• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 Off-Season |OT| Haas to get better, right?

Honda have sacked Arai and Sato for their failures over the past year, announcement to be made today according to Autosport.pt

The poor performance of Honda in various categories of motor sport last year, especially in Formula 1, eventually have consequences for the two main responsible for its sports program. Hideo Sato, the maximum leader of the motorsport division of the Japanese brand, and Yasuhisa Arai, the man who led the return of the Japanese brand to F1 - with terrible results - will be removed from their positions at the end of the day, but they have been informed of this decision internally.

The announcement will be made in Tokyo, tomorrow afternoon, the president of Honda, Takahiro Hachigo, but the names of Sato and Arai substitutes will only be known at the time. In the case of Hideo Sato, who is about to meet 65, the spacing is ultimately a way to send into retirement more or less dignified manner, because the services provided to the brand in the last 15 years deserve respect and can not be speak in a dismissal or demotion.

In the case of Arai the situation is different because he is far from having reached the end of his career within Honda, but will have to accept that his progression within the Japanese brand has come to an end. In recent months it was felt that his personal relationship with Hachigo, who worked under him in his early years at Honda, was enough to save his job, but the pressure of McLaren and the lack of development of the Japanese brand in late last year eventually dictated his removal.

From what we know Arai's successor has a solid career as an engineer in the engine division and competition from Honda, which is a good beginning, and is supported by the old guard - the veterans who were at the origin of the glorious turbocharged V6 and V10 normally aspirated who dominated Formula 1 between 1986 and 1991 - and was part of the group, of its own accord, set out to redesign the turbo unit current motive in absentia Arai direction and won the civil war, as the project leader Formula 1 was forced to accept part of the new turbo in his V6.

http://www.autosport.pt/formula1/f1/mudancas-na-honda-maus-resultados-tramam-sato-e-arai/

R.I.P sweet prince.

In new Honda engineer's MKIII PU I trust

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
The fact that it's happening is not too surprising. The timing seems odd though.

I wonder if that indicates that the current engine still has obvious performance deficits. This might have been the final straw and an explanation why they fired them right now when the engine is being tested for the first time on the track.

dubc35

I wonder if that indicates that the current engine still has obvious performance deficits. This might have been the final straw and an explanation why they fired them right now when the engine is being tested for the first time on the track.
I guess I was thinking if you're going to remove them it would have happened at the end of last season or after it is very apparent this years PU is not up to snuff. I guess that could be so apparent already they had to do it. Manor and Haas will dominate them.

Aiii

So not worth it
280111.jpg

It's amazing how beautiful a F1 car can be without a livery.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I guess I was thinking if you're going to remove them it would have happened at the end of last season or after it is very apparent this years PU is not up to snuff. I guess that could be so apparent already they had to do it. Manor and Haas will dominate them.

Might be a cultural thing. He's not left Honda and has "stepped down" (asked to, I guess). So he might have stayed on to bring a reasonable engine into 2016 to preserve some honour?

Joba62x

Neo Member
Yeah thanks for the links that was a real treat.

All the positive talk about Haas has been great , but to actually see it running with the other cars was really cool, can't wait for this season to start!

nekkid

I find it strange that Mercedes haven't gone as skinny at the back as pretty much everyone else.

NHale

I find it strange that Mercedes haven't gone as skinny at the back as pretty much everyone else.

Why? The Williams FW35 also had the slimmest rear I can remember in the recent days of F1 and was powered by the best engine at that time (Renault) and in the end scored 5 points during the entire season.

Having a slim rear means nothing by itself. Is the entire package that counts.

They are nearly as skinny though. The gap between the McLaren / Toro Rosso (the skinniest thus far) and Mercedes is much smaller than it was last year.

Besides they've proven over the past two years that you can still have killer aero with a slightly fatter backend.

Aiii

So not worth it
They are nearly as skinny though. The gap between the McLaren / Toro Rosso (the skinniest thus far) and Mercedes is much smaller than it was last year.

Besides they've proven over the past two years that you can still have killer aero with a slightly fatter backend.

Actually, the only thing they've proven is that by having a severely more powerful engine package is such an advantage, that aero is fairly insignificant by comparison.

This is further proven by Red Bull and Toro Rosso last year, who are both said to have some of the best aero packages on the grid, completely crippled by a slightly lacking power unit.

nekkid

If only Alonso's career decisions were as good as his driving.

xrnzaaas

Yeah his career moves are (were?) the worst. Sure the truck full of money from McLaren is a welcome thing, but I'm guessing he was more interested in having a great car.

nekkid

Yeah his career moves are (were?) the worst. Sure the truck full of money from McLaren is a welcome thing, but I'm guessing he was more interested in having a great car.

If he thought it was a good idea to buy a cycle team, then clearly he has too much money already. So I also doubt that's his priority.

Zeknurn

I think it would be best for Alonso and everyone else (Especially Stoffel) if he decided to do something else. It's going to take years for McLaren to claw its way back to the front half of the grid and his time would be better spent on WEC or even Formula E.

John_B

This was Ron Dennis' plan all along. Somehow lure Alonso back to McLaren and then make a car so bad Alonso would leave the sport all on his own.

Zeknurn

Red Flag. Verstappen stopped on track.

Deadline day for F1's 2017 rules

If we break away from the track action from a moment, there's a couple of rather important meetings taking place in Geneva today which are being described as 'make or break' for F1's 2017 rules.

After months of discussions, deliberations and, probably arguments, the F1 Strategy Group and F1 Commission are bidding to thrash out a final blueprint for how F1 cars should look from next season. Plans to make the cars up to five seconds faster remain on the table, but it's far from certain if they will garner enough support amid fears increases in downforce might only serve to hinder overtaking.

March 1 is the deadline for which 2017's rules can be voted through by a majority of the F1 Commission, after that there would have to be unanimous agreement among F1's teams and other stakeholders for subsequent changes to be implemented.

We'll bring you any announcements later on if and when there are any...

nekkid

Well there you go. Surprised a set of ssofts survived out-quick-in at Catalunya.

That's a rapid lap, fair play.

It'll be interesting to see what these cars can do with the wick turned up. Could we be back to 2010 speeds?

nekkid

I wonder if anyone this year would choose usofts on an unsuitable track like this (depending on Pirelli's selection) for the quali benefit fully expecting to do a mega short first stint?

Top Bottom