali. Surely the fact that out of 7 qualis 4 were stopped because of rain, while before change we had 10 dry and uninterrupted ones should make them think about it?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
"Track layout revealed for Monaco ePrix"

http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/march/track-layout-revealed-for-monaco-eprix.aspx

monaco_news.jpg

Damn Kimi has had some bad luck so far this year. He was faster than Vettel in every practise too so could have been even on pole. Well at least the race should be interesting.

Upinsmoke

Damn Kimi has had some bad luck so far this year. He was faster than Vettel in every practise too so could have been even on pole. Well at least the race should be interesting.

Where he starting? 11th?

I think he should be in for an eventful race anyway, certainly in a better car this year so should be able to overtake a few cars and move through the grid quite well.

Where he starting? 11th?

I think he should be in for an eventful race anyway, certainly in a better car this year so should be able to overtake a few cars and move through the grid quite well.

Well if he manages to clear the first turn without anyone crashing on him... You never know when you start from the middle pack. Especially Maldonado behind you....

malyce

Maybe Vettel is just point blank a better driver than Alonso and it's not the team, or the chemistry, that was at fault here?
Not even a vettel fan could say that with a straight face.

Where is all the rosberg fans(aka Ham haters) from last year that was spitting that "cerebral" mess. The silent ether burns a lot slower.

Ark

I absolutely know it. It's great race starts earlier, but they should do the same with quali. Surely the fact that out of 7 qualis 4 were stopped because of rain, while before change we had 10 dry and uninterrupted ones should make them think about it?

Yeah I agree, but it's not as if Bernie is known recently for making sensible decisions.

Mercedes is delaying their first big upgrade until China or they could even try run without it until Barcelona, when they also plan to introduce PU upgrade - this is the reason that they are a bit conservative on engine front, but still, I think that gap is still massive.

Ah I wasn't aware of this. Hopefully Ferrari can still close that gap though.

Massa

Ridiculous. Might as well open the gates and let everyone on the grid. Pointless having the 107% rule if it so blissfully ignored.

It wasn't ignored. They saw their pace in practice and took that into account since they had problems in qualifying.

Hasney

Not even a vettel fan could say that with a straight face.

Where is all the rosberg fans(aka Ham haters) from last year that was spitting that "cerebral" mess. The silent ether burns a lot slower.

I expected it. I'll always root for the guy who hasn't won a world title so cheering for Webber has made me accustomed to such things in season 2 :'(

Just hope he can get it together for the sake of the season being anywhere near interesting.

Mohonky

I dont see any problem in letting cars like Manor run, these smaller teams without the big budgets for the testing and facilities like the big teams and younger drivers need to learn somewhere and if they don't race theh don't improve. I would rather see them out there learning something than sitting in the pits doing nothing but going backward.

Top Bottom