• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 Off-Season |OT| Haas to get better, right?

Ark

I drove past the MTC in Woking last night and I'm so disappointed a team that has such a cool HQ can't make a good livery when they don't have any sponsor obligations.

For fucks sake, McLaren.

Not sure if posted, but Sauber's 2016 livery:

d-reinhard-Sauber-C34-16-16-050.jpg

Looks somewhat better than last year.
Or I'm just used to the massive amount of blue already

tomtom94

Not sure if posted, but Sauber's 2016 livery:

d-reinhard-Sauber-C34-16-16-050.jpg

Looks somewhat better than last year.
Or I'm just used to the massive amount of blue already

If you hadn't told me that was the new livery I would have just assumed that was last year's car.

Lach

If you hadn't told me that was the new livery I would have just assumed that was last year's car.

Pretty sure the car itself is last years (they won't bring the new one to next weeks session). The livery looks pretty much the same other than the sponsors on the rear wing side thingies....

Humidex

I drove past the MTC in Woking last night and I'm so disappointed a team that has such a cool HQ can't make a good livery when they don't have any sponsor obligations.

For fucks sake, McLaren.

I pine for an orange McLaren.

Which will never happen.

Staab

Haas seem to be hitting all the right notes, good partnership with Ferrari, using filming days to get ready, first to arrive in Barcelona, nice drivers, etc..
It's a welcome change from Manor and HRT when they first started...

I'm looking forward to seeing their car and how it performs !

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I'm looking forward to seeing their car and how it performs !

Some journalists say that is very similar to Ferrari. Which is not surprise...
And Ferrari probably benefited much more from their 'partnership' with windtunnel loop exploit

While there are some similarities, it doesn't look like a b-car from Ferrari. I'm almost a bit disappointed.

The site is still down, so no high-res pictures yet.

Jezbollah

Damn, that's a hideous livery. Ugh. Honestly, who designs this shit.

I would suggest half the design is defined by them trying to obfuscate the most sensitive parts of their aero package. Look at the evidence of where the black covers: Front wing elements, underneath the cockpit through to the split under the side pods, the rear of the side pods, top of the engine cover right into the rear of the body of the car.

I just looked at all the 2016 cars and the only design that doesn't use this technique is the Sauber.

Using this approach, it ends up with the design having to use what is left of the car to make it look presentable. The only fault I can see using this approach with the Haas is the black on the top of the cockpit, which is probably the weakest part of the car's aesthetic.

I would suggest half the design is defined by them trying to obfuscate the most sensitive parts of their aero package. Look at the evidence of where the black covers: Front wing elements, underneath the cockpit through to the split under the side pods, the rear of the side pods, top of the engine cover right into the rear of the body of the car.

I just looked at all the 2016 cars and the only design that doesn't use this technique is the Sauber.

Using this approach, it ends up with the design having to use what is left of the car to make it look presentable. The only fault I can see using this approach with the Haas is the black on the top of the cockpit, which is probably the weakest part of the car's aesthetic.

You mean the 2015 Sauber with the 2016 paint job

Patrick S.

Banned
Looks like new Mercedes PU106C needs quite a lot of air. And Mercedes is the first car that has S-duct already installed on promotional pics

Also we have only two preseason tests this year - this mean each day lost due to technical issues will be costly and due to that we see a lot of teams doing 'filming' days

Well, for a turbo car lots of air means lots of power. Must be a beast.

Jezbollah

Man, oh man. The shitty effects in that video.

I'm still very happy that it's happening.

I give Haas credit, they certainly look like the most professional and prepared "new" teams to join F1 in a long time. I remember going to do some work at Lotus (then Caterham) in Hingham, Norfolk and their HQ was literally three prefab commercial units on an industrial estate. I know they moved later on nearer the midlands a few years later but compared to other F1 teams it was very basic.

I give Haas credit, they certainly look like the most professional and prepared "new" teams to join F1 in a long time. I remember going to do some work at Lotus (then Caterham) in Hingham, Norfolk and their HQ was literally three prefab commercial units on an industrial estate. I know they moved later on nearer the midlands a few years later but compared to other F1 teams it was very basic.

Absolutely. I really hope all their efforts are worth it. I love that we've finally an American team on the grid again. It makes the sport feel a little more international.

No sponsors at all, huh?

Except for Richard Mille, which they're sharing with McLaren Honda.

"McLaren secures 10-year Richard Mille partnership"

dakun

Haas is a massive company earning north of £1bn annually. I doubt they're in a great rush to gain sponsors.

EDIT: For comparison, they earn four times as much revenue as McLaren.

oh wow i didn't know that. So basically they are much more secure in their position the newcomers that came and went away in the last 10 years?

Ryne

Not enough grey and black on the grid.

Hopefully Haas does well, I want new teams to stick around in F1, hate seeing the grid dwindle.

Aiii

So not worth it
Haas is a massive company earning north of £1bn annually. I doubt they're in a great rush to gain sponsors.

I knew they were doing well, but that is impressive indeed.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Haas car is a step between last year's Ferrari and current season's car

It will a lot depend on their early form (read: how good new Ferrari engine really is compared to Mercedes), because the trickiest part for every new team is to establish good car development plan (get new parts to work as they should) and without it they will fade back in the summer.

Zaru

Well, that doesn't mean they can burn it all on F1.

Although a podium tier American F1 Team would probably do quite some wonders for publicity. Best of luck to them.

dubc35

Bah, Haas livery is not that good. It looks like 4 different people did it at different times. Oh well at least it's not all gray or black.

The more I look at the McHonda the more I think they'll enjoy a season like last year. I would love for Haas to outscore them in WCC points.

Jezbollah

Well, that doesn't mean they can burn it all on F1.

Although a podium tier American F1 Team would probably do quite some wonders for publicity. Best of luck to them.

Indeed. Given they also race in NASCAR I am sure they know how to realistically budget for racing categories given their income and wont allow the cost to get unsustainable.

As the old saying goes - the best way to make a small fortune is to start with a large one..

RoKKeR

Livery on the Haas is pretty solid, and it looks like they are really approaching things the right way. As others have said, even if they don't come flying out of the gates it seems like they are fairly organized and prepared for the long haul.

So happy to have an American team to root for in F1.

Top Bottom