• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
15552r4.jpg

Performing some new songs. (just short clips)

Only If For a Night

Heartlines

So excited for this album.
2qvcpb7.gif

Sai-kun

Banned
Holy shit the drums on Only If For A Night. Fucking wow. Omg.

I can't, guys. I can't. Also florence is just too gorgeous.

Delio

SecretMoblin said:
Great find, Del! J-Pop is very hit-or-miss with me, but she seems juuuuust bizarre enough for me to get behind.

Also, this:

------

Also, lookie what I found: Robin Stone singing the classic 90s dance tune "Show Me Love" live a few years ago. She seems so casual given the occasion, but that voice... DAMN. I thought she was lip-syncing at first, but no. That is talent, pure and simple.

And her comments at the beginning make me kinda sad, actually. :-(

Aw yay for support ^_^

Sai-kun

Banned
In Today's edition of Kelly Clarkson Is Awful, I present to you: All I Ever Wanted

Now, the song itself isn't bad, but she just does not do the original version justice. Allow me to present one of my favorite bands, Aranda, the original writers of both All I Ever Wanted and Whyyawannabringmedown.

All I Ever Wanted (super extra definitive version because kelly sux lmao)

;P I only post this cuz I was listening to Aranda a bunch tonight and wanted to hear what Kelly's version was like.

Edit: Here is the definitive version of Whyyawannabringmedown. Kelly's version could be good, but she just doesn't have the voice for it :/

Sai-kun said:
In Today's edition of Kelly Clarkson Is Awful, I present to you: All I Ever Wanted

Now, the song itself isn't bad, but she just does not do the original version justice. Allow me to present one of my favorite bands, Aranda, the original writers of both All I Ever Wanted and Whyyawannabringmedown.

All I Ever Wanted (super extra definitive version because kelly sux lmao)

;P I only post this cuz I was listening to Aranda a bunch tonight and wanted to hear what Kelly's version was like.

Edit: Here is the definitive version of Whyyawannabringmedown. Kelly's version could be good, but she just doesn't have the voice for it :/
Jesus Christ couldn't make those songs good sry2say. A shitty song is shitty even if you like the no1curr demo band more.

(I actually hate the All I Ever Wanted album except for a few songs Kelly wrote herself. Stronger is looking to be her best album yet thankfully)

Oozer3993

Crumpet Trumpet said:
I'm really excited, I used to stan for Jojo tbh.

Now I know what it means when you say that ignorance is bliss.
But, I'm gonna make it impossible for any girl to keep up with my tricks.

You can do your thing right now.
Just keep it on the low.
If you're feeling guilty baby,
Just keep lying to me.

Oozer3993

SecretMoblin said:
Crumpet I think you're being called out.

Nah, just sharing something from Jumping Trains. I saw her live a couple weeks ago and she performed a new song called Lie to Me off the album and it is awesome.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Oh man, Robyn's version of "Since U Been Gone" is terrible. I would take a bullet for you, girlie, but let's pretend this one never happened.

Have we talked about how cool j.Que's original mix of "Best Thing I Never Had" is? I assume the sound was probably too dated compared to the rest of the album (hence the reason it was listed as "90s mix") but I feel like this is way better than the relatively bland ballad thing Beyonce ended up with.

On the other hand, Sunday Girl's "Love U More" is so full of pop potential, but I think the vaguely trance-y production (again, very much a throwback to the '90s) holds it back from greatness. Something a bit lighter, maybe with real instruments, would work better. I'll keep an eye on what she's got in the works, though.

Midnight Matters does an awesome remix of Adele's "Set Fire to the Rain." At the risk of alienating a chunk of her fanbase, I'd kinda love to hear more like this on her next disc.

Had some recent disappointment with Nicola Roberts' album, unfortunately. Those singles were great, but the rest of the songs ended up being totally forgettable. A shame.

Koodo

Banned
Robyn has an angelic voice but she was straining with Kelly's SUBG. That song was made for bigger pipes, which Clarksonica has in spades.

Anyhow...

Cosmic Bus said:
Have we talked about how cool j.Que's original mix of "Best Thing I Never Had" is? I assume the sound was probably too dated compared to the rest of the album (hence the reason it was listed as "90s mix") but I feel like this is way better than the relatively bland ballad thing Beyonce ended up with.
o gerl, this is a mess. I'm actually quite fond of the original (it's my second fave on the album after "I Was Here"). This is just... I don't know, it takes away all the anthemic power of the song. I can't grab a tv remote and pretend to be a diva with this version.

Robyn's covers are sadly miss-or-miss. In addition to that amazingly blah KC cover, she really stunk all over Hyperballad.

Björk's face says it all:

iYOSgBQ4lGBdB.gif

The worst part is that the orchestral arrangement is so Nordic and cold and gorgeous and haunting. It sounds like Sigur Rós doing the cover, but it's overrun with bad electronics and meh vocals from Robyn.

And I'm not even going to link to the unspeakably awful cover of When Doves Cry. If you want to bask in its awfulness you can seek it out for yourself, but if you have any love for Prince I would suggest you don't.

-------------------------

PhoenixDark said:
Why anyone continues to pay attention to him is a mystery to me.
It's almost certainly fake.

-------------------------

Oh yeah, and this:
Cosmic Bus said:
Midnight Matters does an awesome remix of Adele's "Set Fire to the Rain." At the risk of alienating a chunk of her fanbase, I'd kinda love to hear more like this on her next disc.
Incredible.

She should totally mix some dance in with her ballads.

Monocle

SecretMoblin said:
Robyn's covers are sadly miss-or-miss. In addition to that amazingly blah KC cover, she really stunk all over Hyperballad.

Björk's face says it all:

http://i.minus.com/iYOSgBQ4lGBdB.gif

The worst part is that the orchestral arrangement is so Nordic and cold and gorgeous and haunting. It sounds like Sigur Rós doing the cover, but it's overrun with bad electronics and meh vocals from Robyn.
Your post had me expecting the song to sound like aluminum foil underpants, but all Robyn did was give it a pleasantly upbeat twist. The cover is inoffensive at worst. I like it. Robyn's version is warm and bubbly to Bjork's stark and raw. It's fine that they have different styles; Bjork can't be emulated and Robyn was wise not to try. To be quite honest I have no idea what you're going on about.

Cosmic Bus said:
This is actually blowing my mind. The first minute or so sounds like something straight out of a classic Sonic game. Interestingly enough, the Sonic series had some great soundtracks until they started straying from Pop and into "Rock" territory...and the quality of the games themselves, of course, took a nosedive. Sonic Rush and Sonic Colors, two of the most recent entries with Poppy soundtracks, are widely considered to be the best games in the modern era. Funny how that works.

Leona Lewis said:
So fierce.

She sings and dances with this controlled rage. It's hard to pin down, but everything she does is like an intense fart that never bubbles up to the surface and leaves you feeling somewhat queasy as a result.
Leona gurl, I know Glassheart will be fierce too! Boo at it being pushed back to 2011. And also boo at Melanie Fiona's MF Life being pushed too.

i actually love the countdown video!
Leona Lewis said:
She sings and dances with this controlled rage. It's hard to pin down, but everything she does is like an intense fart that never bubbles up to the surface and leaves you feeling somewhat queasy as a result.
LOL. Best description I've ever read directed at Beyonce

Koodo

Banned
Nothing extraordinary, but colorful and fun. Better than the boring mess that was the video for BTINH.

I also found it touching how her pregnant self wasn't dancing that much but she still had them backup dancers pussy popping in the background. Mamayonce.

Leona Lewis said:
It's hard to pin down, but everything she does is like an intense fart that never bubbles up to the surface and leaves you feeling somewhat queasy as a result.
11ju4bk.jpg

Sai-kun

Banned
Not on my desktop so i can't post any links, but ive been jamming to

Coldplay - Paradise
Florrie - Begging Me
Natalia Kills - Free (without will.i.am ugh)
Marina & the Diamonds - Radioactive

Edit: Marina's second album, Electra Heart, was confirmed for early 2012! Cannot wait!

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
alternade said:
Whats on heavy rotation right now for you guys? Im looking for new music

You Make Me Feel... - Cobra Starship
Criminal - Britney Spears
Hello - Martin Solveig feat Dragonatte
Government Hooker - Lady Gaga
Ni Rosas, Ni Jugetes - Paulina Rubio

I need new music too...

Status
Not open for further replies.