• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Zeknurn

JTvF8Y1.gif

nC7nd3q.png

via wtf1

Mastah

Red Bull have a contract with F1 for participation up to 2020, they're not going anywhere unless they can sell the entire team, and who's buying a team right now? Nobody, that's who.

Toyota also had binding contract until 2012, I think. Didn't stop them from leaving at the end of 2009 altogether.

Mohonky

Those Ferrari's getting close to Merc, Rosberg is gonna need a kick up the backside soon, he's leaving Hamilton vulnerable to attack and giving away constructors points.

I never liked Red Bull's management, but this is getting ridiculous. He's putting some immense pressure on the team in Milton Keynes, which can't be good for the morale and won't help to improve things. What an asshole.

Yeah, but as a marketing exercise, Red Bull can't afford to be a mid-tier team anymore. After winning 4 titles in a row, it's hard to be spending that money to be 7th or 8th and being beaten by the junior team.

But I say let them go.

Both Mclarens on their 3rd MGU-H and turbo.

Yeah, but as a marketing exercise, Red Bull can't afford to be a mid-tier team anymore. After winning 4 titles in a row, it's hard to be spending that money to be 7th or 8th and being beaten by the junior team.

But I say let them go.

I wouldn't miss the brand at all. But like I've said before, them leaving would be a big blow, unless someone else with an equal amount of money steps in. What he's been complaining about is the nature of the sport. They've been in the sport as a team for 10 years now, 4 of which they have won and finished 2nd in another two years. Everyone is in it to race and to win and you can't expect to keep winning all the time. If everyone would act like that, McLaren, Williams and Ferrari all would've left the sport years and years ago. This behavior just shows once again that the team owners have no class and just want the marketing exposure (obviously). And instead of showing some fighting spirit, they throw everyone, including their team members and workers, under the bus. "Making F1 fun again", my ass.

I'm not even sure how everyone else is supposed to react to that threat?

"Oh no, Red Bull might leave the sport. They have such a great and long history with the sport, it would be fatal to the series"?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Seems like after all these years, Mercedes still can't get on top of tyre wear.

There are other things that could caused that drop off, like wrong setup, balance issues or heavier car. But we will see (or hear) on Sunday.

McNum

I wouldn't miss Red Bull. They should take some lessons from McLaren this season. They showed up with an awful car and they're fighting. And more to the point, they're improving, rather well, I might add. And THAT is the Formula 1 spirit. McLaren, in their dog of a car, are showing more what it's all about than Red Bull is.

So, I hope they get called on it. Are you bluffing, or do you have the guts to follow through? If not, shut up and race.

Red Bull kind of felt like an intruder in F1 to me, anyway. This season taught me one thing already. It was not Vettel that bugged me when he was dominating. It was his car. I would not mind seeing him dominate once again in a Ferrari. Seeing Mercedes have an advantage is fine, too. They build cars, after all. I do hope McLaren/Honda get their act together. That's a classic pairing, so it would be nice.

hadareud

The Translator
Looks like McLaren's recovery is happening at a decent pace. Like I said before the start of the season, I still wouldn't be surprised to see them mix it up with Red Bull and Williams a few races into the European season. Probably not Ferrari though, they're much stronger than I had anticipated.

Looks like McLaren's recovery is happening at a decent pace. Like I said before the start of the season, I still wouldn't be surprised to see them mix it up with Red Bull and Williams a few races into the European season. Probably not Ferrari though, they're much stronger than I had anticipated.

I don't think anyone expected good pace from Ferrari. Decent, maybe. The question is the same as always, can they keep up with the development? Because that's exactly why Alonso left. I think it was yesterday when he said that he not only wants to win at the start of the season, but also in November (when asked (again) about how he feels about Vettel's win).

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, that's a good point. I'm really curious to see whether they can keep up or even close the gap. Their track record isn't great, but it's essentially a new team now.

So Raikkonen may actually get P2 in quali and the Ferrari is once again easier on softs than the Mercs. A half second advantage in pure pace advantage is formidable, but how many laps of peak performance is the Merc getting from those softs compared to Ferrari? 10-12 laps of Hammertime will "only" produce a 5-6 second gap for Lewis. Cant remember what China was last year, was it a two or three stop race for the top teams?

Ferrari staying in DRS distance of the Merc in the early laps is going to be crucial. Even if it is only a few laps, it will make a difference in nullifying the Mercs raw pace advantage and keeping them in striking distance for when the tires start to wear. Should be an exciting race again...let's hope! Would love to see Kimi in the mix this time.

Pete Windsor had Enrique Scalabroni explain Ferrari's front suspension in a nice little video before the season started. I quite liked it, and in retrospect it seems to be a complete success from a driver happiness and front tire wear perspective. I can only imagine Ferrari spent a lot of time on minimizing rear wear as well.

spuckthew

Mercedes looking as formidable as ever here but Ferrari giving them a nudge at least. I reckon slightly worse soft tyre-wear isn't a big deal with the perceived pace advantage. Ferrari won in Malaysia only through perfect strategy and a poor, or very safe, strategic effort from Mercedes. Ferrari stuck to their guns and it paid off big time. The Ferrari cars were also well dialed in the hotter-than-usual air/track temperatures - China will be normal service.

Hoping a Hamilton win with Rosberg third again. Hedging my bets that the Ferrari will never surpass the Mercedes on outright pace this season, but will remain close enough so that Rosberg gets denied from time to time.

Mercedes looking as formidable as ever here but Ferrari giving them a nudge at least. I reckon slightly worse soft tyre-wear isn't a big deal with the perceived pace advantage. Ferrari won in Malaysia only through perfect strategy and a poor, or very safe, strategic effort from Mercedes. Ferrari stuck to their guns and it paid off big time. The Ferrari cars were also well dialed in the hotter-than-usual air/track temperatures - China will be normal service.

Hoping a Hamilton win with Rosberg third again. Hedging my bets that the Ferrari will never surpass the Mercedes on outright pace this season, but will remain close enough so that Rosberg gets denied from time to time.

Mercedes is not really looking formidable at all. Ferrari is arguably faster than them over a race stint.

The W06 appears to be much, much harder to setup than the W05 - even in testing, the drivers were complaining about setup. Also, they have gone for the full downforce approach (like RBR) as opposed to the low-drag approach of the Ferrari/Williams.

However, interestingly, the speed advantage was nullified in FP2 indicating that either Mercedes engines turned up the wick in FP2 or some Ferrari drivers benefited from slipstream in FP1.

pootle

Bah, looks like I'm going to miss this weekend's race. Pity cos it looks like it might be a good one.

And if Red Bull want to go, well it's not like the team would disappear. It would just be sold on to another big company looking for a marketing tool.

So how are McLaren looking on race pace? I forgot the address to that Russian timing website :(

Honda says they will be another step in performance tomorrow after today's trouble free running.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

Ark

Alright ladies, it's that time of the week again. Prediction time!

I did have Alonso coming in at 10th, but I don't think the car will hold out for that long at a competitive pace. I really feel like RBR's brake issues are going to be a big problem for them this week; Force India will be nowhere; I can't think of anyone else to put in Nasr's spot; Hammer keeps saying Rosberg isn't focused 100% on F1 right now, so I'm betting Kimi will have a good weekend for once and score a podium.

Top Bottom