• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one here who doesn't have a female fave? I don't recall any stanning for dudes here.

I... don't recall any males being bought up in here at length aside from the atrocious 1D, and I use the term "male" LOOSELY.

GROSS. Seeing MDNSLAY Tour in Milan

551745_253828481384317_1818119652_n.jpg

My people

285723_10151008541480339_40195365_n.jpg

But seriously, dat crowd. That stadium is huge. When is that old hag announcing aussie dates?

Lord knows. Second leg hasn't been announced at all, yet it's coming.

Apparently Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane has been booked for 2 nights in Feb 2013 for a "major event"... grasping at straws :p

ibgmpO1e3564ok.gif

Trigger

Am I the only one here who doesn't have a female fave? I don't recall any stanning for dudes here.

Justin Timberlake, Robin Thicke, and John Legend are some of my male faves, but the last two aren't really pop (and one has forsaken me for movies). Delio has his twink collection too.

Also Prince and MJ get very occasional love, but I think the major issue is the relative youth of virtually every regular member of popgaf. Lots of the folks here came of age in the late 90s and later, when the pop landscape became dominated by solo female artists.

The fact that Koodo did the OP doesn't help...

botty

Banned
Carson Daly posted this blurry The Voice S3 picture on his twitter:

CEtwE.jpg

Xtina still looks flawless despite the blur. She is also really thin, and she did it without an eating disorder.

Flawless?

The blur is so hideous that it looks like her chin makes up 60% of her face, yet you can still spot those strangely shaped legs in any conditions, it seems.

142770.jpg

royalan

Flawless?

The blur is so hideous that it looks like her chin makes up 60% of her face, yet you can still spot those strangely shaped legs in any conditions, it seems.

142770.jpg

Don't see what you're trying to prove. She looks even more flawless in the picture you posted.

Although, I guess when you've been stanning for the undead for so long you forget what living flesh looks like.

I just started reading it, #mess is right

...and people complain about popgaf lingo?

I listen to (way) more hip-hop/rnb than I do pop music and it's still taking me longer than I'd like to decipher all of it

Not gonna lie, she actually does look great in those pics.

And though most of her videos are laughably awful, I love the style of "Only Girl (In the World)".

Mau ®

Only Girl is probably my fave Rihanna video after We Found Love.

I think I started hardcore stanning after Only Girl. I remember it vividly.

I've never been the same since.

And though most of her videos are laughably awful.

Really?

I think most of them are amazing but Im hugely biased. She does have major stinkers though, like You Da One and Te Amo.

Thought you liked the Man Down video?

botty

Banned
Outtakes of RihALLAH's GQ's LOUD era photoshoot leaked..

tumblr_m5kn8hJJPi1qc3ck9o1_500.jpg

I swear LOUD-era Rihanna was FLAWLESS.

Excuse me as I laugh at the thought of Rihanna having "eras". If she didn't change her hair you wouldn't even be able to tell what album this was from. Although I guess you could call the time before Umbrella an "error".

I like Man Down the song; the video does nothing for me, to be honest. Man down also convinced me to purchase Loud.

But yeah the video for Only Girl is great.

iq6mDoM6pitLC.gif

ib19fzvBn727UL.gif

Excuse me as I laugh at the thought of Rihanna having "eras". If she didn't change her hair you wouldn't even be able to tell what album this was from. Although I guess you could call the time before Umbrella an "error".

She very obviously has eras; as we talked about just a few pages ago, her early stuff was much more Caribbean-influenced than her later, modern eurodance stuff.

Mau ®

LOL

Actually there's plenty of sonic differences between all her albums. While a few songs between LOUD and TTT are interchangable (except stuff like WFL, WHYB, TTT and BC).

Anyone with good ear could differentiate between Good Girl Gone Bad-Rih, Rated R-Rih and LOUD-Rih.

But of course extensive sessions of Xtina have PERMANENTLY DAMAGED your HEARING.

aww poor dat #neaux1curr

botty

Banned
LOL

Actually there's plenty of sonic differences between all her albums. While a few songs between LOUD and TTT are interchangable (except stuff like WFL, WHYB, TTT and BC).

Anyone with good ear could differentiate between Good Girl Gone Bad-Rih, Rated R-Rih and LOUD-Rih.

But of course extensive sessions of Xtina have PERMANENTLY DAMAGED your HEARING.

aww poor dat #neaux1curr

Yes, because people actually listen to Rihanna albums.

tumblr_lyuzp99Goq1roez7do1_500.gif

Mau ®

Yes, because people actually listen to Rihanna albums.

tumblr_lyuzp99Goq1roez7do1_500.gif

Actually, more people have listened to Rihanna's albums since GGGB than Xtincta's.

She's outsold "Back to being a Basic Bitch" and "Bubonic", as well as "Keeps Getting Worse".

You have no ground to stand on, yet again....

botty

Banned
Actually, more people have listened to Rihanna's albums since GGGB than Xtincta's.

She's outsold "Back to being a Basic Bitch" and "Bubonic", as well as "Keeps Getting Worse".

You have no ground to stand on, yet again....

No one cares about a Rihanna song that isn't released as a single.

Icicle

With Botsis on this one. An "era" is a memorable, significant, or otherwise important period of time. I don't think Rihanus can say she's had a single era, only an legacy of flop albums. After all...

pixt-1-a39dbe6cf5bc989d2ba9d419697260d4.gif

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
In a less thirsty change of topic...

Any Christina Perri fans up in here? Because I hated this song at first, but Jar of Hearts has come back around and bit me in the ass. I've been jamming it all damn day.
I've hated that song from the first time i heard it and thought she was Avril Lavigne. Still do - they always play it on the radio here and it's such a morose, horrible song.

With Botsis on this one. An "era" is a memorable, significant, or otherwise important period of time. I don't think Rihanus can say she's had a single era, only an legacy of flop albums. After all...

OK.

Here's the thing.

Her albums aren't "flops" by any reasonable definition of the term. None of them have hit number one on the charts, yes, but all but her very first have gone at least Platinum in the US. By your own definition, Janet's last two albums were terrible failures, and Damita Jo barely limped across the Platinum line, if Wikipedia is to be believed. Talk That Talk will easily Plat, especially if WHYB keeps doing well.

She doesn't have a legacy of "flop albums". Her legacy is being a wildly successful pop star with a number of great hits despite having no redeemable qualities whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom