• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyon

Banned
I really don't understand why people ever compare sales when having these little stan wars. Yes, because what's popular is automatically "better" than what's not as popular. I fail to see the logic. I mean look at Katy Perry.
I think sales are brought up because dragging someone for your faves talent is never ending. Bringing up sales receipts is easier to clock the tea and move on to the next.

EDIT: Phono has a point this era album sales are totally different from before lmao

Kyon

Banned
Ive never seen a Katy stan here. lol
5gBJ0.gif

Koodo

Banned
Wiki says 64 million, but that's from December 2010. I take it they've updated.
23 million albums (only 400k of which were sold at 99 cents), and 64 million singles sold worldwide.
OBj3m.png

I really don't understand why people ever compare sales when having these little stan wars. Yes, because what's popular is automatically "better" than what's not as popular. I fail to see the logic. I mean look at Katy Perry.
I agree, but these hoes are trying to dismiss Godga's critical achievements into the ether. There is no other remedy but to cite numbers.

You know, speaking of, I really am curious about how Gaga's next album is gonna fare. A lot of people suspect she's peaked and, honestly, now that the hype's died down I do think Born This Way is a HAM outside of 2 or 3 songs. And this is coming from someone who counts The Fame as one of the top 3 best Pop albums of the last decade.
Her new tour has lodged instant and multiple sell outs, including stadium sell outs. Her star certainly doesn't seem to be fading, even though her radio and digital success over the past year dipped a bit.

Of course, we won't truly know how her album career is faring until the next album releases, but I really don't see her having a problem charting high-est provided she doesn't take a drastic turn further down the unconventional (not that I would mind that).

royalan

Of course, we won't truly know how her album career is faring until the next album releases, but I really don't see her having a problem charting high-est provided she doesn't take a drastic turn further down the unconventional (not that I would mind that).

I would. :(

I get that an artist like Gaga is going to continuously evolve their image, but I do hope she tones it down a bit next album era. It's gotten to the point where it distracts from her performances, and wears people out.

I miss Fierce Gaga.

Mumei

I didn't even like the Spice Girls back then. But then I didn't know I was gay then, either, so maybe things would have been different. Who knows.

Speaking on Christina, there's a reason why she's one of the best, and it's not just her range.

Her range when she was new was pretty damned impressive

C1 C#1 D1 Eb1 E1 F1 F#1 G1 G#1 A1 Bb1 B1
C2 C#2 D2 Eb2 E2 F2 F#2 G2 G#2 A2 Bb2 B2
C3 C#3 D3 Eb3 E3 F3 F#3 G3 G#3 A3 Bb3 B3
C4 C#4 D4 Eb4 E4 F4 F#4 G4 G#4 A4 Bb4 B4
C5 C#5 D5 Eb5 E5 F5 F#5 G5 G#5 A5 Bb5 B5
C6 C#6 D6 Eb6 E6 F6 F#6 G6 G#6 A6 Bb6 B6
C7 C#7
D7 Eb7 E7 F7 F#7 G7 G#7 A7 Bb7 B7

Koodo

Banned
I would. :(

I get that an artist like Gaga is going to continuously evolve their image, but I do hope she tones it down a bit next album era. It's gotten to the point where it distracts from her performances, and wears people out.

I miss Fierce Gaga.
Well, her next album is rumored to be returning to the topic of fame, but with a darker tone (dealing with the "crimes" and repercussions of fame).

I'm really excited to see how she would handle that. The Fame was an outsider's analysis of celebrity culture; this time around, she would be speaking from experience.

Who's checking though.
EsbvG.gif

tumblr_lztyfjitGg1qaa3kzo1_500.jpg

She was my fave too. I had little gay explosions whenever she attempted to sing in español during Spice Up Your Life.

Every time she opened her mouth to sing live it was an experience, a kind of "will she or won't she" scenario, where the chances of her hitting a note were as low as Victoria Beckham having a successful solo career.

Baby Spice was always the lessor.

In every way but weight.

Kyon

Banned
Geri got SUPER ripped in their "Headlines" comeback video though. I remember her being in a bra and panties in that video

And I really don't know anything about Monica, other than one of her albums is inexplicably in my house and that she, too, has flopped.

Ah yes, the classic Koodo "my comical ignorance of a great artist renders them irrelevant" argument. I look forward to next week's Billboard numbers so I can figure out who you'll champion.

13vej.gif

If you're going to come for me, at least use Björk. That woman has actually accomplished something worthwhile.
I don't really think anybody can argue with this.

FV1Zj.gif

oh god does this mean I'm old, too
Yes. Just listen to the way they talk! It's a totally different era. Best to just accept it.

Record sales don't impress me in a world of 99 cent songs.

Let alone 99 cent albums
OMYB6.gif
mmmm We need more posts like this in the thread, frankly.

SpiffyG

For those who are too young to remember, Monica has had a ton of hits:

Don't Take It Personal (Just One Of Dem Days) - This was her first single and hit. She was 15. Sound familiar?
Before You Walk Out Of My Life - Not quite as big as Don't Take It Personal, but still a classic!
Why I Love You So Much - Another hit for young Monica.
For You I Will - This might sound familiar, it was pretty big.
The Boy Is Mine - (Of course)
The First Night - I love this song so much. It was a smash.
Angel Of Mine - OMG. Amazing and really popular at the time.
[Street Symphony] - This was never a hit unfortunately, but it's one of my favorites.
So Gone - This was her comeback single after "The Boy Is Mine" era.
U Should've Known Better - Follow up hit after So Gone.

Because, for some reason, we have reached this point in discussion:

Pop Life: I'm in a Girl Group!

Documentary exploring girl groups from the inside out. Chart legends including members of Bananarama, The Supremes, The Ronettes, The Bangles, The Pussycat Dolls, The Saturdays, Mis-Teeq, Atomic Kitten, Spice Girls, Sugababes and Girls Aloud discuss life in a girl group. Originally aired on BBC2.

Don't Take It Personal (Just One Of Dem Days) - This was her first single and hit. She was 15. Sound familiar?
Before You Walk Out Of My Life - Not quite as big as Don't Take It Personal, but still a classic!
[Street Symphony] - This was never a hit unfortunately, but it's one of my favorites.
All these classic jams!

She's also had several hits on urban radio. Still Standing was a fantastic R&B album, and "Love All Over Me" and "Everything to Me" are just great music.

first song is undisputed classic

28 here :*{

OMG, her Ginger holiness is rightfully mentioned in this thread.

Ginger Spice was pretty much what I aspired to be as a young gay child growing up in Lebanon. I wanted to be as fabulous, sexy and large-breasted as she was, and my four girl friends and I used to roleplay as them pretty much every waking hour we were together. And I was always Geri.

I used to wear my mother's bras and stuff them with socks for added realism.

Cynosure

there's a reason why Christina is one of the best, and it's not just her range. It's everything that she can do with her voice. You are nothing but pressed if you attempt to claim otherwise..

iblFI5T5WsFWul.gif

Christina never could, and therein lies the difference. I'm not in any denial about Mariah's vocal decline - and yet she's still better than Christina live.

and you wonder why I didn't try with you.

discrediting Christina's place in the royal vocal kingdom is very like of you pressed lambs; stale, weak and just so tired.

What happens to failed pop stars? They obviously all can't live the Paris Hilton life. Maybe Mya is a school librarian now or an F1 pit crew member.
They go on reality shows.
ixCO3R4lAukKx.jpg

#1 show on t.v

kIU8r.png

When is Mimi No1curry gon do it?

Wftht.gif

iP1zU.gif

I look forward to next week's Billboard numbers so I can figure out who you'll champion.

Focp6.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned

This. was. my. song.

smh at the Monica/Brandy shade. As irrelevant as both of them are now, they've earned shade protection for being so amazing.

I'm here for Monica/Brandy as well. Angel of Mine is flawless and Brandy's Never Say Never was one of the first albums I had...

(after Donna Lewis, Shania Twain and Madonna
ZIK9k.gif
The gayness, lawd hammercy
)

or bitch and moan about a producer giving them a Beyonce rip-off only to turn around and release a Bruno Mars ripoff like a desperate hypocrite (Hi Kelly Clarkson)
Which Bruno Mars song is this supposed to be a rip-off of?
HxQJ3.gif

I'm just surprised a Christina stan of all people would call anything a "ripoff" or "desperate" after her last lead single.

SpiffyG

All these classic jams!

She's also had several hits on urban radio. Still Standing was a fantastic R&B album, and "Love All Over Me" and "Everything to Me" are just great music.
I didn't know those were hits. I kinda stopped paying attention to her after "After The Storm". She just wasn't making my kind of music after that. :\

first song is undisputed classic

28 here :*{
Just one of dem daaaays, that a girl goes throoough. When I'm angry insiiiyiiide, don't wanna take it out on yeeeoouu!

I still listen to Miss Thang every now and then and marvel that she was 14 when she recorded it...
Seriously amazing album.

This. was. my. song.

smh at the Monica/Brandy shade. As irrelevant as both of them are now, they've earned shade protection for being so amazing.
So Gone was such a perfect comeback single. I remember watching the airplay charts for that song like a hawk because I just wanted it to be a smash... And it was!!

I'm here for Monica/Brandy as well. Angel of Mine is flawless and Brandy's Never Say Never was one of the first albums I had...

(after Donna Lewis, Shania Twain and Madonna
ZIK9k.gif
The gayness, lawd hammercy
)
I remember tuning into TRL during the whole "Boy Is Mine" era and especially when "Angel of Mine" came out. I loved seeing that video on TV daily.
The Boy Is Mine was my first album, after the fucking Titanic soundtrack. Beat that.

MTV said:
Coming off the success of Teenage Dream, which debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200 chart and produced five #1 singles, Perry is not looking to outdo herself on her next musical effort. She's just going to follow her instincts.

"I don't want to give too much away. I also don't want to play the game of trying to continually top myself because eventually it may not always go as I planned," the singer said. "I may not get to be able to have another #1, so I'm just gonna do what feels right for me artistically. I'm very inspired at the moment, and so I'm gonna follow my heart as I always have and hopefully people will like it."

The idea of this creature

EOY2O.jpg

making a deep, introspective, "artistic" record is laughable to me. I'd be fine if she just tried to recreate the magic of Teenage Dream (the song), though.

Koodo

Banned
She at least can write a song and play guitar, more than Ri-

Almost forgot about the temporary truce.

rihannablush.gif

I think Perra is capable of doing something nice. A stripped down album from her would be interesting. Her voice is actually good when she sings her style (hint: not the pop manufactured for Teenage Dream).

Kyon

Banned
I'm honestly waiting for Hilegend DuffSus to finish recording her new album that she's been working on. I'm done waiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom