• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Ferrari saving tyres for the race.

If I was Hamilton I wouldn't go out again and save new set of softs for the race. I can't see Rosberg beating his time.

Ferrari saving tyres for the race.
Everyone gets +1 free set for Q3 so assuming they have the extra time I'd expect their second run to be 1-1.5 seconds faster. I doubt they want to be behind either Williams on the grid for both strategic and psychological reasons.

Everything went as expected. Who said that Ferrari had closed the gap?

They did, though. Compared to last year, at least. I don't know what other comments you're referring to. I don't think anyone reasonably expected that they're able to beat Mercedes in every situation.

Pimpwerx

Merc too stronk. I imagine Lewis should've been able to improve to 1:35.5 but it's good enough. Time to bag another win tomorrow. PEACE.

Aiii

So not worth it
Kimi just isn't the best driver on the grid or in his team, for that matter. Sorry to burst that bubble, he's good enough and certainly a better second driver than Massa, but even his world title is one he kind of lucked into.

Woah, Rosberg making it interesting.

Mercedes to Ferrari (and I guess Williams): "Hahaha, fuck you!"

A shame. Time reflects the problems in sectors 1 and 3 where he was autocrossing the thing around.

Ferrari will make it interesting tomorrow.... I suspect Vettel will win and Kimi might end up on the podium depending on how quickly he can clear the Williams and Rosberg.

Mercedes made a huge mistake and should have only told their drivers "1 run only"... they could have used an extra set of softs. Now, they only have 1 unused set of softs along with 2 sets of medium. And most importantly, so does Ferrari. And they won't beat Ferrari at the tyre game.

They did, though. Compared to last year, at least. I don't know what other comments you're referring to. I don't think anyone reasonably expected that they're able to beat Mercedes in every situation.
This is a little more telling, though. They were beating the Mercedes in top speed for the first time in freaking forever but it obviously came at a cost of cranking the downforce back. Not that they haven't improved the gap, but I think this is a message from Mercedes saying "yeah, this is us when we actually start trying".

The front will be very interesting tomorrow. Mercedes has peak pace but Ferrari and Williams work the tyres better. Used their brains and have a spare set of fresh Options this week at least, but getting stuck on the Primes at the wrong time could cost them again because the time difference is huge. Warmer track temperatures might also change things around. Less pollution on Sundays.

This is a little more telling, though. They were beating the Mercedes in top speed for the first time in freaking forever but it obviously came at a cost of cranking the downforce back. Not that they haven't improved the gap, but I think this is a message from Mercedes saying "yeah, this is us when we actually start trying".

The front will be very interesting tomorrow. Mercedes has peak pace but Ferrari and Williams work the tyres better. Used their brains and have a spare set of fresh Options this week at least, but getting stuck on the Primes at the wrong time could cost them again because the time difference is huge. Warmer track temperatures might also change things around. Less pollution on Sundays.

But the people at Ferrari have been saying that Malaysia was a one-off and that Ferrari's goal for this season is to close the gap by the end of the year to be able to actually fight them on track. I don't think anything about that has changed.

But the people at Ferrari have been saying that Malaysia was a one-off and that Ferrari's goal for this season is to close the gap by the end of the year to be able to actually fight them on track. I don't think anything about that has changed.

Ferrari is understating their pace. They just don't want to put any pressure on their drivers or on the team. Ferrari are still about 0.5-1s off on 1-lap pace, but on race pace, they are arguably faster. Ferrari will have a massive engine and chassis upgrade for Spain, that should bring them ever closer.

EDIT: Lewis pretty much confirming Mercedes will try a 2-stop (most likely OPP) tomorrow.

People shit on Hamilton for his style, but I say props to him to taking the sunglasses off during the interviews today. You know, unlike Kimi or Massa. It's so annoying.

Ferrari is understating their pace. They just don't want to put any pressure on their drivers or on the team. Ferrari are still about 0.5-1s off on 1-lap pace, but on race pace, they are arguably faster. Ferrari will have a massive engine and chassis upgrade for Spain, that should bring them ever closer.

EDIT: Lewis pretty much confirming Mercedes will try a 2-stop (most likely OPP) tomorrow.

I didn't know about the upgrade for Spain. Let's hope it works, unlike some of their upgrades in the previous years. And Mercedes is obviously upgrading as well. They brought a new front wing to this race already.

People shit on Hamilton for his style, but I say props to him to taking the sunglasses off during the interviews today. You know, unlike Kimi or Massa. It's so annoying.

I didn't know about the upgrade for Spain. Let's hope it works, unlike some of their upgrades in the previous years. And Mercedes is obviously upgrading as well. They brought a new front wing to this race already.

I think they are bringing a bigger turbo which should deliver more power.

As for Mercedes, it's hard to say if they have bolted their tokens on or if they are phasing their engine upgrades...

One area where Ferrari definitely has the edge though is in engine cooling. Ferrari seems like it's got the most efficient cooling solution now

John_B

Vital third for Vettel to have a chance of victory. His driving has been very impressive so far this season.

Hamilton looks super confident, he will be hard to beat tomorrow.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Kimi just isn't the best driver on the grid or in his team, for that matter. Sorry to burst that bubble, he's good enough and certainly a better second driver than Massa, but even his world title is one he kind of lucked into.

Not sure I would get that far, but I am really curious to see how his battle against Vettel will develop over the season. Kimi looked very competitive in the first two races and just had bad luck, but that might change if Vettel gains more and more confidence through successes and Kimi loses more and more confidence through failures.

Vital third for Vettel to have a chance of victory. His driving has been very impressive so far this season.

Hamilton looks super confident, he will be hard to beat tomorrow.

I'd say Vettel would need P2 for a realistic chance to win the race. He needs to pass Rosberg right at the start. If not, then he might be able to stay behind Rosberg for a while, but in that time, Hamilton is going to comfortably drive away.

This is really going to be a title fight between Lewis and Vettel, isn't it? At least Mclaren is making some progress (but with all the penalties they're going to get at the end of the season, it's just a development season). They are losing 15kph is the speed trap though.

Love the grandstands full of people /s.

Interesting tweet:

Jon Noble ‏@NobleF1 15m15 minutes ago
One fascinating dynamic with Ferrari so consistently close, is whether or not Mercedes have to start splitting strategies to guarantee win

In other news, regarding the whole VW-coming-into-F1, Der Spiegel is reporting that Winterkorn is not going to succeed Piech as VW chairman, so no F1 programme for sure.

ramparter

Banned
wow. you people really shouldn't be so quick to write off Ferrari. Tyre usage is the most important factor. will be an interesting race. I can see Vettel pressuring the Mercs by lap 11-12...

wow. you people really shouldn't be so quick to write off Ferrari. Tyre usage is the most important factor. will be an interesting race. I can see Vettel pressuring the Mercs by lap 11-12...

Arrivabene doesn't even think they'll be close, and I'm inclined to believe him.

TCRS

Banned
Did anyone actually believe that McLaren could make it to Q2? :/

after the practice session yeah a little. I'm sad for alonso, he doesn't deserve this.

I think mercedes got this, this is a hamilton track. still happy to see a ferrari on p3 :)

sam777

after the practice session yeah a little. I'm sad for alonso, he doesn't deserve this.

I think mercedes got this, this is a hamilton track. still happy to see a ferrari on p3 :)

Had Alonso not had "a moment" he may have edged in to Q2. But I believe the McLaren's are definitley making progress. Next step is completing a race for them.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I would kill for video of Bernie slamming his hand on the table. That would be awesome add on gif for the Mark Webber's glass smash

Hammer24

Banned

We are going around in circles here…
Ecclestone: Therefore: V8 engines or the same power unit for everybody. I would like to make a contract now that says that Mercedes will supply engines to all teams – for an affordable price which would enable Mercedes to make a profit as well.

Mr Wolff, would you sign such a contract?
Wolff: I don’t think that Ferrari would take a Mercedes engine.
Ecclestone: Leave Ferrari out. Always leave Ferrari out. They are an exception.

Thats exactly what you have to Keep in mind when you hear Bernie talking about rules!

Pimpwerx

Sepang was an anomaly. Even though Ferrari was good on long run pace, would they have actually won of Merc never pitted under SC? I don't know if I've missed something in winter testing or the first two races, but I don't see how Ferrari has closed the gap anymore than to a situational level ala Red Bull last year. I'm not at all convinced there's anything to it, but I'm also biased. PEACE.

do we actually know how much they are down on HP?

Triple digits according to Alonso, Amus and BBC. Seems the ERS is dodgy, Japanese press said Honda wanted to change parts of it on reliability grounds after Australia but the FIA didn't allow them.

Slowly but surely they're reeling in the other teams, they should beat the Force Indias tomorrow if they don't break down.

Mohonky

It's obvious it's an absolute dogshit engine for sure.

Problem is, it's not just the engine, it's the car as well. Redbulls chasis is behind the other manufacturers, it's not just the engine but Redbull have been crying like it's entirely their fault the car is slow. You never heard them really speak anything positive of the V8 Renault engine, you wouldnt have even known they were running Renault unless you checked it oit for yourself, now that they are slow though, we've been hearing plenty about it.

Top Bottom