• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 Off-Season |OT| Haas to get better, right?

Zeknurn

According to Sergio Marchionne, Alfa Romeo is in all probability set to make a return to formula One. Ansa.it reports the CEO of Alfa Romeo’s parent company said today, “It’s amazing how the Alfa Romeo brand remains close to people’s hearts and for this reason we are thinking of bringing it back to Formula One”.

Whilst Marchionne is not categorical about this, he is not a man to float ideas that are non-starters. “It is important for Alfa to return,” adds Marchionne, “it will be another competitor”.
http://thejudge13.com/2015/12/14/marchionne-alfa-romeo-to-return-to-formula-one/

It appears the teams will agree to a redesign of the V6 Turbo Hybrid power unit – but for 2018 – as Arrivabene reveals. “We need to set a target for our engineers and they need to respect it. Then they get together and now they are trying to seriously go a step forward.

“You can’t design an engine for 2018 in three hours. But I think the step they are making is looking good for the future to achieve the target that was set for them.”

Clearly there is an element of a swipe at the FIA’s past failings as Arrivbene insists, “All the team principals that were present were setting a target. I like a lot the engineers, but if you let them decide, they are going to the sky”.
http://thejudge13.com/2015/12/14/f1-engine-redesign-for-2018-agreed-by-the-teams/

Just the usual things.

Somebody shoved a camera down Honda's exit hole

hondapu0pwos0j.jpg

hondapu6ps4srp.jpg

It all starts with the "size 0" body that the designers wanted at the back end of the car. The extra-narrow pinch at the back would have certain aero advantages: better downforce directly over the rear axle, better rear grip, less drag, and so on.

Problem: this means less space for the engine. In particular, there wasn't a good spot to put the compressor for the turbo.

Solution: they'll fit the compressor right into the "V" of the engine, instead of ahead or behind.

Another problem: that's a pretty small space to begin with. A normal compressor wouldn't fit there. You could squeeze in a small one, though.

Another solution: since it'll be smaller, the compressor will have to cycle faster to deliver the same power. About 130,000rpm instead of the more typical 110-120krpm. Most other teams aren't sure they could even make a (normal sized) compressor cycle faster than 120k without blowing up -- if they could get more power they'd already be running them faster. But Honda are confident that they can make a smaller one go that fast.

Season starts. To everyone's surprise, the small compressor does go that fast, without blowing up.

But, it has extreme, violent vibrations at max speed. Connections get shaken loose. When they are attached more securely, they get snapped and broken from the thrashing. Honda redesigns the connections.

Next problem is the compressor gets too hot. Unexpectedly hot. It's frying the nearby connections and electronics with heat. Honda tries to fix this, add cooling or insulate the rest somehow.

They don't find a way to completely fix the thermal issues (it's not exactly easy trying to route cooling airflow through the middle of your engine), and ultimately the only solution is to turn down the compressor so it doesn't get as hot.

Problem: with the compressor turned down so far, the ICE is losing a lot of power. Like 60-80bhp at least. At the lower power level, there's less heat created exhaust power available for the MGU-H to collect, meaning a further loss of power -- the hybrid batteries don't get fully charged, and so on. The losses just cascade and multiply through the entire power plant.

Honda spends the rest of the season making incremental efficiency improvements to the ICE (making the most of what they get from the turned-down compressor) and riding the edge of how high they can run the compressor before ruining the works. They squeeze out many tens of additional BHP but it's nowhere near enough to make up for the shortfall.

Most sessions cost them an engine but they do manage to get a couple of them through entire races, always at the back of the midfield because of the compromised power levels.

In Arai's 2016 vision I trust

tomtom94

so Sky have changed their F1 channel into a darts channel

I assume there's a big darts tournament coming up or something but right now it's all repeats and highlights from the past...

Jezbollah

so Sky have changed their F1 channel into a darts channel

I assume there's a big darts tournament coming up or something but right now it's all repeats and highlights from the past...

Yep it's the PDC World Championship (always happens from this time until the first week of the New Year). And it gets a lot of ratings for Sky.

They usually change (rename) Sky Sports 2 into whatever the big theme events channel (Ryder Cup, Ashes, Darts etc) but with the Big Bash cricket and England's cricket tour of South Africa, it evidently made more sense doing it on the F1 channel..

PDC World Championship.

The change makes sense with darts bringing in 3x more viewers than F1 on SKY.

The F1 programming by SKY UK is being cut down next season according to the digital spy forums, the F1 show is too expensive to produce so will see less episodes, content from SKY Germany and Italy will instead be shown on the channel.

SKY F1 is on its last legs.

Ark

F1 in the UK in general appears to be on it's last legs. A lot of the people I usually talk to about F1 are rapidly losing interest in the sport. Even big Hamilton fans (like myself) lost interest this season.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Yeah, I am witnessing something similar here in Germany. I have literally nobody to watch F1 with anymore, since all my friends have lost interest in it. And that already started when Vettel was winning every race.

dubc35

It's really a shame that FOM can't find a way of allowing individuals to purchase an individual grand prix or even a full season. Maybe even a way to watch them on a device while not in front of their TV? I'm not sure if I'll see that technology in my lifetime.

Zeknurn

The Trulli Formula E Team has today announced that it will leave the FIA Formula E Championship with immediate effect.
Francesco Test, CEO of Trulli GP, said: “After failing scrutineering in the Beijing and Putrayaja ePrix and in light of our commercial agreement with Formula E Holdings, we are forced to announce the retirement of Trulli Formula E from the FIA Formula E Championship. As major supporters of this all electric series, we are please to leave space for a new OEM to enter the series and further help develop the series and electric racing technology.”

Aiii

So not worth it
Ah, so that explains the Jaguar news.

---

@The above: Rest easy, F1 is The Netherlands is more alive than it has been since Jos left F1.

Zeknurn

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122245
Jaguar will return to motorsport next year with a works Formula E programme.

The British manufacturer is partnering with Williams Advanced Engineering for the project, which will coincide with Jaguar Land Rover producing electric vehicles for the first time.

Jaguar has not had a factory involvement in motorsport since withdrawing from Formula 1 at the end of the 2004 season.

It is taking over the entry vacated by the outgoing Trulli team from the 2016/17 season, not the Swiss squad's infrastructure, and will receive four new Dallara chassis as well as develop its own powertrain.

Other details yet to be confirmed are its driver line-up, the team name and final livery.

When asked if it would be reviving British racing green, Jaguar team director James Barclay said the marque was looking to recognise its heritage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MHZhdQbG0M

It's really a shame that FOM can't find a way of allowing individuals to purchase an individual grand prix or even a full season. Maybe even a way to watch them on a device while not in front of their TV? I'm not sure if I'll see that technology in my lifetime.

I can watch the races in high def through my phone with my BellTv subscription

dalin80

Banned
My interest has died the past few seasons, with only being able to watch the occasional race I have felt like a stranger to the series and don't feel involved or invested.

Many people don't talk about the races as they don't get to see them.

I think I'd rather some realism than the usual "we'll give it everything we've got" cheerleading. Though Arrivabene puts it better...

"I hope the terror can be positive – because people who are frightened run away before they hit problems," he said. "The positive terror gives us the strength to do things.

"That is what the president means when he speaks of terror in the next three months."

Deadman

Makes sense. They are being forced to make massive cuts and F1 is expensive and not that popular anymore.

Will watch every race on sky from now on.

Zeknurn

ITV4 is showing Formula E with Jennie Gow at helm so they're pretty cool in my book. I hope they're going to show Formula 1 races live.

Lego Boss

Hasney

Well, ITV were the reason I barely watched any F1 until it went to the BBC, so hopefully Sky fire that ginger guy and at least make their pre race programming watchable.

Do Itv have adverts during the race in Formula E and touring cars? I don't think they'll screw up as bad as last time - ad breaks exclusive to caution periods.

Announcement tomorrow?

Just put the ads when they enable DRS so we don't have to watch 5 minutes of uninterrupted replays of the start.

The rest of the ads can trigger whenever the FOM director starts showing signs of boredom.

andshrew

ITV throwing adbreaks during the races was terrible however their actual coverage wasn't that bad.

It is very disappointing to see the BBC forced to drop out. I hope ITV ateast pick up the full season of live races.

dubc35

I wasn't much of a fan of the sport prior to the BBC taking over from ITV in 2008-ish so I don't have much of an opinion right now. Is DC under contract at the BBC? I always enjoy him so perhaps he could go to ITV?

I watched Nine Days in Summer today. It seems to be pretty popular but I was only recently made aware of it. It's pretty interesting. The old circuit footage is great; parts can be a little too artsy for me. Overall highly recommended though!

From the youtube description:
"One of, if not the classic motorsport film Nine Days in Summer is the definitive story of the development of an iconic racing car and record-breaking engine. Design guru Colin Chapman and engine supremo Keith Duckworth came together to produce the now legendary Lotus 49, powered by the fabled Ford DFV which would go on to become the most successful engine in Formula One history. The car went from concept to racetrack in just months and, amazingly, was victorious on four occasions during the 1967 Grand Prix season, including its debut.

Nine Days in Summer, introduced by motorsport expert Simon Taylor, charts this extraordinary achievement in comprehensive detail. Incredible full-colour race action from nine Formula One rounds combines with fascinating footage of Cosworth and Lotus craftsmen painstakingly creating these stunning examples of automotive art. The film also allows you unprecedented access to Chapman, Duckworth and legendary drivers Jim Clark and Graham Hill. Nine Days of Summer, from the Ford Archive Gems series, is the ultimate guide to the creation of a motorsport icon and a milestone in motorsport film-making."

Fox Mulder

ITV throwing adbreaks during the races was terrible however their actual coverage wasn't that bad.

It is very disappointing to see the BBC forced to drop out. I hope ITV ateast pick up the full season of live races.

This is why I just download the sky broadcasts. US racing coverage is awful with ads for any series.

Shaneus

F1 in the UK in general appears to be on it's last legs. A lot of the people I usually talk to about F1 are rapidly losing interest in the sport. Even big Hamilton fans (like myself) lost interest this season.
Yeah, I am witnessing something similar here in Germany. I have literally nobody to watch F1 with anymore, since all my friends have lost interest in it. And that already started when Vettel was winning every race.
Do you reckon they're losing interest in motorsports in general? The impression I get (not that I have many IRL friends that watch F1) is that most people are migrating (somewhat) over to WEC for their international racing fix.

I've said it before, but it's very much heading in the WRC direction. Once was massively popular, then some shit decisions send it in completely the wrong direction, which is made worse by utter domination by a team.

Hell, I usually watch one or two races a year in person, and even I don't know if I can be fucked bothering with next year.

dubc35

I've said it before, but it's very much heading in the WRC direction. Once was massively popular, then some shit decisions send it in completely the wrong direction, which is made worse by utter domination by a team.

Hell, I usually watch one or two races a year in person, and even I don't know if I can be fucked bothering with next year.

Yep, I have nothing personal against Seb Loeb, he seems like a nice guy but he (and the Citroen works team) ended my interest in WRC. 2017 can't get here soon enough.

gwiz210

Hey!
I'm a big nascar fan, I've been into it since the 90s. I've always wanted to get into formula 1 but it's kinda overwhelming to me. Does anyone have any advice on how to start?

Chris R

Hey!
I'm a big nascar fan, I've been into it since the 90s. I've always wanted to get into formula 1 but it's kinda overwhelming to me. Does anyone have any advice on how to start?

Do you live in the USA? If so I'd assume you have NBCSN, so hop on their app and watch a few races from the previous season (they should be streaming there...)

Pick a team/driver to follow, and be prepared to wake up way too early 10+ Sundays next year.

Shaneus

I've cut mine right down from a full weekend down to a general admission on the Saturday. That's my brother and I going from spending ~$700AU total to about $50 (the GA tickets were on special at 2 for 1 when I got them). Not even bothering considering seeing any races overseas anymore, despite them being a dream as recently as last year.

Ark

I don't mind this at all. I'll be happy if either:

There are zero ad breaks during the race, or they do ad breaks like some American sports do, with two windows on the screen so you don't lose any of the action.

Do you reckon they're losing interest in motorsports in general? The impression I get (not that I have many IRL friends that watch F1) is that most people are migrating (somewhat) over to WEC for their international racing fix.

I know we like to parrot how great the WEC is compared to F1, but frankly - in terms of a spectator sport - it doesn't compare. F1 thrives on it's casual viewers, thoroughbred motorsport fans like us in this thread aren't going to stop watching every F1 race next year even though we all know it might be total shit. At the same time though, your average F1 viewer isn't going to sit down for 6-24 hours to watch a WEC race. Thanks to Webber and Hulkenberg though, I've noticed that a lot more people are more aware of the WEC now, which is only a good thing.

It's kind of ironic given how the WEC isn't much different from F1 in the sense that there're only two or three teams able to challenge for a victory.

And the only people that watch touring cars are die-hard touring car fans.

Lego Boss

ITV commentary was good, but then they had Brundle back then :|

EDIT: Just been reminded of my favourite piece of commentary from that era. (not recommended for headphone users)

It shows how far sport (and motorsport in particular) in the UK has come when JB was nominated for Sports Personality after winning ONE race during that year.

Hell, he didn't even win it when he piloted an independent team to the title, even though I think he's more of a 'personality' (whatever the fuck that means) than LH, who is quick, but is max with the salt.

jdw_b

Good to see the BBC making real intelligent decisions to get people back to paying the license fee

CUT ALL THE CONTENT!

tomtom94

It shows how far sport (and motorsport in particular) in the UK has come when JB was nominated for Sports Personality after winning ONE race during that year.

Hell, he didn't even win it when he piloted an independent team to the title, even though I think he's more of a 'personality' (whatever the fuck that means) than LH, who is quick, but is max with the salt.

To be fair, Button would definitely have won in 2009 were it not for the fact Giggs was basically nominated for lifetime achievement.

I don't mind this at all. I'll be happy if either:

There are zero ad breaks during the race, or they do ad breaks like some American sports do, with two windows on the screen so you don't lose any of the action.
ITV had breaks during the race, and was criticized for it, since they ended up missing action.

Bernie can't squeeze FTA TV anymore.

I know we like to parrot how great the WEC is compared to F1, but frankly - in terms of a spectator sport - it doesn't compare. F1 thrives on it's casual viewers, thoroughbred motorsport fans like us in this thread aren't going to stop watching every F1 race next year even though we all know it might be total shit. At the same time though, your average F1 viewer isn't going to sit down for 6-24 hours to watch a WEC race. Thanks to Webber and Hulkenberg though, I've noticed that a lot more people are more aware of the WEC now, which is only a good thing.

It's kind of ironic given how the WEC isn't much different from F1 in the sense that there're only two or three teams able to challenge for a victory.

And the only people that watch touring cars are die-hard touring car fans.

Yes WEC is harder to watch, but WEC resisted the temptation to monetize like F1 did.

A much cheaper WEC ticket gives you access to the paddock and more contact with the drivers.
You can pay for streaming (at a reasonsable price IMO), albeit you can't watch it delayed (they need to fix that). The only thing you can pay for in F1 is live timing.

And no F1 race can compare to the entire week of Le Mans.

WEC is different, it's divided into classes so it's not fair to compare to F1 where the regulations are the same for every car.

hadareud

The Translator
Good to see the BBC making real intelligent decisions to get people back to paying the license fee

CUT ALL THE CONTENT!

Nothing to do with the BBC's intelligence.

The government's first step in trying to destroy the BBC has been successful. Over the next few years they will cut it down to a point where it's marginalised so their sponsor has the market to himself.

Top Bottom