• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

I watched In the Pale Moonlight earlier. Such a great episode if let down by some uncharacteristic wonky acting by Sisko.

After watching some Garak episdoes back to back I'm fully on #TeamGarak. Best character in DS9

Good starting point for Star Trek Extended Universe?

I found most of what Peter David wrote very enjoyable, if generally high concept. Additionally, I'm told that the Starfleet Corps of Engineers series is pretty solid.

Thing is, there wasn't much in the way of controls for the books. The fans wanted something to read, and they farmed them out, hard. They sort of got more organized about fifteen or twenty years ago, but I feel the added discipline hurt more than helped.

Couldn't be too bad to consult one of the lists, like this one. I particularly liked the inclusion in this and similar lists of "Enterprise: The First Adventure", which was ridiculous on a conceptual level but worked out really well, probably due to some really tight character development and interaction. I'd also look at a couple of the "Star Trek Phase II" episodes, which certainly have their issues (notably overacting from the principle actor, but he's an Elvis impersonator normally, so I sort of understand) but occasionally pull off a solid storyline or character moment.

Is that the episode where the station's defense systems take over? that episode was awesome, dukat and garak owned that episode. garak owns every episode he is in.

Garak even owns episodes that he's technically not in.

antonz

Oh, well that's a shame. Is there a reason for this? Poor writers, or lack of support from TV producers/right owners?

Shatnerverse isn't too bad. 10 books in total now. Covers from after Generations etc. Its a divergent timeline of sorts.
He works with real star trek writers so they are generally decent books. Especially if you like the idea of more Kirk and Picard and crew team ups
http://www.goodreads.com/series/54019-the-shatnerverse

I found most of what Peter David wrote very enjoyable, if generally high concept. Additionally, I'm told that the Starfleet Corps of Engineers series is pretty solid.

Thing is, there wasn't much in the way of controls for the books. The fans wanted something to read, and they farmed them out, hard. They sort of got more organized about fifteen or twenty years ago, but I feel the added discipline hurt more than helped.

Couldn't be too bad to consult one of the lists, like this one. I particularly liked the inclusion in this and similar lists of "Enterprise: The First Adventure", which was ridiculous on a conceptual level but worked out really well, probably due to some really tight character development and interaction. I'd also look at a couple of the "Star Trek Phase II" episodes, which certainly have their issues (notably overacting from the principle actor, but he's an Elvis impersonator normally, so I sort of understand) but occasionally pull off a solid storyline or character moment.

Thanks for this, I've bookmarked it and I'll look at it int he morning.

I enjoyed Voyager, but what bugged me was how quickly they just accepted they were so far away from home, and how long it was going to take to get back. Sure they always looked for a quicker way home, but no one flipped out at being 'lost' and 'stranded'.

Then the ending was like... oh we're home. YAY!

Shatnerverse isn't too bad. 10 books in total now. Covers from after Generations etc. Its a divergent timeline of sorts.
He works with real star trek writers so they are generally decent books. Especially if you like the idea of more Kirk and Picard and crew team ups
http://www.goodreads.com/series/54019-the-shatnerverse

I'll check this out too, thanks!

Wag

I used to read the Trek books like 20yrs ago, so probably the original series books and some of the TNG books. As I recall some of them were OK, some like Spock's World were standouts tho.

I'm hesitant to get back into reading Trek novelas again just because there are so many of them.

Watching the Baseball episode of DS9,

How can no one catch a ball goddamn it. Your telling me kira a member of the resistance has never had something thrown at her?

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Wow.

At first i assumed the extras would be on a separate disc, but after reading it's behind Best Buys shitty video site, no thank you.

I'll wait for the complete series set with "New Extra never before seen bonus content!".

Pretty much how I feel, and what I'll do.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Holy crap, I'm so into Star Trek. I am mr. Star Trek,

Sephzilla

is there anywhere to watch ds9 online?

31hx4yW3BqL._SL500_AA300_.png

VALIS

Watched an episode from TOS season 1 last night, The Corbomite Maneuver. Questions. And spoiler alerts, obviously.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Corbomite_Maneuver

Was the whole thing a ruse on Balok's part, or just parts of it? Balok wanted to test their intentions to see if they were peaceful or not, but what was the actual test they passed? They couldn't fire on Balok because he turned the ships functions off. Did they pass the test in that they came and "rescued" him once his ship was supposedly stranded during the tow? But what if Kirk didn't come up with his corbomite bluff, then what would've happened? Or what if the Enterprise didn't break free during the tow? Yes, he's a brilliant and creepy little alien child with the teeth of 60-year old, but it seems a little far fetched for him to assume these things would've happened.

Anton668

PayPal is an option with them.

im thinking he may mean free?

anyways....

watching Voyager I've noticed everyone on that show is a "close talker". like no matter how large the set is, when two people talk they are damn near inches apart. Cant unsee it since I noticed it....

At this point I'm really not understanding the hate for Enterprise. Only halfway through Season 1, but it's had a good pace, decent character setting and some good 'Star Trek' story lines. The overall story arch I'm not too sure on at the moment, as it seems to be such a slow burn it rarely features.

At this point I'm really not understanding the hate for Enterprise. Only halfway through Season 1, but it's had a good pace, decent character setting and some good 'Star Trek' story lines. The overall story arch I'm not too sure on at the moment, as it seems to be such a slow burn it rarely features.

Yeah, it gets too much hate. The first season is pretty decent... while it lacks very good episodes, it also doesn't have very bad ones either. It's a shame Season 2 doesn't really get anywhere, and at that point the series becomes quite dull. Season 3 is much more interesting, and Season 4 is the best Trek season after TNG ended.

benjipwns

Banned
Enterprise came in just wrong after Voyager and they do fuck around with the canon. And they botched almost everything that could turn hype against them.

But it's not a horrible show, I think it's probably better on a per episode basis than Voyager's first four seasons. It does a lot of things Voyager should have done in terms of "we're alone" even when it's bringing in familiar races.

It does get jerked around a lot because of how quick it changes focus over four seasons. I think there are some hidden gems in season two though where writers had figured out some stuff even as the show was in a clear limbo before the Xindi arc.

The Temporal War arc was always bad and an indication of who created the series. (If you watch the pilot, pay attention to when it goes off the rails rather than be an interesting look at the first "Enterprise" on its first mission.)

Although I am a sucker for Scott Bakula. He's probably what took Men of a Certain Age from solid to awesome for me.

Won

Enterprise was just so forgettable. I would love to say more on it, but I can't really remember anything worthwhile about this show.

The show having absolutely 0 presence on TV here these days of course doesn't help. It's like everyone tries to ignore that it even exists.

Walshicus

Enterprise was just so forgettable. I would love to say more on it, but I can't really remember anything worthwhile about this show.

The show having absolutely 0 presence on TV here these days of course doesn't help. It's like everyone tries to ignore that it even exists.
Voyager was forgetable. Enterprise had a shaky start but ended up as some of the best tier Trek.

rykomatsu

I wish Jeffrey Coombs had more air time as Shran. I think between Weyoun and Shran, it came acrosas him really enjoying and getting into his respective characters.

Oh, well that's a shame. Is there a reason for this? Poor writers, or lack of support from TV producers/right owners?

No oversight in how the license was used or the content of the books. The writers of the different series often did their own thing without continuity with another's work, so there wasn't really an expanded universe created. Like how Shatner did a series of his own novels. The older novels especially are a mess with lot getting written over by later TV series and movies.

maharg

idspispopd
Is that the real way they were able to home in on the Klingon ship in Star Trek VI? They found where it had the fact that it was on written on it?

benjipwns

Banned
I wish Jeffrey Coombs had more air time as Shran. I think between Weyoun and Shran, it came acrosas him really enjoying and getting into his respective characters.
Shran on the ship in a fifth season is one of those amazing or horrible ideas. No inbetween really.

Based on how Enterprise was trending, I'd give em the benefit of the doubt on a fifth season.

Shran on the ship in a fifth season is one of those amazing or horrible ideas. No inbetween really.

Based on how Enterprise was trending, I'd give em the benefit of the doubt on a fifth season.

Star Trek shows are often defined by their "outsider" character. Shran held humanity in general contempt but was willing to work with them to achieve common aims. I think that approach would give that otherwise common "fish out of water" scenario a bit of newness. Think 7 of 9 mixed with Odo, minus silly powers, plus more of a tendency to deliberately ignore or cross the intent of the Captain.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Anyone else been following SFDebris' "Astromech Spy"? series this week. Pretty amusing so far.

Wonder if I should make a general SFDebris thread. I think people outside of TrekGAF would enjoy it.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else been following SFDebris' "Astromech Spy"? series this week. Pretty amusing so far.

Wonder if I should make a general SFDebris thread. I think people outside of TrekGAF would enjoy it.

I've watched so many of Chuck's reviews that, every time I read R2's subtitles, I can just hear the former's voice.

Top Bottom