• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Okay, just checking.

What happens to failed pop stars? They obviously all can't live the Paris Hilton life. Maybe Mya is a school librarian now or an F1 pit crew member.

Cynosure

vKiJx.gif

Tell me PopGAF are not into the One Direction virus I find all over tumblr.

:0

I didn't recognize you without your wonderwoman avatar.

I didn't know you were into kkk-pop
:p

Mumei

I kind of figured you'd be mad.

but not this mad. Damn boo.
Quite the quintessential pressed lamb.

stan bias delusion. Besides, even if that video had a point, I can never trust a note that comes out of that fraud's mouth

idxFNOcZnmJMv.gif

... I waited for this? I'm disappointed in you. I was at the very least hoping to be contradicted at some point. Or even just entertaining gifs with stan catch phrases and such. But all I get is an extended 'u mad' and 'lol pressed' post? Does this mean that you're coming to terms with Christina's lack of technical ability? I remember when I first posted about it, you pushed back rather forcefully, but have more or less stopped since then.

In any case, to clarify: I was not, in fact, mad. As anyone I have spoken to can attest, I found the whole thing rather amusing and was rather looking forward to your response, since your stanning style is very entertaining.

Second order of business: Yes, she lips on occasion. Actually, one of the notes in that video was lipped; the C5 at 0:49. As I said; she's past her prime and can't do what she once could, or at the very least not reliably enough to do it live with anything resembling consistency. But Christina never could, and therein lies the difference. I'm not in any denial about her vocal decline - and yet she's still better than Christina live.

And my choice of that cute gif of Mimi was to show that I wasn't really trying to come after you, a message that went over your head.

Thanks for the translation!

They go on reality shows.

ixCO3R4lAukKx.jpg

ib1Rwp672apsBb.gif

Koodo I usually let you have your fun, but you did NOT just go after Brandy and Monica.

I don't care how bad their new song is, those girls have some totally and completely flawless singles under their belts. I know you young people have a warped definition of "talent" (your continued unwavering support of Flopga is evidence of this), but dismissive shade thrown towards Brandy and/or Monica is simply not acceptable. You best back down.

i0x9JzTJYR9CL.gif

ib1Rwp672apsBb.gif

Koodo I usually let you have your fun, but you did NOT just go after Brandy and Monica.

I don't care how bad their new song is, those girls have some totally and completely flawless singles under their belts. I know you young people have a warped definition of "talent" (your continued unwavering support of Flopga is evidence of this), but dismissive shade thrown towards Brandy and/or Monica is simply not acceptable. You best back down.

i0x9JzTJYR9CL.gif

Handbags have been drawn.

What the fuck...

Mumei

How old are you?

I've never liked Christina's voice. She always sounds like she has an avocado seed stuck on her throat that doesn't ever dislodge. Also, she has no restrain to know when a her delivery is good enough and not to go overboard with guttural cow sounds.

SpiffyG

Because of the hate to my bb Nathan and all of One direction >: (. Nah not even bothered or pressed.
So he'd look good in comparison? LOL. I'm sorry, I had to.

You can do better than copy/pasting an old joke from a stan wiki run by people with terrible taste.

Or maybe you can't.

behc9.gif

Older than Koodo, and certainly old enough to know better than to take on some of the best.
Damn, they look great! And... I just got that driving joke... Ha.

royalan

As much of a flop as she has been. Like I said in the 1st few pages of this thread: Brandy is my 2nd fave after Britney, The Boy is Mine was my 1st cd ever. Baby one more time being the 2nd. I will always Stan for Bran like I do Brit. Human was flawless besides the flopping lol. I can't wait for the new album this year. Darkchild can sit.

Brandy has only been a commercial flop. Her last two albums were amazing R&B...

Speaking on Christina, there's a reason why she's one of the best, and it's not just her range. It's everything that she can do with her voice. Christina is, without a doubt, the most versatile singer to come along since the greats (Mariah and Whitney) were in their prime.

--She can sing uptempo songs just as convincingly as any ballad, which knocks pretty much every other current singer out of the running .

--She can sound rock: "Fighter"
--Pop: [too many to list]
--Jazz: "I Got Trouble" "I Love You Porgy"
--R&B: "Sex For Breakfast" "Prima Donna" "Slow Down Baby"
--Soul: "Impossible" "Keep On Singing My Song"
--She can be a chanteuse: "Nasty Naughty Boy"
--She can be indie: "Elastic Love"
--She can be a feature queen for Hip-Hop artists when she wants to be: "Tell Me" "Tilt Ya Head Back" "Moves Like Jagger" <--realize that last one's not Hip-Hop
--And she can perform complex choreography AND sing a song, live, in it's entirety: "Show Me How You Burlesque"
(Not to Koodo: that last one is not Brit shade. I love me some Britney, too)

In short, while I won't deny Christina's occasional vocal shortcomings and her tendency to oversing, this does nothing to change the fact that she is the most thrilling display of vocal ability, versatility, and showmanship of any major act that's not named Whitney Houston or Mariah Carey. While your faves get stuck in Mariah-lite ballad hell (Hi Leona), or bitch and moan about a producer giving them a Beyonce rip-off only to turn around and release a Bruno Mars ripoff like a desperate hypocrite (Hi Kelly Clarkson), Xtina's vocals allow her to flit and float between countless genres and make them her own. This is undeniable fact. Only Beyonce comes close. You are nothing but pressed if you attempt to claim otherwise.

And this is why I will always stan for her.

royalan

It really sucks that Christina fans shunned Bionic. That's some of the best stuff she's ever done IMO.

Agreed. Bionic is a much better album than people give credit, and features a lot of the type of singing people claim she doesn't do enough of.

Mau ®

Agreed. Bionic is a much better album than people give credit, and features a lot of the type of singing people claim she doesn't do enough of.

Bionic has some of her best material in her career as well as some of her worst.

I can only imagine the kind of album it could've been had they not tacked on the generic shit at the last minute.
cry05.gif

SpiffyG

Bionic has some of her best material in her career as well as some of her worst.

I can only imagine the kind of album it could've been had they not tacked on the generic shit at the last minute.
cry05.gif
Which tracks are the worst and generic in your opinion?

edit: Just looked at the tracklisting... ummm... bloated much?

Mau ®

Which tracks are the worst and generic in your opinion?

Not Myself Tonight
Desnudate
I Hate Boys
Glam
Sex for breakfast
Vanity (this one is a guilty pleasure but still...)

They sounded dated in 2010. And yet killer tracks like Birds of Prey, Monday Morning and Little Dreamer get Deluxe Edition treatment. For shame, for shame...

I hope we one day hear the Goldfrapp track as well...

SpiffyG

Not Myself Tonight
Desnudate
I Hate Boys
Glam
Sex for breakfast

They sounded dated in 2010. And yet killer tracks like Birds of Prey, Monday Morning and Little Dreamer get Deluxe Edition treatment. For shame, for shame...

Oh my god!!! I thought Birds of Prey and Monday Morning were on the standard edition. WTF. Those songs are soooo good! For shame!

royalan

Not Myself Tonight
Desnudate
I Hate Boys
Glam
Sex for breakfast

I agree with all of that except for Sex for Breakfast. It didn't fit the majority of the material she recorded for Bionic, so it did stick out awkwardly. But Sex for Breakfast (along with Morning Dessert (Intro) ) were great R&B tracks on their own.

Koodo

Banned
You can do better than copy/pasting an old joke from a stan wiki run by people with terrible taste.

Or maybe you can't.

behc9.gif
That's really all she's remembered for these days.

iS6re6CUgZsbv.gif

And calling her the best? Please, TLC was a better R&B entity in the 90s. Did Brandy ever craft a song as inspirational and timeless as Unpretty?

I didn't think so. Which leads me to my next point:

Your Godga shading is uncalled for. What is Brandy's contribution to society other than a discography that is all but forgotten? While Brandy keeps trying to claw herself out from the depths of the Mariana Trench, The Holy Lady has introduced a foundation intended to better the lives of youth across the nation and the world. Of course, her exemplary charity work is the icing on her exemplary commercial and critical achievements. Gagalupe has garnered more receipts in three years than Brandy has in ten. Here are just a few:

- Nearing 100 million records sold (Brandy only has 50 million)
- 5 Grammy Awards (Brandy only has 1)
- 3 Hot 100 #1s (Brandy has 2)
- 11 Hot 100 Top 10s (Brandy has 6)

Maybe Brandy should start doing charity work to repent for that innocent life she took.

And I really don't know anything about Monica, other than one of her albums is inexplicably in my house and that she, too, has flopped.

If you're going to come for me, at least use Björk. That woman has actually accomplished something worthwhile.

Delio

In some other news. The Wanted recently sat down for a interview with the People and had some colorful things to say about One Direction.

Nathan, 18, said: "If you look at One Direction's chart position and then look at ours, they're not really even our rivals.

"They have different fans to us. We don't want their fans, they're too young.

"We laugh and say that their fans are our fans' younger sisters. We have our own success going on in America and it isn't just with the music."

And

Jay said: "One Direction are smashing it. Along with Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez they are on the front of all the teenage magazines in America because the young girls love them.

"But, on the other side of the coin, we are on the radio stations talking about our music."

Also looks like they get a lot of chicks in the states

Jay thought back to his time in the States - and struggled to wipe the massive grin off his face.

The 21-year-old said: "I slept with more girls in America in one month than I have for a whole year in the UK. The boys who are not single help me, they make way for me. And Americans' boobs are lovely.

And finally

"We tend to start on beer and then go on to spirits. Then of course we will take the 1D boys to a strip club. I would love to see their faces when we suggest that. I think it's highly unlikely they have ever been to one before."

These Boyband wars are so cute. Probably 99% of this is made up anyways :)

Kyon

Banned
It's 87 million, but a stan always has to round up.
OBj3m.png
You have a point lmao. At the end of the day though Godney remains Best Selling Female artist of the decade. I remain Unbothered and un-pressed
wyE2W.gif

EDIT: Brit has nothing to do with this lmao

SpiffyG

I really don't understand why people ever compare sales when having these little stan wars. Yes, because what's popular is automatically "better" than what's not as popular. I fail to see the logic. I mean look at Katy Perry.

royalan

Record sales don't impress me in a world of 99 cent songs.

Let alone 99 cent albums
OMYB6.gif

You know, speaking of, I really am curious about how Gaga's next album is gonna fare. A lot of people suspect she's peaked and, honestly, now that the hype's died down I do think Born This Way is a HAM outside of 2 or 3 songs. And this is coming from someone who counts The Fame as one of the top 3 best Pop albums of the last decade.

Delio

I really don't understand why people ever compare sales when having these little stan wars. Yes, because what's popular is automatically "better" than what's not as popular. I fail to see the logic. I mean look at Katy Perry.

Are there any Katy stans on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom