• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

ADORBS!!

Royalan loves the chil-ren

But I don't know if I can sit idly by and allow the ABUSE of subjecting your precious young one to the, frankly, dangerous levels of flopsbestos present in The Flopted's music, interviews, and all manner of public appearances.

rukland

Confirmed... Pop-Gaf has the music taste of 9 year olds.

Hey at 9 you are not jaded and full of spite for everything but what you like. So I am guessing her music tastes are better then most of ours. She has very little pre-conceived notions to get as spiteful as we as adults are.

Koodo

Banned
Hey at 9 you are not jaded and full of spite for everything but what you like. So I am guessing her music tastes are better then most of ours. She has very little pre-conceived notions to get as spiteful as we as adults are.
Robido is older than Madonna.

Trigger

Is there anything that old?

You're fitting in just fine so far. We need more people with such good taste.

pStsR.gif

Sai-kun

Banned
Rukland is the best dad ever for playing NIN for his kid. Pretty Hate Machine is some solid pop.

p.s. what the christ

400 posts to go. i need to get this OP in shape. attn: gerls (you know who you are). let's finalize dis ish?

rukland

Rukland is the best dad ever for playing NIN for his kid. Pretty Hate Machine is some solid pop.

Almost made me spit out my drink there, pop does not equal PHM. Maybe The Hand The Feeds but PHM is not pop. Oh god don't make me that guy that defends NIN.

Almost made me spit out my drink there, pop does not equal PHM. Maybe The Hand The Feeds but PHM is not pop. Oh god don't make me that guy that defends NIN.
The problem is that you are equating 'pop' with 'bad', which is exactly the line of thinking we popgaffers should be fighting. I'll admit I haven't heard Pretty Hate Machine, but looking online it seems like many outlets are putting it under the rock, EDM, and synthpop umbrella.

rukland

Have you been to plug.dj? I am not sure if I recognize your name or not.

Nope I have not been there, just kinda lurk around here. Only post when I really care about something.

The problem is that you are equating 'pop' with 'bad', which is exactly the line of thinking we popgaffers should be fighting. I'll admit I haven't heard Pretty Hate Machine, but looking online it seems like many outlets are putting it under the rock, EDM, and synthpop umbrella.

Not at all, PHM was early industrial if anything. The Hand That Feeds was more pop for sure in the sound. I don't equate pop to being bad. But if we are going to pick a NIN album that is pop it has to be THTF.

Sai-kun

Banned

Really? I mean, it's not straight up pop, but it's pretty synthpop-y, I think. Obviously it's mostly industrial, but that's not all there is to it. I would say it's probably the most pop-sounding/influenced of all of Trent's albums.

Examples:

Ringfinger
Down In It (sorta)
Kinda I Want To
Sin

edit: added links for people to listen

Not at all, PHM was early industrial if anything. The Hand That Feeds was more pop for sure in the sound. I don't equate pop to being bad. But if we are going to pick a NIN album that is pop it has to be THTF.

You mean With Teeth? No way! With Teeth is definitely a bit more upbeat and 'dance'-y than PHM, I think, but there really isn't much of a pop sound there like there is on PHM.

Sorry, in that case. I just inferred that you were equating pop with bad because of you wanting to 'defend' NIN from the accusation

rukland

Really? I mean, it's not straight up pop, but it's pretty synthpop-y, I think. Obviously it's mostly industrial, but that's not all there is to it. I would say it's probably the most pop-sounding/influenced of all of Trent's albums.

Examples:

Ringfinger
Down In It (sorta)
Kinda I Want To
Sin

I can sorta see that but really THTF is so pop as is much of the With Teeth album. PHM was more to me industrial but it could just be me not being able to look past the labels I have put on all the NIN albums at this point. As someone who was at the last show in Vegas I have some pretty set views on Trent and NIN as a whole.

Koodo

Banned
Multiple rumors around pitchfork that Lady Gaga is here. I thought she was still in Australia?
There are pictures of her at the festival in the previous page. She left Australia last week after finishing the Oceania leg and ruining careers.

EDIT: beat-en.

Sai-kun

Banned
I can sorta see that but really THTF is so pop as is much of the With Teeth album. PHM was more to me industrial but it could just be me not being able to look past the labels I have put on all the NIN albums at this point. As someone who was at the last show in Vegas I have some pretty set views on Trent and NIN as a whole.

I think we have different views on what a pop sound is, haha, which is fine. :p I think you and I might be some of the only NiN fans in here. What are your favorite songs/albums? just out of curiousity.

edit: to clarify, i don't think that With Teeth isn't poppy, I just think PHM is much more so. "Only" is like...classic pop-rock, haha.

There is no you, there is only me
There is no fucking you, there is only me

Trent's a great lyricist.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I think we have different views on what a pop sound is, haha, which is fine. :p I think you and I might be some of the only NiN fans in here. What are your favorite songs/albums? just out of curiousity.

edit: to clarify, i don't think that With Teeth isn't poppy, I just think PHM is much more so. "Only" is like...classic pop-rock, haha.

Trent's a great lyricist.

Only is one of my favourite songs of his. "Yes, I'm alone... but then again I always was.." *wall of fucking awesome noise* It's also the point for me that he acknowledged and almost completely dropped that angsty style of his previous stuff.

I'm a massive NIN stan. I flew to London for two shows at Brixton in '05, as well as Sydney a few times for others and obsessively collected all the albums and singles on CD :p I'd agree that some of his other albums have a pop sensibility, I wouldn't classify them as 'pop' as such, though.

I love his music, no one nails (ha) that really aggressive, metallic synthy but catchy sound anymore. Social Network and Dragon Tattoo soundtracks are both fantastic - can't wait for his new stuff.

These still ahve pride of place on my shelf <3
iS7TZjNJczLTa.jpg

I don't even listen to cd's anymore :p

rukland

massive[/I] NIN stan. I flew to London for two shows at Brixton in '05,

Wait you where at Brixton in '05? No way so was I, I am right there with you on Nine Inch Nails. Best night of my life was the final show in Vegas, here is hoping he is serious about touring again in the future. Being married to a flight attendant is awesome for taking trips just to see concerts.

Sai-kun

Banned
This I can agree with for sure. No matter how you sort his music he is a great songwriter.

I meant it sort of sarcastically. Some of his songs are just gut wrenching and deep, and absolutely perfect in every way, and then we get

Getting a little erratic here
And I don't know who to trust
I guess they got a way of reading my mind
I guess I got to adjust
I've got my arms that flip flop flip flop flip
I got my head on spring
Well I thought I got you on my side
I haven't got fucking anything

syNmb.gif
flip flop flip flop flip
syNmb.gif

bad stan confession: i've never seen NIN live before :( never will now. unless he maybe plays something when he (maybe) tours with HTDA. Also I found Closure (VHS tapes) in a trash bin in the alley once. SEALED. Got that shit on my shelf.

Ollie Pooch

Wait you where at Brixton in '05? No way so was I, I am right there with you on Nine Inch Nails. Best night of my life was the final show in Vegas, here is hoping he is serious about touring again in the future. Being married to a flight attendant is awesome for taking trips just to see concerts.
Awesome! July 13/14 I think? Great show, though I think that With Teeth era was pretty weak compared to the others.

That last show would have been so good - Soundwave in Perth was the last time I saw them, was the loudest and most aggressive show I'd seen. Loved it.

And yeah, some of Trent's lyrics are TERRIBLE. Other times he has some great moments - TBH I'm glad he started focusing on a lot more instrumental stuff like Ghosts, the instrumentals on the slip, stuff like that, rather than pretending he's still a miserable pissed off person. HYPERPOWER! is fucking great.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The only thing I know about Trent Reznor is that he used to be pretty hot and also he is pressed because Radiohead are way bigger than NIN.

Ollie Pooch

Lyrically, I think Year Zero is some of his best stuff. In This Twilight guts me every time I listen to it. It's so tragic.
Yeah, that song gets me. So sad - has such a weird sound to it, too. Pig percussion. Lol. Year Zero has one of my fav NIN moments in God Given - "Wait..."

I don't see him as pressed about Radiohead's success, at all. Not going by this interview, anyway.

Sai-kun

Banned
God Given is an AMAZING song, and totally worth posting in this thread because it's kinda poppy. ;)

I love the beat for the song too. Very dancey and smooth.

Now I"m just gonna listen to NIN all day. Also, Fur Lined is my favorite How To Destroy Angels track so far, mostly because the drums are so reminiscent of Only.

Mau ®

New Rihanna single in the next two months baboons. Her manager has confirmed.

Today we party in anticipation for the generation's ultimate hitmaker yearly return.

tumblr_m77zpeQiK21rpb754o9_r1_250.gif

tumblr_m77zpeQiK21rpb754o4_250.gif

Ollie Pooch

God Given is an AMAZING song, and totally worth posting in this thread because it's kinda poppy. ;)

I love the beat for the song too. Very dancey and smooth.

Now I"m just gonna listen to NIN all day. Also, Fur Lined is my favorite How To Destroy Angels track so far, mostly because the drums are so reminiscent of Only.
Step aside, out the way!

The Space in Between is my favourite, it has a great build to the end. Speaking of builds, Closer is his best, imo. So monstrous. Isn't there new HTDA due out soon? I reckon he's gonna drop it any day now.

Eugh, that old bag has been exposing her bits again. Quel dommage. Desperation.

Sai-kun

Banned
Step aside, out the way!

The Space in Between is my favourite, it has a great build to the end. Speaking of builds, Closer is his best, imo. So monstrous. Isn't there new HTDA due out soon? I reckon he's gonna drop it any day now.

Eugh, that old bag has been exposing her bits again. Quel dommage. Desperation.

The EP is just awesome from beginning to end. So many interesting sounds and directions for them. New HTDA was due out in 2011 but delayed b/c of the Dragon Tattoo soundtrack. Hopefully it actually comes out this year. Trent made a comment somewhere about a whole bunch of different media coming out soon. Hopefully music videos and stuff like that :) I just really really want a full LP from HTDA. I love Mariqueen's voice.

Ollie Pooch

The EP is just awesome from beginning to end. So many interesting sounds and directions for them. New HTDA was due out in 2011 but delayed b/c of the Dragon Tattoo soundtrack. Hopefully it actually comes out this year. Trent made a comment somewhere about a whole bunch of different media coming out soon. Hopefully music videos and stuff like that :) I just really really want a full LP from HTDA. I love Mariqueen's voice.
Yeah, it's an awesome mix of that style with her smooth voice.

He tweeted a while back that they were doing a listen to the final HTDA album in the car on Mulholland Drive or something. Should be out soon, I hope.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
tbh I think they might be onto a good thing. Bring out a new album every year, keep on top of the latest producers, get the best songwriters on it.

I guess it guarantees she'll always be a singles artist but I don't think she much cares.

And the navy apparently don't either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom