• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 Off-Season |OT| Haas to get better, right?

chadskin

I really really really really really really like the Manor livery.

Orange is definitely under-used in F1 (as are most colours that aren't black or silver these days tbh).

Agreed.

Cb0aANNWEAALBn9.jpg:large

Why are the sound videos? I'm reading from those at the test that the Honda is the loudest and best sounding.

From Autosport's live feed:

12:55 This is a strange one: the McLaren engine note sounds very clean coming into and out of turn 3, but has a distinct rough patch under full load in the middle of the turn. It's something you don't hear from the other cars when they are running full throttle through here.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Teams will bring new parts for 2nd Barcelona test. AMuS is reporting that Mercedes will have a brand new nose and FW tomorrow and Lewis said that car feels just like W06.

And I expect Mercedes to stick to their program and not revealing their true pace, or they will just troll with several insanely fast laps in the beginning of 20 lap stint.

Also Vettel used unmarked test tyres in the morning.

Ryne

I really really really really really really like the Manor livery.

Orange is definitely under-used in F1 (as are most colours that aren't black or silver these days tbh).
Agreed, IMO currently my favourite livery. Nice to see some brighter hues than 50 shades of grey
Just read that some sources from Renault have said the final livery is gonna be more yellow. Wich is great,
That is great, because an all black car is boring.

Love testing and watching the different cars and liveries being launched. Kinda boring colour-wise this year, but I hope some good racing can be had throughout the season. Tuned out halfway through last season myself.

They turned up to Melbourne last year with a significant upgrade.

They're running their Melbourne spec right now at Barcelona, so theoretically this IS the Melbourne Mercedes give or take a few setup tweaks.

AMuS is reporting that Mercedes' new nose will be fitted on Wednesday. Its philosophy should be similar to the current nose but will look slightly different (akin to the one run in Brazil 2015 - so with the S-duct fitted).

They describe it in a way "that's not been done before".

DrM

Redmond's Baby
AMuS is reporting that Mercedes' new nose will be fitted on Wednesday. Its philosophy should be similar to the current nose but will look slightly different (akin to the one run in Brazil 2015 - so with the S-duct fitted).

They describe it in a way "that's not been done before".

Rosberg in the gravel in lap 1 for sure.

Staab

Pirelli explained that they're supposed to be the same compounds as the normal ones, just produced in a different factory (main one is in Turkey right now, think those are from Romania).
This test, they're trying out medium compounds from this new factory.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I think that Mercedes is already on race sim/long stints or something like that, 80 laps already. They did 157 last year on the first day :)

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Haas will do their afternoon running but with limited speed due to destroyed FW. Replacement one will be available tomorrow

dubc35

It is, but only at higher speeds. But it is a but absurd that they do not have a replacement prepared

Didn't Red Bull break one last year in testing without a spare?

edit, http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117555

Red Bull may have to wait until Tuesday to resume its proper pre-season Formula 1 testing programme after being left without a front wing on Monday.

Daniil Kvyat ran off the track during a morning installation lap at Jerez, damaging the only front wing that the team had readied for its new RB11.

With no spares available, Red Bull has been forced to send Kvyat out onto the track without a front wing for limited installation lap runs.

mclem

Haas will do their afternoon running but with limited speed due to destroyed FW. Replacement one will be available tomorrow

I thought they just had to ask one of the leading teams politely if they could borrow one. I'm sure one of them was promoting heavily the fact that they were happy to do so.

DD

Just like with Sauber, I like the sillyness of Manor's livery. It's bright and colorful! Fuck black and grey.

Teams will bring new parts for 2nd Barcelona test. AMuS is reporting that Mercedes will have a brand new nose and FW tomorrow and Lewis said that car feels just like W06.

And I expect Mercedes to stick to their program and not revealing their true pace, or they will just troll with several insanely fast laps in the beginning of 20 lap stint.

W06 pre singapore or post Singapore?

Zeknurn

Ted has made his way from the pit lane with a story for all you McLaren fans about their partner Honda's progress:

"While most engine manufacturers are here with their bespoke 2016 engine, with which they intend to do the first few races, that's not the case for Honda.

"The power unit in the back of Button and Alonso's car at this test is effectively a mark I 2016 engine incorporating most of the changes Honda knew they needed to make over the winter.

"There will be another new engine, mark II, which will debut for the second test next week and the result of what they learn between the two specs of power unit will be combined into mark III, that they'll take to race in Melbourne.

"So if it doesn't look brilliant for McLaren early on, don't worry, better engine bits are on the way."

Oh Honda...

Aiii

So not worth it
They're going to "fix" their engine in two weeks time, despite not being able to do it build a proper one after two years.

Sure Honda, and rainbows lead to leprechauns with a pot of gold and donkey's can fly.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Looks like Haas won't race today anymore, same with STR (they already confirmed that, gearbox issues)

Aiii

So not worth it
Hamilton has done two race distances. Closest are Ericsson and Ricciardo, who have done one race distance.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Hamilton has done two race distances. Closest are Ericsson and Ricciardo, who have done one race distance.

There are some rumors that Mercedes wants 600 - 850 km done on each day. That would mean from 2400 to 3400 km done on a single PU

Zeknurn

@tgruener: At tomorrows Geneva F1 meeting stuff like reverse grid, qualifying race or points for quali will be discussed. But hopefully rejected. #AMuS

McLaren will also present their concept for a 2017 car at the meeting. I think it's great that even backmarkers gets to show their ideas.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Reverse grids would be...something from a bad comedy movie. Just do it Bernie, for the show must go on!

Oh and Manor is already 2+ seconds faster than they were on the last year's race in Barcelona

Zeknurn

Well to be fair to the reverse grid suggestion, the few races where Mercedes didn't lock out the front row were dramatically more exciting.

However, it's still a band-aid solution to a much bigger problem.

Staab

Reverse grids are a joke, wouldn't everyone try to be as slow as possible so as to be on "pole" ? lol, knowing F1 it would definitely end up like that...

DrM

Redmond's Baby
137 laps for Hamilton with one hour to go. They are doing either 12 or 22 lap stints

Haas back on the track.

Top Bottom