• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

I really hate coming to this thread and having to #SCALP people after a fun night out at the club.

Legendary career?

To be legendary people need to remember it. How could ANYONE remember Xtincta's SHIT body of work when she was CONSTANTLY OVERSHADOWED by Britney, Beyonce and GaGa in each of Xtincta's AWFUL eras?

Awful eras? You mean Awful eras where her albums sold more than 10 million worldwide each? Awful eras where she had 3 #1s off one album? Awful eras where she clocked in #1 albums? Awful eras where she took home Grammys? Awful eras where several of her songs become STANDARDS? Wow, if that's the standard for "awful", then 95% of the flops mentioned in this thread can only ever hope to aspire to utter shit.

0BAIO.jpg

Britney Spears in no way influenced Christina Aguilera, and you know it.

In fact, if anything Christina Aguilera inspired an entire generation of pro-feminism, sexual liberation and activism in mainstream pop. In that respect she's followed in the footsteps of Pop-Feminist Icons like Janet and Madonna more than ANY OTHER POP ACT OF HER TIME. And that INCLUDES Britney. Sorry.

royalan

Why are we fighting about the Princesses of Pop? I can't with this stale expired ass tea

I can't either, Sis. In fact, I think it's sad...since we were just discussing how we should avoid stan wars for the sake of stan wars in this thread.

Bladenic

LOL pro feminism? Only thing Christina inspired with the Stripped era is probably a bunch of girls my age back then to be super slutty. "Sexual liberation"? Yeah, that's one way to say being slutty.

I guess she also inspired the gay people to be, well, gay with "Beautiful". I guess she did that before other artists.

royalan

LOL pro feminism? Only thing Christina inspired with the Stripped era is probably a bunch of girls my age back then to be super slutty. "Sexual liberation"? Yeah, that's one way to say being slutty.

I guess she also inspired the gay people to be, well, gay with "Beautiful". I guess she did that before other artists.

You only prove my point.

Being blatantly "slutty" as you'd like to describe it is in fact very pro-feminism, because it promotes sexual equality. I.e. You don't see people clocking male pop stars like Justin Timberlake and Enrique Iglesias for releasing songs like "SexyBack" and "Tonight (I'm Fucking You)" that are basically anthems about fucking hot women and being giant manwhores. It's acceptable for men to do it. Let a woman do it, however, and she's criticized and slapped with the scarlet letter, as you so wonderfully demonstrated.

"Stripped" in large part was a calculated raging against this, as evidenced by song like this. I suggest you listen to it.

Kyon

Banned

GLAAD loved it enough to give her an award :) that was the first time I ever saw two guys kissing <3

royalan

GLAAD loved it enough to give her an award :) that was the first time I ever saw two guys kissing <3

That's because it was one of the first videos to depict a homosexual act. And it was partly her idea.

I'm so sorry, haters - but there are just some things that you CAN'T drag my fave's wig on. Artistry is one of them.

Bladenic

Oh well as a guy songs like Sexyback and that Enrique irritate the shit outta me because it's some douchey artists being cocky.

Ironically I think women are more likely to be the ones who'd label another girl slutty but eat shit like Sexyback up like nothing.

I wasn't trying to shade Christina either, I just don't think wearing little clothing helps when trying to get a strong message across.

royalan

Oh well as a guy songs like Sexyback and that Enrique irritate the shit outta me because it's some douchey artists being cocky.

Ironically I think women are more likely to be the ones who'd label another girl slutty but eat shit like Sexyback up like nothing.

I wasn't trying to shade Christina either, I just don't think wearing little clothing helps when trying to get a strong message across.

Well then I suggest you listen to "Stripped" in its entirety. The theme of the entire album is liberation and self-acceptance. And yeah - it's all wrapped under a Pop umbrella, but that doesn't at all detract from the message. Stripped is a brilliant album, not just because the music is good, but because it was one of those rare times an young pop artist in her prime decided to rock the boat by putting out an album with a message. Again, giving Madonna/Janet teas...

Bladenic

Well Chris i think you are BEAUTIFUL no matter what they say <3

Kyon you know you're my fave but I can't with you in the Versus XIII thread right now. </3

Also I generally dont listen to pop artists albums just the singles but if you say the message is better received than what the singles and esp. the videos showed then I might give it a listen sometime.

Kyon

Banned
Kyon you know you're my fave but I can't with you in the Versus XIII thread right now. </3

Also I generally dont listen to pop artists albums just the singles but if you say the message is better received than what the singles and esp. the videos showed then I might give it a listen sometime.

I will forever stay WAITING for it #PressedT :(

you are my FAVE still tho <3

ily 2 <333

A night in the DJ room with interesting pop music?

What kind of bizarre fantasy...

it was refreshing, to be honest

I will forever stay WAITING for it #PressedT :(

you are my FAVE still tho <3

ily 2 <333
Did our Great Jaggi hunt mean nothing to you?!?!?!

:(

Mumei

You only prove my point.

Being blatantly "slutty" as you'd like to describe it is in fact very pro-feminism, because it promotes sexual equality. I.e. You don't see people clocking male pop stars like Justin Timberlake and Enrique Iglesias for releasing songs like "SexyBack" and "Tonight (I'm Fucking You)" that are basically anthems about fucking hot women and being giant manwhores. It's acceptable for men to do it. Let a woman do it, however, and she's criticized and slapped with the scarlet letter, as you so wonderfully demonstrated.

"Stripped" in large part was a calculated raging against this, as evidenced by song like this. I suggest you listen to it.

When I saw that self-unaware response to your post that proved exactly what you were talking about ...

idxFNOcZnmJMv.gif

But then, I was not surprised by it either.

Nemesis_

I kind of want to make the new OT just so you flops wont pay dust to Onika

anyways

AvQdOhbCIAAHLJB.jpg

#flawless

I won't pay dust to ANYONE EVER except XTINCTA up until the point she brings out a new ALBUM (which is what will happen if it stays with Koo anyway). :)

We cannot trust our OT to a schizophrenic tbh

7rzar.gif

Majmun

In fact, if anything Christina Aguilera inspired an entire generation of pro-feminism, sexual liberation and activism in mainstream pop. In that respect she's followed in the footsteps of Pop-Feminist Icons like Janet and Madonna more than ANY OTHER POP ACT OF HER TIME. And that INCLUDES Britney. Sorry.

And Beyonce. Bee is a pro in the feminist-pop. No one does it better than her. Dat Bee-swag when she does it

ilNBt.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Nobody will remember Stripped in years to come because a year later a TRUE GODDESS made her VISITATION upon our BLESSED EARS and changed the course of POPULAR MUSIC.

Winehouse_Frank.jpg

royalan

And Beyonce. Bee is a pro in the feminist-pop. No one does it better than her. Dat Bee-swag when she does it

ilNBt.gif

Eh. Destiny's Child era Beyonce was feminist. Solo Beyonce? Uhhh....

I can do for you what Martin did for the people
Ran by the men but the women keep the tempo
It's very seldom that you're blessed to find your equal
Still play my part and let you take the lead role
Believe Me

Pretty much traded in her pro-feminist style for being Jay-Z's accessory.

Nobody will remember Stripped in years to come because a year later a TRUE GODDESS made her VISITATION upon our BLESSED EARS and changed the course of POPULAR MUSIC.

Winehouse_Frank.jpg

You fool. Everyone will remember "Beautiful" and the album it came from. #TIMELESS

And if Frank's the more memorable album, why is it that 90% of the people who loved Back To Black thought it was her only album? Hmmm?

Which is a shame. Frank is a much better album, tbh. "Stronger Than Me" is still my jam

Trigger

Aren't we getting ahead of ourselves? We won't be hitting |OT2| for awhile.

Winehouse_Frank.jpg

I like your taste Mr. Gosling.

7x1Zf.gif

Majmun

Eh. Destiny's Child era Beyonce was feminist. Solo Beyonce? Uhhh....

I can do for you what Martin did for the people
Ran by the men but the women keep the tempo
It's very seldom that you're blessed to find your equal
Still play my part and let you take the lead role
Believe Me

Pretty much traded in her pro-feminist style for being Jay-Z's accessory.

Bee is pretty schizo. One day she's a feminist(run the world), the other day it's all about pleasing her man(countdown).

And she nails both roles like no other.

And I'm definitely ready for some Amy Winehouse love.

ibePzwozytK3rJ.gif

Royalan's right about Christina's Stripped legacy though. Christina challenged younger and older people with videos depicting sexual liberation, and the fact that it became such a controversy was part of what made that era so important. Madonna paved the way in this regard, but things started to get a bit stale before Christina took the baton and ran with it. It was especially controversial (of course) because she was so young, so the legacy she left was all that much more powerful. As for gay awareness, she contributed more to it with that video than Britney and Beyonce have done in their entire careers.

Beyonce isn't so much about sexual liberation or pro-feminism as she is presenting a "music for women by women" dynamic. She's got many empowerment songs under her belt, but her albums and songs sort of cover the broad spectrum of women's issues, from breakups to jealousy to rivalry and inequality. However none of these make me believe that her music is necessarily feminist like Christina's because they're nowhere near as radical or politically charged. It's simply music done by someone who understands her fans' issues. And don't get me started on how she completely ignores her gay fans.

Trigger

Royalan's right about Christina's Stripped legacy though. Christina challenged younger and older people with videos depicting sexual liberation, and the fact that it became such a controversy was part of what made that era so important. Madonna paved the way in this regard, but things started to get a bit stale before Christina took the baton and ran with it. It was especially controversial (of course) because she was so young, so the legacy she left was all that much more powerful. As for gay awareness, she contributed more to it with that video than Britney and Beyonce have done in their entire careers.

Beyonce isn't so much about sexual liberation or pro-feminism as she is presenting a "music for women by women" dynamic. She's got many empowerment songs under her belt, but her albums and songs sort of cover the broad spectrum of women's issues, from breakups to jealousy to rivalry and inequality. However none of these make me believe that her music is necessarily feminist like Christina's because they're nowhere near as radical or politically charged. It's simply music done by someone who understands her fans' issues. And don't get me started on how she completely ignores her gay fans.

I've never noticed that till now.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Carly Rae Jepsen Hits No. 1

Carly Rae Jepsen sends her pop culture juggernaut "Call Me Maybe" to No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100, dethroning Gotye's "Somebody That I Used to Know," featuring Kimbra, after eight weeks at the chart's summit.

"Call," the choice for buzz-worthy YouTube sing-and/or-dance-along videos from everyone from Justin Bieber and some high-profile friends to the Harvard University baseball team, rises 2-1 on the Hot 100 courtesy of gains on the Digital Songs, Radio Songs and On-Demand Songs charts.

The cut logs a fourth week at No. 1 on Digital Songs with a 4% gain to 296,000 downloads sold in the chart's tracking week, according to Nielsen SoundScan. With its latest sales frame, it passes the 3-million mark (3.3 million) in downloads sold to date.

Carly Rae Jepsen: Meet Justin Bieber's Favorite New Artist

On Radio Songs, "Call" lifts 4-2 with 117 million in all-format audience (up 14%), according to Nielsen BDS. It also climbs 2-1 on the mainstream top 40-based Pop Songs radio airplay chart.

As on the Hot 100, the song succeeds Gotye's track at No. 1 on On-Demand Songs, where it pushes 2-1 with 1.1 million on-demand streams, according to BDS.

With her Hot 100 coronation, Jepsen is the first lead female to top the chart in a debut visit since Ke$ha sent "TiK ToK" to the top for nine weeks beginning the week of Jan. 2, 2010. Before that, Lady Gaga was the last rookie female to conquer the Hot 100 on a first try when "Just Dance," featuring Colby O'Donis, began a three-week command the week of Jan. 17, 2009.

Jepsen is in good company: following "TiK ToK," Ke$ha has added seven more Hot 100 top 10s, including her second No. 1, "We R Who We R," in 2010. Lady Gaga, of course, has become not only a chart force but also a worldwide household name. She's banked 10 more Hot 100 top 10s after "Dance," including two more No. 1s, "Poker Face" (2009) and "Born This Way" (2011).

"Call" was first a hit in Jepsen's home country of Canada, as the Mission, British Columbia, native took the song to No. 1 for four weeks on the Billboard Canadian Hot 100 beginning in February. After fellow Canadian Justin Bieber Tweeted his affinity for the song to his more than 20 million Twitter followers and produced a video in which he, Selena Gomez and Ashley Tisdale sang it, the U.S. success of "Call" surged. Jepsen has since signed with Bieber's manager, Scooter Braun.

Gotye's "Somebody," meanwhile, slips 1-2 on the Hot 100 after its eight-week reign. The song remains atop Radio Songs for a fourth week (141 million, down 3%), holds at No. 3 on Digital Songs (213,000, down 14%) and descends 1-2 on On-Demand Songs (1 million, down 4%).

The Nos. 3 and 4 songs on the Hot 100 remain static from last week: Maroon 5's "Payphone," featuring Wiz Khalifa, and fun.'s former six-week Hot 100 No. 1 "We Are Young," featuring Janelle Monae, respectively.

One Direction's former No. 4 hit "What Makes You Beautiful" rises 6-5, swapping spots with Nicki Minaj's "Starships" (5-6), while Flo Rida's "Wild Ones," featuring Sia, stays at No. 7.

After the song became her 22nd Hot 100 top 10 last week - the fifth-best sum among women in the chart's more than five-decade history, Rihanna's "Where Have You Been" pushes 9-8 this week. It bullets again at No. 9 on Radio Songs (74 million, up 14%) and powers 32-23 on On-Demand Songs (335,000, up 17%). On Digital Songs, "Where" falls 6-7 (132,000, down 9%).

Katy Perry flies 19-9 on the Hot 100 with "Wide Awake," the second single from her "Teenage Dream: the Complete Confection" reissue album. First single "Part of Me" debuted at No. 1 the week of March 3. "Awake," Perry's 11th career top 10 dating to her first, the seven-week No. 1 "I Kissed a Girl" four years ago, and her eighth consecutive top 10 single promoted to radio (six of which have topped the Hot 100), claims dual top Digital and Airplay Gainer honors on the Hot 100, bounding 12-4 on Digital Songs (173,000, up 60%) and 35-14 on Radio Songs (49 million, up 40%).

Katy Perry Wants a 'F---ing Vacation' After Next Single

"Awake," which Perry first performed live at the Billboard Music Awards (May 20), is approaching the 50-position On-Demand Songs chart, with 215,000 on-demand streams (up 69%) in the survey's tracking week.

Rounding out the Hot 100's top 10, Bieber's "Boyfriend" slides 8-10. With the teen superstar's third studio album, "Believe," due Tuesday (June 19), another track from the set, "All Around the World," featuring Ludacris, is the Hot 100's Hot Shot Debut at No. 22. It starts at No. 5 on Digital Songs (157,000). Last week, fellow preview cut "Die in Your Arms" entered the Hot 100 at No. 17 and Digital Songs at No. 4 (185,000).

When I first heard the song about 2 months ago I never thought it would reach #1
iboEs6yg1SLgos.gif

Wut, why?

During her concerts she only mentions "ladies" and "fellas" in the context of relationships. During Single Ladies she'll say "ladies, put your hand in his face," and pretty much any time she addresses her audience it's based on hetero-normative assumptions. One can easily surmise that the giant sea of sparkly gentlemen in her audience are gay, the most popular Single Ladies re-enactment video is by a gay man, and while she has a small straight guy following (R&B singers tend to bring it both straight genders) the majority of her male fans are of course gay. She did one interview with a gay publication where she said that when she mentions "ladies" she's referring to both women and gay men. Terrible cop-out, but it's the closest she's gotten to mentioning gay people publicly. I won't try to link this with the fact that she's an R&B (and religious) singer but I'll just say that it's surprising that she hasn't had outwardly vocal moments toward the sea of gay fans, even at her concerts. Britney hasn't done so either. Christina, Madonna and Gaga deserve all the credit on this one.

royalan

H1rgm.gif

I love it when you post in this thread, Soulscribe. You should do it more often.

And I was just talking to my roommate about how, outside of a a few brief "blink and you'll miss it" flashes of gay men in two of her videos, Beyonce rarely if ever acknowledges her gay audience. Which is strange because it's pretty undeniable at this point that the queer community (gays and gay allies) makes up the vast majority of her visible fanbase.

The optimist in me prefers to believe that it's because she's built her career around avoiding anything even remotely controversial (except for when it comes to plagiarism), so she's too afraid to rock the boat and plant her feet firmly on either side of anything that might be a social issue.

But in my most bitter moments, I'm reminded of a certain proverb: If you don't have anything nice to say...

You guys are acting like Stripped represented something new or interesting.

Pop music didn't start in 2000, folks.

Uhhh...

Madonna paved the way in this regard, but things started to get a bit stale before Christina took the baton and ran with it. It was especially controversial (of course) because she was so young, so the legacy she left was all that much more powerful.

A statement that I wholeheartedly agree with.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Adele's '21' Hits 24th Week at No. 1 on Billboard 200 Albums Chart

As of this week, 21 equals the two soundtracks' 24-week runs at No. 1, as Adele's smash set returns to the top of the Billboard 200 chart.

21 sold 75,000 copies last week, according to Nielsen SoundScan -- about 2,000 copies ahead of the No. 2 album -- Alan Jackson's debuting Thirty Miles West. Adele's album was last No. 1 -- for its 23rd week -- on the tally dated March 17.

Alan Jackson, Beach Boys, Neil Young Debut High On Billboard 200 Chart; Adele Returns to No. 1

21 holds the most frames at No. 1 since Prince & the Revolution's Purple Rain soundtrack also spent 24 weeks atop the list in 1984 and 1985. Only eight albums -- including 21 -- have ruled for at least 24 weeks.

Here are the albums with 20 or more weeks at No. 1 in the 56 year history of the Billboard 200 chart:

Weeks at No. 1, Title, Artist, Peak Year

54, West Side Story soundtrack, 1962**
37, Thriller, Michael Jackson, 1983
31, Rumours, Fleetwood Mac, 1977
31, South Pacific soundtrack, 1958
31, Calypso, Harry Belafonte, 1956
24, 21, Adele, 2011
24, Purple Rain, Prince and the Revolution/Soundtrack, 1984
24, Saturday Night Fever soundtrack, 1978
21, Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em, M.C. Hammer, 1990
20, The Bodyguard, Whitney Houston/Soundtrack, 1992
20, Blue Hawaii, Elvis Presley/Soundtrack, 1961

** (The figure of 54 weeks at No. 1 combines the set's time atop separate stereo and mono LP charts before the Billboard 200 became a singular ranking the week of Aug. 17, 1963.)

21 has never left the top 10 in its entire 68-week chart run, dropping only as low as No. 7 on the Dec. 10, 2011, chart. It debuted at No. 1 on the March 12, 2011, chart.

It also continues to reign as 2012's best-selling album in the U.S. -- by far. It has sold 3.52 million this year. The second-largest seller is Lionel Richie's Tuskegee, way back in the runner-up slot with 862,000.

21's overall U.S. sales stand at 9.34 million, making it the 24th biggest seller in America since SoundScan began tracking sales in 1991. The biggest album in that span is Metallica's self-titled 1991 album, with 15.78 million sold.

ibbOAYeNS7S47W.gif

Uhhh...

A statement that I wholeheartedly agree with.

Before even Madonna.

You guys are acting like dressing up like a tart and screaming "LIBERATION! EMPOWERMENT!" is something refreshing. It wasn't prior to Stripped, it wasn't during that "era", and it isn't now.

Take a deep breath and say it with me:

These are pop stars.

They do not care about you.

They make, in consultation with a team of producers, record executives, talent agents, and other corporate officials, career moves that will benefit them. Stripped was nothing more than a cynical attempt at Top 40 success&#8212;and there's nothing shameful in that. Stop pretending like Christina (or Gaga, or even Madonna) did jack squat for "women's liberation" or "gay rights" or whatever other nebulous pap you come with when there were real women and men doing the dirty work decades prior to Christina's existence.

Besides, if the message of Stripped was so earth-shattering, then why was it an "era" in the first place? It was her attempt to sell records. Why is that so hard to accept?

Peru

That's such a cynical view on the world I can't take it seriously. Of course big stars taking clear stances on social issues can do a LOT of good.

royalan

Before even Madonna.

You guys are acting like dressing up like a tart and screaming "LIBERATION! EMPOWERMENT!" is something refreshing. It wasn't prior to Stripped, it wasn't during that "era", and it isn't now.

Take a deep breath and say it with me:

These are pop stars.

They do not care about you.

They make, in consultation with a team of producers, record executives, talent agents, and other corporate officials, career moves that will benefit them. Stripped was nothing more than a cynical attempt at Top 40 success&#8212;and there's nothing shameful in that. Stop pretending like Christina (or Gaga, or even Madonna) did jack squat for "women's liberation" or "gay rights" or whatever other nebulous pap you come with when there were real women and men doing the dirty work decades prior to Christina's existence.

Besides, if the message of Stripped was so earth-shattering, then why was it an "era" in the first place? It was her attempt to sell records. Why is that so hard to accept?

Ew.

Not here for "It's only music/video games/fashion/sports!" teas, tbh.

I mean, what would be the point of discussing anything then? Why does GAF even exist?

In my opinion there is never anything wrong with appreciating the discussion of social issues through performance art, even if it is ultimately a product. I mean, at the end of the day, popular music is ultimately a reflection of culture, so why is it so impossible to think that an artist might shoot for communicating something substantial and culturally relevant?

The Stripped era is only an "era" in the sense that Christina's image, singles, and tours at that time were meant to promote that specific album. But if you've ever listened to Christina's discography, which you clearly haven't, you'd know that ALL of her music has strong feminist overtones. Right up to Bionic. It's how she's built herself up as an artist.

And questioning 90s-era Madonna's contribution to the feminist movement via music? I'm really starting to wonder how old you are...

I agree, but "you are beautiful in every single way" is not a "clear stance on a social issue."

No, it's not. But that's not the point of that song. "Beautiful" is about general empowerment and self-acceptance.

However, THIS:

So-what am I not supposed to say what I'm saying
Are you offended with the message I'm bringin'
Call me whatever 'cause you words don't mean a thing
Guess you ain't even a man enough to handle what I sing
If you look back in history it's a common double standard os society
The guy gets all the glory the more he can score
While the girl can do the same yet you call her a whore
I don't understand why it's OK,
The guy can get a way with it the girl gets named
All my ladies come together and make a change
And start a new beginning for us, everybody sang

Is DEFINITELY a stance on a social issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom