• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

botty

Banned
Is anyone else excited to see Lady Gaga's cockroach hat?

rhobh-cam-judging.gif

The Sun reports that Lady Gaga, who prefers odd fabrics, to say the least, asked her team to create some headwear filled with the cockroaches after learning of a study which suggests the creatures respond more to her music than that of any other artist. Play Gaga music and the insects dance!

A source said, "Lady Gaga has been looking to top her famous meat dress for some time and this could be it. She dubbed cockroaches 'My real life monsters' after hearing of the recent study. Now she wants to incorporate them in a headpiece by having them crawling around inside a netted cage."

As if we need proof that she appeals to lower lifeforms. Glad I got out of the vermin business when I did.

flirty.gif

Mau ®

I'd be here for that cockroach hat tbh.

They're the one insect I despise but I always have a mordbig curiosity about them. It's kinda like my relationship to Lady GaGa, tbh.

botty

Banned
I'd be here for that cockroach hat tbh.

They're the one insect I despise but I always have a mordbig curiosity about them. It's kinda like my relationship to Lady GaGa, tbh.

I have a strange curiosity for it too. I also wanna see the drama that follows.

tumblr_m5byq3AHZ51qcwgrvo1_500.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Update since I last left the thread: Madonna stans still desperate to drag Gaga, almost as though there's something they're hiding...
like the fact that Gaga is just a better pop star than Madonna come 2012.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I really do wish we had something good to discuss

its just been Xtina, Gaga, Madonna, or Rihanna shade for the last pages
and the fact that Call Me Maybe is #1 shows what a dreadful summer this is
ibqxaeHmAIOIAo.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned

ibqxaeHmAIOIAo.gif

Agreed.

Every page somehow ends up in talking about the pop princesses and shading the others. What a boring time period to be a pop-stan.

royalan

ibqxaeHmAIOIAo.gif

Don't get me wrong, I love that some of my favorite industry vets are making comebacks this year (Godtina, God Stefani and the No Doubts, Mariallah, etc.)

But I think what's making this year dull is that most of those powerhouse acts (including some that don't make my exclusive faves' list like Ke$ha) aren't really hitting until late Summer/Fall.

Meanwhile 2012 has been front-loaded with a bunch of boring nobodies that only get some mild shine because there's nothing else to listen to. I mean, that Gotye song is good, but not slay the world good. And does anybody see Carly Rae Jepson being more than a one-hit-wonder? Cuz I sure don't.

Pop's been in a terrible state this first half of the year. I was really hoping we'd get another Gaga - i.e. some previously-unknown bitch that just comes out of nowhere and slays with hit after hit after hit. But nope.

Nobody's even trying to break new talent these days (Unless you count That Flop From Vampire Diaries. But really nobody's here for that.)

Pop's been in a terrible state this first half of the year.

But it really hasn't; there have been tons of new and great pop acts and some amazing EPs and albums released this year. Perhaps none that have broken out on Top 40 radio, but pop music is much, much more than the Billboard Hot 100.

botty

Banned
But it really hasn't; there have been tons of new and great pop acts and some amazing EPs and albums released this year. Perhaps none that have broken out on Top 40 radio, but pop music is much, much more than the Billboard Hot 100.

Is Pop that isn't Popular ironic?

royalan

I don't know. I mean, the same can be said about every year. Personally, I just don't see much Pop music coming out in 2012 that's made much of an impact. That damn Euro-Dance "We in the club! Turn it up!" trend still hasn't died and Top 40 is staler than ever. But I've yet to hear anything bubbling underground (and I've posted some of it in this thread) that made me think "Damn, that's going to smash, and it deserves to." But I know this is all personal opinion.

I mean, my favorite Pop song this year, bar none, is Cassie's "King of Hearts" which, for all its attempts to be bargain-basement Dance music, actually comes out sounding fresher than any Dance song on radio. But of course it flopped.

Lana Del Rey released the best Pop album of the year so far, but that's really just telling of how dull Pop is these days because as much as I love that album I didn't see it taking off either.

For all the shade she gets (which has included me at times), I can honestly say that Lady Gaga with the original "The Fame" album was the last time I heard Pop that I felt deserved to be doing as good as it was. That album was fresh, refined yet intriguingly amateurish, and Gaga presented it with a level of artistry that, frankly, hasn't been present in mainstream Pop for years.

I can see Koodo filing this post away to #CLOCK me sometime in the future.

I don't know. I mean, the same can be said about every year. Personally, I just don't see much Pop music coming out in 2012 that's made much of an impact. That damn Euro-Dance "We in the club! Turn it up!" trend still hasn't died and Top 40 is staler than ever. But I've yet to hear anything bubbling underground (and I've posted some of it in this thread) that made me think "Damn, that's going to smash, and it deserves to." But I know this is all personal opinion.

I mean, my favorite Pop song this year, bar none, is Cassie's "King of Hearts" which, for all its attempts to be bargain-basement Dance music, actually comes out sounding fresher than any Dance song on radio. But of course it flopped.

Lana Del Rey released the best Pop album of the year so far, but that's really just telling of how dull Pop is these days because as much as I love that album I didn't see it taking off either.

For all the shade she gets (which has included me at times), I can honestly say that Lady Gaga with the original "The Fame" album was the last time I heard Pop that I felt deserved to be doing as good as it was. That album was fresh, refined yet intriguingly amateurish, and Gaga presented it with a level of artistry that, frankly, hasn't been present in mainstream Pop for years.

I can see Koodo filing this post away to #CLOCK me sometime in the future.

If the question is impact, then yeah, I agree it's been a pretty shitty year.

But you've pointed out a few really stellar songs/albums (I'm still jamming to Agnes' "One Last Time" and Cassie's "King of Hearts" on a daily basis). I would love to see pop music I actually enjoy do better than it does, but as long as it's still being made I can deal with a lack of mainstream popularity or impact.

Kyon

Banned
giving circus teas with that look. I'm here for Britney doing something different with her hair tho also the dress is very ITZ-ney. any more shots? I think it will look better in motion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom